• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
GTAV is the 7th best selling ps3 game in Japan. COD's put up respectable numbers there too
Interesting to know, thanks for the correction. Bungie has themselves in a good position - total brand recognition and devotion on Xbox, the PS4 user base to sell to, and Steam whenever a PC version comes into existence.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder what XBO's WW numbers are. I doubt they sold more then 100k in the rest of the world, meaning US PS4 sales > WW XBO sales in januari. In februari there is off course the PS4 Japan launch, which will increase the gap even further.

shows that the quality of your product plus word of mouth actually amounts to something

you look at the sort of numbers a great product in the 360 was selling and how quickly that's changed with the one...ms don goofed, casuals are smarter than you think

Casuals don't pay $500 for a console. There seems a split in opinion on Kinect with the core audience also who are usually the early adopters.

The interesting thing is, the further behind MS fall, the more expensive those third party exclusives are going to get to offset the lost PS4 sales.

Which is great. I'm tried of MS relying on moneyhatting third parties rather than working on their first party. This way they'll sink or swim on their own.

All these numbers indicate to me is that any developer that's making a game exclusive to next gen machines is on suicide watch.

Prepare for a bloodbath of most studios closing their doors within the next two years.

Were you preparing for the bloodbath in Jan 2001 when the PS2 sold similar numbers? Not to mention all those PS2 exclusives throughout that year?

Prepare for people to start ignoring your posts.

Jamix012

Its January, a month where almost no games came out and everyone spent their money on the holidays. You are completely jumping the gun on this.

Perhaps, but it compares badly to past januarys in general. Conversely, people lauding the return of console gaming are just as much jumping the gun as I am.

Damn strong numbers by Sony.

If I were MS I'd probably hold off on a price cut as long as possible. Try to hold off the PS4 now before Titanfall, and shortly after & drop it this holiday season if possible. It will be tough but anything sooner would look pretty desperate. 3DS all over again.

Titanfall on XBO will be quite a telling story to the early future of the system.

shows that the quality of your product plus word of mouth actually amounts to something

you look at the sort of numbers a great product in the 360 was selling and how quickly that's changed with the one...ms don goofed, casuals are smarter than you think

One is still quite a bit ahead of 360 when launch alined. Whether this drop is an indication of a long term trend or perhaps the result of the record setting opening leaving less of the early adopter crowd in need of a system post launch is something the next few months will show

Perhaps, but it compares badly to past januarys in general. Conversely, people lauding the return of console gaming are just as much jumping the gun as I am.

Exactly, hugely higher openings with lower followups makes this very uncertain

bluehat9

man there are going to be some truly devastated people in this upcoming next two years

just so you know, I only have a ps4, :lol. just tired of hearing about titanfall ps4 already when in absolute, shooting for the stars, best case scenario it's what, two years away? I hope I don't have to hear about it that whole time. I've already heard the name nonstop for a year already.

and I'm a pessimist, ;)

MOAR PORTS MOAR MOAR MOAR

I will buy them ALL

I will run down the aisle at a Gamestop and add them ALL to my cart. I will hold my arm out and buy them ALL. They will come tumbling down from the shelves into my cart like supermarket sweep.

TLOU
Uncharted
Gears of War
Halo
Bioshock
Asscrud
Far Cry
CALLADUTY volume 1
CALLADUTY volume 2
Killzone
Gran Turismo
FFXII
Resident Evil
Ninja Gaiden
Infamous
Resistance

Hell I'll buy STAR OCEAN 4 HD+ just for more LYMLE
Next Gen goodness, Kay?

We don't know that for certain, we found out about around that time but it could have been in the works for a while.

We don't know the exact date they agreed on it yes, but it was after the E3 debacle & subsequent 180's for sure - there was no reason to 're-announce' exclusivity otherwise. I would even say it was precisely those two things (caused by low preorders) that made Microsoft pursue the full exclusivity in the first place - so by that time EA had a clearer picture of what was coming up. Besides, these companies minimize risk as much as they can, no way do I see them accepting less than a 50/50 split in negotiations.

Were you preparing for the bloodbath in Jan 2001 when the PS2 sold similar numbers? Not to mention all those PS2 exclusives throughout that year?

Not a fair comparison though. The PS2's competitions' userbases were small compared to the PS2's. In addition to that, a lot of the games were timed exclusives as opposed to straight up exclusives.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The major drop in sales for new consoles in just one month is pretty amazing. I know January is usually slow but man. 2 million in December down to about 0.5 million in January right?

