• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Vast.

Banned
What demographic your speaking of is a lot smaller than you think. Are there people amped about Halo 2? Absolutely I'm one of them in fact it's the only real reason I'm getting the pack but do I make up a large portion of the gaming audience? Absolutely not. People are going to be buying Destiny. The collection will sell well but it's not going to do anything of significance. Halo Anniversary did decent but by no means amazing and it's one of the most beloved campaigns of all time.
Halo Anniversary came out without it's original multiplayer, good (but not great reviews), and a much smaller scope.

The MCC is Microsoft's BIG game of the fall, with a huge scope, budget, and advertising push.

Define what you think is "significant", because I can guarantee that MCC is going to sell more than any other first party game (on any console) this year, and do at about 2.5-3 million in 2014 (month and a half) alone. That is significant.

Somnia

They're refurbs though, so they were already counted.

Unless Nintendo is selling new units as refurbs and this is a clever way to have a fire sale while saving face hehehe...

Refurb units count as a new sale on the books. They sold the original, replaced it for the customer and fixed the broken one to then re-sell. It's considered a new WiiU entering the market and they count it as a sale. MS and Sony do the same thing, but they sell their refurb units directly through gamestop for example.

The carefully-worded PR statement from MS was that sales doubled "since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th," so that doesn't include the whole month. So no, it has not been "confirmed" as you claim, and your numbers are pure speculation.

Oh shit yeah, you have to be almost eagle-eyed when reading MS PR to spot the spin, and there certainly is some there! Shocking.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes it must be such a crazy predication to think that one of the most popular and best selling console FPS of all time returning with some of the greatest maps playable across Halo 1, 2, 3 in 60fps and 1080p when most of those games haven't been able to be enjoyed online on xbox in like 15 years might sell really well.

Such a crazy predication.
I would guess that he is referring to what you said about that most FPS games released in these days have aweful balance and map design. Its fine if you think that of course, thats would be your opinion, but the way you worded it, it could look like you thought that this is the general consensus among people, and that tons of people are waiting for Halo because of this (as in, they arent enoying today's FPS that much, so they will definitelly buy Halo). I doubt that this is the general consensus among people with today's FPS, otherwise i think the sales numbers would have been a lot lower for those games.

Really hard to say how much the Halo collection will sell, in my opinion. I assume that Halo 3 and 4 are still up and runing online, and Halo 1 Annversary Edition was released not that long ago (unless that had less content than the original Halo 1 game). I think Halo 2 in the collection will be the biggest draw/sales point. I'm looking forward to see how much it sells.

I made that predication before either console was revealed and with the assumption that the Xbone would have backwards compatibility. Nice try tho.
To be technical accurate, you said it (also?) after the PS4 was revealed ;) (Sorry, i just had to mention it).

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48169064&postcount=10

But you're right that it was on the assumption that the Xbox One would have backward compability.

zeromcd73

PS4 YTD: 635.645
Wii U YTD: 305.438
The Wii U selling 2K a week more at the moment doesn't really mean much.
What about the first 21 weeks launch alligned in Japan to give a better comparison?
Code:
Wii: 2,166,405
NDS: 1,975,309	
PSP: 1,277,990
3DS: 1,254,604
NGC: 1,157,879
WIU: 893,393
PS3: 812,074
PSV: 676,208
[B]PS4: 627,627[/B]	
DC: 594,668
360: 132,242

C4Lukins

Sony's home country no longer counts I guess.

Sadly it is really a small piece of the pie. If you were to take the average numbers of the various consoles weekly, multiply them by 5 for the 5 weeks in this NPD,, and then double it to represent the population difference between the US and Japan, it would still look like they are all bombing hard. Only the two handhelds would hold up, but even then the decreased interest in the US offsets that.

There are tens of millions of PS3's out there as well, yet the PS4 outsells every other version. 8 years in the market will do th- Oh wait.

I'm curious how long this will last for Watch Dogs. Dunno if I'm wrong in assuming the 360 SKU is going to overtake the PS4 SKU in a month or 2.

KooopaKid

Banned
Try doing launch aligned and you'll see just how awful the PS4 is doing. PS4 launch was very front loaded as was the wii u's. It's tracking behind by a few hundred k

Yep Wii U is the best selling home console in Japan right now, weekly, LTD and launch aligned.

