• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

ethomaz

Banned
Keep in mind that they probably saw PS4 outselling XBone as a likely outcome at the time they upgraded the deal to full exclusivity, and factored that into their calculations when they took the money. I'm going to guess that MS threw enough money at them that the loss relative to if they had released on PS4 won't be all that much.

This might accelerate the release of Titanfall 2, though.
That's why EA won't ever had a sales franchise like CoD.

Activision will do that again with Destiny.

Pick away.

I'm not being a fair poster if I can't learn something from someone else. And honestly I hadn't really thought about it. To a degree even packaged wares cost a lot more than they used too. I got Mass Effect 2 for $30 and after my DLC was tallied I still ended up paying over $60 for it. But I wasn't so much saying anything about big companies. They make big bucks by consolidating development around a few key successful franchise.

I was more talking that Indie devs don't implicitly replace those midtier developers of the PSOne era. Those devs back then were still shooting for the top (occasionally failing of course) but at least capable of keeping pace with the best of PSOne era visuals. Something small to mid tier developers lost the ability to do through the last generation. Budgets and expectations inflated too high. Smaller studios couldn't keep up so they either died or changed. A chunk just lowered their bar entirely. Instead of making titles that could compare with the best of the PS360 they became relegated to a bar spanning the NES era to Xbox. At a much lower price.

While there are more games being made today, most aren't shooting for the same level remotely.

And while this may seem judgmental it isn't. I laud any studio that can look past the fancy tech they want to use, and make a game they can afford to make.

It's a confusing point mind you. But I see a distinct difference between a lot of $50 games releasing like during the PS1 era. And the modern lots of $20 games from that tier of studio and a few on a whole other level selling for $60.

I hope that made any kind of sense and feel free to tear it apart or agree.

I agree that the tier for games have become much wider .
You could get away with selling certain games on PS1 for $50 but that not going to work now and devs were much closer gfx wise together .
I hope with DD some companies would try for middle market again with some $30 or $40 games because i think there should be a place for it .

BigDug13

This is not a good outlook for this gen. Everything will sell less as I expected.

Selling through every console you're able to produce from your factories during a worldwide launch and having huge worldwide demand that continues to exceed the supply as fast as you're able to produce the console is not a good outlook?

All this tells us on the PS4 side is that they didn't allocate as many PS4's to North America as they probably could have if they wanted to further screw over another country's stock.

Portugeezer

All this Titanfall talk.

I'm sure MS paid good money for EA to not make a PS4/PS3 version, more than EA's PS4 sale estimates I assume.

shwimpy

Zampella2.jpg

But apparently the second game is still due for a PS4 release.

Zampella3.jpg
Either Vince is a moron and pretty much repeated the same mistake by putting full trust in a big time publisher or he's a really good actor.

Bsigg12

I agree, they need $399 for Titanfall. Waiting till after May will mean it's too late. The PS4 will be ahead and word of mouth will continue spreading.

I think Titanfall will have a huge attach rate on X1, but I don't think it'll move enough consoles to put the X1 on top in March. That is, of course, assuming Sony has their stock situation fixed. If it's still constrained then I could see them loosing out again.

If they drop the price of the console within the first year, current owners of the system deserve somwthing akin to the ambassador program for the 3DS. If I remember correctly, both the PS3 and 360,didn't receive their first price drops until the second summer they were available.

mujun

I'm excited to see how desperate MS gets in an effort to actually compete. They are getting spanked at the moment.

Either way there is going to be plenty of delicious drama it would seem :)

nib95

Banned
What if... there is some kind of minimum sales clause.

Doubt it will make a difference. By the time they could take action on such a clause, I reckon they'd rather get started on TitanFall 2 for the PS4 than waste time porting TitanFall (1).

AngryMoth

You know it's kind of crazy to me that MS seems to be having no supply issues and yet they still haven't announced a release date for tier 2 countries.

Keep in mind that they probably saw PS4 outselling XBone as a likely outcome at the time they upgraded the deal to full exclusivity, and factored that into their calculations when they took the money. I'm going to guess that MS threw enough money at them that the loss relative to if they had released on PS4 won't be all that much.

Question is though, how much of that money which MS paid went to Respawn, if any at all? If they receive none of it then to them it's purely lost money.

The industry is not going to reclaim the Rock Band audience.
Fitness games are over.
Plastic peripherals are over.
Smartphones and tablets have come to the party and they've taken people who only need a quick fix of Candy Crush or Temple Run.
The (US) industry will contract from its lofty highs.

This is the new normal. NB It's the same as the old normal. Get used to it (again)?

Unit inventory costs must be eating MSFT alive.

They likely have a minimum production order of 1 million units per month through the end of June and at their current WW sales rates warehouse locations around the globe are capacity overfilled.

Also, retailer purchased inventory is full up which is why we're seeing the various promos the past couple weeks (Gamestop's layaway, Walmart's free game deal, etc).

