• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

RedAssedApe

Banned
The major drop in sales for new consoles in just one month is pretty amazing. I know January is usually slow but man. 2 million in December down to about 0.5 million in January right?

I expected a 150k gap between the two so I was right there. Just didn't think there would be a drop this big.

Pretty sure that the Xbox One will get a price drop this year; or at least a new SKU at $400. Don't think they will drop kinect. Going to be interesting to see how the system will do in March.

I dunno if its that unusual. Past launches were supply constrained. Number of consoles manufactured and sold has never been this large. I think you'd have several more months under your belt to see what the sales figures are compared to past launches.

Unless MS has already gotten Titanfall 2 exclusivity as well, I imagine EA will be happy for Titanfall 2 to come out on PS4, if sales continue like this.

At a certain point the money it would take to make up for the lost profits from bringing it out on multiple platforms cannot be worth it to MS in terms of gained sales.

Where that line is, I'd have no clue, but let's not pretend it's not a real number.

To be honest, at this juncture, unless TF1 is a sea-change moment for xbox one, TF2 will be just another shooter and we won't be worrying about who gets it.

Vire

They're a business. I'm sure they would prefer more money.

Who is to say they would have made more money from Titanfall being multi platform though. We have no idea how much Microsoft paid them to keep the first game exclusive.

I'm sure it was a pretty penny.
Every edit: 7th gen system was down in their first Feb, compared to Jan. (although I haven't bothered to account for the 5 week month for PS3 and Wii). March is usually up even accounting for the 5 week month. Something about taxes in the US.

Yeah, makes sense. I'm sure it's going to get ugly around here when the Feb NPD numbers roll around...

RedAssedApe

Banned
Who is to say they would have made more money from Titanfall being multi platform though. We have no idea how much Microsoft paid them to keep the first game exclusive.

Didn't they say it was like 100 million? Or was that just Pachtodamus?

kswiston

If they drop the price of the console within the first year, current owners of the system deserve somwthing akin to the ambassador program for the 3DS. If I remember correctly, both the PS3 and 360,didn't receive their first price drops until the second summer they were available.

Last gen was a bit of an anomaly though. OG Xbox had a $100 price cut 6 months from launch. Gamecube had a $50 price cut at the same time.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Can't really blame publishers for not seeing this coming in the States, considering it's been a strong point for MS from the beginning. It'll be interesting to see how exclusivity deals and such will be handled from now on, though.
Yeah there would be no reason to expect this in the US, but these franchises that sell blockbuster numbers are big everywhere except for Japan.

Somebody at Activision has to be laughing right now. The worst received COD ever, consoles that can actually run Frostbite, the guts of IW working with EA... and they're still not even close.

BigDug13

Yeah, makes sense. I'm sure it's going to get ugly around here when the Feb NPD numbers roll around...

Pretty sure they originally were also going to port it to PS3, so lost sales of both PS4 and PS3 are pretty huge. Don't forget about that other 80 million selling console.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Hey guys, my secret source at Ubisoft says there another NPD sales totally hidden beneath the Xbox's sales total. MS can't reveal it yet because secrets, but when MS announces it, it will double the amount of sales in the Xbox family.

AniHawk

Pretty sure they originally were also going to port it to PS3, so lost sales of both PS4 and PS3 are pretty huge. Don't forget about that other 80 million selling console.

if there's one thing third-parties are really good at, it's ignoring enormous userbases.

Their new console is flopping
The resolution's dropping
The crushed blacks are a'popping
The Xbox family
R3y1lNc.gif

ascii42

Last gen was a bit of an anomaly though. OG Xbox had a $100 price cut 6 months from launch. Gamecube had a $50 price cut at the same time.
Yeah, though I believe both were a response to PS2, which had been out for a year and a half, dropping in price. We know at least the PS4 was designed with price drops in mind, but I'm fairly certain that Sony won't drop the price until Microsoft does.

Bloody brilliant performance Sony, well done, and with a constrained supply to the US no less.

So the score board is 2 - 1 now, in Sony's favour, having only lost in December 2013 by a narrow margin.

C'mon Creamsugar, your audience awaits your arrival mate.

DrkSage

Hey guys, my secret source at Ubisoft says there another NPD sales totally hidden beneath the Xbox's sales total. MS can't reveal it yet because secrets, but when MS announces it, it will double the amount of sales in the Xbox family.

MisterXmedia is that you :eek:

bluehat9

Guys, give up on titanfall ip appearing on ps4. Either it will sell on xbox and MS will pay whatever it takes to keep it, or it won't sell well and it'll be years before titanfall 2 comes out.

"Bububbut respawn said future games for everyone!" you tell me? Yeah, that worked well for this first game, didn't it?

so best to forget about it.

Jomjom

Banned
It's too bad EA didn't do an exclusivity deal for Titanfall with MS in US only.

That way I could import Titanfall: Gundam Edition for the PS4 from Japan.

Biker19

Banned
Great news. This means PS4 will be the lead platform going forward. Now MS is going to start trying to buy off more 3rd party exclusives.

I don't think that their investors will be too happy with that, especially considering that Microsoft has already spent a lot on Xbox One altogether.

Doing a $100 price drop very early will just give them even more fuel to force Microsoft to either spin off the Xbox brand or to shut it down.

B.O.O.M

Get a chatrooom already! (Since this is eromance and all)

The titanfall thing..it depends on how much money EA received honestly. First game of a new IP is always important in establishing itself in a new generation. Being multiplat would have certainly helped it not only in the short term but also in the long term.

But I bet MS paid EA handsomely ....now I dunno about Respawn..wouldn't be surprised if they feel a bit screwed over in this situation (they own the IP right?)

