• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Asd202

FF type 0 = vita resurrection .. I hope

Hahaha. In case you missed it single player FF as a series has fallen like a rock this gen in the west. From a million seller that was XIII to 350k with XIII-2 and even less with LR and X HD. Also you can't resurrect what is dead.

Sandfox

US sales:
Code:
         3DS 2013   PSP 2007   NDS 2007
January      145        211        239
February     189        176        485
March        230        180        509
April        113        183        471
May          114        221        423
June         225        290        561
July         150        214        405
August       130        151        383
September    220        285        496
October      452        286        458
November     770        567       1530
December    1100       1060       2470
            3838       3824       8430

3DS 2014   PSP 2008   NDS 2008
January       97        230        251
February     155        243        587
March        159        297        698
April                   193        415
May                     182        452
June                    337        783
July                    222        608
August                  253        518
September               238        537
October                 193        491
November                421       1570
December               1020       3040
              411      3829       9950

It sure is catching up with PSP.

The PSP dropped off pretty hard after 2008.

Feorax

In January, Microsoft announced they had shipped 3.9m two months after launch. From Jan to April, they shipped a further 1.1m. This means retailers are slowing down their purchase because of weak demand and unsold stock. This fact alone will guarantee a price cut at E3. As Major Nelson says, Microsoft know what they need to do.

A price cut and Halo 5 bundle for this Christmas should be their absolute priority. There's not a whole lot else they can do now until E3, so they can only hope that, in the meantime, sales don't slow even futher now that the big hitter has been and gone.

Sublyminal

Neo Member
A price cut and Halo 5 bundle for this Christmas should be their absolute priority. There's not a whole lot else they can do now until E3, so they can only hope that, in the meantime, sales don't slow even futher now that the big hitter has been and gone.

I'm not even sure if Halo can pull them out of the hole they've managed to dig themselves.

Curufinwe

Halo 5 won't be ready.

~~Hasan~~

so i have been thinking about this. as a proud new owner of xbox (and PS4), i have to ask, should i be worried about the developers now shifting their focus from the xbox one and only on PS4 ?so we will stet getting bad ports etc ?

i mean, i really love my ps4. but i am honestly currently enjoying the xbox way way more than with titan fall, forza and KI. i have Infamous but i am not playing it much.

and this kind of sales figures worries me. considering that i honestly believe MS should have and must have won march sales. it was only fair. lowering the price and including the biggest game.

titalfall to be honest in my eyes is the best fps game i have ever played. that includes COD and BF. not about the graphics of course but the fun and the bass in this game is just god damn amazing.

Faustek

US sales:
Code:
         3DS 2013   PSP 2007   NDS 2007
January      145        211        239
February     189        176        485
March        230        180        509
April        113        183        471
May          114        221        423
June         225        290        561
July         150        214        405
August       130        151        383
September    220        285        496
October      452        286        458
November     770        567       1530
December    1100       1060       2470
            3838       3824       8430

3DS 2014   PSP 2008   NDS 2008
January       97        230        251
February     155        243        587
March        159        297        698
April                   193        415
May                     182        452
June                    337        783
July                    222        608
August                  253        518
September               238        537
October                 193        491
November                421       1570
December               1020       3040
              411      3829       9950

It sure is catching up with PSP.

Unfortunately I think it'll drop harder than the PSP. Perhaps a 3DSi release without region restrictions(break the circle) can help it in EU but I don't see anything really pushing it further in the US.

And Vita? Damn son, I love you more than anything out there but Daddy Sony needs to give you some major loving outside of the 2 new games and a few ports and upgrades.

From the first few pages of the 7 million ps4's sold topic

Into said:
Congrats to them

Is this a pre preemptive NPD strike? Almost everyone thinks MS won this last month and likely did, so they are bringing this out to drone NPD out. Its a classic move, would not surprise anyone who has worked in PR

Slashlen said:
I'm guessing the fact that they released this today means they lost the NPD race for the month, but they're probably happier with the 7 million anyway.

Pain said:
It means they're pulling a Microsoft and doing preemptive damage control.

