• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

LifEndz

The PS4 still selling well at the same price pretty crazy.

Same price and no promos anywhere near what MS is doing. I wonder what made so many 360 owners opt for it over the one. Was it MS failures in X1 pricing and architecture?

Edit: made it, ma! Top of the page!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Who even bought the Gamecube?.

*raises hand...

As much as I am a Sony fan I stayed getting every Nintendo home console created...in the US. I havent missed a beat from the NES to now.

I dont think all of the Wii base went mobile. I dont believe you buy CoD, Madden on the Wii then go all in on mobile. Manhunt 2 Wii? Yea...I think I will just play Angry Birds for the next 5 years...

I agree with those that say those folks are on PS4, XBO now. May have been already last gen and just made a total switch this gen (Wii being bought by those that had a PS3 or 360)

Maybe the Wii Fit, Sports crowd went mobile. Looking at the sales of those games...it almost aligns with the drop from Wii to Wii U in console sales.

IMO they lost the Wii Fit, Sports crowd. If Wii Sports Club U, Wii Fit U didnt sell well on the Wii U...there you go. I think Wii Sports, Wii Fit alone may have sold as much as the Wii console.

Jigorath

Banned
The PS2 had a lot of casual stuff doing well IIRC so that's probably not all that accurate.

Every successful console has a casual audience. That's why GTA and Call of Duty sell as well as they do. But if I had to pick one console who suffered the most from it's primary audience leaving console gaming entirely, it'd be the Wii.

Sandfox

Every successful console has a casual audience. That's why GTA and Call of Duty sell as well as they do. But if I had to pick one console who suffered the most from it's primary audience leaving console gaming entirely, it'd be the Wii.

That's probably true, but I was commenting on your second sentence because a decent part of the PS2 audience probably didn't move on to one of the HD twins.

No doubt. Any console that sells shit loads has what I call the "broad demographic". Gamers that aren't on forums, dont buy more than a couple games a year like Madden, COD, etc.

This issue for Nintendo is the Wii reached a segment of the market that was literally untouched and still isn't really in the console space. Elderly people were buying it and having bowling parties. Soccer Moms were buying it and doing Wii Fit.

The Wii was the biggest outlier in the history of this industry. That doesn't make it a bad thing by any means but it was largely a very unique and hard to replicate consumer source.

They still got Mad Max.

Lego Dimensions could be a monster. Or terrible. Or both.

But yeah, Mad Max could've really used an August date or hell even October since that month is basically devoid of big name AAA titles to compete with.

I'm guessing 9/1 likely gets some midnight retail openings which help... and it's hard to read if Konami is even going to support MGS all that much. Yeah, MGS will get the core MGS fanbase, but how many new players will it attract? Max is potentially more mass market, especially after the film. If they stick to the date, that'd be my guess why.

Curious if we'll start seeing them host their own E3 presentations in the near future.

Not really their style.

Splatoon has to be coming up on 1.5mil WW including digital. Wonder if we'll get a PR soon. It's going to be the best selling Wii U game not starring Mario before we even get to the holidays.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's always funny to me is how people say the Wii was 100% casual but the PS2 has no casuals.

The PS2 sold as much as it did thanks to a casual audience. Hell in 2004 Kaz Hirai dedicated a whole section of E3 to talking about capturing the casual gamer market and the console exceeded expectations at capturing that market.

He's already been banned.

I am not using casual at all. I been in gaming long enough to know casual is the majority if your market.

What a lot of us are saying and the most who purchased it, were not even "gamers" at all.

Because they sure as shit didn't migrate to the Wii U, PS4 or the Xbox en mass like it was on the Wii. Also most casuals keep a system selling for almost 10 years (PSOne/2/3) where is the Wii beyond 5?

You're wrong and simplifying this way too much.

I admit, I am oversimplifying. Typing on my phone. But I hope we are smart enough to fill in the fine details as well. But it isn't wrong. PS2 was a gaming juggernaut that lasted 10 years. You can't compare it to the jump off after 5 the Wii had. It wasn't the same audience.

TomShoe

Banned
In the US? About 11.8 million people. The best selling game was Super Smash Bro's Melee which sold almost 4 million units.

Looking at PS2's userbase, combined, the GC cornered about 11% of the market WW. (22M GC's vs. 201M consoles sold total). It's probably even worse than the Wii U at the moment.

The Wii was basically building on the audience Nintendo already found with the DS and I don't think the iPhone suddenly took off as a casual gaming device right after launch.

Gaming took off shortly after the rise of the smartphone. Smartphones began to become easily accessible, and with that, the game market began to grow as well.

*raises hand...

As much as I am a Sony fan I stayed getting every Nintendo console created...in the US. I havent missed a beat from the NES to now.

