• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

I disagree, they're low for January too. I follow US sales plenty and this still seems pretty embarassingly low. My main concern is actually how little last gen must be selling. Back in 2007 when other consoles launched the PS2 was still a powerhouse, but we have nothing like that now. The console market at least is significantly smaller and I expect this to be affirmed over the coming months.

Well keep in mind last gen lasted 8 years, far longer than PS2.

Meier

Until the Xbone drops to $400, it'll continue to get hammered. People just don't care about Kinect. The stuff it offers is never going to be worth paying $100 more. $500 with Titanfall included may make up for it a bit.

nib95

Banned
Friends, Games, Controller, OS, Price are the biggest reasons, not 1080p, you're living in a bubble, the average consumer really doesn't give a shit.

Of course they do. And average gamers aren't the ones mainly buying the Xbox One or PS4, the hardcore gamers are.

OneUh8

Now we know why that "Microsoft insider" came on here a few weeks ago spilling all kinds of things. They trying to generate any type of hype. ;)

We should note the bold had 5 weeks in January, while the others only 4.

Using a simple weekly average:

PS2: 50k
XBX: 32k
GC: 15k

Wii: 87k
360: 62k
PS3: 49k

PS4: unknown (65k ~ 75k)
XBO: ~36k
Wii U: 11k

Sony considerably up GoG(gen over gen)
MS/Nintendo back to XBX/GC levels, from 87k to 11k damn

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Now we know why that "Microsoft insider" came on here a few weeks ago spilling all kinds of things. They trying to generate any type of hype. ;)

Honestly I wouldn't put it past MS at this point. Has that insider guy even been back since then?

KoopaTheCasual

Do you think that digital sales would be enough to not only make up for the massive decline but actually result in growth that was comparable to Jan 2007?

Another fun fact: if numbers in this thread are worth going by, PS3/360 combined sold better in Jan 2007 than PS4/Xbox One in Jan 2014.

Xbox
Jan 2007: 294,000
Jan 2014: 143,000

PlayStation
Jan 2007: 244,000
Jan 2014: ~286,000

Yeah, this generation isn't going to be as awesome/successful as people think it is. PlayStation is at least lucky it can steal away some of the customers it lost to Xbox last time.
Odd, that Xbox 360 number seems 50k off. Everyone else with numbers have it listed at 240k that first January.

Guevara

Xbox really needs to be a success fast in my opinion, given the new CEO and investors calling for the program to be spun-off.

What? He just said a the writing has been on the wall for a Xbox One without Kinect for a while

Don't get me wrong, I trust CBOAT more than most, but I still think Kinect is a big differentiating factor for the box. I'm not saying for the gaming aspect (they'd drop it in a minute for that), but it segues nicely with their view of the Xbox as an entertainment box. Dropping the Kinect (to me) is in a way dropping the hope for it to become this all-in-one mass consumer hit, and that's not something I see MS being ready for.

I can honestly see them taking the $100 hit before that (investors be damned), and internal discussion CBOAT may be privy of are just that, discussions. We'll see what happens though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And software was cheaper to make back then. If this market shrinks to Sub PS2 generation levels which it is looking highly likely. There won't be enough market to support all those varied games. Hell won't be enough to support anything but the anual top dog franchises with such a small market.
Over-emphasis on the AAA franchises in your analysis. Platform owners have made significant strides in lowering the basic cost of entry for smaller developers, Kickstarter now offers a significant infusion of new money from non-traditional publishing sources and the overall marketplace opportunity is greatly expanded thanks to new mobile platforms.

I disagree, they're low for January too. I follow US sales plenty and this still seems pretty embarassingly low. My main concern is actually how little last gen must be selling. Back in 2007 when other consoles launched the PS2 was still a powerhouse, but we have nothing like that now. The console market at least is significantly smaller and I expect this to be affirmed over the coming months.
You realize PS4's sold more in it's first January than the PS2 did, right?

