• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Gadfly said:
This probably doesn't count the copies that were returned back to retail after buyers found out the game is an RTS.

nate_robinson.gif

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Opiate said:
I'd actually appreciate if you did, as it illustrates, combined with Zealous' post, the wide variety of expectations for the title.

ZealousD said:
You're free to do so. I wasn't one of them!

Ah, ok then.

BishopLamont said:
There is no chance KZ2 will make top 10 in March.

...well that's really all I could find. :lol

Most predicted a 10th or 9th place finish for Killzone 2 in March.

Few old quotes I dug up from an older NPD thread.

Musashi Wins! said:
There's no way in hell Halo Wars outsells Killzone 2 right? Even with the license, it's a fairly generic (imo based on demo) RTS vs. a graphics first FPS.

professor_t said:
I think KZ2 will crush Halo Wars.

What's the best an RTS game has ever sold on a console? Even a mediocre FPS probably could put up better numbers, and KZ2 hardly looks mediocre.

plagiarize said:
KillZone 2 will possibly sell more than MGS4 did, with the right advertising push at least.

there's a chance it could do better than MGS4 did in later months too if we do get a price cut in march. that'd give it another bounce in sales i'd expect.

Blame! said:
i think it iwll blow most anything out of the water in Feb, outside of SF4. then we will really see it start to do well in march, even against RE5.

this game has that FPS appeal similar to games like COD and halo. no reason why it can't perform.

chris0701

SuperSonic1305 said:
If K2 had launched March 1st and sold 619k in March NPD would it still be a flop because everyone is acting like it had 2 full months.

It is still not on the COD4/5 level for 620k sales in one month.

I can't believe the amount of "yeah, KZ2 did pretty good" stuff I am reading here. This was a hugely hyped, supposedly hardware moving, exclusive first party game that has been in development for a long time.... and only sold a bit over 500K in the US in its first 6 weeks.

Yes 500K is not a complete flop, but there have been numerous 3rd party games in the last year on both PS3 and 360 that have easily outsold KZ2 in the same time frame... thats not good news for Sony first party development.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Stoney Mason said:
Now that's just stamping the poor guys heads into the mud, they already got called out once.

*Looks at names listed*

Oh, these are different, hah.

Meier

Sony probably spent a million bucks on GAF advertising alone. I've never seen the same ad more in such a short period of time in my life.

Stoney Mason said:

Wow. Those quotes really put it into perspective.

Time and time again this has been the case for most of the major PS3 releases. The next big release just around the corner is going to start to push hardware, but it never comes to fruition.

I really think that just like the Wii is attracting a different demographic than the 360, the same is the case for the PS3. Remember, when the system was in its infancy it attracted a lot of movie buffs due to it being the cheapest option for a Blu-Ray player. Those people are not buying games. Also, now that Blu-Ray players have come down in price it is having less of an impact on the month to month hardware sales.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FirstInHell said:
Wow. Those quotes really put it into perspective.

Time and time again this has been the case for most of the major PS3 releases. The next big release just around the corner is going to start to push hardware, but it never comes to fruition.
I don't really see anyone in those quotes saying KZ2 will push hardware, just that it'll crush the software competition.

Kilrogg said:
Double-edged sword.

I totally know where you're coming from. On the one hand, Madworld doesn't really appeal to me either, so, do I want it to succeed and have third parties the same kinds of games? Not really, because chances are those won't appeal to me either. On the other hand, the more variety on the system, the less pigeonholing on the industry's part. The Wii more than any other system has been suffering from a preconceived idea of what demographics own one, what Wii owners want, what they don't want, etc. If a wide variety of experiences can thrive on the system, it sends the message that there's avenue for innovation and exploration and, of course, sales success.

But again, I don't necessarily want the Wii to become just a Wii with its fair share of hardcore games, as they appeal to me less and less and won't save the industry any more on the Wii than on the PS3/360. I want the boundaries of the medium to be pushed further, and not only by Nintendo. And more than anything else, I want more games that show effort and love from the developers, not the current shovelware festa and consumer disdain.
It's a shame really. I have very specific tastes that really can only be catered to by a console with a diverse library. Currently, the only system I see fulfilling those needs is the DS (OMFG Ace Attorney, Castlevania and EBA/Ouendan trio of awesomeness), with the Wii a distant second. Now that I finally have a PC that's up to scratch, I can get my primal UNF UNF UNF GRAFIXZ fix as well (though up to now, the only game I absolutely had to have was Bioshock).

My problem is that I don't like the shooters, sports games, racing games, fighting games or console RPGs (though I LOVE RPGs on the DS) that seem to dominate "hardcore gaming" these days, so I find that the majority of the major releases on consoles aren't really aimed at me. I've never tried horror games, so I can't comment on those, but the fact is that the genres that appeal to me are as niche as hell. I NEED a console with a diverse enough library to hold all the wacky/interesting games I like to keep me going.

I want gaming that will appeal to ME, damn it! When the DS came out, I knew it was the console I was waiting for and I had (and in many ways still have) high hopes for the Wii as well. I want "core" third party games to succeed on the system because it raises the probability that I'll be able to find my console equivalent of Ouendan. Is that too much to ask for?