Microsoft deserves March though. They really had a lot of great deals and bundles.

Bessy67 said:
They waited 10 days to announce this. They sold 7 million on April 6th and waited until April 16th, the day before NPD reports go public, to announce that. It's a perfectly logical conclusion that they're doing this because MS won the March NPD and Sony is attempting to steal MS's thunder.

ibz7PyhVoBfkog.gif

Prine

Banned
so i have been thinking about this. as a proud new owner of xbox (and PS4), i have to ask, should i be worried about the developers now shifting their focus from the xbox one and only on PS4 ?so we will stet getting bad ports etc ?

i mean, i really love my ps4. but i am honestly currently enjoying the xbox way way more than with titan fall, forza and KI. i have Infamous but i am not playing it much.

and this kind of sales figures worries me. considering that i honestly believe MS should have and must have won march sales. it was only fair. lowering the price and including the biggest game.

titalfall to be honest in my eyes is the best fps game i have ever played. that includes COD and BF. not about the graphics of course but the fun and the bass in this game is just god damn amazing.

You don't have much to worry about, Xbox One just isn't doing as well and PS4, but it's performing well (better then 360). If they drop the price, that should give you an indication of how serious they are.

Hahaha. In case you missed it single player FF as a series has fallen like a rock this gen in the west. From a million seller that was XIII to 350k with XIII-2 and even less with LR and X HD. Also you can't resurrect what is dead.

Are you really using FFXIII to say that FF is dead? This gen gave us a crap mainline entry and two sequels no one wanted. It's hardly suprising that sales took a nose dive. Type-0 is the only game fans have wanted since it was released in Japan. Give us that as well as FFXV and FF is far from dead

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Vita at 10K is absolutely diabolical. E3 is their absolute last chance to do something with it, maybe cut the price rock bottom and include a 64Gb card, hoping people buy games on it or sub to PS Plus.

Shame, as I love that thing, but it's a rapidly dwindling market and I'm not sure they can do anything to even make a modest success. At least it'll always have fan good will.

I think sony made the right decision in ditching the vita and let the indies to prop it up. Release old classic games on the psn and some ports here is really the only thing they can and should do here. Forget about big budget AAA console experience games on the vita , they ain't going to exist no matter how hard they try. Call of duty declassified and assassin's creed liberation being the biggest 3rd party titles for the system already speaks for itself.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And Vita? Damn son, I love you more than anything out there but Daddy Sony needs to give you some major loving outside of the 2 new games and a few ports and upgrades.

Just give me FFXII:I:ZJS HD remix already, Sony/Square. After that you can kill the system
and die in Square's case

It could be my Disgaea 3-4/D1 sequel and P4G, FFXII machine but noooooo...

Sandfox said:
The PSP dropped off pretty hard after 2008.

Well, that's because barely ANYTHING was coming to the system in 2008 for the US/EU.

Kinda like... *dun-dun-DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN* the PSP2. I mean just look at the release calender and laugh. Double-so if you filter to North America (LOL), Europe (LOL LOL), or Australia (LOL LOL LOL!)

Ploid 3.0

Even though they dropped the price for sales I think PS4 was still the better deal due to hardware, and potential vs xbox one's. A lot of people that wanted Xbox One for Titan Fall most likely already had it, just like a lot of people that want PS4 for GT6-7, Naughty Dog/SSM/etc. games, and most likely better versions of multi platform games have gotten and are waiting on a PS4. PS4 just seem to be the more attractive deal for a good amount of reasons, especially for PC gamers that need a foot in the console side for the games that don't come to PC.

People won't want to pay $399 for a WiiU since they can just get a PS4, but they will have to if they want to get nintendo games. Even less people would buy it but it will sell.

Faustek

Just give me FFXII:I:ZJS HD remix already, Sony/Square. After that you can kill the system
and die in Square's case

It could be my Disgaea 3-4/D1 sequel and P4G, FFXII machine but noooooo...

Hah, I agree but don't want to kill the Vita, only handheld system that doesn't turn me of from its library. Well can always hope Nintendo goes apeshit and releases a worthwhile(hardware) handheld 15/16.

