• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

I would still watch out for November and December. They are going to bundle like crazy.

I'll be really curious how low both will go. I think Microsoft will make the Kinectless sku $300 by itself and the one with Kinect $400 with a few games. Sony might do a $350 PS4 with a game but not any lower. I'm expecting a $400 Killzone: Shadowfall/Infamous: Second Son bundle and a $400 Watch Dogs/Assassin's Creed: Black Flag bundle this holiday too.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but this is what I honestly thought they were doing. Take back unsold Nintendoland bundles from angry retailers, and sell them cheap. It would be a good move if it was the truth.

Yeah, I agree, that has to be what they are doing. How many broken consoles could they be getting? Not enough for them to be consistently in stock at $200 like new.

Jamix012

I really, really want to play the Halo HD collection, but I'm really baffled why people think it will buck the trend of every other HD re-release to date which have all drastically undersold real sequels. For every hardcore fan itching to drop $50 to relive the greatness, there are 3 other fans for whom that game was a phase sophomore year.

If it puts up odst numbers it would be impressive, if only because of the user base disparity.

Didn't FFX HD outdo Lightning returns, or is that just Japan?

Trey

I really, really want to play the Halo HD collection, but I'm really baffled why people think it will buck the trend of every other HD re-release to date which have all drastically undersold real sequels. For every hardcore fan itching to drop $50 to relive the greatness, there are 3 other fans for whom that game was a phase sophomore year.

If it puts up odst numbers it would be impressive, if only because of the user base disparity.

Because no other HD rerelease to date had as much content/upgrades or the first touchstone console multiplayer game.

They always make that mistake & assume that just because that the Xbox is an "American console," means that Xbox will always be on top in general. There is no brand loyalty in the U.S. when it comes to products. Heck, Nintendo used to be big in the U.S. along with Sega (with Genesis/MegaDrive). Sony was very big in the U.S. with PS1 & PS2.

People will go for the best product which appeals to them.

word of mouth plays a BIG part in that too

i made sure people/friends knew of MS anti consumer policies

BWJinxing

14493660179_27074af4c4_o.gif

It's been confirmed XB1 has sold at least twice as much as May 2014

May 2014 sales were 77k thus June 2014 XB1 sales are at least 154k which is greater than 140k

The carefully-worded PR statement from MS was that sales doubled "since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th," so that doesn't include the whole month. So no, it has not been "confirmed" as you claim, and your numbers are pure speculation.

EDIT:

Both Aquamarine and CosmicQueso have confirmed that XB1 has sold twice as much in June as in May. It's not a conspiracy and has indeed been confirmed by people that know. If you need an official confirmation from NPD be my guest

Well, I guess that's settled then.

Not if it's releases in 2016. As far as Japan is concerned, it needs these types games ASAP.

FFXIII helped PS3 a lot in Japan (along with the MGS 4) and released pretty crazily late so that doesn't really matter though the earlier the better.

But yeah, more games for Japan ASAP would be nice.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The majority of the market hasn't spoken. Most console gamers are still on last Gen consoles. We have to wait many years to get a good picture. How do you explain all of the ps3 owners settling for lower resolution games?

Did they? In the states?

Last I checked the Xbox 360 was dominating hard in US/UK territories over the last generation.
And the market most definitely has spoken. The PS4 is ever further solidifying itself as the console to get in Microsoft's only strong territory worldwide.
That's not going to change all of a sudden. A precedent has been set. Or do you want to share your ideas on how the Xbox One is going to regain all that mindshare all of a sudden? I bet Microsoft could really use the input right now.

synce

Very impressive MK8 was number 2 with just one console... Not too surprising PS4 is still number one considering MS could barely move their $450 bundle months earlier. I think many gamers have wrote them off and no price cut can change it

The carefully-worded PR statement from MS was that sales doubled "since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th," so that doesn't include the whole month. So no, it has not been "confirmed" as you claim, and your numbers are pure speculation.

Both Aquamarine and CosmicQueso have confirmed that XB1 has sold twice as much in June as in May. It's not a conspiracy and has indeed been confirmed by people that know. If you need an official confirmation from NPD be my guest

Yes it must be such a crazy predication to think that one of the most popular and best selling console FPS of all time returning with some of the greatest maps playable across Halo 1, 2, 3 in 60fps and 1080p when most of those games haven't been able to be enjoyed online on xbox in like 15 years might sell really well.

