• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Hatchtag

Banned
>Announced that PS4, XBO, and Vita versions are coming in August
>Still be the third best selling game of June.
God damn Minecraft. God damn.

PS4 #1 again. Dunno what else MS can do. The only next shot they have is November.
Yep, they have nothing to prop it up with. PS4 getting that multiplat loving is a killer. Exclusive are nice but continue to get those and that's all she wrote.

aka: The de facto gaming console

I think you are severely underestimating its appeal to Halo fans past and present. I expect 5 million sales over its lifetime minimum.
Yeah, I don't know the numbers for the FFX remaster, but I would expect it to beat that game handily. I don't believe the well has dried that much. If that doesn't sell somebody fucked up. You will probably not see a better deal this entire gen.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No matter how beautiful people try and make it sound, I have some big doubts on a remake collection setting the world on fire.

I think even the GTAV remake is going to be a bigger deal, honestly.

Jak140

They're refurbs though, so they were already counted.

Unless Nintendo is selling new units as refurbs and this is a clever way to have a fire sale while saving face hehehe...
Even if they are genuine refurbs they likely wouldn't have already been counted in NPD. I doubt Nintendo is going around buying used Wii Us and refurbishing them, so the most likely place they would get refurbished units would be from broken units that were sent to them for repair and already replaced with new units to the original owner.

Trey

Singlehandedly? Xbox Live existed for 2 full years before Halo 2 came out. Granted, before Halo 2 came out, Socom II alone was more popular than all of Xbox Live.

For all intents and purposes.

XBL, as you acknowledge, didn't "arrive" until Halo 2.

It wouldn't surprise me if it actually ends up being TLOU purely based on the PS4 having more units in the wild than either Wii U or PS4.

I'm sure TLOU is going to sell great, but do you think there are enough people who will rebuy the game for PS4 just a year after it was originally released? Though, there are probably a lot of PS4 owners that previously only owned a 360. It'll be interesting to watch.

Vibranium

Banned
Come on Bethesda, confirm Wolfenstein TNO 2! I'm ready for it, and I'm feeling confident at this point (though it's a hopeful guess haha) that the game sold well enough to justify one.

small44

Should do but that's one game meaning a single bump then fall much like the wii u. The situation will only change when it receives something approaching proper support.

Anyway this conversation is going wildly of topic and there's better threads to discuss it.

Biggest IP will surely come to PS4 except Monster Hunter and before those games come we can't say PS4 will still doing bad or will doing good in long term

Did they? In the states?

Last I checked the Xbox 360 was dominating hard in US/UK territories over the last generation.
And the market most definitely has spoken. The PS4 is ever further solidifying itself as the console to get in Microsoft's only strong territory worldwide.
That's not going to change all of a sudden. A precedent has been set. Or do you want to share your ideas on how the Xbox One is going to regain all that mindshare all of a sudden? I bet Microsoft could really use the input right now.

Ps3 caught up in the states if I recall. It's all about the games. There is no huge feature on either console that will sell systems. Microsoft took a gamble with the tv and Kinect and "lost". Now they are back on track for gamers. Microsoft has nearly everything in their favor. This mainly consumer options, constant updates, no paywall, new indie policy, and perhaps most importantly they are listening to customers. Like I said most people haven't got their console. They may have heard all the negative press from the internet or their friends and now they see the negatives are gone. When they have a reason to buy a console(the games thus far have been fairly unappealing) then the market "has spoken".

Halo Anniversary came out without it's original multiplayer, good (but not great reviews), and a much smaller scope.

The MCC is Microsoft's BIG game of the fall, with a huge scope, budget, and advertising push.

Define what you think is "significant", because I can guarantee that MCC is going to sell more than any other first party game (on any console) this year, and do at about 2.5-3 million in 2014 (month and a half) alone. That is significant.

So... Mario Kart 8 will beat it and your prediction will be wrong. It is over 2M and should be over 3 at the end of the holidays.

phanphare

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if it actually ends up being TLOU purely based on the PS4 having more units in the wild than either Wii U or PS4.

yeah that's actually another good call too. I was going with MK8 because it's already had a solid release, will continue to sell, and see a (hopefully) nice holiday bump. Halo collection could have an amazing opening but still not be able to make up for the lost time.

