• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Mrmitts

Banned
GitarooMan said:
I've always wondered why people were convinced Madden PS2 would outsell Madden 360, I think this is a good indicator for Madden, it won't be as wide but I expect 360 to outsell PS2.

PS2 drives Madden's sales. I suppose that's why. The Wii version is the best IMO though, so I'm thinking it might sell surprisingly well this time around.

sp0rsk said:
I think this pretty much proves the main reason Sony isn't selling is because of price.
People will debate you on this. It saw a significant sales gain because of a price cut. But then again the price cut didn't cause it to leap ahead of the competition.

The PS3's game draught ends this fall, and it'll be doing fine for games this fall and in 2008. But it unquestionably needs another price drop soon - possibly BEFORE Christmas - if it's to stay in the game. And it's possible that it will acquire a negative enough stigma - either to consumers or to developers - that even that won't be enough.

Linkhero1

sonycowboy said:
I think the PS3 sales were exactly where we thought they'd be. It's the 360 doing better that's surprising.

What that shows, among other things, is that people know which one they want and the price drop didn't affect 360 sales to any significant degree.
August NPD will be really interesting though for the 360 vs PS3

FortunateSon said:
I don't get it. There will a fanbse out there to feed and if publishers want money. They will make gams for the Ps3. Not hard to understand.

The Ps3 and 360 crowd overlap eachother.
If publishers wanted money there would be more and better Wii games being produced :}

There will be some people still making games for it, but mostly ports of 360 games, i don't think PS3 will be getting much original non multiplatform content if it keeps doing poorely.

Haunted

If Nintendo really build up stock for the holidays, we'll get some insane numbers in the coming months. Production capacity is the limit for the Wii. what a phenomenon.

Bildi said:
Poor guy. He seemed nice, if not a little slow.
He was a bit weird, though.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
PS3 doomed? People are really nuts on here, I swear. All in all wasn't a bad sales month compared to previous months. Its not getting into peoples homes like the Wii is, but why should it? How many people these days even "get" what HD is? I think what this really shows that if PS3 drops another $50-$100 it will push/break 200k almost every month outside of holiday seasons.

StevieP

Banned
segarr said:
I've gotta admit it.....Wii is not a fad, it's what people want. I don't even know if we could call any games "casual" anymore....thats like calling blockbuster movies "casual movies"...they aren't casual movies, they are movies, and everything else is for film buffs and indie lovers.

360...may be my last console for awhile...next gen (Real next gen) is going to be so different, I feel that this gen may be "the last hoorah" so to speak as far as this hobby goes.

PS3....wow. Honestly, at this point, I almost want to see them win again...

*sniffle sniffle*
We'll miss you, segarr
i wish i could post a bitter tears gif

C4Lukins

I would love to see Sony just drop the PS3 to 300 dollars tomorrow and watch as the market and heads start exploding. Complete chaos would ensue. Everyone would die.

Visualante said:
Fall games rush doesn't start until Sony say so.
Right- from the reviews I've seen so far for Lair, Warhawk, and Heavenly Sword, I'm curious as to when that will be. The price drop should have done wonders (like they claimed).

sonycowboy said:
NEW RULE.

The images in these threads provide absolutely no value. If you post one after this point, you're going to get banned.

While they are obnoxious, they can also be quite funny. Next month can we have two NPD threads- a serious thread and a joke thread full of pictures and animatronic gifs?

Mojovonio

Banned
haunts said:
PS3 doomed? People are really nuts on here, I swear. All in all wasn't a bad sales month compared to previous months. Its not getting into peoples homes like the Wii is, but why should it? How many people these days even "get" what HD is? I think what this really shows that if PS3 drops another $50-$100 it will push/break 200k almost every month outside of holiday seasons.

What's with the red glasses?

tanod

when is my burrito
So PS3 WW > 360 WW in July. I think eventually Sony will get 2nd place WW, but in NA, they're done. Maybe in 2009, they might catch up to MS in NA... maybe.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I typically don't get involved with these threads, but what's the big deal? A third of the month was over before Sony announced the price-drop. With all of the pre-price drop leaks happening the entire week before E3, it surely stalled sales. The fact that a considerably more expensive machine managed to gain that much traction in the remaining 20 days is impressive to me.

Why would anyone expect a $500 console to outsell a $400 console is beyond me. I always thought the people who risked their accounts with bans were utter morons.

Edit: Ahhhh, corrected. Nevermind. Ignore the post.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
haunts said:

The trouble is they need to show publishers why they should switch from 360 to PS3 development; publishers right now make a ton of money off of 360 games. If the PS3 isn't going to be closing a 4M plus gap anytime soon, what incentive is there?

wowfactor

Banned
The PS3 has only 3 weeks since the price drop plus the price-drop leak forced people to wait so I think the PS3 sales is ok.

Sypher

Banned
segarr said:
I've gotta admit it.....Wii is not a fad, it's what people want. I don't even know if we could call any games "casual" anymore....thats like calling blockbuster movies "casual movies"...they aren't casual movies, they are movies, and everything else is for film buffs and indie lovers.

360...may be my last console for awhile...next gen (Real next gen) is going to be so different, I feel that this gen may be "the last hoorah" so to speak as far as this hobby goes.

