• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

ZAK

charlequin said:
All software patterns become increasingly more set in stone with each passing month (and, more importantly, increasing install base.) At the beginning of a generation, all it takes is one really good game of type X to start up some momentum that other games can pick up and carry; later on, it gets harder and harder, and single games become largely irrelevant (thus the often-mocked "wait for...!" meme.)

Turnarounds are certainly possible (just ask the PSP) but they require a drastic, concerted effort. Since Nintendo have approximately zero core games announced for Wii that don't primarily appeal to the existing market there, and third party publishers are dropping the system like it's deadly poison, I don't really see where such an effort could really be expected to come from.
Wait, I don't follow. How would games that appeal to the existing users not contribute to the tie ratio? They'll sell, but won't push hardware, since everyone that wants them already has it; wouldn't that only help the tie ratio?

Also, I could be wrong about the history here, but wasn't the Wii tie ratio slightly above the PS3 one for quite a while? But when it starts to go down, that's a pattern set in stone? Huh? If it spends at least as much time above PS3's ratio as below, how can you say anything is constant? It clearly seems to be fluctuating, currently down, but it's hardly been there long. If it stayed at the same place for maybe a year or something, then I could understand saying, "this is probably where it'll stay," but to be saying such a thing as a response to changes? Doesn't make sense to me...

Finally, and I'm just asking for examples here, who's dropping the system exactly? Seems like attitudes are mostly just remaining same as they ever have; shitty. Which isn't helping anything, of course, but I don't see how it'll make things worse than they've been thus far.

AniHawk

Cheez-It said:
Joking?

As common as 3d titles are nowadays, there is a MASSIVE demographic group of people who simply have trouble with or aren't interested in 3d titles.

With a 2d title, you control two planes of motion. It's far more simple than controlling a 3d game. I think most people here are accustomed to 3d titles and don't realize the leap from 2d gaming that it constitutes. NSMB Wii will sell fucking boatloads if Nintendo puts any effort into it at all.

Yeah, I think NSMB Wii will be huge everywhere. Just advertise that you play it like the NES original and that four people can play at once and the US will eat it up.

SMG 2 should do pretty well. Not quite as good as SMG (it'll have less time to garner sales, and it'll be the third Mario platformer on the system), but I'm guessing it'll at least beat out Super Mario Sunshine.

Man. Three Mario platformers on a Nintendo home console. I feel like I've gone back in time.

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:
Yup, where the Wii install base is more likely to be mom's dragging their kids to Target, where Timmy wants that Boom Blox game regardless of weather it was released a week ago or a year ago.

Unfortunatly, this means for hardcore titles like HotD:Overkill, or as we saw with MadWorld, the relatively small hardcore base on Wii picks up those titles week one, but than we see a really sharp drop off as everyone who cared already has a copy.

whether

then

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
xbhaskarx said:
Wow this is one of the most bizarre comments ever posted on this site...
So you like to support incompetence, if they released a console with the power of a 386 for $15,000 you would buy it simply because it's last in sales?
Please give this man a tag.

There's no need to take it too extremes, of course I wouldn't, as long as I think the platform is at least competent and capable of competing in the market place with support from consumers then I'll support it, there is a certain line I won't cross, of course I'm not going to support something that is a piece of shit am I.

xbhaskarx said:
Your philosophy directly contradicts basically all capitalist and free market principles...

uh ?, So your saying competition in the market place isn't good for speeding up the growth and innovation of technology ?, becuase that's what I care about, I love technology, we're only here for a short while and I want to see as much innovation in it as possible.

Luckyman said:
Flying_Phoenix is jokeaccount right?

Well if it isn't yet ANOTHER rude poster. *rolls eyes* I like to have you know that all of my posts are 100% serious and well thought out.

CoolTrick said:
Why is there so much at stake with The Conduit selling well? Did it even turn out to be a good game?

GOTY

ZAK said:
Wait, I don't follow. How would games that appeal to the existing users not contribute to the tie ratio?

