• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

Chumly

Nice for some reason I found the 360/PS3/Wii/PSP numbers be didnt get DS/PS2. Now I only need the PS2 leak which isnt as interesting.

Cheez-It

rpmurphy said:
Of course, they simply cannot capture all of it at once, but they simply need to start with one or two key franchises and work from there. It's something they should have done much earlier in this generation, but they're in a much worse position now.

Of course, I never doubted its selling capability, but that was never my point of contention. Mario is as strong as a brand can get, but not all of its titles move systems like others do and I have my doubts about NSMB Wii as I think it's more of a game that people would buy after they already bought a Wii for something else. But its holiday release is very good timing and it should have mutual benefit with console sales.

I think you are vastly, vastly underestimating NSMB Wii.

3d mario titles are enjoyed by most long-time gamers, and some reasonably capable new gamers. Honestly, even I prefer the tight controls of a 2d mario game to dealing with 3d in SMG. It's one of the best games of all time for sure, and I love it, but I still think I enjoy playing 2d mario titles more. This is a long time gamer speaking. The vast majority of new gamers, non-gamers, etc. would likely prefer a 2d mario title. Do you think NSMB sales were just some random coincidence?

VerTiGo

Banned
Interesting, Boom Blox Bash Party sold twice as much in June then it did during it's launch month. I'm wondering if it can repeat the success of the first game, I didn't think it would but you never know really.

23,000 units in May (approx.)
47,288 units in June (NPD)

Boom Blox Bash Total - 70,000 units (approx.)

Punch-Out!! sales:

May: 156,900
June: 148,754

Total: 305,654

VerTiGo

Banned
AniHawk said:
Hey vertigo, you might wanna, y'know, not post those.

How is that any different when numbers get leaked through other purposes every other month? Or are we not allowed to discuss sales outside of the top ten? Bah, I really don't give a shit.

AniHawk

rpmurphy said:
NSMB Wii is a solid effort for a 2D Mario console game, but I think the fundamental appeal is limited so I don't believe it's a system-mover. But being released in the holidays is going to be nothing less than successful for the game, and if that can build word-of-mouth and continued marketing push after the holidays (I don't expect anything less from Nintendo), then it should sell quite well.

I imagine Nintendo will do a commercial with something about the Wii controller resembling the NES controller and using the original SMB theme/visuals like they did for the DS commercial. The fact that it's a multiplayer game too is going mean even longer-lasting sales.

VerTiGo said:
How is that any different when numbers get leaked through other purposes every other month? Or are we not allowed to discuss sales outside of the top ten? Bah, I really don't give a shit.

Because posting them here can get you banned.

dyls

AniHawk said:
Hey vertigo, you might wanna, y'know, not post those.

Yeah, I was wary about even mentioning it vaguely. But since they're already out there, hooray! Another Wii third-party bomba that turns out not so bomba after all. Still not a giant success or anything, but if it can keep up steady sales throughout the year it should quietly creep into profitability much like its predecessor.

VerTiGo

Banned
What I'm really surprised about is the continued legs of Star Wars Forced Unleashed. I had the Wii version as well. Seriously hated on to an extreme extent by the GAF wannabe gaming elites. It was a solid attempt at a Star Wars game on the Wii, even without WiiMotion Plus. By the looks of it, it looks as if its greatly outsold the multiplatform versions of the game. Furthermore, it looks like consumers prefer Force Unleashed on the Wii over the Clone Wars game, despite the cartoon artstyle of those games.

Is it true that Liberty City Stories outsold Chinatown Wars for June? That might be the single most embarrassing thing i've ever seen on NPD. 4 year old game on the worst software selling platform outselling a new GTA game on the highest selling platform.

Dra-Q

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Is it true that Liberty City Stories outsold Chinatown Wars for June? That might be the single most embarrassing thing i've ever seen on NPD. 4 year old game on the worst software selling platform outselling a new GTA game on the highest selling platform.