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Either Vince is a moron and pretty much repeated the same mistake by putting full trust in a big time publisher or he's a really good actor.

He took a big ass pile of cash from EA but still wants to play dumb. He's just an asshole who thinks very little of his audience.

Eusis

he would choose Tomb Raider Xbox One every time after seeing the videos of both dude. Stop the hate.

All joking aside, it's spin time. What do you expect the diehards to say? They got nothing, they were holding onto the December numbers as proof of something lol
December was probably Christmas euphoria/rushing/desperation. Once that's gone you probably are left mainly with the hardcore trying to get systems and generally more educated customers now that there's a lot of other people who were guinea pigs for them, and it's shaking out to be that the XB1 probably doesn't look particularly appealing to them. Especially since it sounds like that TV connection's just a pain in the ass novelty.
Might wanna cross NFL Deal off that list, too. Super Bowl just happened, doesn't seem like it did a damn thing for XBO sales.

Shame, that.
Maybe something will happen for the next season, but I wager that only a select group of hardcore game/NFL fans REALLY care, and even then it may not look that appealing if they're not overly fond of the Xbox and tech novelty to begin with. Going with what I was getting at before, sometimes simplest is best and the Xbox may just look like an unwelcome middle man to getting at TV content.

Bgamer90

Banned
The major drop in sales for new consoles in just one month is pretty amazing. I know January is usually slow but man. 2 million in December down to about 0.5 million in January right?

I expected a 150k gap between the two so I was right there. Just didn't think there would be a drop this big.

Pretty sure that the Xbox One will get a price drop this year; or at least a new SKU at $400. Don't think they will drop kinect. Going to be interesting to see how the system will do in March.

I don't think they foresaw anything like this though. The probably thought, yea the PS4 will sell better, they probably didn't think "The PS4 will sell twice as much"

Vire

How did February sales fair last generation Aquamarine? Worse than January?

I don't really see a sales spike happening until March because of the lack of games for both platforms.

Selling through every console you're able to produce from your factories during a worldwide launch and having huge worldwide demand that continues to exceed the supply as fast as you're able to produce the console is not a good outlook?

All this tells us on the PS4 side is that they didn't allocate as many PS4's to North America as they probably could have if they wanted to further screw over another country's stock.

The Wii U is essentially dead at this point and the Xbone's future is up in the air. Even if the PS4 manages to do well and the other two end up underperforming, then it would mean that the industry was contracting.

Of course it's a bit too early to tell now, but I agree with him. This isn't exactly the best outlook right now.

Zampella2.jpg

But apparently the second game is still due for a PS4 release.

Zampella3.jpg

I kind of wonder how the guys at Respawn feel about their deal with EA now. They're on Origin instead of Steam and Xbox One instead of PS4. In both cases they're missing out on the bigger platform because of EA and they couldn't have expected that at all way back in ~2010.

Taurus

You mean, everything on Xbone will sell less than on PS4? How is this not a good outlook?
There are currently 5 major console platforms: Wii U, PS4, X1, Vita and 3DS. At least 4 out of 5, or maybe even 5 out of 5, will sell less than their predecessors after all is said and done in gen 8. I also might add that 2 out of 5 are failing miserably.

Do you think this is a healthy outlook for the industry?

See my reply above.

lyrick

Anyone have any pre-2005 NPD data to find out the last time retail Software sales were this low in January?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The industry is not going to reclaim the Rock Band audience.
Fitness games are over.
Plastic peripherals are over.
Smartphones and tablets have come to the party and they've taken people who only need a quick fix of Candy Crush or Temple Run.
The (US) industry will contract from its lofty highs.

This is the new normal. NB It's the same as the old normal.

Woah there, we're supposed to pretend the sky is falling due to the end of the fickle "extended audience" era and fall of the Plastic Shit Empire while the normal console business continues console business-ing.

Don't think I can wait for cream tonight, so a morning coffee it is.

How did February sales fair last generation Aquamarine? Worse than January?

I don't really see a sales spike happening until March because of the lack of games for both platforms.
Every edit: 7th gen system was down in their first Feb, compared to Jan. (although I haven't bothered to account for the 5 week month for PS3 and Wii). March is usually up even accounting for the 5 week month. Something about taxes in the US.

All joking aside, it's spin time. What do you expect the diehards to say? They got nothing, they were holding onto the December numbers as proof of something lol

Based on this thread thus far, I expect a fair bit of, "The entire gaming industry's crashed, but I guess Sony's first loser. Congratulations, Sony! You get to stand on top of the bow of the ship as it goes under!"

... seriously, though, I'd just like to ask anyone considering taking that route to take a moment to go back and look at the Wii-U Stages of Grief GAF experienced over the last year. You don't want to leapfrog the chalkboards and consumer-shaming to go straight to the Chicken Little stage, guys. It's not a good look.

Top Bottom