I'm sure EA is really upset about going with that Titanfall exclusivity after getting those truckloads of MS money.

It's actually an odd situation. If Titanfall under performs then EA probably makes out with the MS cash. But if Titanfall does gangbusters they probably lost money with the deal since I'd wager when they made it they completely muffed the PS4 and XB1 sales forecasts. They likely also assumed that sales trends would mirror 360/PS3 and that multiplatform titles would sell X% more on the XB1 and would have used that percentage to calculate the lost sales on PS4 number, but as we've seen all of EAs titles are actually selling more on the PS4. So when you combine those two factors a well performing Titanfall means EA ends up not earning what they could have earned.

Guevara

EA also wants to set up a franchise with Titanfall. They lose a lot of momentum by missing the most successful console.

Didn't expect Xbox to drop that much. It's a given that MS didn't even sold out their stock WW from last month.

That is very concerning. Very.

Illmatic was released almost 20 years ago? Damn i feel old.

It will be 20 years on April 19th. Hey, we may feel old, but the flow is timeless:

"Rappers I monkey flip 'em with the funky rhythm I be kickin', musician, inflict the composition"

"My mic check is life or death, breathing a sniper's breath, I exhale the yellow smoke a Buddha through righteous steps"

"Another shot and you might be dead, and I'm a Nike head, I wear chains that excite the Feds"

As for this NPD, I knew this would happen to XBone the minute Sony finished off their E3 presentation. You can't overcharge $100 for a weaker box and expect people to buy it because of brand loyalty. They need Titan Fall to hit big and become the next major annual franchise in order to turn this around.

I don't think Sony will hold back some at E3 if this trned continues. They have a chance to knockout MS early and they know Microsoft will try a million hail mary's at E3 to get this ship sailing once again. This will be one of the most interesting E3's of all time.

Amir0x

Banned
Guys, give up on titanfall ip appearing on ps4. Either it will sell on xbox and MS will pay whatever it takes to keep it, or it won't sell well and it'll be years before titanfall 2 comes out.

"Bububbut respawn said future games for everyone!" you tell me? Yeah, that worked well for this first game, didn't it?

so best to forget about it.

man there are going to be some truly devastated people in this upcoming next two years

Didn't expect Xbox to drop that much. It's a given that MS didn't even sold out their stock WW from last month.

That is very concerning. Very.

What did they have left, 700k? And if NA sales account for ~2/3rds of worldwide like they did in Nov/Dec, then yeah it might take a while.

Bsigg12

You have to look at what they were up against. Sony had already established the PS2 well in advance of the launch of both of those systems and because of it, those systems weren't selling. Microsoft and Sony last gen held onto the price to try and minimize losses which both companies racked up pretty heavily early in the lives of the 360 and PS3.

From a BoM for the Xbox One, we know it's being made and sold with profit in mind when you don't account for R&D costs (which would be covered from 360 game sales anyways). Microsoft took a gamble on the price with Kinect and are losing.

I don't know if I just priced your poi t though lol

Kuro

Denial is the first stage. Don't embarrass yourself and tell me these are good numbers. The PS4 numbers are ok, but everything else is horrific.

Its January, a month where almost no games came out and everyone spent their money on the holidays. You are completely jumping the gun on this.

It's actually an odd situation. If Titanfall under performs then EA probably makes out with the MS cash. But if Titanfall does gangbusters they probably lost money with the deal since I'd wager when they made it they completely muffed the PS4 and XB1 sales forecasts. They likely also assumed that sales trends would mirror 360/PS3 and that multiplatform titles would sell X% more on the XB1 and would have used that percentage to calculate the lost sales on PS4 number, but as we've seen all of EAs titles are actually selling more on the PS4. So when you combine those two factors a well performing Titanfall means EA ends up not earning what they could have earned.

I don't think so - remember, "full" Titanfall exclusivity was actually a pretty late grab for them (october I think? can't remember exactly when they announced.) By then, EA probably expected at least a 50/50 sales split between consoles.

shows that the quality of your product plus word of mouth actually amounts to something

you look at the sort of numbers a great product in the 360 was selling and how quickly that's changed with the one...ms don goofed, casuals are smarter than you think

kswiston

Yeah, though I believe both were a response to PS2, which had been out for a year and a half, dropping in price. We know at least the PS4 was designed with price drops in mind, but I'm fairly certain that Sony won't drop the price until Microsoft does.

Even 18 months for the PS2 was pretty quick compared to what we were getting this past gen. The generation before that, the PS1 dropped it's price to $199 after 6 months or so as well.

I think that prices held so long this past generation for reasons that won't apply with the current group of consoles. Sony didn't have a lot of room to drop the PS3's prices when they were selling consoles at a huge loss. Wii sold out for 18 months. Microsoft had to deal with the red ring fiasco, and the PS3 was so expensive that they had no real reason to slash their prices. All of those factors delayed significant price cuts.

I don't think that their investors will be too happy with that, especially considering that Microsoft has already spent a lot on Xbox One altogether.

Doing a $100 price drop very early will just give them even more fuel to force Microsoft to either spin off the Xbox brand or to shut it down.

The interesting thing is, the further behind MS fall, the more expensive those third party exclusives are going to get to offset the lost PS4 sales.

I don't think so - remember, "full" Titanfall exclusivity was actually a pretty late grab for them (october I think? can't remember exactly when they announced.) By then, EA probably expected at least a 50/50 sales split between consoles.

We don't know that for certain, we found out about around that time but it could have been in the works for a while.

Taurus

Its January, a month where almost no games came out and everyone spent their money on the holidays. You are completely jumping the gun on this.
There are 4 other consoles than PS4, 7 if you count 360 and PS3 too. Try to see the bigger picture outside of fanboy wars.

Top Bottom