TLoU is another good call in that regard

Probably worldwide Mario Kart will win. I think Halo will sell the most in the US. Although I think XOne will have a much larger userbase worldwide by November so maybe Halo could win.

I don't see it man. Mario Kart will almost definitely be over 1 million by the time the Halo collection launches (probably more) and it will see another significant bump for the holidays.

Ps3 caught up in the states if I recall. It's all about the games. There is no huge feature on either console that will sell systems. Microsoft took a gamble with the tv and Kinect and "lost". Now they are back on track for gamers. Microsoft has nearly everything in their favor. This mainly consumer options, constant updates, no paywall, new indie policy, and perhaps most importantly they are listening to customers. Like I said most people haven't got their console. They may have heard all the negative press from the internet or their friends and now they see the negatives are gone. When they have a reason to buy a console(the games thus far have been fairly unappealing) then the market "has spoken".

The 360's lead over the PS3 is still 15~ million units in the US. The PS3 never caught up.

Assuming the Xbone has sold 5-6 million by then, that would be an attach rate of 50%.

That is an absolutely mental prediction to make.

Gears and Titanfall both accomplished this. But it's still a terrible prediction, because a remake is never going to have the "gotta have it" factor of a new gen new IP.

Driveclub? Smash Bros? I think PS4 and Wii U will hold out well on the 1st-party front this holiday season.

Sony hasn't had a first party racing game hit in the states since what...GT4? I doubt Driveclub will buck that trend. Smash will probably sell 2 million + in its opening month though, on just Wii U.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm sure TLOU is going to sell great, but do you think there are enough people who will rebuy the game for PS4 just a year after it was originally released? Though, there are probably a lot of PS4 owners that previously only owned a 360. It'll be interesting to watch.

That's the wild card. I think first full month NPDs will be telling.

Plus like I said PS4 is just clearly outselling everything else, and even remastered TLOU would immediately jump to being the best 1st Party game on the system. I say this even thinking the game is slightly overrated.

bebop242

I would legit lol if TLOU outsells Halo Collection. It would make some sense tho, with the influx of ps4 owners who never owned a ps3.

Hoo-doo

Banned

You recall wrong.

The rest of your post is just pie-in-the-sky fantasies. "Back on track for gamers", "nearly everything in their favor"? Jesus christ.

Seriously the Japanese market is irreverent for consoles now. The Xbox 360 sold 80 million without japan.

Well, the Wii sold 100mil with nearly 13mil coming from Japan. Not that I disagree about Japan's current irrelevancy in console sales.

Edit: Sorry, that's OT. I'll keep my talks to NPD now.

boingball

So the $399 SKU didn't rescue MS (as expected from their PR yesterday). I don't think the Halo collection will do wonders, and Halo 5 release is far away. By then the PS4 might have an insurmountable lead in the US. That would be quite an accomplishment for Sony. Obviously Sony has all other markets in the pocket already.

The Wii U shows some life again. Perhaps MS will battle it out with Nintendo for third place?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This will never happen. You have to be a crazy person to think otherwise.

There are MILLIONS more PS4s in the world already sold than the Bone though, and the gap is getting WIDER each month.

You have to factor this in. PS4 could have almost 4 million more consoles sold than the Xbone by the end of the year world wide. Even if we just count NPDs is US PS4 still will have a healthy console lead.

That just means that many more potential software sales.

Hero

Pretty ho-hum numbers all around, considering a 100 dollar price drop for XB1. Wii U rose to a modest number with their biggest game this year but will probably drop off next month.

Still not liking the prospects of this generation.

That's the wild card. I think first full month NPDs will be telling.

Plus like I said PS4 is just clearly outselling everything else, and even remastered TLOU would immediately jump to being the best 1st Party game on the system. I say this even thinking the game is slightly overrated.

Yeah, even if it is overrated, it has such positive word of mouth that anyone that couldn't play it last gen will want to see what they missed out on. Heck, I didn't own a PS3 last gen but I'll be getting it for PS4.

Top Bottom