Yep, it's no coincidence he arrived the same day of the month that MS released sales numbers for Dec for Xbone. They got early numbers at MS and decided to put some other info out, Also it got people to stop talking about paying off youtubers.

Don't get me wrong, I trust CBOAT more than most, but I still think Kinect is a big differentiating factor for the box. I'm not saying for the gaming aspect (they'd drop it in a minute for that), but it segues nicely with their view of the Xbox as an entertainment box. Dropping the Kinect (to me) is in a way dropping the hope for it to become this all-in-one mass consumer hit, and that's not something I see MS being ready for.

I can honestly see them taking the hit before that (investors be damned), and internal discussion CBOAT may be privy of are just that, discussions. We'll see what happens though.

I can't stand the Kinect, and I use my Xbox One without it, despite the punishment that is the constant reminder in the top right corner that it's unplugged.

Syrus

Banned
The true numbers will be Holiday 2014. If MS cant even come close to closing the gap then they have to definently do something.

I hope I didn't waste my money ;/. That said I can easily buy a PS4 if I need to

KoopaTheCasual

It'll fall behind during the 2014 holidays. The PS2 2001 holiday line-up was ridiculous.
But the PS4's year 3 line-up looks like it's going to be a lot bigger. There's also the fact that those same franchises that boosted the PS2 are much bigger now, and while they are mulitplat, they still sell better on Sony hardware. Then you have new huge IPs with unknown potential (I'm looking at you, Destiny) that are being closely marketed with Sony.

That's great.

Hopefully that will conter the decline in software sales since we are only looking at one side of it.

It will help the most in determining the success of titles on the PC.

Seeing PC sales from only the retail market paints a very different picture than if we were to combine Steam + Origin + etc. sales.

knitoe

Friends, Games, Controller, OS, Price are the biggest reasons, not 1080p, you're living in a bubble, the average consumer really doesn't give a shit.
Friends are moving to the more powerful PS4. And, telling their friends to do the same. That's what I got my X360 friends to do. People need to realize the days of brand loyalty are long gone. People readily moves from one brand to another and back.

Games. Ps4 has and will have the better ports.

Controllers. Not a difference maker to average consumers. Personally, it's not a big deal as it was compare to the X360 vs PS3. PS4 controller has greatly improved.

Prices isn't a big deal. Their are plenty of products on the market where people spend more if they feel it's a superior item.

Average consumer are easily sway by friends, social media and etc. and, they are telling them to get a PS4 instead of X1.

Until the Xbone drops to $400, it'll continue to get hammered. People just don't care about Kinect. The stuff it offers is never going to be worth paying $100 more. $500 with Titanfall included may make up for it a bit.

I would buy that. I'll jump on the Xbox One once it drops to $400, but I don't want to miss out on what the whole system was designed around.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wow @CBOAT, really skeptical about that no kinect thing. Price drop to $400 is a sure thing though, at least by summer/early fall.
So a Kinectless Xbone earliest in summer that will drop the price of the Xbone you're really skeptical about.

But a $100 price cut with all features as they currently stand by summer/early fall is a sure thing?

Do you even read your own posts before you submit? :p

Sorral

Was this posted? Didn't see:

John Kollar interview on PS blog: Q&A: PS4 By the Numbers

John Koller: The response has been fantastic. In the US, PS4 was #1 in sales for next-gen consoles in January, nearly doubling the nearest next-gen competitor. And PS4 remains the cumulative leader here based on today’s report from the NPD Group.

Road

Total hardware:

XBO: ~1.96m

PS4: unknown (2.26~2.29m)

Wii U: 2.1m until December (all by my count).

It seems the PS4 has surpassed the Wii U in the US.

smurfx

get some go again
iHCLvKnsd4DcP.gif

cerny and hirai having a celebration tonight.

PS2 was only out for 5 plus years in NA when 360 came out .
PS4 and X1 are coming out 7 years later so that could be part of the reason .

EDIT forget to mention there was also Wii and most of those people are gone .

Top Bottom