• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

On my phone so can't find a source but pretty sure the 360 had a terrible January in 2006. Although the yields were low and the stock was constrained so it's not really apples to apples comparison.

Jamix012

Wow, you are insane dude. I think the Wii U broke you.

I don't appreciate the personal attack. I don't even have my Wii U at my dorm, I leave it at home because I only occasionally play it, and have zero emotional investment in what happens to it. I have both my X1 and PS4 here though. I WANT the industry to succeed, but I don't see how anyone can look at these numbers and tell me the industry is returning to health following the battering it's been taking the last 2 years.

No, the PS4 will do much better. It will ultimately sell more hardware, software and will last longer.

I'd say it has a good chance of doing so, but it's certainly not a forgone conclusion.

You are a funny guy, I'm almost in tears here. 4+PS4, and you can add 2 if you want.

It's hard NOT to see a trend in the console gaming, including handheld consoles.
There is a clear contraction in the handheld market, despite the launch of two successor systems, below the low watermark the GBA alone set of 7.5M TTM by almost 3M, or a rough 35% decline. An over 50% decline from the average TTM over the past decade of ~10.5M.

There is a massive contraction in Nintendo's home systems.

The average TTM for Sony and Microsoft's combined systems is 10.1M units. Ebbing and flowing over the course of generations and generational transition. As at December 2013, the TTM for their systems was 9.06M, up M/M from November, up Y/Y from December 2012.

This does not bode well for Just Dance, it has lesser ramification for Assassin's Creed.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't appreciate the personal attack. I don't even have my Wii U at my dorm, I leave it at home because I only occasionally play it, and have zero emotional investment in what happens to it. I have both my X1 and PS4 here though. I WANT the industry to succeed, but I don't see how anyone can look at these numbers and tell me the industry is returning to health.
Nintendo is dying. Everything else is looking pretty good from here.

And Nintendo isn't going anywhere.

Orayn

So the PS4 is not pulling a Wii then. All around terrible sales, dedicated console gaming is dying.

How so? The PS4 is currently "pulling a Wii" in that it's quickly selling out whenever it becomes available. We won't know much about the overall, long-term demand for the PS4 until enough of them are being supplied.

prwxv3

The days of rockband, casual games, fitness games for the console business are over. Of course the market will shrink.

Texhex

Banned
So the PS4 is not pulling a Wii then. All around terrible sales, dedicated console gaming is dying.
Yeah, too bad....
Never ever has a console sold as much in the first 2 1/2 months like the PS4.
Record breaking sales.
Yeah..... console gaming is dying......
#smh

FourMyle

I don't appreciate the personal attack. I don't even have my Wii U at my dorm, I leave it at home because I only occasionally play it, and have zero emotional investment in what happens to it. I have both my X1 and PS4 here though. I WANT the industry to succeed, but I don't see how anyone can look at these numbers and tell me the industry is returning to health.

I edited my post to clarify further but, it very much sounds like the opposite of that though. You are talking like the Industry is tanking right now and will collapse any minute. That is insane.

SparkTR

So the whole gaming industry is going down the tube?
Someone want to enlighten me?

Seems like handheld is, though we won't feel the effects for a few years as they're still getting fantastic games. Home console is probably contracting (?), but that's what people here were expecting I think with the Wii U being what it is.

Krisprolls

Banned
You won't see so many people buying both HD twins this gen simply because both now require a subscription to play online. Nobody wants to pay twice every month.

That alone and the end of Nintendo Wii gimmick will be enough to shrink the market, so don't expect huge numbers.

Still, PS4 is on track to be the single winner and reap most of the rewards this gen.

AzaK

Sadly, Nintendo had a Direct today and there is far more discussion about the monthly sales of the Xbox One and not much talk of the Wii U.

Umm, because Nintendo themselves didn't really talk about Wii U. They showed us all the stuff we knew was coming. Basically MK, DK (We've seen to much of this game now), A messy X battle, and Bayonetta footage. Whoopee.

Are you seriously comparing 2001 to 2014 when game dev costs have gone up the roof? One single well-selling console won't keep 3rd parties afloat this gen, because even 3 well-selling consoles couldn't do that in the last gen.