I expected a 150k gap between the two so I was right there. Just didn't think there would be a drop this big.

Pretty sure that the Xbox One will get a price drop this year; or at least a new SKU at $400. Don't think they will drop kinect. Going to be interesting to see how the system will do in March.

I don't think MS has the luxury of losing even more money on the Xbox with the investor sharks circling.

If there's gonna be a price drop, I think Kinect is gone as a pack in.

That said, I don't even know how MS would make money after a price drop, even with a Kinect-less SKU. If the teardowns are to be believed, dropping Kinect will still not lower the price of production down to $400.

I think MS is a bit screwed here. Either accept the lower userbase or add on even more losses to the Xbox, on top of what they already have.

Where's the lauding? It's not fantastic, I don't think anyone is saying it is, but it's roughly in line with expectation if hardware sales are going to return to past norms after generational fatigue.
There are 4 other consoles than PS4, 7 if you count 360 and PS3 too. Try to see the bigger picture outside of fanboy wars.
There are 4, and then you add 2 and you get 7. Good work.

Also, conflating the handheld market with the home console market is folly.

The interesting thing is, the further behind MS fall, the more expensive those third party exclusives are going to get to offset the lost PS4 sales.

This can only be seen as a good thing for all gamers. Fuck locking down third party games unless it wouldn't exist without them directly funding its development. See: Bayo 2, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
just so you know, I only have a ps4, :lol. just tired of hearing about titanfall ps4 already when in absolute, shooting for the stars, best case scenario it's what, two years away? I hope I don't have to hear about it that whole time. I've already heard the name nonstop for a year already.

and I'm a pessimist, ;)

I mean it's possible Microsoft might pay for it if they think they need it, but I don't think it's going to play out the same way Titanfall 1 did. I think Respawn and EA will see the writing on the fall if they want Titanfall to a be a big franchise.

I mean it's possible Microsoft might pay for it if they think they need it, but I don't think it's going to play out the same way Titanfall 1 did. I think Respawn and EA will see the writing on the fall if they want Titanfall to a be a big franchise.

It's probably EA's bet against Activision's Destiny, and it's not going to be a good one, if they keep it PC/Xbox exclusive.

One is still quite a bit ahead of 360 when launch alined. Whether this drop is an indication of a long term trend or perhaps the result of the record setting opening leaving less of the early adopter crowd in need of a system post launch is something the next few months will show

Exactly, hugely higher openings with lower followups makes this very uncertain

the 360 didn't exactly have a first 12 months for the ages, if I remember. it's lower Nov and Dec were also definitely supply constrained. MS made more Xbox Ones. most everyone that could afford one and wanted one (pre Titanfall) was able to pick one up by December. hence the steep drop.

now, I'm sure Titanfall will jump up numbers, even just based on the hype job alone (which has been excellent). it's going to review well. it's really well marketed. whether it has legs or not, people are going to be eager to play it.

how many people have waited for it to come out before buying an Xbox One... we'll see. it was certainly a huge part of the launch marketing for the console, so a lot of eager Titanfall players already have their systems.

did the 360 catch up with demand in January? I honestly don't remember.

Taurus

Are you seriously comparing 2001 to 2014 when game dev costs have gone up the roof? One single well-selling console won't keep 3rd parties afloat this gen, because even 3 well-selling consoles couldn't do that in the last gen.

Developing video games has become an increasingly complex endeavor. Most video games created for the legacy consoles (the PlayStation and N64) could be built in less than one year (we estimate that the average development time was six to nine months) and cost less than $1 million to produce. In the PS2/Xbox generation, the average console game required 18 to 36 months to finish, and cost an average of $4 million. Thus far in the cycle, current generation console games require between 24 and 36 months to develop, and average development costs rose to between $20 – 30 million, with some economies obtained if games are developed for both the Xbox 360 and the PS3simultaneously. We believe that the first efforts for most next generation games are likely to cost more than $30 million (with some games costing as much as $50 million), but we expect most publishers to quickly advance along the learning curve, and we anticipate that average costs will decline to $25 – 30 million over the next two years
We expect the average for next generation games to settle at around $15 million apiece over time, compared to an average development cost for 128-bit console games of $2.5 – 4 million. Sequels built on a pre-existing “engine” (the artificial intelligence that determines how the game’s characters will interact) generally cost less to develop than newly created games, and we expect development costs for next generation games to decline as engines are utilized well into the cycle. As a rule of thumb, we estimate game development costs are budgeted at 20% of a video game’s expected revenues, but the actual percentage depends upon the ultimate success of the underlying game. Whether a game is developed internally or externally will frequently affect how the game’s costs are classified on a publisher’s income statement
and how the revenues are shared.
https://equities.wedbush.com/client...ViewerID=1CE41D7D-B184-45DA-AF98-1334A2E3030F

Freeman

Banned
Things look to be playing like many of us said, you can't compete with a less powerful and more expensive machine.