Wii U LTD 1.830.868
PS4 LTD 635.645

The majority of the market hasn't spoken. Most console gamers are still on last Gen consoles. We have to wait many years to get a good picture.
Yeah but how do you think they'll swing once they're ready? They're going where everyone else is at*, and that's turning out to be the PS4

*Obviously I mean the majority; some folks are gonna go sans-PS4 regardless. Their choice, tho they're missing out.

See my edit. I trust Aquamarine's confirmation if he said so.
Same. It's ridiculous to think MS is lying about XBO #s...this time. Would be nice to have PS4 #s tho.

ascii42

I would guess that he is referring to what you said about that most FPS games released in these days have aweful balance and map design. Its fine if you think that of course, thats would be your opinion, but the way you worded it, it could look like you thought that this is the general consensus among people, and that tons of people are waiting for Halo because of this (as in, they arent enoying today's FPS that much, so they will definitelly buy Halo). I doubt that this is the general consensus among people with today's FPS, otherwise i think the sales numbers would have been a lot lower for those games.

Really hard to say how much the Halo collection will sell, in my opinion. I assume that Halo 3 and 4 are still up and runing online, and Halo 1 Annversary Edition was released not that long ago (which i assume is still up and runing online as well). I think Halo 2 in the collection will be the biggest draw/sales point. I'm looking forward to see how much it sells.
Halo Anniversary came with the maps remade for Halo Reach, not the original multiplayer. So this is a bit different.

bebop242

Halo Anniversary came out without it's original multiplayer, good (but not great reviews), and a much smaller scope.

The MCC is Microsoft's BIG game of the fall, with a huge scope, budget, and advertising push.

Define what you think is "significant", because I can guarantee that MCC is going to sell more than any other first party game (on any console) this year, and do at about 2.5-3 million in 2014 (month and a half) alone. That is significant.

I would hope they push Sunset Overdrive more then a port collection.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They're refurbs though, so they were already counted.

Unless Nintendo is selling new units as refurbs and this is a clever way to have a fire sale while saving face hehehe...

We have seen some GAFers literally say they thought that was the case when they got their unit.

Even still if it was already counted for total it won't be in the monthly sales to gauage current demand for the product.

Refurb units count as a new sale on the books. They sold the original, replaced it for the customer and fixed the broken one to then re-sell. It's considered a new WiiU entering the market and they count it as a sale. MS and Sony do the same thing, but they sell their refurb units directly through gamestop for example.

I also thought this as well, but I wasn't 100% sure this was the case.

small44

Try doing launch aligned and you'll see just how awful the PS4 is doing. PS4 launch was very front loaded as was the wii u's. It's tracking behind by a few hundred k. It's actually getting to amongst some of the worst selling major consoles of all time in Japan launch aligned.

Don't forget Wii lunched with Monster Hunter and Super Mario Bros and biggest ps4 lauch game is Yakuza and it's a cross-gen games i see PS4 doing a lot better then Wii U in long term

Yep Wii U is the best selling home console in Japan right now, weekly, LTD and launch aligned.

Wii U LTD 1.830.868
PS4 LTD 635.645

Best Selling 8th Gen console

Kind of an important qualifier considering PS3 is outselling the PS4 still and is close to Wii U weekly numbers

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Don't forget Wii lunched with Monster Hunter and Super Mario Bros and biggest ps4 lauch game is Yakuza and it's a cross-gen games i see PS4 doing a lot better then Wii U in long term

With what games, PS4 won't even see games of those calibre for years. What your stating is not a positive. it just means the PS4 doesn't have attractive games.

Bgamer90

Banned

Think both will get pretty big pushes since it seems like both will get their own bundles.

Halo MMC will get a bigger push though mainly due to it being a game of an establish series that's releasing during the Holiday shopping season.

bebop242

I don't follow any of the three above posts. You're grouping all consoles and their userbase into one pool. There are a lot of variables that could factor to the differences.

At face value, rightly or wrongly, it appears that the ps3 users were tired of their low end tech consoleand were in rush to jump to the best tech in the market, I guess.

I was just looking at it from an xbox userbase. Not industry. I guess that explains why I am lost :)

I'm out.