They'll contribute to the tie ratio, but they won't contribute to a sea change in software sales that could contribute to a major shift in tie ratio, because they're titles selling to an established audience (and therefore won't change what kind of software people buy, or encourage people to shift more of their software dollars to the Wii.)

Also, I could be wrong about the history here, but wasn't the Wii tie ratio slightly above the PS3 one for quite a while? But when it starts to go down, that's a pattern set in stone?

Again, my point is that nothing is ever set in stone, but the effort required to change something increases over time. The tie ratio gap between PS3 and Wii right now is pretty small, so it could be a relatively minor fluctuation -- or it could represent a new standard rate. If the latter is true, it'll be harder to reverse that today, in 2009, than it would have been in 2008 or 2007.

lowrider007 said:
I love technology

You might want to consider looking at a new industry, then; the games industry is an entertainment industry, not a technology industry.

charlequin said:
You might want to consider looking at a new industry, then; the games industry is an entertainment industry, not a technology industry.

People seem to forget this. Even the almighty high-end PC market is starting to show significant signs of slowdown (the first quad-core game in its recommended specs is JUST launching this year...and last time I checked the game is planned to be delayed).

Opiate

There are so many industries that use technology in vastly more significant ways, if that's really what tickles your fancy, Lowrider. For example, I strongly recommend becoming a medical technician. The amount of money being poured in to medical technology in the United States is ludicrous, and the sorts of technologies being developed are generational leaps and bounds ahead of any video game console. And you can actually make money while applying yourself here. Quite a bit, if you're good at it.

I also might recommend the semiconductor industry, which is an obvious but fascinating stalwart, or even military applications, where technical accomplishments sometimes approach sci-fi-esque realities.

Video games are very far down the totem pole if you want to see technical advances, Lowrider.

Minsc

Gold Member
Flying_Phoenix said:
People seem to forget this. Even the almighty high-end PC market is starting to show significant signs of slowdown (the first quad-core game in its recommended specs is JUST launching this year...and last time I checked the game is planned to be delayed).

Actually, it's already been released. One month ago, give or take, June 19th.

Minsc said:
Actually, it's already been released. One month ago, give or take, June 19th.

From Site:

"Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)"

...okay I'm just joking. But yeah my point still stands. It took THIS long for a quad-core standard game to be released. If I recall prior generations component upgrades went far faster. I got my Q6600 a year ago and it took THIS long for it to be so much to be even so much as significantly utilized?

Opiate said:
There are so many industries that use technology in vastly more significant ways, if that's really what tickles your fancy, Lowrider. For example, I strongly recommend becoming a medical technician. The amount of money being poured in to medical technology in the United States is ludicrous, and the sorts of technologies being developed are generational leaps and bounds ahead of any video game console. And you can actually make money while applying yourself here. Quite a bit, if you're good at it.

I also might recommend the semiconductor industry, which is an obvious but fascinating stalwart, or even military applications, where technical accomplishments sometimes approach sci-fi-esque realities.

Video games are very far down the totem pole if you want to see technical advances, Lowrider.

Very true. Or if he wants "at home" stuff he could try media creating. Far more high end.

Ugh I really want one of those Mac Pro's but ehh.

Cobra84

Flying_Phoenix said:
It took THIS long for a quad-core standard game to be released. If I recall prior generations component upgrades went far faster. I got my Q6600 a year ago and it took THIS long for it to be so much to be even so much as significantly utilized?.

To be fair most games are GPU limited, making a quad core processor or even my dual core E6750 overkill. Arma 2 is one of the few CPU limited games.

Cheez-It

AniHawk said:
Virtua Tennis did best on the Wii, yet all three versions combined were outsold by Grand Slam Tennis.

Tennis has never really done well in the States. The most I've ever seen a Tennis game do is Tennis 2K2 on the PS2. It didn't hit 100k for its lifetime.

Hi!

What is the source for your first statement?

Cobra84 said:
To be fair most games are GPU limited, making a quad core processor or even my dual core E6750 overkill. Arma 2 is one of the few CPU limited games.

True. There's also the fact that many games are being developed on consoles now.

