• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Sandfox

I like AAA games but companies need to get some sense of budgeting , management and be realistic .
It's like when Capcom reboot DMC thinking it would sell more and everyone and there mother knew it was not going to happen or EA wanted dead space to sell 5 million etc etc .

Its kinda hard to release lower budget titles at $60 when only the games with the biggest budgets sell at that price point.

If this happens industry wide, its when I'll finally throw in the towel on this life long hobby of mine.
I can't really see devs like Naughty Dog, SSM and Quantic Dream implementing those, so you should be fine with Sony at least outside of sports and cars. But yeah, many multiplatform publishers can fuck off because they will try this in a massive way very soon.

Next Gen console sales would be passable if there was still an active base buying older consoles. This would create competition and people at least indicate a general interest in dedicated gaming machines as a whole. As it stands the current sales performance of both consoles is not enough to support a healthy gaming industry and there's no indication people have an interest in buying consoles in droves at all. The PS4 is doing ok, but not enough to prop up the entire US market.

We'll have to see how ps4 does in the next few months, but just because Nintendo and MS screwed up badly doesn't mean consoles are dead. Games like Infamous, destiny and a few other titles will be telling as to how well the AAA market fairs, but I would be pretty happy if medium size games made a return.

Its kinda hard to release lower budget titles at $60 when only the games with the biggest budgets sell at that price point.

So release them at a cheaper price. Publishers really need to get out of this "only one price fits" mindset. NIS releases the Disgaea games for cheaper than 60 bucks because they know its a lower budget title and the price will be attractive to people.

B.O.O.M

I'm starting to think that Tearaway was Sony's swan song before they take the Vita out to the farm.

Don't compare SCEA's attitude towards the system as an indication of anything. They treat it like crap

But SCEE and SCEJ treat it decently. We should be getting Freedom Wars and Over My dead body 2 localized in the least

I remember over $30 million for development and a lot more with marketing for Uncharted 3. TLoU is probably in the same ballpark or more bc the actual dev time was 3.5 years. God of War 3 was $44 million and Ascension was roughly the same. Heavy Rain was $23 and Beyond was $27.

Google is saying $25M for UC3 (Cinema Blend). That's not a lot. From GoW3 (2010) to GoW:A(2013), there's not a bug increase.

Overally, I think development costs are stable atm. I'd say corporate overhead is more to blame.

With the numbers for everything else so low, I can't really see much more than 10K for Wii and PSV combined.

I think the NDS and PSP are so negligible they're being ignored now. So I'd ballpark something like 70-75K for 3DS.
If it doesn't the Vita and the Wii sold amazingly well. So yes, pretty sure?
Less than 10k for Vita :/

I'm guessing not. They were at what, 4.2 at new year? They did 270ish in the us, I doubt they did 600k WW. Isn't the us about 30-40% of WW usually? And that typically includes Japan.

After Japan, yes, they will be north of 5 mil easily, I assume.

Hard to tell with them having launch in so many countries 50 plus , crazy when you compare to X1 even if those market not strong for MS .

Lol from what I saw in the PAL threads recently it looks like the situation in the EU is even worse.

er no the uk at least is up more than us and anecdotally Ps4 is selling out across mainland europe. Many EU markets werent down as significantly as us/uk to begin with either

Healthy market. 2014 will be an interesting year.

If this was what it took for Sony to get their act together I wish that Microsoft had entered the arena earlier. Perhaps it's wrong to count out Microsoft just yet but I'm more interested in their next console than the current one. The PS3 caused the PS4, I wonder what the Xbone will lead to.

Healthy? I certainly wouldn't call it that.

we know from cream that vita and wii are both below 25k from that comment on Ani's post

That's irrelevant
unless the Wii was higher than 84k (LOL), then PS3/4>Others holds true if others is Wii/Wii U/360/XB1

Especially because I feel that they would add Vita if that were the case

Not nessecarily. There was no indication they were equal or even close, just that PS3+PS4>Other Platforms. It could be 1k more or 200k more off that data. I just find that they'd probably have included PSVita in there if it also beat the 3DS? I dunno.
You mean:

PS3+PS4 = 324K > XB1+360+Wii U+Wii by like 85K and they're ignoring handhelds?

I guess it's possible.

Truespeed

Yusef is in for a rude awakening.

Yusef Medhi said:
We believe over the next five years we can break a 100 million unit installed base. To sell another 25 million, half of those will probably come from replacements, but half will come from new buyers. And the way we'll break into those segments is by hitting new price points, getting new classes of entertainment to come with the Xbox, and breaking into new customer segments.

What exactly would a midbudget game be? Like, are there any practical examples? I am not sure I get what this means...

