• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

Mory Dunz

Not sure that is definition of a "sleeper hit".

It's Nintendo. It was well talked about for almost a year. It's Nintendo.

w101 is Nintendo. And was well talked about for almost a year.
Bayo is Nintendo (Well Bayo2). And was well talked about for over a year.
Xenoblade is Nintendo. And is well talked about for over a year. (Not saying it'll bomb in the west but....)

ZhugeEX

Banned
jontron_nightshade_reaction_gif_by_metroid0070-d5gmyks.gif

:(

Want to hear something worse.

Despite the Dreamcast being discontinued early on, it has still sold more than the Wii U when looking at the same timeframe.

However the Wii U should exceed the Dreamcast install base in a couple of months.

Welfare

Despite the Dreamcast being discontinued early on, it has still sold more than the Wii U when looking at the same timeframe.

However the Wii U should exceed the Dreamcast install base in a couple of months.

Wait what was the Dreamcast LTD?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Nintendo Wii U has sold more than 4 million units in the USA since launch.

In the same time frame the Nintendo Wii sold through more than 20.6 million units to end users in the US.

The Wii was definitely a hype driven, "Angry Birds" marketed anomaly.

Take that out of the equation and Nintendo home consoles have been on an average of 10 million LTD decline generation to generation since starting with the SNES. And the Wii U is fitting that same pattern, especially if they drop the "NX" next year (only if it is a new home console/combo and not just a handheld)

Fat4all

Banned

Thank god for that, at least.

crinale

Xenoblade is Nintendo. And is well talked about for over a year. (Not saying it'll bomb in the west but....)

Well if a game receives marketing push equivalent to MK then I don't know if that's really a "sleeper hit" (not saying Bayo would have sold the same with similar marketing push).

Yea Tomodachi and Luigi Mansion 2 seem closer to sleeper hit.

Splatoon is over expections though I would assume.
It might pass Smash U in Japan.

Yeah those fit to definition well IMHO.

If a gamer is going to pick between two 3rd person open world games on the same day, they likelihood that they go with the game that has years of hype going for it versus a game that hasn't show particularly well and hasn't had much of a marketing push is pretty high.

That's not to say that mad max isn't going to do well but it's probably better served launching either before or after mgsv
Mad Max should have some good legs heading into Black Friday, at least.

But yeah, Mad Max could've really used an August date or hell even October since that month is basically devoid of big name AAA titles to compete with.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Nintendo Wii U has sold more than 4 million units in the USA since launch.

In the same time frame the Nintendo Wii sold through more than 20.6 million units to end users in the US.

Which is why nobody should be shocked when they go for a more affordable system next round.

Mory Dunz

Well if a game receives marketing push equivalent to MK then I don't know if that's really a "sleeper hit" (not saying Bayo would have sold the same with similar marketing push).

Yea Tomodachi and Luigi Mansion 2 seem closer to sleeper hit.

noshten

Mario Kart 8 has achieved >50% attach rate in the USA and ~53% attach rate worldwide.

Wonder if Nintendo will ever release the number of people who bought the MK8 DLCs and whether they are working on another DLC towards the game. It would be a smart thing to do considering dat attach rate.

The Mario Kart people have probably moved on by now.

That entirely depends on what type of resources are needed to create the type of flashed out DLC they made so far for MK8.

Sandfox

Wonder if Nintendo will ever release the number of people who bought the MK8 DLCs and whether they are working on another DLC towards the game. It would be a smart thing to do considering dat attach rate.

The Mario Kart people have probably moved on by now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I also added to another post saying the consensus of the demographics. Parents feel safer buying their kids Nintendo versus a Shooter or God of War device. They will buy their kids Mario Kart and Splatoon over Bayonetta.

As someone else mentioned. Marketing plays a role as well. My point is, it wasn't a "sleeper hit". It was well known and had MK8 like marketing.

Sandfox

Lol what? No way, us Mario Karters would totally buy more DLC.

The game came out more than a year ago, we know for a fact that Konno has moved on, and by now Nintendo should be focusing on developing NX and mobile titles.

Edit: year I was talking about the devs sorry about that lol.