More like I was comparing the fact that looking at a specific number in a specific month and going with a hyperbolic prediction is pretty stupid. Speaking of stupid predictions....

Holy fuck at these predictions. When was the last time that $399+ consoles were flying off the shelves?

Think about how small the core audience actually is. Then think about how quickly they have bought their own. Then think about how those other players are going to get excited about same FPS games and sports games but now with new graphics, and run to the stores to pay $399 + game price. What is THE launch game to get people buy PS4s in droves for example? Killzone? Knack?

You are clearly seeing the hype at enthusiastic gaming forums which have nothing to do with reality. Very few people pay $400 for a console just because it's new hardware.

Not gonna happen.

Surprised you even still show up to these threads. Your whole post history is calling doom and gloom on the industry making wildly armchair analysis on gaming budgets.....

Console gaming enthusiasts are excited and will buy new consoles like they always do, but to get more people on board than earlier will be very hard or impossible which means serious trouble for companies expecting to sell 5-10 million pieces of software to break even.

And being a bitter fanboy because his favorite piece of plastic isn't selling.

Hey, it's a positive Nintendo thread! I guess this one might be not shitted on and get derailed like the others... *reads thread*

SMH

I'm not surprised to see the same asshats trolling in every Nintendo related thread.

On topic: Buy on rumors, sell on news

So the whole gaming industry is going down the tube?
Someone want to enlighten me?

It's the new* narrative: if your console of choice can't "win", then clearly it means everyone must lose and the entire game has to have been meaningless to begin with. It's the equivalent of the friend you had growing up who would try super hard to win in a game, but then upon losing toss the controller and declare, "Whatever. This is a stupid game for babies, anyway. You only won because I don't care."

*I mean, it isn't actually new, it was like the sixth stage of Wii-U Grief, but there's some degree of novelty in how fast we're catapulting into it this time.

More like I was comparing the fact that looking at a specific number in a specific month and going with a hyperbolic prediction is pretty stupid. Speaking of stupid predictions....

Surprised you even still show up to these threads. Your whole post history is calling doom and gloom on the industry making wildly armchair analysis on gaming budgets.....

So glad I made Gemini by one day!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

It's actually really close to Wii numbers. At this time the Wii was moving 87k a week, the PS4 sold ~70k a week last month. Both were supply constrained, so who knows how much they could have sold. Also the PS4 is still way ahead in LTD sales.

Taurus

I edited my post to clarify further but, it very much sounds like the opposite of that though. You are talking like the Industry is tanking right now and will collapse any minute. That is insane.
What do you say when February NPD numbers are disappointing too?

Any 3rd party planning exclusive games for gen 8 consoles are probably on a suicide watch right now.

How so? The PS4 is currently "pulling a Wii" in that it's quickly selling out whenever it becomes available. We won't know much about the overall, long-term demand for the PS4 until enough of them are being supplied.

Excuse my excepticism when I dont believe the huge company that Sony is wasnt able to produce more than 250k PS4s for the American market, when Nintendo was able to produce almost the double during the Wii crazyness. It is not selling out in the same level the Wii was selling out.

OF COURSE, I dont think the PS4 will nose dive like the Wii did 3 years after the hysteria.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Sony should want to "pull a 360" in terms of customer engagement. If PS5 had Wii U's momentum to start off, than Sony would have to start focusing on Xperia phones and making CMOS censors for Apple.

carlos

Yeah, too bad....
Never ever has a console sold as much in the first 2 1/2 months like the PS4.
Record breaking sales.
Yeah..... console gaming is dying......
#smh

yeah, so many ridiculous statements being made here; of course software is going to be down, especially since there were no notable releases in January compared to devil may cry or ni no kuni in Jan. 2013.

Meanwhile, ALL retailers in every sector were down more than anticipated in January due to the snowstorms all across the US.

Not to mention that NPD doesn't track digital sales, a sector that is growing steadily and is being promoted more than ever with the new consoles.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's the new* narrative: if your console of choice can't "win", then clearly it means everyone must lose and the entire game has to have been meaningless to begin with. It's the equivalent of the friend you had growing up who would try super hard to win in a game, but then upon losing toss the controller and declare, "Whatever. This is a stupid game for babies, anyway. You only won because I don't care."

