• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Eusis

Right, I mean we got so many at the end of this gen that it'd make sense to do something similar next gen when people need to fill in the line-ups and given things to people who buy consoles late-gen and thus are very price sensitive, so bundles are extra appealing.
Probably for the best anyway, I have to imagine ports like ZoE2 v2 and Okami are more likely to be done that well once development for the hardware's mature and best understood... although the CELL was special and they notably didn't want that again. Still, a rushed while-it's-still-newish port tends to not turn out as well as it could, which we'll probably see once comparing later titles to launch ones.
Though to be fair this is when the subsidized xbone looked possible and everyone thought Sony did not have enough money to out power the next xbox. Crazy how that turned out.
Reminds me of the PS3 really. The PS2 was a beast and absolutely destroyed everyone but the GBA, which was sufficiently different anyway, so it seemed inevitable that no matter how appealing the alternatives were Sony had the brand name to steamroll. Then they shot themselves in the feet and Nintendo had a novel enough gimmick. It's kind of crazy how that third console curse really does seem to exist, but like I said in a thread months ago I think it's more a sequence: they enter the market and do well enough at a minimum, then with the second console they really nail it and do way better, possibly disrupting old guard to either unseat them or at least give them a good challenge, then they get a bit full of themselves from this success or just make unfortunate calls and slip up on the third console, leaving new comers or said old guard an opportunity to knock them down. That fourth step is the one least explored, though naturally you try to fix your errors so at least on paper it's usually more appealing (Dreamcast was easy to develop for and cheap, GC had optical storage and a more varied lineup, PS4 copied what the Dreamcast did right but hopefully without the fatal flaws.)

CoG

Did not expect Xbox to get owned that bad in the US. Nearly 2:1 in the US when the PS4 was supply constrained? Wow.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Also: if anyone was wondering why today's Nintendo Direct seemed to focus on the 3DS. Nintendo realizes they have to save that thing (again). It's a terrible situation.

Well, if today's ND is how they plan to save it... Fear for the worst.

Really hope the thing improves in sales, because its 2013 software was incredible.

It actually doesn't matter because you can get an overall comparison from those numbers:

2007 - 2014
PS3 - PS4 1st January for both
X360 - Wii U 2nd January for both
Wii - X1 1st January for both

and then the last gen consoles added.

Yeah, of course. Anyone who is saying that the industry isnt having an evident hardware decline (and not only due to Nintendo´s and handhelds market decline) is in denial.

FiggyCal

Banned
Yep, we need Jan 2012 numbers for Xbox One

That's clearly not what I meant. What about 2nd year numbers for 360 to make a fair comparison? And how about not leaving out that the original Xbox and Gamecube did worse than what we're estimating the 360,PS3 and Wii to be doing.

That list makes the current state of the industry kinda worrying, even if you discount the Wii behemoth.

a) Handheld market has completely collapsed
b) Wii audience is gone
c) PS2 was 6 years old compared to X360( 8 years) and PS3 (7 years)
d) Five week tracking period (2007) compared to four weeks (2014)
e) PS4 is still somewhat supply constrained

Yes the market has shrunk a lot but most of it comes from Nintendo. Really not seeing the doom and gloom for traditional home console market as a whole. We are just going back to PS2 era sales.

Edit. Sorry for 2006 typo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the Wii U outsold the 360? Man Microsoft destroyed the brand or what?

Well in the case of TR there's the matter of the bullshit price and being a single game. HD Collections have done relatively very well on the PS3, I think. I imagine something like Uncharted Trilogy or whatever on PS4 would do nicely.

I think there's definitely room for something with a better value proposition, especially if it was PS3 exclusive because I feel there are a notable number of Xbox 360 gamers picking up PS4s.

b) Wii audience is gone
d) Five week tracking period (2007) compared to four weeks (2006)

Yes the market has shrunk a lot but most of it comes from Nintendo. Really not seeing the doom and gloom for traditional home console market as a whole. We are just going back to PS2 era sales.

Good. This will force companies to make more innovative products and giving fans what they want and less shovel ware and every developer copying COD or whatever is popular. My prayers have been answered.

I'm absolutely shocked how quickly last gen has died off. I expected cross gen games for 18-24 months, but they are going to dry up very quickly with sales like these

Taurus

b) Wii audience is gone

But the problem is that devs and publishers will greatly suffer from this. Rising dev costs need expanding/growing, not shrinking market!

AniHawk

ps2 era sales were a better time for everything and included a wider variety of games at more affordable prices for both developers and consumers.

Do you think that Sony gaining such traction is going to make MS resort to desperate measures pretty soon? I mean just in my circle of friends at work you have the early adopters like me and a few others and we all jumped to PS4 from 360 but then all our other friends I work with are slowly making the jump to PS4 as well because we all want to play together so they have to get a PS4 to do that.