TomShoe

Banned
Finally got back from the gym. Nothing is worse than doing squats and ripping a loud fart. Thank god everyone had headphones on. Did I miss anything important?

Mad Max should have some good legs heading into Black Friday, at least.

But yeah, Mad Max could've really used an August date or hell even October since that month is basically devoid of big name AAA titles to compete with.

Halo 5 and NBA 2K. Though getting it out in the first week or two might work.

The Wii was definitely a hype driven, "Angry Birds" marketed anomaly.

Take that out of the equation and Nintendo home consoles have been on an average of 10 million LTD decline generation to generation since starting with the SNES. And the Wii U is fitting that same pattern, especially if they drop the "NX" next year (only if it is a new home console/combo and not just a handheld)
No, for the Wii the hype was real, despite journalists and pundits saying year after year "the sales are going to pop". The unusually high sales of 3rd party garbage minigame collections (in addition to some of the best-selling games of all time like Mario Kart Wii, NSMB Wii, Wii Fit, etc) proves that the owners of the system played the system and it wasn't just a Wii Sports machine.

I believe the Wii's attach rate was 8.84, higher than the NES, the SNES, the N64, the DS, and the GBA. You don't have an attach rate like that while simultaneously having everyone's Wii "collecting dust" like people always claimed.

Source:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/these-are-nintendos-lifetime-hardware-and-software-numbers

Not saying the Wii was the best console for all gamers, but I rather liked it and ~100m other people liked it enough to buy it, at least.

I also added to another post saying the consensus of the demographics. Parents feel safer buying their kids Nintendo versus a Shooter or God of War device. They will buy their kids Mario Kart and Splatoon over Bayonetta.

I think you're overestimating the percentage of Wii-U sales that are actually being made to/for children. If the Wii-U were selling as well to the under 18 demographic as they traditionally were in generations past and had only lost the adult audience, then honestly I don't think anyone would be nearly as worried about the company.

Awesome news for splatoon.

It's weird how some 3rd party games sell more on ps4, some sell more on xb1..

There's little logic to it.

More kids on Xbox = kiddy games like Lego, Minecraft, and Call of Duty sell better
Elder Scrolls was made popular on Xbox + PS4 has the superior FFXIV = ESO sells more on Xbox One

The game came out more than a year ago, we know for a fact that Konno has moved on, and by now Nintendo should be focusing on developing NX and mobile titles.

Edit: year I was talking about the devs sorry about that lol.

Ah I see, makes sense now... But one could wish for more MK8 DLC

Elios83

Yeh, I just got back from the gym and this guy did the loudest fart ever! He thought I had headphones in but the music was on pause so I heard it.... was so awkward!

So he was confident in the smell if the only reason why he did it was thinking you couldn't hear it :p

Finally got back from the gym. Nothing is worse than doing squats and ripping a loud fart. Thank god everyone had headphones on. Did I miss anything important?
Lmao. I remember this happening to one of my friends back in college. Everybody heard it, everybody collectively paused, and he just silently walked out of the room. It was the most hilariously awkward thing ever.

Yeh, I just got back from the gym and this guy did the loudest fart ever! He thought I had headphones in but the music was on pause so I heard it.... was so awkward!
Lol. Zhuge, you're awesome.

No, for the Wii the hype was real, despite journalists and pundits saying year after year "the sales are going to pop". The unusually high sales of 3rd party garbage minigame collections (in addition to some of the best-selling games of all time like Mario Kart Wii, NSMB Wii, Wii Fit, etc) proves that the owners of the system played the system and it wasn't just a Wii Sports machine.

I believe the Wii's attach rate was 8.84, higher than the NES, the SNES, the N64, the DS, and the GBA. You don't have an attach rate like that while simultaneously having everyone's Wii "collecting dust" like people always claimed.

Source:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/these-are-nintendos-lifetime-hardware-and-software-numbers

Not saying the Wii was the best console for all gamers, but I rather liked it and ~100m other people liked it enough to buy it, at least.