GTA belongs to the PSP (in handheld-gaming). Well, Rockstar should have rather prepared San Andreas Stories for the PSP GO launch via DD and UMD... and not such a cheap port of a DS game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Stumpokapow said:
boy, people reposting leaked npd numbers sure are stupid--both because it's bannable to do so even if TEH NINTENDO INTERNET BLOG.CA does it and because posting leaking numbers jeopardizes the leak and makes it less likely you'll ever see leaked numbers again.
You know, posting the source is also banable...
Lego Star Wars on Wii keeps selling like crazy. Megan Fox talking about it all the time boosting sales confirmed
Megan Fox boosts a lot of things.

Barrett2

Dra-Q said:
GTA belongs to the PSP (in handheld-gaming). Well, Rockstar should have rather prepared San Andreas Stories for the PSP GO launch via DD and UMD... and not such a cheap port of a DS game.

Yeah, that really perplexes me. Why in the hell has R* not made another PSP GTA? Both of their PSP games sold a boatload of copies, yet they haven't released one in years. Why leave money on the table like that?

I don't get R* strategy. While I understand not wanting to milk a franchise to death like Activision; it seems like they should be doing more. Like, why not have GTA5 this upcoming Christmas? They have the engine built; why not put out a sequel to GTA4 for Christmas 2010? Thats over a year and a half. And why not another PSP game?

AniHawk

lawblob said:
Yeah, that really perplexes me. Why in the hell has R* not made another PSP GTA? Both of their PSP games sold a boatload of copies, yet they haven't released one in years. Why leave money on the table like that?

I don't get R* strategy. While I understand not wanting to milk a franchise to death like Activision; it seems like they should be doing more. Like, why not have GTA5 this upcoming Christmas? Why not a PSP game?

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is being ported to the PSP and they're releasing the two DLC games as a disc for the PS3 and 360. Both should be out for the holidays.

Barrett2

AniHawk said:
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is being ported to the PSP and they're releasing the two DLC games as a disc for the PS3 and 360. Both should be out for the holidays.

I guess the GTA4 DLC strategy is a rational biz decision; it seems logical to want to extend the GTA4 franchise like that; but I don't know, even with porting Chinatown Wars; I don't see why that should preclude them from making another full GTA game for PSP. I understand the company has had shaky finances the last few years which probably limits their reach; but still, seems like it would be worth the extra money to keep releasing full PSP games.

AniHawk

lawblob said:
I guess the GTA4 DLC strategy is a rational biz decision; it seems logical to want to extend the GTA4 franchise like that; but I don't know, even with porting Chinatown Wars; I don't see why that should preclude them from making another full GTA game for PSP.

I think Vice City Stories didn't do quite as well as they expected. I'm not sure what it launched at, but it dropped to $30 or $20 pretty fast, and it was announced for the PS2 not much later.

onipex

MikeE21286 said:
wow just saw that The Legendary Stafry made it up to 19th this month on NPDs.....very surprised that it was that high and that it also outsold The Conduit.....

Starfy has a wider appeal I think. A much bigger commercial push too. Then again I saw more commercials for Ghostbusters than I did for the Conduit. I also only saw commercials for the Wii version of Ghostbusters too, but the 360 version sold more. So maybe commercial pushes don't mean much or Wii games sale at a slower rates.

Motion plus is off to a great start without the Nintendo marketing push in the states.

Barrett2

AniHawk said:
I think Vice City Stories didn't do quite as well as they expected. I'm not sure what it launched at, but it dropped to $30 or $20 pretty fast, and it was announced for the PS2 not much later.

I guess that makes sense; but if it still sells month-to-month at a nice clip w/ LCS, I would think it should have accumulated a pretty big total by now. I'd love to see some lifetime numbers for prominent PSP games.

jrricky

Banned
Just saw the leaked sales. If they are true, is BlazBlue considered a bomb?