I dont think all of the Wii base went mobile. I dont believe you buy CoD, Madden on the Wii then go all in on mobile. Manhunt 2 Wii? Yea...I think I will just play Angry Birds for the next 5 years...

I agree with those that say those folks are on PS4, XBO now. May have been already last gen and just made a total switch this gen (Wii being bought by those that had a PS3 or 360)

Maybe the Wii Fit, Sports crowd went mobile. Looking at the sales of those games...it almost aligns with the drop from Wii to Wii U in console sales.

IMO they lost the Wii Fit, Sports crowd. If Wii Sports Club U didnt sell well on the Wii U...there you go. I think Wii Sports, Wii Fit alone may have sold as much as the Wii console.

I think most people were buying Mario games and Wii shovelware. Wii Sports did 83M, Wii Play did 28M (that free Wiimote tho), Wii Fit did 22M. Hell, even crappy Wii Party did 8M.

it wasn't just casuals that left, it was everyone. im not sure how some people cant see this but they literally did everything wrong from a hardcore perspective and a casual perspective. The wii had a very diverse audience, not just casuals. They did not do one thing right in terms of marketing the wii u.

idk why people just cant accept the answer that nintendo fucked up, and didn't fuck up last gen. be honest with you i dont even know what we are arguing now

Very true of course. But they are gaining momentum. I would not be surprised if they are a top end publisher 5 years from now.

Sure... but we all know the names of the people who run Activision, EA and Ubisoft. Does anyone know the name of the person running WB Games right now? That's all I'm saying... not really their style to put out the publisher over the brands and titles. More participation with the first party conferences? Absolutely, get the devs (talent) out front and center. But an ego show for the exec team isn't really how that studio rolls.

Fat4all

Banned
Very true of course. But they are gaining momentum. I would not be surprised if they are a top end publisher 5 years from now.

They might do a one-off year, like Bethesda. Beth said they probably won't have one next year.

So maybe if they have some big things to announce and talk about.

I am not using casual at all. I been in gaming long enough to know casual is the majority if your market.

What a lot of us are saying and the most who purchased it, were not even "gamers" at all.

Because they sure as shit didn't migrate to the Wii U, PS4 or the Xbox en mass like it was on the Wii. Also most casuals keep a system selling for almost 10 years (PSOne/2/3) where is the Wii beyond 5?

Sure they were...and who are you to say they are not? The played video games on Wii. They're gamers. Many of them migrated to games on smart phones. Some of them migrated to 360 with Kinect. Some of them bought a PS4. They were gamers when they played on Wii and they're gamers now. Nintendo failed at bringing those people over to Wii U because that system is about as undesirable a product as you can make. For a non-traditional gamer though, smartphones are incredibly desirable. It's really not even remotely surprising why many who bought the Wii are playing on their phones and tablets now. The games that appealed to them on Wii are best played on those devices in 2015. The Wii was the ultimate gateway to modern "casual" gaming on mobile and tablet devices. Most Wii owners haven't stopped gaming.

Same price and no promos anywhere near what MS is doing. I wonder what made so many 360 owners opt for it over the one. Was it MS failures in X1 pricing and architecture?

Edit: made it, ma! Top of the page!

If you check around there are some great deals on the PS4 right now, they are just not directly from Sony. Newegg Ebay shop had the PS4 TLOU:R bundle with an extra controller and a year of PS+ for $399. Right now Best buy is including a free silver headset with the purchase of any PS4 console. Walmart has both PS4 bundles plus two games of your choice for $433.99. They aren't officially from sony, but if you look around you can find a deal. I took the plunge this month, after deciding it didn't want to wait for a black friday bunduru to get a PS4.

Welfare

Sure... but we all know the names of the people who run Activision, EA and Ubisoft. Does anyone know the name of the person running WB Games right now? That's all I'm saying... not really their style to put out the publisher over the brands and titles. More participation with the first party conferences? Absolutely, get the devs (talent) out front and center. But an ego show for the exec team isn't really how that studio rolls.

Diane Nelson? Or was it David Haddad? It's one of them but I don't want to cheat and look it up.

Sure... but we all know the names of the people who run Activision, EA and Ubisoft. Does anyone know the name of the person running WB Games right now?

Nah but they all start somewhere. WB Games 5 years ago was NOWHERE near what it is now. Extrapolate another 5.

Dying Light franchise
Shadows of Mordor franchise
Batman / DC Games
Mortal Kombat franchise
Witcher 4 (may publish the next one as well. This time maybe globally)

These are big titles that will be / most likely will be coming from them in the future. Create a couple more large franchises and they are right there with everyone else.

I think WB is a big player in the AAA space. One thats only getting stronger as well. Every title they published this year over performed.