Such a crazy predication.

What demographic your speaking of is a lot smaller than you think. Are there people amped about Halo 2? Absolutely I'm one of them in fact it's the only real reason I'm getting the pack but do I make up a large portion of the gaming audience? Absolutely not. People are going to be buying Destiny. The collection will sell well but it's not going to do anything of significance. Halo Anniversary did decent but by no means amazing and it's one of the most beloved campaigns of all time.

ascii42

Yes it must be such a crazy predication to think that one of the most popular and best selling console FPS of all time returning with some of the greatest maps playable across Halo 1, 2, 3 in 60fps and 1080p when most of those games haven't been able to be enjoyed online on xbox in like 15 years might sell really well.

Such a crazy predication.

15 years? More like 4 1/2 in the case of Halo 2 (original Xbox live shut down in April 2010), and Halo 1 was never playable on Xbox Live. I agree that those two will be the biggest draw of the collection, though.

Biker19

Banned
The majority of the market hasn't spoken. Most console gamers are still on last Gen consoles. We have to wait many years to get a good picture. How do you explain all of the ps3 owners settling for lower resolution games?

Most people are still gonna wind up choosing the PS4. A console that has a big lead in it's early stage & in which word of mouth is not only being spread throughout social media, but also through families & friends everywhere that, "It's good; You should buy this console, etc." is very powerful in which helps a certain product in the long run.

We've seen it through past consoles like PS2 & the Wii.

jaypah

We only have Sony PR. They simply posted this .gif:

FdYtCww.gif

I like that .gif because the XO just keeps popping back up. It's the reality. PS4 will stay beating it but it's not going anywhere.

Anyway, maybe this will force MS to have a great late gen this time around. Certainly can't rely on 3rd party any more!

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch

Guessing the sales before knowing if it ends up in a bundle is pretty pointless anyway. I just don't think it will help them as much as a new Halo would.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
PS4 YTD: 635.645
Wii U YTD: 305.438
The Wii U selling 2K a week more at the moment doesn't really mean much.

Try doing launch aligned and you'll see just how awful the PS4 is doing. PS4 launch was very front loaded as was the wii u's. It's tracking behind by a few hundred k. It's actually getting to amongst some of the worst selling major consoles of all time in Japan launch aligned.

Cuburt

They really don't. They aren't console gamers anymore

The post I quoted said "all major territories" so unless there are bigger territories than PAL/NA/JPN, why wouldn't it count just because consoles don't sell like they used to? Neither do handhelds sell all that much compared to their mobile market share.

phanphare

Banned
I probably should have clarified. I was expecting a bigger splash considering MK8 released to much praise and the narrative post E3 was that WII U is the place to be. Not saying that isn't the case, but the sales certainly don't reflect that.

your expectations are whack then

Didn't FFX HD outdo Lightning returns, or is that just Japan?

Lightning returns is a spin-off. Check my ODST comparison. Halo collection selling like Halo 4 would be like FFX HD selling 1.5 million its first month in NPD. Or MGS collection selling 1 million. It's not going to happen.

Because no other HD rerelease to date had as much content/upgrades or the first touchstone console multiplayer game.

I'm sure the multi will easily overtake Halo 4, but is it going to overcome all of the new content being pumped into the BF/CoD/FC franchises as well as Destiny? People don't buy $400-$500 boxes to play games they have sitting in their basements.

I'm guessing 500k first month, maybe close to a million YTD if the One has a strong December.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

What is it about Halo fans that makes them completely forget about Goldeneye's existence?

Mikey Jr.

-PS4 pretty much has July, August, September, and October on lockdown. Especially in July with TLOU, with that spilling over into August, and of course Destiny in September.

-Xbone hardware isn't the worst thing in the world. It is a decent number when not compared to the PS4.

-What IS worrying is the software ratios. Not only is PS4 beating the Xbone in software numbers, the 360 at some points is beating the Xbone. I mean, Watchdogs selling better on the 360? Fuck that, GHOSTS selling better on the PS3!!

I would love to see the attach ratios for the PS4 and Xbone at this point in time. The PS4 is only half a million higher in the US. How can the PS4 beat the Xbone in every single game?

Top Bottom