Still though there is no denying that achievements in gaming due to tech are getting smaller and smaller overtime.

Xeke

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I was pretty sure that Super Tennis on the SNES did fairly well too. And Pong says hi.

Pong hardly equals a 3D tennis game. Pong has more in common with bouncing a ball.

tenten said:
You think so? Japan is not enough for the ps3 to wipe out the deficit in NA.
Europe is pretty much dead even at the moment as both Sony and MS PR say they're leading...

One of these days, the PS3 is going to be $200. I think the attractiveness of a great library plus blu-ray will, for many people, trump the attactiveness of merely a great library (Xbox).

As such, the PS3 will gain ground in the U.S., probably pull ahead in Europe, and completely eviscerate the 360 in Japan. I'm actually pulling for the 360 because, other than the hardware reliability and the insanely overpriced peripherals, I like what MS is doing this generation. I just don't think they have enough firepower (especially if, heaven forbid, Bungie announces a Halo game for the PS3).

This completes my roughshod armchair quarterback analysis.

Basileus777 said:
One of these days, three years from now.

True, but that doesn't mean it won't be putting up good numbers. Look at the PS2. It's way further along in its lifecycle and still fighting the good fight.

I'm not saying the PS3 is another PS2 -- far from it -- but if it doubles Xbox360 sales month after month, even three years from now, it has a legitimate chance of finishing in second place. Of course, by then I'll be spending most of my time on the Xbox720 and an industrial gaming rig, so who's really going to care about sales?

Banned
professor_t said:
True, but that doesn't mean it won't be putting up good numbers. Look at the PS2. It's way further along in its lifecycle and still fighting the good fight.

I'm not saying the PS3 is another PS2 -- far from it -- but if it doubles Xbox360 sales month after month, even three years from now, it has a legitimate chance of finishing in second place. Of course, by then I'll be spending most of my time on the Xbox720 and an industrial gaming rig, so who's really going to care about sales?

What if the 360 is $99 and the PS4 and Xbox 720 are $299. Who is going to buy the PS3?

Flying_Phoenix said:
From Site:

"Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)"

...okay I'm just joking. But yeah my point still stands. It took THIS long for a quad-core standard game to be released. If I recall prior generations component upgrades went far faster. I got my Q6600 a year ago and it took THIS long for it to be so much to be even so much as significantly utilized?
I assume you're referring to ArmA II?

While it may be the first to recommend it on the box, it does not require it so I wouldn't call it Quad Core Standard. Also, both GTA IV and Saints Row 2 benefit notably from quad core and GTA IV was released nearly a year ago.

Fredescu

Flying_Phoenix said:
It took THIS long for a quad-core standard game to be released. If I recall prior generations component upgrades went far faster. I got my Q6600 a year ago and it took THIS long for it to be so much to be even so much as significantly utilized?
A whole year? When did you buy your first 64 bit CPU again? Implementation in software will always lag behind implementation in hardware. It has to. Games take years to make, and even then there's little point spending a lot time satisfying a small part of the market. It's no slower or faster now, you're imagining that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
AniHawk said:
Yeah, I think NSMB Wii will be huge everywhere. Just advertise that you play it like the NES original and that four people can play at once and the US will eat it up.

SMG 2 should do pretty well. Not quite as good as SMG (it'll have less time to garner sales, and it'll be the third Mario platformer on the system), but I'm guessing it'll at least beat out Super Mario Sunshine.

Man. Three Mario platformers on a Nintendo home console. I feel like I've gone back in time.

I don't understand why you, of all people, don't seem to draw a clear distinction between 2D Marios and 3D Marios. I know you control Mario in both types, and you run and jump, but pretty much everything else is different: the perspective, the visuals, the controls, the music, even the overall atmosphere to some extent.

I don't think most people see it as 3 Mario platformers on one console. They see it as 2 3D Mario games and 1 2D Mario. Some might even see it as 1 "true" Mario game: NSMB. What I mean is that Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 don't/won't have much impact on New Super Mario Bros. Wii. SMG and NSMB are 2 different beasts. At least I know I'll be buying NSMB as soon as I can, whereas SMG2 will have to wait, if I ever buy it.