LM4sure

Banned
RE5 on PS3 got crushed by the 360 version! Wow, twice as many sold on the 360! The RE series STARTED on the PS1, so this is really embarrassing.

Those Killzone 2 numbers are not good....are they?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LM4sure said:
RE5 on PS3 got crushed by the 360 version! Wow, twice as many sold on the 360! The RE series STARTED on the PS1, so this is really embarrassing.

Those Killzone 2 numbers are not good....are they?

The numbers are great if you don't put things into perspective.

Averon

Dirtbag said:
wow just caught up on the thread from about 10 pages back.. quite a few casualties :lol

(neutral) Frillen
Banned
(Today, 04:48 PM)
Reply | Quote

Thank god this guy is one of them. His blatant trolling was so annoying.

chris0701

biggkidd32 said:
Really? I remember GTA4, MGS4, and even Halo 3 garner more hype.

I could not recall there was one game that earned so much gifs/accailm for visual/threads around forums like KZ2 in this generation.

scitek

FirstInHell said:
I really think that just like the Wii is attracting a different demographic than the 360, the same is the case for the PS3. Remember, when the system was in its infancy it attracted a lot of movie buffs due to it being the cheapest option for a Blu-Ray player. Those people are not buying games. Also, now that Blu-Ray players have come down in price it is having less of an impact on the month to month hardware sales.
I think you're dead-on about that. I bet tons of people use it as a DVD/Blu-Ray player before a gaming machine.

Also, with regards KZ2's sales, people are comparing its sales to other games that released during the holiday season. That practically negates any points made using that information. Especially holiday seasons WITHOUT a recession vs. a mid-spring IN a recession.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
LM4sure said:
Don't tell me you still believe this. Did the dozen of other PS-born multiplatform titles that sold way better on 360 totally fly by you?

scitek

chubigans said:
Don't tell me you still believe this. Did the dozen of other PS-born multiplatform titles that sold way better on 360 totally fly by you?

Not only that, but it's like these people think the world is a place where brand loyalty is first and foremost. PSOne gamers are also, for the most part, of the age now where they probably don't even play games anymore, so any legacy it has on a console THAT old is completely irrelevant, anyway.

Dirtbag said:
wow just caught up on the thread from about 10 pages back.. quite a few casualties :lol
I haven't read every thread, maybe thats why I don't understand half of these bans. what is a no-no that will get you banned?

scitek said:
PSOne gamers are also, for the most part, of the age now where they probably don't even play games anymore, so any legacy it has on a console THAT old is completely irrelevant, anyway.
Yes, we're so old and crusty now that none of us game at all. Arthritis in the hands you see... plus it's hard to see the screen these days through the cataracts.

/checks birthdate

!

RE5 360 had to clear a 400k spread to outsell the PS3 version between JP-US.

It did. And I'm very happy that it's over 2 million between just Japan and USA.

Worldwide it could close in on best selling RE in franchise history. PC version hasn't even been released.

starsky

I'm surprised at KZ2 numbers. In Australia, that's the only game I've seen advertised on TV. Since 2009 I never see any other games, but KZ2 ads I've seen at least 3 times.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
scitek said:
Not only that, but it's like these people think the world is a place where brand loyalty is first and foremost. PSOne gamers are also, for the most part, of the age now where they probably don't even play games anymore, so any legacy it has on a console THAT old is completely irrelevant, anyway.
That's not really true. The massive spike in the sales of games targeted at older audiences is strong evidence that the average age of gamers is increasing. The 100 million copies of the Sims franchise sold so far aren't all selling to 12-17 year olds by a long shot. Most of the people on games like World of Warcraft aren't especially young either due to the payment models. The sales of games like Empire: Total War and slow paced WRPGs aren't exactly wrangling the young crowd either.

Fafalada said:
Well you grossly overestimate what people in game industry are ACTUALLY paid.

what someone is paid isn't nearly the same as the cost to the company. If people in this industry are getting any kind of benefits, those along with SS, medicare, workmans comp and unemployment will almost double the cost to the company compared to just the wages.

Good sales for MLB 09 The Show.

Not only does it set the bar for baseball games, but it also sets the bar for sports video games in general.

In fact, I really think in terms of quality MLB 09 The Show should have outsold RE5. Shit, I usually don't even like sports games.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'm always surprised at the correlation between those who think game a is sweet, golden nectar dripping from the beards of the gods, and those who think borderline mediocre sales for game a are "respectable/good numbers!".

personally i'm fuming at the seams that more of you oiks don't buy some of great pc games that slip under your cheeto-dust encrusted radars each month.

get mad, goddamn.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
All I have to say is hell yes, Frillen was banned, fuck off.

Oh and the numbers are interesting too.

wow, the show really showed up!

scott steinberg redeemed, i know i laughed at his statement.

RESIDENT EEEEVVVIIILL!!!!

... shoulda called GTA Chinatown Party

DevelopmentArrested said:
Man... if Madworld needed to sell 2 million to make a profit, how many copies would KZ2 have to sell to break even?

Nobody actually believes this.

Actually, this is exactly the kind of topic we need to see Pachter and company discuss on that Gametrailers thing that gets dragged out for four weeks.

Top Bottom