Tobor

This makes no sense. Why would you worry, you own both systems? Buy the muliplats on PS4 and keep your Xbox for it's exclusives if you like that sort of thing.

As for who "deserved" to win or what's fair, the market has spoken.

frizby

This NPD is really stunning in a month where XBOne released the most (over?) hyped game in recent memory, had it packed in for free and also had a de facto $50 price drop. If you planned to buy Titanfall anyway, the XBOne was effectively cheaper than PS4 in March.

This is in MS's strongest territory and is likely to be their strongest month until at least the holidays, and Sony still won.

Over the long term and worldwide, this really isn't going to be close, is it?

This makes no sense. Why would you worry, you own both systems? Buy the muliplats on PS4 and keep your Xbox for it's exclusives if you like that sort of thing.

As for who "deserved" to win or what's fair, the market has spoken.

Still no TF numbers? I want to know if my guess is right. :(

Freeman

Banned
Vita NA sales are plain sad. Sony messed up with exclusives for the NA market, PSP had RaD games and GTA.

Had Black Ops: Declassified being any good maybe the Vita could be in a much better situation.

I'm not sure what Microsoft can do in the short term.

I really don't believe a kinectless system will be out this side of the new year(money and PR reasons), so they can't possibly undercut the PS4, because price matching won't help,they need to be cheaper and at this point in the lifecycle are they really going to take even more losses by pricing it under the PS4 with kinect?

After the money they've spunked away on NFL deals, EA deals, Titanfall bundling etc, could they really be in a position to justify making a huge loss per unit? i'm not so sure.

They need to blow everyone away at EA with exclusives is the only thing i think they can do, and in response they're going to get hit with PS4 exclusive marketing for Watchdogs,Destiny,Diablo 3, then PS4 exclusives in MLB, TLOU and Driveclub(maybe) and Sonys E3 all before Sunset overdrive and H2A.

Everythings just going Sony's way, if its by design whoever the fuck put the plan together needs one big ass bonus.

Looks like despite MS giving only shipped numbers the gap is increasing at accelerated pace.

I don't see any realistic option for Microsoft to improve situation right now and by realistic I mean not throwing few bilions of dollars to sell xbone for 300$ with kinect and taking nearly $200 hit on each unit sold like Sony did with ps3.
Well, as for now, it's possible MS only sold 3.5-4M consoles through (half of PS4). But you have to keep in mind the gap is widening mainly because the XOne has yet to launch in many EU countries.

failgubbe

M°°nblade;108619578 said:
Well, as for now, it's possible MS only sold 3.5-4M consoles through (half of PS4). But you have to keep in mind the gap is widening mainly because the XOne has yet to launch in many EU countries.

I would think it's probably 4.2-4.5M sold

DieH@rd

Banned
This NPD is really stunning in a month where XBOne released the most (over?) hyped game in recent memory, had it packed in for free and also had a de facto $50 price drop. If you planned to buy Titanfall anyway, the XBOne was effectively cheaper than PS4 in March.

This is in MS's strongest territory and is likely to be their strongest month until at least the holidays, and Sony still won.

Over the long term and worldwide, this really isn't going to be close, is it?

No, Sony will remain in the significant lead for the foreseeable future, most likely during entire generation. They will surely be ready to react with their own pricedrops whenever they feel that moves from MS are starting to pressure their sales.

But first, Sony needs to stabilize production and presence in stores. We still did not get a single month where purchasing demand was met worldwide.

Not sure that I understand what your concern is. Those current games you enjoy on XBO aren't going anywhere. Microsoft will undoubtedly keep supporting the platform with solid exclusives, either first or third party.

As for the issue of multiplatform third party games being "bad ports" due to sales (as you say), well, it shouldn't be a problem, right? You also have a PS4, which means you can enjoy the better version of any game, regardless of which console it comes out for. Unless you have a preference not for the games but for the console itself. Which to be honest the rest of your post makes it clear, what with the "Microsoft deserved better sales" paragraph.

Top Bottom