There are 17 people that I work with and every single one of us had a 360 last gen, going into this gen only 1 bought an Xbox One, 1 bought both a Xbox One and PS4 and me and 4 others bought a PS4 at launch. Since launch 6 more have bought PS4's and the rest are saving up to get one. That to me just seems crazy that so many of us have jumped ship just in my workplace but then it does make sense because we all want to play together so have to get what everyone else has got. I just wonder if this will be a similar situation for a lot of people though because if it is then MS could be in a lot of trouble here.

jay

Good. This will force companies to make more innovative products and giving fans what they want and less shovel ware and every developer copying COD or whatever is popular. My prayers have been answered.

Seems more likely it'll force them to make homogenized sure fire hits or mobile games.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Jan 2007

Wii - 436,000
360 - 294,000
PS3 - 244,000
PS2 - 299,000
NDS - 239,000
PSP - 211,000
GBA - 179,000
GC - 34,000

Dunno about OXBOX.

It's kind of sad looking at that and realizing the 2nd best selling console now is selling worse than 7 consoles were at that time... jeez...

damisa

AAA games cost like 5x more to make on PS4 vs PS2. Similar industry size would bankrupt a lot of companies.

This is just the first January of full-on next gen, though. Anything can change. I mean, in 07 it was really hard to foretell that Wii was going to crash, the 360 going to become the leader for several years and then the PS3 would lead during the last leg of the gen. Still, overall hardware sales numbers are looking worrisome as of now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That list makes the current state of the industry kinda worrying, even if you discount the Wii behemoth.
What are you talking about "kinda worrying"? The industry is FUCKED.

this is why I am #dying at the people shitting on indie games. This is what you're getting from now on. Big budget productions will be few and far between.

This industry is absolutely LA bomba.

Let's say ps4 does amazing and outsells ps3. 90 million. Xbone will likely decline. Wii u is a corpse. The handheld market has collapsed.

HOW WE LOOKIN?

People can talk about titanfall all they want. It won't change the fact that the market overall is imploding.

Eusis

Yeah it is, but you have to think that most everyone that wanted one has one by now. It's hard to believe but it's been out for nearly 9 years.
There probably is also less on the horizon that's interesting versus PS3, and for late comers the PS3 really is the better value if they pay attention: get one with a decent hard drive, get PS+, you'll get new games steadily and for cheap to play, even though you don't exactly get to choose WHAT you're getting.

EDIT: Well, I admittedly can't completely ignore the XBL offer, though that's fewer games and usually older too. Metro Last Light wouldn't have shown up this quickly on XBL Gold, I'm sure.

NateDrake

I think because of the long generation (PS360), a lot of people jumped in to this new generation faster than they normally would. It'll be interesting to see where these systems level-off at in the coming months.

UberTag

I don't think Sony will hold back some at E3 if this trned continues. They have a chance to knockout MS early and they know Microsoft will try a million hail mary's at E3 to get this ship sailing once again. This will be one of the most interesting E3's of all time.
Which company is loading up the money wheelbarrow to Notch's front door for exclusive rights on Minecraft 2?

Yeah, of course. Anyone who is saying that the industry isnt having an evident hardware decline (and not only due to Nintendo´s and handhelds market decline) is in denial.

The industry has gotten a hardware market decline if you count the Wii but both PS4 and X1 are above there former systems.
With PS4 above every other console in history and as i said i don't think certain companies cared about Wii hardware base to begin with .

I'm absolutely shocked how quickly last gen has died off. I expected cross gen games for 18-24 months, but they are going to dry up very quickly with sales like these

Ummm, consoles aren't loaves of bread, the ones that are already in homes still exist. There are still 130,000,000 or so 360's and ps3's in the world. We will still see games for those systems. There just isn't much of a reason to spend $200 - $300 for them at this point.

b) Wii audience is gone

Yeah, a huge chunk of the wii and ds market were never part of the gaming market anyway. They fled with the rise of smartphones and tablets. Personally I think the core gamer market is still growing, with adults having grown up on video games not leaving the market, and the next gen of kids still joining the market.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
b) Wii audience is gone

Agreed 100%. A lot of the money from shovelware games has moved over to Android/iOS IAP spending and isn't coming back. This was obvious well, well before PS4 and Xbox One were even announced.

What I'm interested to see is if the typical Nov/Dec software sales ranking gets shaken up a bit. New generations bring opportunities for new franchises to pop up and find an audience, but so many of the big brands besides GTA are annualized at this point. I don't think it leaves much room for somebody to come out with a genuinely new game during the most important sales segment of the year.

maneil99

Do people not realize last gen was essentially 150 million install base, the wii had no AAA multiplat games from 2009+. The market shrink won't effect devs that developed for 360/Ps3

Top Bottom