*I mean, it isn't actually new, it was like the sixth stage of Wii-U Grief, but there's some degree of novelty in how fast we're catapulting into it this time.

Spot on.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What do you say when February NPD numbers are disappointing too?

Any 3rd party planning exclusive games for gen 8 consoles are probably on a suicide watch right now.
You're kinda nuts, seriously. PS4 is doing fantastic. I don't know what you're expecting.

Krisprolls

Banned
Excuse my excepticism when I dont believe the huge company that Sony is wasnt able to produce more than 250k PS4s for the American market, when Nintendo was able to produce almost the double during the Wii crazyness. It is not selling out in the same level the Wii was selling out.

OF COURSE, I dont think the PS4 will nose dive like the Wii did 3 years after the hysteria.

Wii brought tons of casuals onboard, it will be really hard to pull Wii numbers at first for the PS4. It's just not the same market at all.

Still, PS4 will probably live longer so I'd say it has a good chance of beating Wii numbers on the long run.

Orayn

Alright, that just leaves us with the question of where we can find the tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of unsold PS4s. The warehouse from Indiana Jones, maybe?
New Zealand?

Err... Nintendo were only able to produce around 5.8M Wiis, last I recall. It was a sold out phenomenon, but Nintendo were only able to get about 1.5M into the US market through Jan 2007.

Sony is expecting to produce about 5M or so. The PS4 is currently outpacing it in the US market, although I expect they'll cross streams some time this year.

Taurus

Lmao. I actually own PC, 3DS, Wii U and Xbone. Maybe even a PS4 later this year, not decided yet. I'd call myself a core gamer whatever that means to you and supporting my favourite hobby as best as I can, but I'm also not blind to see what is going on in this industry. I still believe there's going to be a video game crash and this is the beginning of it, but this discussion is off-topic.

Jamix012

Not really, I'm simply stating I believe it to be declining and, come 2015, I expect it to be down YoY again. I looked at your edited post and frankly launch sales have never meant much in the grand scheme of things, especially NPD launch sales. The only trend I've really been able to deduce from launch sales is that they increase dis-proportionally to regular sales from generation to generation.
IE, as a completely hypothetical example to illustrate what I'm saying the Xstation1 sells 50,000 on launch and goes on to sell 50 million world wide. The next generation Xstation2 sells 150,000 at launch, but goes on to sell 70 million world wide. 3x the launch sales but only 1.4x the total sales. How do you think the Dreamcast broke records at it's launch? How about the Xbox 360? The Gamecube was bigger than the N64 at launch too. Obviously neither the PS4 nor X1 are a dreamcast, but i'm simply saying that there's very little correlation between launch sales and final sales. The first test comes after the launch/holiday period and neither console passed with flying colours.

With no new solid numbers being given out in the thread, people are getting antsy and are mouthing off at each other lol.

Truth. "If I lose, everyone else must lose too". Rofl.

Freeman

Banned
How did you come to that conclusion?
Wii sold little over 300k on its first January and the PS4 was fairly supply constrained in January (so was the wii probably).

February 22, save the date, if the PS4 is able reignite the Japanese market, the King is back, with a vengeance.

lyrick

You're kinda nuts, seriously. PS4 is doing fantastic. I don't know what you're expecting.

I'm guessing he like me was not expecting to see Software sales at their lowest point in readily available tracked history (10 years).

People can yell digital all they want, but that doesn't reserve shelf space at our nearby retailers.

Please find me these unsold PS4's.

Lace

Their new console is flopping
The resolution's dropping
The crushed blacks are a'popping
The Xbox family

ibtLiyj3hpbUVQ.gif

Had to see it in gif form.

Orayn

Wondering too. does it usually take this long?

It can take several days, all depends on when we get more figures (sold X% more units more than [something with known sales]) to crunch numbers with, or when Creamsugar shows up to give us estimates, pie charts, and rankings.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Lmao. I actually own PC, 3DS, Wii U and Xbone. Maybe even a PS4 later this year, not decided yet. I'd call myself a core gamer whatever that means to you and supporting my favourite hobby as best as I can, but I'm also not blind to see what is going on in this industry. I still believe there's going to be a video game crash and this is the beginning of it, but this discussion is off-topic.

Owning multiple systems doesn't automatically make you not a fanboy.

Top Bottom