This is a snowball effects, specially due to online community.

Sony is on a roll with PS4 so many factors are on its favor.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's not pinin'! It's passed on! This console is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! It's metabolic processes are now History! It's off the twitch! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-BOX!!

Truespeed

Serious question: What if Titanfall fails to move units?

I would be surprised if EA didn't have an exit clause in their contract if certain metrics weren't met. Regardless, they made a bad deal and they're going to pay for it. Even if EA did cancel the contract it would still take an aggressive 6-8 months to create the definitive PS4 version. What this does mean, however, is that Titanfall 2 is all but guaranteed to be on the PS4.

I wonder what XBO's WW numbers are. I doubt they sold more then 100k in the rest of the world, meaning US PS4 sales > WW XBO sales in januari. In februari there is off course the PS4 Japan launch, which will increase the gap even further.
Yeah, it's starting to get really insane. I've not seen a drop-off this big since the Saturn*

* = In regards to a direct competitor. Wii U doesn't count.

Taurus

There are 4, and then you add 2 and you get 7. Good work.

Also, conflating the handheld market with the home console market is folly.
You are a funny guy, I'm almost in tears here. 4+PS4, and you can add 2 if you want.

It's hard NOT to see a trend in the console gaming, including handheld consoles.

FourMyle

Denial is the first stage. Don't embarrass yourself and tell me these are good numbers. The PS4 numbers are ok, but everything else is horrific.

Wow, you are insane dude. I think the Wii U broke you. PS4 numbers just 'ok'? The system just had a record breaking launch and is still dominating in every region. The Xbone could definitely be doing better (and no doubt it will once it gets a price cut) but is still doing well. Nintendo is in deep shit though, yes.

prag16

Banned
Wait a second. 3DS sold less than 143k???

Or does "platforms" in that statement in the OP not include handhelds?

ascii42

Serious question: What if Titanfall fails to move units?

The Xbox One has a good install base already, and many of them probably are looking forward to Titanfall. If Xbox One sales don't increase significantly in March, I'd say it's because most of the people interested in the game already bought one. I doubt Titanfall will sell badly.

Sadly, Nintendo had a Direct today and there is far more discussion about the monthly sales of the Xbox One and not much talk of the Wii U.

Yeah, that Direct was supposed to be some form of diversionary tactic for Nintendo but there's no point in a diversion if there're no solid numbers to be freaking out about lol.

Yet.

the 360 didn't exactly have a first 12 months for the ages, if I remember. it's lower Nov and Dec were also definitely supply constrained. MS made more Xbox Ones. most everyone that could afford one and wanted one (pre Titanfall) was able to pick one up by December. hence the steep drop.

now, I'm sure Titanfall will jump up numbers, even just based on the hype job alone (which has been excellent). it's going to review well. it's really well marketed. whether it has legs or not, people are going to be eager to play it.

how many people have waited for it to come out before buying an Xbox One... we'll see. it was certainly a huge part of the launch marketing for the console, so a lot of eager Titanfall players already have their systems.

did the 360 catch up with demand in January? I honestly don't remember.

360 still had stock issues through to march/april iirc

iok0buTkIx4lk.gif

Watching the movie right as off now and then this thread pops up so had to post my gif.=P

this is hilarious in a creepy sort of way

the mouth movements

prag16

Banned
So the whole gaming industry is going down the tube?
Someone want to enlighten me?
Don't want to jump the gun, but based on this month the whole damn thing looks to be circling the toilet. That pent up launch demand even worse than I expected. And 3DS not in great shape anymore either.

The one glimmer of hope is in the fact that PS4 still seems to be supply constrained. But one solid platform does not a healthy industry make, barring a PS2 style runaway success. We'll see.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Road put these numbers in the right context. PS4 is doing above ok, I would say really good. XBO isn't a complete flop, but they need to stop the bleeding.

We should note the bold had 5 weeks in January, while the others only 4.

Using a simple weekly average:

PS2: 50k
XBX: 32k
GC: 15k

Wii: 87k
360: 62k
PS3: 49k

PS4: unknown (65k ~ 75k)
XBO: ~36k
Wii U: 11k

Top Bottom