• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

ascii42

Total hardware:

XBO: ~1.96m

PS4: unknown (2.26~2.29m)

Wii U: 2.1m until December (all by my count).

It seems the PS4 has surpassed the Wii U in the US.

Yeah, WiiU can't have made up that difference without outselling the Xbox One.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So 3DS was below the Xbone? That's almost more alarming than the Xbone being nearly dead.

So a Kinectless Xbone earliest in summer that will drop the price of the Xbone you're really skeptical about.

But a $100 price cut with all features as they currently stand by summer/early fall is a sure thing?

Do you even read your own posts before you submit? :p

I see no contradictions in that post. Do you think dropping Kinect is the only way to drop $100?

Spin this for me then: almost 50% less than its supply constrained competitor. Should we predict doom, or a lifetime in second place?

Wasn't it always expected to be second place? So, that's more or less expected. Doom? For a $500 machine that's off to a record setting pace, topped only, I think, by the PS4? That's not exactly an omen of catastrophe. I do agree, however, that possibly being outsold by close to double month after month isn't a particularly good look, and why I think a price drop will be very important for the Xbox One, but I see no immediate cause for alarm yet. And the PS4 supply constrained mantra is just a phenomenon I see on GAF. I've been to best buy and walmart various times this month and last, 3 times in just the past week for different reasons, and PS4s were always available. Are they as freely available as maybe the Xbox One seems to be? No, but an extra drive to a different store, and you'll find them without much hassle. My sister in law actually bought one for her son at best buy Tuesday as a surprise gift if his grades are good.

Exactly 10 PS4s have apparently been stolen at just this one best buy according to the guy working the door that asks to see your receipt when you're leaving, which is why there's now always no less than 3 employees keeping watch on the systems. Funny enough, I couldn't help but ask if any Xbox Ones had been stolen, and the answer was no lol. I'll let people speculate on why. :p

nampad

The Playstation beat the Xbox even in their stronghold while being supply contraint by a factor of 2, that's just crazy.
Sony really delivered and deserve the success. After Microsofts bad messaging and their original vision, there is some schadenfreude in seeing the big drop off in january.
Hope EA also has some sleepless nights over their new unprecedented partnership.

Still, both consoles sold well so the Wii U wasn't really a market indicator and I hope we can finally drop that narration.

Now the waiting game for creamsugar begins :)

Total hardware:

XBO: ~1.96m

PS4: unknown (2.26~2.29m)

Wii U: 2.1m until December (all by my count).

It seems the PS4 has surpassed the Wii U in the US.

wont be that long before its ww is surpassed, Japan wont be overtaken foe a while but the huge EU ps4 numbers vs the steaming crater of EU WiiU sales will more than make up for it

RedAssedApe

Banned
200-300K lead in US doesn't seem that bad. Titanfall can easily bridge that gap IMO. Not sold on Infamous being able to drive sales in the same fashion. We'll see if February repeats though as that will extend the lead further. I see them being about equal or PS4 having a slight lead after March

Kuro

Yeah but I think most seem to recognize that the average Wii buyer was not the typical console audience.

People are forgetting that PC gaming is growing exponentially and could grow even faster with the Steam Boxes. I feel like Steam will make up for the loss of the Wii casual audience.

Friends, Games, Controller, OS, Price are the biggest reasons, not 1080p, you're living in a bubble, the average consumer really doesn't give a shit.

I don't know, I don't think those two matter nearly as much to the average consumer as you think they do.

You are right on the other three. With regards to the friends part, the early adopters tend to help set a precedent. If someone (a more casual gamer) has some "hardcore" gamer friends that have already picked up PS4s (or Xbones for that matter) then that person is more likely to pick what their friends already have. That's where sales now might come into play, just as an example.

Don't want to seem like trying pick at your post but won't DD be able to cover some of that lost along with DLC .
Yes games are more expensive but companies can also make higher profits in certain ways.
So even if a company sell less with more people moving to DD that could off set that or be better for them .
Pick away.

I'm not being a fair poster if I can't learn something from someone else. And honestly I hadn't really thought about it. To a degree even packaged wares cost a lot more than they used too. I got Mass Effect 2 for $30 and after my DLC was tallied I still ended up paying over $60 for it. But I wasn't so much saying anything about big companies. They make big bucks by consolidating development around a few key successful franchise.

I was more talking that Indie devs don't implicitly replace those midtier developers of the PSOne era. Those devs back then were still shooting for the top (occasionally failing of course) but at least capable of keeping pace with the best of PSOne era visuals. Something small to mid tier developers lost the ability to do through the last generation. Budgets and expectations inflated too high. Smaller studios couldn't keep up so they either died or changed. A chunk just lowered their bar entirely. Instead of making titles that could compare with the best of the PS360 they became relegated to a bar spanning the NES era to Xbox. At a much lower price.

While there are more games being made today, most aren't shooting for the same level remotely.

And while this may seem judgmental it isn't. I laud any studio that can look past the fancy tech they want to use, and make a game they can afford to make.

It's a confusing point mind you. But I see a distinct difference between a lot of $50 games releasing like during the PS1 era. And the modern lots of $20 games from that tier of studio and a few on a whole other level selling for $60.

I hope that made any kind of sense and feel free to tear it apart or agree.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This type of difference in sales when the popular games on each system so far have been the same should be telling someone at Microsoft that pricing matters. There doesn't even seem to be much point in Sony doing a lot in terms of first party software until they can ship more hardware.

Crisco

Banned
Man, that's not good, I see stacks of Xbox's everywhere I go now. Even damn Costco, a bulk supply store, had a pallet full of them. It's definitely not a supply problem. On the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever seen another PS4 other than mine.

idlewild_

Do you think that digital sales would be enough to not only make up for the massive decline but actually result in growth that was comparable to Jan 2007?

