• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Vespene

2407970-2290299078-13543.jpg

War.... War never changes.

The discrepancy between PS3 & 360 this month doesn't make much sense considering both consoles are so redundant at this point. Maybe it's the late surge of first party support from Sony in the past year? The PR with Sony from PS4 rubbing off?

Crackpot theory: PS4 pushing PS+ causes an uptick for PS3 purchase from those who are converting from 360 to PS4.

Why? Because PS+ is one subscription across multiple devices, that offers free games for every device. I was looking at the games list earlier and actually caught myself thinking, "Man, I should buy a Vita, I'm just missing out on these free games I could be getting since I'm a PS+ subscriber anyway!"

Now, obviously that moment of insanity passed relatively fast, but a lot of people are even less resistant to "phantom value" deals than I am. There's a weird compulsion in the back of your brain that parses this sort of thing as "wasting money" because it's something you're entitled to get for "free" that you're missing out on, even though the reality is you'd actually have to spend quite a bit of money to get it.

I don't think it's going to be a huge driver of PS3/Vita sales, but it may cause a small bump over these initial months where you have literally millions of new PS+ subscribers coming into the ecosystem.

yuraya

Jan 2007

Wii - 436,000
360 - 294,000
PS3 - 244,000
PS2 - 299,000
NDS - 239,000
PSP - 211,000
GBA - 179,000
GC - 34,000

Dunno about OXBOX.

Console hardware was selling so well back than including PC hardware. The diversity was great indeed. Nowadays sales look mediocre and less diverse. This explains why MS, Sony, and Nintendo don't release numbers nowadays. And when they do release something they usually sugarcoat it with some salty words and hidden meanings. I guess mobile and tablet gaming is the future guise...guise
;)

jett

D-Member
So the Wii U outsold the 360? Man Microsoft destroyed the brand or what?

Honestly I don't think the market for up ports like this is very big.

I mean Tomb Raider has been $5 on PC and very cheap on consoles.

They'll probably turn a small profit, but I don't expect to see a lot of up ports.

Well in the case of TR there's the matter of the bullshit price and being a single game. HD Collections have done relatively very well on the PS3, I think. I imagine something like Uncharted Trilogy or whatever on PS4 would do nicely.

noobasuar

Banned
Just to be accurate...

360 first january: ~250k (Aqua was right)

360 January 2007: 294k

Is January 2007 right after Gears of War released? Cause I seriously put a huge amount of the success and momentum Microsoft gained being owed to Gears of War.

Seriously IMO the best game of the generation. Still waiting on a sequel......

I don't seen how that claim can be possible unless "platforms" excludes handhelds. Just doesn't add up.
The 3DS may have dramatically underperformed.

Or the last gen systems may have done really terribly, bar PS3. Or both.

Something like this is possible:

PS4: 285K
XB1: 145K
PS3: 120K
3DS: 90K
Wii U: 80K
360: 75K
Wii + PSV +PSP +NDS: 15K

C4Lukins

TRDE: total < 85k

That is about what I would expect. Outside of a GTA 5 I do not see any multiplatform older ports making much of a dent. I also think digital sales would be a more signifigant percentage then last gen, so I am sure it is at least over 100k.

Is January 2007 right after Gears of War released? Cause I seriously put a huge amount of the success and momentum Microsoft gained being owed to Gears of War.

Seriously IMO the best game of the generation. Still waiting on a sequel......

Gears came out on Nov 7 2006 so Jan is 2 months after .

jett

D-Member
Jan 2007

Wii - 436,000
360 - 294,000
PS3 - 244,000
PS2 - 299,000
NDS - 239,000
PSP - 211,000
GBA - 179,000
GC - 34,000

Dunno about OXBOX.

That list makes the current state of the industry kinda worrying, even if you discount the Wii behemoth.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The 3DS may have dramatically underperformed.

Or the last gen systems may have done really terribly, bar PS3. Or both.

Something like this is possible:

PS4: 285K
XB1: 145K
PS3: 120K
3DS: 90K
Wii U: 80K
360: 75K
Wii + PSV +PSP +NDS: 15K

Disturbing if true :s

Taurus

Yeap. I didnt catch that the poster I quoted was talking about X360 first January and not only about Jan 07 sales.
It actually doesn't matter because you can get an overall comparison from those numbers:

2007 - 2014
PS3 - PS4 1st January for both
X360 - Wii U 2nd January for both
Wii - X1 1st January for both

and then the last gen consoles added.

We just went through the longest console generation yet, way too long if you ask me. It was good for Sony to be able to play catch up a bit but really, that long of a static console generation is not good. The industry needs new equipment, new hype, fresh ideas, etc. it would not shock me if both the 360 and PS3 just plummeted and died away within the next 6 months.

That is one reason I worry about Sony trying to ride that train and try and squeeze another 20 million so they can say they have had 3 100 million selling consoles in a row. This past gen needs to just die away and only returned to in the form of remakes this gen or next. As a consumer I appreciate Sony putting new stuff on its replaced hardware, but I know it also has to put unnecessary pressure on dev teams feeling obligated to also support the PS3.

I am beyond ready for this new gen to reach its stride. Will be a solid spring and we will see what the summer holds.

Console hardware was selling so well back than including PC hardware. The diversity was great indeed. Nowadays sales look mediocre and less diverse. This explains why MS, Sony, and Nintendo don't release numbers nowadays. And when they do release something they usually sugar coat it with some salty words and hidden meanings. I guess mobile and tablet gaming is the future guise...guise
;)
Not implicitly.

What it will mean for the traditional home console market is further consolidation among a few successful series, dropping budgets, higher risk aversion among publishers (fewer new high budget IP's), which could cause a cascade effect. Especially if any other market usurps the traditional market in a pure monetary sense.

I consider this a doomsday scenario myself.

Excuse my excepticism when I dont believe the huge company that Sony is wasnt able to produce more than 250k PS4s for the American market, when Nintendo was able to produce almost the double during the Wii crazyness. It is not selling out in the same level the Wii was selling out.

OF COURSE, I dont think the PS4 will nose dive like the Wii did 3 years after the hysteria.

You seem to be forgetting that Nintendo didn't need to do much to manufacture Wii's; they were basically retrofitted Gamecube units inside. Very similar architectures, very cheap to manufacture.

PS4 and XBO are much different machines than their prev. gen versions, and Sony has 52 other countries to cater to.

That list makes the current state of the industry kinda worrying, even if you discount the Wii behemoth.

The PS4 is doing fine. The difference is both MS and Nintendo decided to seriously mess up. You can't expect people to buy something they don't want just because.

Reddit is in acceptance mode now I think. I can only imagine the meltdowns come march NPD if PS4 outsells the Xbox One.

Not really, make sure you never visit the Xbox One subreddit. It's scary.

Guevara

Also: if anyone was wondering why today's Nintendo Direct seemed to focus on the 3DS. Nintendo realizes they have to save that thing (again). It's a terrible situation.

Top Bottom