Also yes, WB like to put the devs on stage at their conferences so Ive been told. Maybe thats how they would handle an E3 showing

Nintendo is in a brutal spot with the NX imo. Casual audiences are gone and I'm really not sure if they will ever come back and Ninty's hardcore market is pretty small. They shouldn't be in the hardware businesses imo but thats for another thread

In particular in the west, 3DS probably constitutes the general Nintendo fanbase that's still left.

Problem with the WiiU is, it doesn't even cater to standard Nintendo fans. The library is completely unexciting to anyone who already had an original Wii or 3DS, there's barely any unique or ambitious content, plus for the first time literally no 3rd party support. And it's expensive, because of a gimmick they've clearly put no more than two minutes of thought into.

In fact, the two WiiU titles in the OP are the only relative success stories of the console right now because they are the only ones that aren't the most generic rehashes from the Wii/3DS libraries (plus not niche like Bayonetta), but clearly experiences you can only get on WiiU - even if it only comes from great new graphics in MK8, but that's already more than what most WiiU content offered up until now. So, a console with only 2 titles to write home about after two and a half years really isn't showing how small the Nintendo audience is, but just that WiiU is a bad machine that already sold more than it ever deserved.

Looking at PS2's userbase, combined, the GC cornered about 11% of the market WW. (22M GC's vs. 201M consoles sold total). It's probably even worse than the Wii U at the moment.

You're asking people on a site with thousands of American/Canadian users "who even bought a Gamecube?" in an NPD thread and the answer is a lot of us. It was a relatively popular console in North America. The original Xbox did alright here too.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So I'm curious, when do we get shipment figures from Sony/MS/Nintendo?

Sony 30/07
Nintendo 29/07
Microsoft 21/07

Edit: What lascar posted

You're asking people on a site with thousands of American/Canadian users "who even bought a Gamecube?" in an NPD thread and the answer is a lot of us. It was a relatively popular console in North America. The original Xbox did alright here too.

The Xbox actually sold 23% more units LTD than the Gamecube in the US

Nah but they all start somewhere. WB Games 5 years ago was NOWHERE near what it is now. Extrapolate another 5.

Also yes, WB like to put the devs on stage at their conferences so Ive been told. Maybe thats how they would handle an E3 showing

Throw Lego on that pile. It's a much bigger business than we recognize here.

Maybe that's how they'd do it. Will be interesting to watch what happens with Dimensions (which is a huge, enormous bet) and also to see what kind of slate will get out next year.

noshten

In fact, the two WiiU titles in the OP are the only relative success stories of the console right now because they are the only ones that aren't the most generic rehashes from the Wii/3DS libraries (plus not niche like Bayonetta), but clearly experiences you can only get on WiiU - even if it only comes from great new graphics in MK8, but that's already more than what most WiiU content offered up until now. So, a console with only 2 titles to write home about after two and a half years really isn't showing how small the Nintendo audience is, but just that WiiU is a bad machine that already sold more than it ever deserved.

Holy hyperbole Batman

Fat4all

Banned
OMG LEGO MUSOU!

That's a game I want now.

img_0213aa.jpg

Throw Lego on that pile. It's a much bigger business than we recognize here.

Maybe that's how they'd do it. Will be interesting to watch what happens with Dimensions (which is a huge, enormous bet) and also to see what kind of slate will get out next year.

Yeah good call on Lego. Also who knows Mad Max may end up big for them too. Also the Lego Dimensions gamble.

Its an interesting debate and you could be right or me, thats the fun of it. I could see it landing either way really. But if they have a couple more franchises gain some momentum I could see an E3 show happening at some point in the future.

vin-buc

In particular in the west, 3DS probably constitutes the general Nintendo fanbase that's still left.

Problem with the WiiU is, it doesn't even cater to standard Nintendo fans. The library is completely unexciting to anyone who already had an original Wii or 3DS, there's barely any unique or ambitious content, plus for the first time literally no 3rd party support. And it's expensive, because of a gimmick they've clearly put no more than two minutes of thought into.

This is some serious posting here. The 2 minute claim made me say dayyyum!!

That would actually be pretty awesome now that I think about it. It could include characters from all the different musou games too.

Wait, there are characters in those games? (Never played one, is there a musou for babies game?) Hyurlerlue Warriors?

Ninjago doesn't get that itch eh?

Mobile games before mobile games took off.

Wii Sports and Nintendogs...maybe. Nintendogs more so.

Wii Sports Resort is a genuinely fantastic arcade experience and one of the best games Nintendo developed during the Wii era. It's wonderful in pretty much every way and far from a mobile-like experience.

All this Nintendog shaming is harsh, yo.

I loved Nintendogs.

It was a truly unique, fresh concept and the hate it gets from some in the "core" community is pathetic.

Top Bottom