Wow at CODWAWii selling on par with Killzone, with COD4DS selling on par with both. Also wow at GTADS and GTALCS selling on par.

Do PSP games ever crack a thousand (outside of GTA, FF, and GOW - obviously I am forgetting some other obscure games)?
lawblob said:
I don't get R* strategy. While I understand not wanting to milk a franchise to death like Activision; it seems like they should be doing more. Like, why not have GTA5 this upcoming Christmas? They have the engine built; why not put out a sequel to GTA4 for Christmas 2010? Thats over a year and a half. And why not another PSP game?
See this people? This is why we cant have nice things...

boiled goose

good with gravy
jrricky said:

Wow at CODWAWii selling on par with Killzone, with COD4DS selling on par with both. Also wow at GTADS and GTALCS selling on par.

WOW indeed :S

Barrett2

jrricky said:
See this people? This is why we cant have nice things...

Wut? GTA3, VC, and San Andreas were all released in less than a 3 year span. Thats three games in three years. Why would it be unreasonable to want two current-gen GTA games within a two year span? If anything, what I suggest is more in-line with Rock Star's past performance.

Or is it just cool nowadays to pretend like a company's financial incompetence and poor management leading to prolonged delays is what makes a sequel worthwhile?

Kenaras

jrricky said:

I'm sure some people would call it a bomb, but I don't see how anyone could have expected much more than that - especially given that those numbers are essentially first-day sales. If anything it appears to have exceeded publisher expectations; I've heard reports of the PS3 version being sold out all over the place, and the 360 version doesn't seem to be doing bad either. (PS3 version is $90 at Amazon and sold out at GameStop; 360 version is backordered at GameStop.)

jrricky

Banned
Kenaras said:
I'm sure some people would call it a bomb, but I don't see how anyone could have expected much more than that - especially given that those numbers are essentially first-day sales. If anything it appears to have exceeded publisher expectations; I've heard reports of the PS3 version being sold out all over the place, and the 360 version doesn't seem to be doing bad either. (PS3 version is $90 at Amazon and sold out at GameStop; 360 version is backordered at GameStop.)
This is because retailers never ordered enough...
We got like 2 at our store.

And I guess that these bombs references for first week sales are relative eh?...

Firestorm

VerTiGo said:
From what I understand, NeoGAF and NPD have an agreement in place so that we can receive these numbers every month. It would be nice if you didn't break that agreement.

Stumpokapow said:
boy, people reposting leaked npd numbers sure are stupid--both because it's bannable to do so even if TEH NINTENDO INTERNET BLOG.CA does it and because posting leaking numbers jeopardizes the leak and makes it less likely you'll ever see leaked numbers again.
Doesn't the NPD give each subscriber slightly different numbers, so if the exact numbers leak they can tell who leaked them? That would make the guy who leaked them without rounding them off even dumber.

DogWelder

nincompoop said:
Doesn't the NPD give each subscriber slightly different numbers, so if the exact numbers leak they can tell who leaked them? That would make the guy who leaked them without rounding them off even dumber.
I think they know who leaked them right away, since that person took them down hours later.

DogWelder

nincompoop said:
Didn't know that, the place I saw them posted on still has them up.
Not much NPD can do about that, since they have no leverage over those people.

Although there's a post in this thread with a lot more info than the Punch Out totals. =P

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Revelations said:
That cant be true. PS2 owners actually embraced third party diversity.
PS2 actually got great 3rd party support. The Wii hasn't. A lot of the highest rated 3rd party games are also a lot of the highest selling. I love how people point to games like Resident Evil series selling nearly 3 Million copies on Wii as an example of a core audience and the excuse is "But it's Resident Evil!". Well that is the point. It's one of the only AAA franchises on the Wii and it sold gangbusters on it.