PS3....wow. Honestly, at this point, I almost want to see them win again...

Wii Sports and Wii Fit are now hardcore games. FF, Halo, MGS are niche casual games.

Tideas

Banned
I think everyone is being a little, non-sensical in the attack of the PS3.

What most ppl should have their attention on, is how MS should be concern.

When you're only priced $50 than your opponent, yet they're outselling you 3:1, you better rethink something.

Uncooked

Banned
haunts said:

So PS3 isn't selling well because people are stupid?

LOcKY said:
It would be interesting to see if Nintendo Issue another press statement saying that they will increase their forecast again.

Also as noted in this thread, what will the developers and publishers do now? they can not afford to keep saying the same things such as "we will wait and see" or "its a gimmick or novelty that will wear out" if they havent started making at least something by now they better hope to god that their x360/ps3 projects make them some profit otherwise we might be seeing a lot of studio's in financial trouble.

All they need to do is to start up a bunch of PS2, Gamecube and Xbox -> Wii ports and they'll have money rolling in. I bet that's exactly what capcom is doing after those RE4 numbers. They'd be crazy not to.

Eric WK

segarr said:

I've been feeling the same way lately. I don't have anything against the Wii but I believe it's success may be setting a bad precedent in gaming. In ten years, I better still be able to grab a traditional controller and play traditional games.

But that's a discussion for another day. And it's depressing so I'm not going to talk about it any further.

super funk said:
While they are obnoxious, they can also be quite funny. Next month can we have two NPD threads- a serious thread and a joke thread full of pictures and animatronic gifs?

That would be too messy. We all know which one would be the one with 90% of the posts.

schuelma

Linkhero1 said:
Has the Wii officially passed the 360 in Worldwide sales yet?

Officially like a PR from Nintendo? No

By my own estimates? Yes

FrankT

AlphaSnake said:
I typically don't get involved with these threads, but what's the big deal? A third of the month was over before Sony announced the price-drop. With all of the pre-price drop leaks happening the entire week before E3, it surely stalled sales. The fact that a considerably more expensive machine managed to gain that much traction in the remaining 20 days is impressive to me.

Why would anyone expect a $500 console to outsell a $400 console is beyond me. I always thought the people who risked their accounts with bans were utter morons.

NPD Coverage: July 8 - August 4

Don't think so, pretty much covered the entire period.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
super funk said:
We already have one this month so I'm guessing it'll be a new thing for each month.

Tiktaalik

With Wii sales like these Wii taking first place seems guaranteed to me, and 3rd parties have got to be taking notice. At Leipzig I expected to see a massive deluge of major 3rd party support, but while over the last few months we've seen titles being announced by no name developers and small publishers, we still really haven't seen many big names weigh in with strong, multi-title full support. It's got to happen at some time, but I expected it at Leipzig. It's certainly picking up, but I expected more.

laserbeam

Banned
schuelma said:
Officially like a PR from Nintendo? No

By my own estimates? Yes

Honestly I dont expect Nintendo to tout leadership til after Halo 3 launch and how that goes. Would just become a pissing match if they hype takeover to temp lose it from a potential 360 boost.

AlphaSnake said:

The price drop was in effect for 26 out of the 28 covered days, at least officially. (NPD uses retail calendar which is different)

Some stores didn't drop their price for a day or two, but it was essentially the whole month.

Eric WK said:
I've been feeling the same way lately. I don't have anything against the Wii but I believe it's success may be setting a bad precedent in gaming. In ten years, I better still be able to grab a traditional controller and play traditional games.

But that's a discussion for another day. And it's depressing so I'm not going to talk about it any further.

Thank God, because you're talking shite.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
sypher said:
You should, like, totally, be like an analyst if this whole mod thing doesnt work out.

Well, what else is there to say? Wii sold more than usual, wowiezowie!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AlphaSnake said:

Hindsight is 20/20, but some people still put a lot of faith in the power of the Playstation brand, thinking that PS3 just needs that little push in NA to beat the 360 and a decent sized move to beat the Wii. Obviously that's not the case in the current climate. I expect to see a lot more of the "wait for the PS2 migration"-type posts, which aren't totally without merit but which become slightly more preposterous with each passing month that the PS3 falls farther behind everything.

JKBii

AlphaSnake said:

You're right, you should send a letter to Sony.

Alright it's a little silly for the silly image thread to have graphs, but not this one.

Bring on the graphs -- they're part of Sales-Age and help rather than hinder discussion (which is why images were banned).

StevieP

Banned
Eric WK said:

Would you like me to send you an NES pad? I bet we can convert it so that you can play those "traditional" games on your 360. You know what's a better precedent in gaming? Consoles launching at $600. I'm sure consoles that are priced out of the majority of markets are much better for the industry than waggle.

schuelma

laserbeam said:
Honestly I dont expect Nintendo to tout leadership til after Halo 3 launch and how that goes. Would just become a pissing match if they hype takeover to temp lose it from a potential 360 boost.

Ehh...Wii is outselling 360 in Japan and Europe by probably close to 500K a month...I don't think its possible to lose any ground even with massive September sales.

Top Bottom