Vast.

Banned
No doubt Sunset Overdrive is their other big game for the fall. But no, a new IP from Insomniac isn't going to be able to compete with every single mainline Halo game and a 100 maps for $60. It's the series that defines Xbox. It's not a slight to SO, no PS4 or WiiU first party game will compete either (this year).

Trey

What demographic your speaking of is a lot smaller than you think. Are there people amped about Halo 2? Absolutely I'm one of them in fact it's the only real reason I'm getting the pack but do I make up a large portion of the gaming audience? Absolutely not. People are going to be buying Destiny. The collection will sell well but it's not going to do anything of significance. Halo Anniversary did decent but by no means amazing and it's one of the most beloved campaigns of all time.

Comparing the MCC to H:A is not quite cogent as the value of the former outstrips the latter by orders of magnitude.

MCC is relaunching two of the most beloved multiplayer suites ever, CE for the first time ever on consoles. Halo 2 and 3 were two of the most played games online in gaming history. Combine that with four campaigns and upgraded framerate.

What is it about Halo fans that makes them completely forget about Goldeneye's existence?

Did Goldeneye singlehandedly usher in the online multiplayer console revolution and establish UI and matchmaking standards that are still used to this day?

No, it didn't.

noobasuar

Banned
Halo Anniversary did decent but by no means amazing and it's one of the most beloved campaigns of all time.

While Halo Anniversary did decent I feel it would have done much, much better if they didn't butcher the multiplayer. Something they've figured out by this point.

Having the same multiplayer experience as the old games I feel is a really big deal.

No doubt Sunset Overdrive is their other big game for the fall. But no, a new IP from Insomniac isn't going to be able to compete with every single mainline Halo game and a 100 maps for $60. It's the series that defines Xbox. It's not a slight to SO, no PS4 or WiiU first party game will compete either (this year).

So you think the halo remastered collection will be the highest selling first party game of 2014?

I can guarantee that MCC is going to sell more than any other first party game (on any console) this year, and do at about 2.5-3 million in 2014 (month and a half) alone. That is significant.

Assuming the Xbone has sold 5-6 million by then, that would be an attach rate of 50%.

That is an absolutely mental prediction to make.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I think Advanced Warfare will outsell Destiny pretty easily. Not that they are even meant to compete, having the same publisher and all. I'm still somewhat surprised they are releasing only eight weeks apart, but I'd assume Activision knows COD will get more multiplayer fans while Destiny will get the campaign/co-op fans.

test_account

XP-39C²
Halo Anniversary came with the maps remade for Halo Reach, not the original multiplayer. So this is a bit different.
Thanks for the clarification, i didnt know that. Should be interesting to see the splits between the games. All of them have online multiplayer and they're releasing 4 games at once.

I would love to see the attach ratios for the PS4 and Xbone at this point in time. The PS4 is only half a million higher in the US. How can the PS4 beat the Xbone in every single game?

A significant portion of Xbone owners probably own both consoles and treat the PS4 as their main for multiplats.

ascii42

Did Goldeneye singlehandedly usher in the online multiplayer console revolution and establish UI and matchmaking standards that are still used to this day?

No, it didn't.

Singlehandedly? Xbox Live existed for 2 full years before Halo 2 came out. Granted, before Halo 2 came out, Socom II alone was more popular than all of Xbox Live.

Driveclub? Smash Bros? I think PS4 and Wii U will hold out well on the 1st-party front this holiday season.

Biker19

Banned
Assuming the Xbone has sold 5-6 million by then, that would be an attach rate of 50%.

That is an absolutely mental prediction to make.

This. I predict between 2 to 2 & a half million copies sold at best. Not all 5 million owners are gonna buy it, as all of them are probably not huge fans of Halo at that, but got the console for something else like TitanFall.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hey... not really related to what this thread is about... but is anyone else getting a warning message that there's some sort of malware/virus thing on the first page of this thread?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Isn't MGS5 IN 2015?
If Sony will make a special bundle it will help PS4 a lot

Should do but that's one game meaning a single bump then fall much like the wii u. The situation will only change when it receives something approaching proper support.

Anyway this conversation is going wildly of topic and there's better threads to discuss it.

Top Bottom