Can anyone even name another AAA 3rd party game on Wii that wasn't a compromised downgrade of very superior HD versions? Rock Band and GH were considered AAA and they both sold gangbusters on Wii. I honestly can't think of another one even planned for the Wii until Monster Hunter Tri (which did OK on PS2) and DQX. Western 3rd parties continue to give wii the shaft. The Wii can't make lemonade out of turnips. Like any market leading system the Wii will reward you for the amount of effort and resources you put into it and so far that effort has been kept to a bare minimal by 3rd parties.

Using games like HOTD, NMH, The Conduit and Madworld as a barometer for how well a true AAA 3rd party game that has one of the industries best development teams behind it (the kind of games PS3/360 get on the regular) will perform is disingenuous.

I know anything resembling logic isn't for NPD threads though so I'll wrap this up now.

Kenaras said:
It's sold out at Best Buy too, I was suprised they even stocked it

AniHawk said:
Wait, its confirmed for both 360 and PS3? Last I heard it was 360 exclusive. Did that change?

Gravijah

Blu_LED said:
Wait, its confirmed for both 360 and PS3? Last I heard it was 360 exclusive. Did that change?

The Lost and the Damned is coming to the PS3 right? Pretty sure Ballad of Gay Tony is just timed exclusive.

DogWelder

Gravijah said:
The Lost and the Damned is coming to the PS3 right? Pretty sure Ballad of Gay Tony is just timed exclusive.
No, TLaD hasn't been announced for PS3. You might be confusing this with the Fallout 3 DLC.

d[-_-]b said:
Joke post? Unless you mean if the Wii stops selling...

Well if the Wii continues on it's 46% YoY decrease while the 360 continues on it's YoY increase at some point the streams shall cross, it's simple mathematics.

Yes it was a joke post ;)

soldat7

Cheez-It said:
I think you are vastly, vastly underestimating NSMB Wii.

3d mario titles are enjoyed by most long-time gamers, and some reasonably capable new gamers. Honestly, even I prefer the tight controls of a 2d mario game to dealing with 3d in SMG. It's one of the best games of all time for sure, and I love it, but I still think I enjoy playing 2d mario titles more. This is a long time gamer speaking. The vast majority of new gamers, non-gamers, etc. would likely prefer a 2d mario title. Do you think NSMB sales were just some random coincidence?

NSMB DS was so horrendously stale that I just can't get behind NSMB Wii at all. It doesn't help that I'm currently playing Yoshi's Island which is better in every imaginable way.

I guess Nintendo is stockpiling their innovation for the Galaxy franchise...All is not lost!

billy.sea

Banned
NSMB is going to be as big, if not bigger, than Mario Kart Wii. It will probably be like Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros DS that randomly pop onto top 10 of the chart every once a while even 2 years from now.

laserbeam

Banned
billy.sea said:
NSMB is going to be as big, if not bigger, than Mario Kart Wii. It will probably be like Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros DS that randomly pop onto top 10 of the chart every once a while even 2 years from now.

That I think is a very safe assumption. America really is MarioLand and a Mario game on the Wii that goes back to NES roots is gonna be huge with all variety of "gamer" on the Wii.

Was nice to see Galaxy is still pulling in close to 25k a month. Slowly but surely it adds up

hatchx

Banned
Why do NPD keep all of these numbers secret?

Where do I sign up to get the numbers? I assume I have to pay?

/serious question

charlequin said:
Nintendo's existing systemic problems: a disinterest in RPGs as a genre

I don't disagree with everything you said, but this in particular raised a flag to me. We all know the "kids with no friends" Yamauchi quote, but Nintendo overall? The company that has made a Mario RPG game for each generation since the N64? And has made multiple DS Mario RPGs? And is no doubt funding a third Golden Sun, not to mention the previous two? And responsible for the continuing Fire Emblem series, which we've seen on Wii as well? And paid for two Baten Kaitos games, despite mediocre reviews, and then purchased the company? And then went and secured Dragon Quest IX AND X on their platforms, as well as Monster Hunter Tri?

I don't know. I think they've been doing okay with RPGs. They just need a western RPG from Retro and they'll be set.

Top Bottom