SMG 2 will likely perform on par or worse than SMG, but I don't think it will have anything to do with its being the 3rd Mario game on the system. Much of it will be due to its similarity with SMG 1, unless the trailer and title were deceptive and the game is very different from SMG1, but I doubt it. You could argue that SMG2 will benefit from SMG1's very positive word of mouth, but if that were truly the case, SMG1 would continue to sell very well. Oh, and also, what you said: it'll have less time on the market than SMG1.

AniHawk

Kilrogg said:
I don't understand why you, of all people, don't seem to draw a clear distinction between 2D Marios and 3D Marios. I know you control Mario in both types, and you run and jump, but pretty much everything else is different: the perspective, the visuals, the controls, the music, even the overall atmosphere to some extent.

I don't think most people see it as 3 Mario platformers on one console. They see it as 2 3D Mario games and 1 2D Mario. Some might even see it as 1 "true" Mario game: NSMB. What I mean is that Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 don't/won't have much impact on New Super Mario Bros. Wii. SMG and NSMB are 2 different beasts. At least I know I'll be buying NSMB as soon as I can, whereas SMG2 will have to wait, if I ever buy it.

SMG 2 will likely perform on par or worse than SMG, but I don't think it will have anything to do with its being the 3rd Mario game on the system. Much of it will be due to its similarity with SMG 1, unless the trailer and title were deceptive and the game is very different from SMG1, but I doubt it. You could argue that SMG2 will benefit from SMG1's very positive word of mouth, but if that were truly the case, SMG1 would continue to sell very well. Oh, and also, what you said: it'll have less time on the market than SMG1.

Oh, I definitely make the distinction in my head. I do separate it into 1 2D Mario and 2 3D Marios, but they're still Mario platformers. And actually, I'd argue that SMG is a different beast than SMS and SM64. It's a lot less open-ended and a lot more like the 2D titles anyway.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
AniHawk said:
Oh, I definitely make the distinction in my head. I do separate it into 1 2D Mario and 2 3D Marios, but they're still Mario platformers. And actually, I'd argue that SMG is a different beast than SMS and SM64. It's a lot less open-ended and a lot more like the 2D titles anyway.

I almost agree with you. I'd add that the world of SMG is quite different from anything Mario up until now. The tone of the game too. Still, SMG is much closer to SMS and SM64 than any 2D Mario compared with any 3D Mario.

My point was that SMG 2 won't be perceived as the 3rd Mario game on the system, because 3D Mario and 2D Mario are just too different in terms of feel and success. Thus, I don't think it will have any impact on its sales. The fact that it's a straight sequel to Super Mario Galaxy will be the key factor. I think this will hurt its sales potential.

sionyboy said:
Where is the leaked data? I must have missed that :(

It was posted on Twitter for a total of about five minutes before being pulled, yet somehow every member here managed to save it, and they all continually reference it as if it's openly being displayed on the front page.

xbhaskarx

professor_t said:
One of these days, the PS3 is going to be $200. I think the attractiveness of a great library plus blu-ray will, for many people, trump the attactiveness of merely a great library (Xbox).

As such, the PS3 will gain ground in the U.S., probably pull ahead in Europe, and completely eviscerate the 360 in Japan. I'm actually pulling for the 360 because, other than the hardware reliability and the insanely overpriced peripherals, I like what MS is doing this generation. I just don't think they have enough firepower (especially if, heaven forbid, Bungie announces a Halo game for the PS3).

This completes my roughshod armchair quarterback analysis.

professor_t
GAF's Ryan Leaf
(Yesterday, 11:14 PM)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
David H Wong said:
It was posted on Twitter for a total of about five minutes before being pulled, yet somehow every member here managed to save it, and they all continually reference it as if it's openly being displayed on the front page.
GAF isn't the only gaming related website where sales data is posted on the internet. It's shocking but true.