Another fun fact: if numbers in this thread are worth going by, PS3/360 combined sold better in Jan 2007 than PS4/Xbox One in Jan 2014.

Xbox
Jan 2007: 294,000
Jan 2014: 143,000

PlayStation
Jan 2007: 244,000
Jan 2014: ~286,000

Yeah, this generation isn't going to be as awesome/successful as people think it is. PlayStation is at least lucky it can steal away some of the customers it lost to Xbox last time.

2007 had a 5 week January reporting period, this was a 4 week one.

gioGAF

Exactly 10 PS4s have apparently been stolen at just this one best buy according to the guy working the door that asks to see your receipt when you're leaving, which is why there's now always no less than 3 employees keeping watch on the systems. Funny enough, I couldn't help but ask if any Xbox Ones had been stolen, and the answer was no lol. I'll let people speculate on why. :p
Probably because xbone boxes are much bigger, lol.

Jamix012

PS2 was only out for 5 plus year in NA when 360 came out .
PS4 and X1 are coming out 7 years later so that could be part of the reason .

So you'd at least expect the PS4 and X1 to be higher as a result of less competition from it's last gen counterparts.
Gen-on-Gen at the same time this point in 2007, Last gen for the time is down on 2007, handhelds are way down on Jan 2007, current gen is down on 2007 without even accounting for the Wii, Console software is probably down. There's no good way to paint this, the dedicated console industry as of right now, is on a steep decline. Can it recover? Remains to be seen, but my bet would be on no.

Edit: 2007 was a 5 week month? Outlook still not so rosy, but I'll reserve my full judgement till next month.

This type of difference in sales when the popular games on each system so far have been the same should be telling someone at Microsoft that pricing matters. There doesn't even seem to be much point in Sony doing a lot in terms of first party software until they can ship more hardware.
It's also why I really can't see Titan Fall doing anything, I have this weird feeling it's going to drastically underperform.
Can it recover? Remains to be seen, but my bet would be on no.
So you're saying you don't expect Sony and Microsoft's console hardware to return to a TTM of ~10M units?

nib95

Banned
Wasn't it always expected to be second place? So, that's more or less expected. Doom? For a $500 machine that's off to a record setting pace, topped only, I think, by the PS4? That's not exactly an omen of catastrophe. I do agree, however, that possibly being outsold by close to double month after month isn't a particularly good look, and why I think a price drop will be very important for the Xbox One, but I see no immediate cause for alarm yet. And the PS4 supply constrained mantra is just a phenomenon I see on GAF. I've been to best buy and walmart various times this month and last, 3 times in just the past week for different reasons, and PS4s were always available. Are they as freely available as maybe the Xbox One seems to be? No, but an extra drive to a different store, and you'll find them without much hassle. My sister in law actually bought one for her son at best buy Tuesday as a surprise gift if his grades are good.

I'd be surprised if anyone takes your anecdotal evidence with little more than a grain of salt given your post history and historical accuracy with these sorts of things.

But here is what the PS4 stock looks like right now based on actual tracking.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

Here's the Xbox One's comparatively.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/xboxone/

Jomjom

Banned
Microsoft is going to start with bundles and Titanfall. If/When that fails to help them reach PS4 numbers, they'll go with an official price drop, more bundles, and probably money hat (3 month) a couple more games.

Wounded Microsoft will be a sight to behold lolol

The only other time there was a wounded MS with Xbox was the original Xbox. It's not like they weren't loaded back then either. They did squat.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
How many WiiU's are there in the US right now? Only 655k LTD sounds like a disaster considering its fucking Mario.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
They'll be happy enough if they manage to migrate all the CoD players.

That's not going to happen though the same way Destiny won't migrate all the Halo players. COD is COD, Titanfall is eye-bleedingTitanfall

Sandfox

They drop the kinect and they'll have to overhaul the entire UI. It's just gonna be a mess to use without the kinect and that'll just add to the negativity surrounding the console.

The Kinect is pretty important to Microsoft's plans and would take away one of things that sets their device apart.

Wasn't it always expected to be second place? So, that's more or less expected. Doom? For a $500 machine that's off to a record setting pace, topped only, I think, by the PS4? That's not exactly an omen of catastrophe.

Yeah, on the one hand, it's off to a record start (2nd place record, that is.) On the other, prior launches were more supply constrained, so who knows what the real demand of those past launches really were - plus last gen dragged on so long, the pent-up demand was huge.

On the one hand, it's selling well after all the (well deserved) backlash. On the other, 144k this month is meh. But it's $500. But PS3's first January was 100k higher, at $500/$600. But there aren't many game yet. But it has a pretty decent launch lineup vs. history.

...yeah, who knows what to think? Give it a year and we won't have to speculate any more.

Can't have the chalkboard without something minor that won't move the needle either way: Nas Illmatic 20th anniversary special.

Don't flame me, Nas is the GOAT MC.

I concur. He's by far the best.

Sony has impressive numbers. Should be interesting seeing how everything goes going forward

jaaz

I'd be surprised if anyone takes your anecdotal evidence with little more than a grain of salt given your post history and historical accuracy with these sorts of things.

But here is what the PS4 stock looks like right now based on actual tracking.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

Here's the Xbox One's comparatively.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/xboxone/

Please don't muddle this thread with good data. I am enjoying the tales from the ass over here.

EA has got to be regretting that Titanfall exclusivity deal right about now.

I'm sure they are. If only there was some kind of sales clause that could let them wiggle out of it. Either way though, I'll just buy it on PC for now (when it drops in price) and wait for the sequel, which no doubt will be on PS.

Top Bottom