Of course the sales were real, but I think the argument people make when they discount it as an outlier or anomaly is that it didn't create anything for Nintendo to build off of. It' didn't create a loyal fanbase they could sell more hardware too. It was monstrously successful for a solid 3-4 year period, and moved tons of hardware and software, but when people dropped it they dropped it like a rock and the brand meant nothing to them.

As far as the NPD, man Sony is really killing it with these 3rd party marketing relationships. It feels like they are linking themselves to the biggest and most sought after games and aligning them in their camp. Destiny last year. Batman this summer. Then Star Wars in the Fall. Those might not be exclusives but having the co-marketing and branding seems to be doing wonders for them. Smart marketing moves on their part.

Welfare

You can not recover.
Was gassy and using the treadmill. Have not returned.

One of iwata's last comments was about Splatoon after a comment / question from a shareholder.

" Iwata: As some of you may have seen the TV commercials we have been airing recently, “Splatoon” is a brand-new title and not a title from an established series. It has a very unique and fantasy-like setting. This game, inspired by squid squirting out ink, is played by human-shaped characters with squid-like features shooting, instead of squirting, ink at each other, and the team that paints the widest area in its team color wins. Having received high recognition from our consumers for its novelty, this title’s sell-through sales reached 1 million units in less than a month from its release. We feel very grateful for this, since our view was not so optimistic prior to release, for it being a non-series title."

Splatoon certainly surpassed Nintendo's expectations.

TomShoe

Banned

This is why I have this avatar. That's the exact face I made when I smelled it. Oh man, it was bad. That was also the face I made when looking around to see if anyone smelled it as well. Thankfully the gym was pretty empty, so I wafted it away and kept going.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

And where are they now? And how many closets did this thing end up in or collecting dust after that novelty worn off? I am not discounting the sales at all, just pointing to why it is now seen as an anomaly for them.

It came out at the right time, a more impulsive price with a motion control fad that cashed in on the grannies and soccer moms who were loving the touch games on their iPhones that started to boom at the same time.

Not saying it was bad, I loved some of the Nintendo games on mine. But as a more core gamer than the mass who bought it, that waggle effect wore off in a month and I was playing games on a classic pad.

It was an anomaly for them for system sales, because as I said before, their systems have been on a 10 mil on average decline every year. And Wii removed, it is followed that exact pattern to a T.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
One of iwata's last comments was about Splatoon after a comment / question from a shareholder.

" Iwata: As some of you may have seen the TV commercials we have been airing recently, “Splatoon” is a brand-new title and not a title from an established series. It has a very unique and fantasy-like setting. This game, inspired by squid squirting out ink, is played by human-shaped characters with squid-like features shooting, instead of squirting, ink at each other, and the team that paints the widest area in its team color wins. Having received high recognition from our consumers for its novelty, this title’s sell-through sales reached 1 million units in less than a month from its release. We feel very grateful for this, since our view was not so optimistic prior to release, for it being a non-series title."

Splatoon certainly surpassed Nintendo's expectations.

Exactly. This to me is the definition of a sleeper hit. Kinda like how ND felt about TLoU. (they talked about it at a roundtable interview recently)

Only difference is when trailers and gameplay was shown there was so much hype and want for TLoU. I dont think so really for Splatoon.

Splatoon - sleeper hit.

Mory Dunz

Of course the sales were real, but I think the argument people make when they discount it as an outlier or anomaly is that it didn't create anything for Nintendo to build off of. It' didn't create a loyal fanbase they could sell more hardware too. It was monstrously successful for a solid 3-4 year period, and moved tons of hardware and software, but when people dropped it they dropped it like a rock and the brand meant nothing to them.

Is there much really much "loyalty" period? In the gaming industry nowadays
If your next product stinks (or is just less attractive), consumers won't buy it. Regardless of they previously bought.

Wii U situation is obvious.
Xbox 1 is going no where near ~85 million, Maybe like half of that but who knows. And its current LTD is after all the price cuts and deals.
PS3 started badly, but recovered. However, Sony lost an effload of money despite selling ~85 million. So hard to say "recovered". And that was off the back of the most selling console ever.

Seems like loyalty is a bit overrated.

Cidd

Goddamn it GAF, Rofl.

I live for these moments I'm in tears, Thank you.

Top Bottom