Minsc

Gold Member
Metal Gear?! said:

While it may be the first to recommend it on the box, it does not require it so I wouldn't call it Quad Core Standard. Also, both GTA IV and Saints Row 2 benefit notably from quad core and GTA IV was released nearly a year ago.

We were talking about recommending it, not requiring it. I don't think games will "require" a quad-core for a good 3-4 years.

chixdiggit

Ghostbusters will keep on selling for a long time I think. Much of it's targeted audience won't care if it's the newest/hottest game or not.

chixdiggit said:
Ghostbusters will keep on selling for a long time I think. Much of it's targeted audience won't care if it's the newest/hottest game or not.
yeah, Ghostbusters is the kind of game that will clean up at 19.99-29.99 price point, sitting on the endcaps at Target, Walmart, etc. Maybe not a huge hit, but it will move.

Nintendo really needs to keep looking at Apple once more.

For the iPod and iPhone Apple kept adding new features and had price drops to have those devices still sell like hotcakes. Nintendo however still has the same old launch White Wii for $249.99. Haven't they learned from the DSi how much an upgrade can do?

Metal Gear?! said:

GTA IV and Saints Row 2 are due to being a horrible ports though, not optimization.

Fredescu said:
A whole year?

Well probably a bit more than that. I got my quadcore last year's June. And even than it wasn't that new.

Fredescu said:
When did you buy your first 64 bit CPU again? Implementation in software will always lag behind implementation in hardware. It has to. Games take years to make, and even then there's little point spending a lot time satisfying a small part of the market. It's no slower or faster now, you're imagining that.

I still see few games in PC gaming that are truly using the cutting edge tech in the horizon than previous years. Last generation games that truly utilized high end PC hardware weren't all that rare (BattleField 1942, Unreal Tournament 2004, Half-Life 2, etc.) now they've become far rarer.

gerg

Flying_Phoenix said:
Nintendo really needs to keep looking at Apple once more.

For the iPod and iPhone Apple kept adding new features and had price drops to have those devices still sell like hotcakes. Nintendo however still has the same old launch White Wii for $249.99. Haven't they learned from the DSi how much an upgrade can do?

Iwata has explicitly stated that he doesn't like to cut prices, so those are (mostly) out of the question. A revision may come into play, but only if they really need to have one, which they don't at the moment.

gerg said:
Iwata has explicitly stated that he doesn't like to cut prices, so those are (mostly) out of the question. A revision may come into play, but only if they really need to have one, which they don't at the moment.

It's starting to look like it. This very well could be a little flicker on the Wii's progression, but I wouldn't play things this close to the chest in business.

gerg

Flying_Phoenix said:
It's starting to look like it. This very well could be a little flicker on the Wii's progression, but I wouldn't play things this close to the chest in business.

I believe that Nintendo will not be concerned by declining Wii sales as long as potential customers aren't flocking to alternate systems. This doesn't seem to be happening. The only thing that (I would presume) would worry Nintendo then would be a failure on their part to revive hardware sales with compelling software. Granted, we'll have to wait until January to see how this works out for them, but WSR, Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii are all looking very promising in this regard.

gerg said:
I believe that Nintendo will not be concerned by declining Wii sales as long as potential customers aren't flocking to alternate systems. This doesn't seem to be happening. The only thing that (I would presume) would worry Nintendo then would be a failure on their part to revive hardware sales with compelling software. Granted, we'll have to wait until January to see how this works out for them, but WSR, Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii are all looking very promising in this regard.

Good point. It's only been 3 months or so with this trend.

rpmurphy

I don't think though, that Nintendo has thus far shown anything that could be on the level of killer app as Wii Sports and Wii Fit that will be coming. I have serious doubts that WSR, Wii Fit Plus, or the upcoming traditional franchise titles will have more than mild effects.

Johann

OldJadedGamer said:
Seems stupider now to make it exclusive for only one system in Europe doesn't it?

When I asked how popular Ghostbusters was in Europe during the announcement, I was told they were still very popular. However, two week after the initial release, the game is sliding off the UK charts and it's completely off the other European charts.