Remember all of the later-PS2-era sub-$50-at-launch stuff? Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, Chulip, God Hand... stuff like that.

The PS360 generation didn't really see that at retail because things like that mostly happened on PSN/XBLA instead.

B.O.O.M

What exactly would a midbudget game be? Like, are there any practical examples? I am not sure I get what this means...

I think it's one of those terms that really doesn't have a set definition. It entirely depends on what you put in the big budget category.

That's irrelevant
unless the Wii was higher than 84k (LOL), then PS3/4>Others holds true if others is Wii/Wii U/360/XB1

we know that wiiu/wii/360/xb1 - wii equals 84k and that wii is <25k which means there is at least some left over that has to be made up by other platforms. AKA 3ds vita

Google is saying $25M for UC3 (Cinema Blend). That's not a lot. From GoW3 (2010) to GoW:A(2013), there's not a bug increase.

Overally, I think development costs are stable atm. I'd say corporate overhead is more to blame.
20 to 25 is still an increase. You can bet TLoU was even more expensive. It's not as crazy as it was during the transition from PS2 to PS3, but budgets are still going up. Next year sees a bunch of pretty expensive games.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Healthy? I certainly wouldn't call it that.

The PS4 is sold out. Software seems to be selling. There's room for so many on so many different platforms. That inferior products aren't selling as good is also a sign of a healthy market. There's even a place for Flappy Bird. Healthy. That's what I'll call the market.

Don't compare SCEA's attitude towards the system as an indication of anything. They treat it like crap

But SCEE and SCEJ treat it decently. We should be getting Freedom Wars and Over My dead body 2 localized in the least

Hmm that is true enough I suppose. I just can't see it being relevant for any retailer to stock it in the US going forward, with other markets being similar.

That being said I suppose it's not been doing well for a long time and still retains a retailer presence so I dunno

LuuKyK

Remember all of the later-PS2-era sub-$50-at-launch stuff? Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, Chulip, God Hand... stuff like that.

The PS360 generation didn't really see that at retail because things like that mostly happened on PSN/XBLA instead.

So this gens midbudget games would be the HD remasters? Still dont see how SOtC would be considered midbudget really.

I think it's one of those terms that really doesn't have a set definition. It entirely depends on what you put in the big budget category.

Yeah, there are just no parameters at all when using a term like this imo. Its easier to separate them into Big budget and lower budget really.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
20 to 25 is still an increase. You can bet TLoU was even more expensive. It's not as crazy as it was during the transition from PS2 to PS3, but budgets are still going up. Next year sees a bunch of pretty expensive games.

Dev costs will probably remain relatively steady but the divide in labor will be different. Less fighting of hardware with hardcore programming, more of a shift to asset creation and art.

quest

Not Banned from OT

I would say publisher being hell bent on the 59.99 price point killed mid budget games. Old mid budget games most of the time got pricing to reflect it. People were like why buy the mid budget game when I can get AAA game for the same price. I think there is a place for mid budget 39.99 games.

The PS4 is sold out. Software seems to be selling. There's room for so many on so many different platforms. That inferior products aren't selling as good is also a sign of a healthy market. There's even a place for Flappy Bird. Healthy. That's what I'll call the market.

Personally, I would call it a clearly declining market.

I would say publisher being hell bent on the 59.99 price point killed mid budget games. Old mid budget games most of the time got pricing to reflect it. People were like why buy the mid budget game when I can get AAA game for the same price. I think there is a place for mid budget 39.99 games.

I absolutely think so.

Out of curiosity, can anyone comment on how EU numbers compare? Are they equally timid, or is the EU increasing its lead over the US as a more revenue and sales friendly market?
EU is doing okay except for the UK which is doing horrific as well. Considering UK is the biggest market in Europe (now not by much anymore)...not exactly great.

B.O.O.M

Hmm that is true enough I suppose. I just can't see it being relevant for any retailer to stock it in the US going forward, with other markets being similar.

That being said I suppose it's not been doing well for a long time and still retains a retailer presence so I dunno

I think it will do decently (within context of course lol) in EU and JP. As long as that happens we will get games localized etc. Only thing is we will see more and more digital only titles...and I'm ok with it really. If SCEA actually supported the system by releasing/announcing games, bundles, new colors etc...things wouldn't be this dire. It's pathetic how they treat their own system...at least wiiu as shitty as it sells, gets good support from Nintendo

I'd honestly be more worried about MS If the 360 sales pretty much die off and the Xbox One gets dominated by the PS4.

Why? MS will do what they always do quickly drop the Xbox One cold turkey and announce their next console. That's exactly what they did with the original Xbox,windows vista, and their Kin Phones.

Top Bottom