Even in the NPD, I expected to be a clean million across all platforms. We haven't seen licensed games be as reliable as they used to be, even the Pixar/Dreamworks/Nickelodeon tie-ins.

I wonder if we'll start seeing the decline in the use of the non-tie-in licensed game, as in a licensed games that are released well after the height of the license's popularity. While it isn't as bad as Wanted or Riddick: Dark Athena, Ghostbusters should have done much better due to the amount of the well-publicized movie talent behind the game and the release of the movies on Blu-Ray. These games typically have terrible or no multiplayer since most of the work goes into capturing the feel of the movies. They almost always drop off the charts in the second or third month and build up a lot of used copies.

It's also striking how well Activision has been in selecting which games to publish. More importantly, they are selecting 'exploitable' games, which can easily be sequel-ized and made much more popular with each new installment. Capcom used to be that company that could do no wrong but they slipped up badly with Bionic Commando. Dark Void is probably not going to do much better.

Activision has yet to make a huge big-budget bomb (although that might change with the new Tony Hawk and DJ Hero) that will make them re-evaluate their game plan. The scary part is that they are pretty much the only big Western publisher that can afford to take risks. They have so many dependable sources of revenue from World of Warcraft to yearly installments of Call of Duty.

gerg

Flying_Phoenix said:
Good point. It's only been 3 months or so with this trend.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic with this post.

: /

rpmurphy said:
I don't think though, that Nintendo has thus far shown anything that could be on the level of killer app as Wii Sports and Wii Fit that will be coming. I have serious doubts that WSR, Wii Fit Plus, or the upcoming traditional franchise titles will have more than mild effects.

All we can do is wait and see.

rpmurphy

gerg said:
All we can do is wait and see.
Maybe for us, but I surely hope Nintendo isn't. Grabbing exclusivity on MH3 and DQX have been excellent moves for capturing new audiences in Japan, but what about the other two regions? They can continue to capture the non-gaming population in with the existing titles, but it will be at an ever-slowing rate if they don't take the effort to develop the kinds of compelling titles like they've been doing on the DS side.

gerg

rpmurphy said:
Maybe for us, but I surely hope Nintendo isn't. Grabbing exclusivity on MH3 and DQX have been excellent moves for capturing new audiences in Japan, but what about the other two regions? They can continue to capture the non-gaming population in with the existing titles, but it will be at an ever-slowing rate if they don't take the effort to develop the kinds of compelling titles like they've been doing on the DS side.

Er... what?

"Grabbing new audiences" in what sense? In the sense that they should attract people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in owning a Wii, then sure, I agree. MH3 and DQX will most likely convince people who would never have been attracted to the Wii to consider owning one. The comparative audience in the West would be 18-35 males, the same type of people who dominate the Xbox 360 and PS3's fanbases. Here, I also agree that Nintendo hasn't made a concerted effort to attract them, but in many ways I think it would be unrealistic to expect them to do so in the first place. As other Sales-Agers have pointed out, the FPS market is one of the reddest in the industry, the exact type of market that Nintendo wants to avoid. It would cost literally billions to try and attract these customers, probably to very little success. I see no financial reason as to why Nintendo would want to go after these gamers, short of believing that they would make back the money they invested far into the future through royalty fees.

But I don't see why titles like WSR, Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii won't be "compelling experiences". iirc, in its three weeks of availability, WSR has become the best selling console game this generation, disregarding Nintendo's own other first-party games. It has also had a noticeable effect on Wii hardware sales, pushing the baseline to above 20,000 units a week. Wii Fit Plus is apparently only 20,000 yen, so I struggle to think how it won't be successful. And, again iirc, NSMB (for the DS) has sold somewhere in the region of five million units in Japan, and has reached over 18 million sales worldwide. Why would the Wii sequel be considerably different, especially when it is based on some of the same philosophies that have driven the Wii's success?

Yes, Nintendo isn't doing much to expand the amount of people who would consider buying the Wii, but I would argue that as this group includes pretty much everyone, this isn't a problem. Furthermore, while Nintendo is letting the 18-35 male group pass by, I see no financial reason for it to target them.

Top Bottom