• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Exile20

Wow, Vita in USA is selling monthly half the amount of Japan Vita weekly sales
Holy shit. This puts thing into perspective. USA is 313 million people and Japan is 127 yet Japan sold more than double in a week what USA sold in a month. Wow. Lol. Damnnnnnnnn below 10k next month? Thus thing is just dead.

M°°nblade;108619578 said:
Well, as for now, it's possible MS only sold 3.5-4M consoles through (half of PS4). But you have to keep in mind the gap is widening mainly because the XOne has yet to launch in many EU countries.

The gap is widening because the PS4 sells more in all markets.

I think the Metal Gear numbers on 360/PS3 should finally put to bed these arguments about how huge Titanfall was going to be on the 360. The XB1 version is easily the best selling version of that game.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Holy shit. This puts thing into perspective. USA is 313 million people and Japan is 127 yet Japan sold more than double in a week what USA sold in a month. Wow. Lol. Damnnnnnnnn below 10k next month? Thus thing is just dead.

Probably. You can't even find the thing on the shelves at retail stores. Most stores have the same amount of PS4 and Vitas in stock at all times where I live. Obviously for completely different reasons.

Not surprised its surviving in Japan either. Theres plenty of support over there.

TomShoe

Banned

It's not quite dead, American just have no taste in good games.

They'll build up a thick skin sooner or later. I didn't even bat an eyelid at 10k. Just shrug and move on. Indies aren't going to stop developing for it, neither are Japanese devs. It's a shame that the US market clearly doesn't want the Vita, but ultimately it's of no consequence.

Vita bro fist

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Stock is moving briskly enough in the US though, and has been reasonable in the UK particularly post-drop. I imagine most of the 1.1M channel refill is to those two territories and the channel may still be comparatively well full in continental Europe.

Pre- price cut it likely wasn't selling all that great considering it's still in the 40's for it's highest sku in Amazon ranking for 2014. The only reason it'd be close to the PS4 before that if it was, was because the PS4 was ridiculously supply constrained.

There was a reason why the price was cut so significantly, and that's clearly because stock was not moving. That leaves basically NA as far as reasonably selling.

I think the Metal Gear numbers on 360/PS3 should finally put to bed these arguments about how huge Titanfall was going to be on the 360. The XB1 version is easily the best selling version of that game.

Phantom Pain current gen only confirmed.

If Titanfall have legs, it has to be on Xbox One.

M°°nblade;108619578 said:
Well, as for now, it's possible MS only sold 3.5-4M consoles through (half of PS4). But you have to keep in mind the gap is widening mainly because the XOne has yet to launch in many EU countries.

Pretty sure thay have sold more than 4M, retailers do not like holding stock it is an expense from a business perspective would be surprised if stock was more than 500k. Remember MS has not started selling in as territories, sales will pick up once that happens - channel stock may increase as a result though but should still be a small part of overall sales.

The gap is widening because the PS4 sells more in all markets.
Hence why I said 'mainly'. :p

In the US, the PS4 seems to be selling 10-20% more according to NPD. Globally, the gap is likely much bigger (around 30-45%).
But as Shinro said, since the XBone is already provided in 85% of the EU market, that market is likely the biggest contributor to the gap.

Prelude.

To put things into perspective you have to first realize that SCEA dropped the Vita many months ago, they completely stopped advertizing it.

Now, they just changed CEO and the Vita 2000 is releasing soon so things will probably get better shortly but those numbers are not simple lack of interest in the platform but complete lack of awareness.

Mackins

GT brings up a good point.

Sony touted 1 million preorders for second son, then turn around and declare 1 million sold in 9 days?

kind of weird.

Was it not 1 million pre-orders worldwide and the 1 million sales are from the US? It does appear a little strange if that's not the case. But people do cancel pre-orders.

pixlexic

Banned
Was it not 1 million pre-orders worldwide and the 1 million sales are from the US? It does appear a little strange if that's not the case. But people do cancel pre-orders.

It was pointed out that sony only said HIGH preorder while an "insider" specifically said 1 million.

KORNdoggy

Woudn't retail boost stock though in preperation for the release of the reported "savior of xbone" (titanfall) i can definately see them doing that after all the hype, and praise, and comments of it being the xbones version of gears of war in regards to mass market appeal etc. they could have expected a flood of sales and increased stock to capitalise on it. It just didn't quite work out and now they're left with stock. I think a million in the channel seems about right.

Last gen software really is dead guess there are a lot of people like me .
Still waiting to get my PS4 and because of that i have not bought a game since TLOU be it DD or disc base.

Faustek

Who wants to play games on a small screen when they have a big azz full HD TV screen to use instead.

I'm wondering, in all the 720 vs 1080 discussions I've seen I doubt that many people have a "big azz full HD TV".
But I get it, nice TV, nice sound system and whatnot are preferable for many.

pixlexic

Banned

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I posted this in the "Xbox ships 5 Million Units" thread:
Heshinsi said:
I keep reading about how Microsoft shipping 5 million consoles in 5 months indicates a healthy amount of sell in for Microsoft. But is it really? We know they shipped 3.9M WW by the end of 2013. That means that 78% of all Xbox One consoles shipped, hit retail within one month and a week of launch. The other 22% are spread out over the course of 3 and a half months. To put that in perspective, the amount of PS4 consoles sold in the same (PS4 launched in PAL markets 2 weeks after it's NA launch, and a week after the X1 launch) amount of time in 2013, is 57% of the cumulative total. Shipped/Sold numbers of Xbox One are massively front loaded.

Counting from just the beginning of 2014 to the date of each companies latest sales/shipped announcements; So April 6th for Sony, and April 17th for Microsoft (to be generous, I won't even count the two weeks of April). We have the PS4 averaging about a 1M SOLD to customers per month globally, and the Xbox One is averaging 366K SHIPPED to retail per month.

Does anyone know what the Xbox 360 shipped/sold numbers globally were for Jan/Feb/March of 2006? The Xbox 360 was still supply constrained in those early months, but I really would like to know how the numbers match in that time frame.

Does it make sense to anyone, and does anyone have the Xbox 360 numbers for the first quarter of 2006?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To put things into perspective you have to first realize that SCEA dropped the Vita many months ago, they completely stopped advertizing it.

Now, they just changed CEO and the Vita 2000 is releasing soon so things will probably get better shortly but those numbers are not simple lack of interest in the platform but complete lack of awareness.

Let's be fair--when SCEA was advertising this thing, Americans still really didn't show an interest. Lack of interest in the games, the ridiculous memory card prices, and the continued decline of the portable market is why this thing is tanking, NOT lack of awareness.

It's a niche product with an abundance of niche games. That's why it is selling niche numbers.

Asd202

Are you really using FFXIII to say that FF is dead? This gen gave us a crap mainline entry and two sequels no one wanted. It's hardly suprising that sales took a nose dive. Type-0 is the only game fans have wanted since it was released in Japan. Give us that as well as FFXV and FF is far from dead

I'm not saying it's dead it's just not relevant as it was at the beginning of last gen. Type-0 would do nothing for Vita other than slight bump in one month. I expect XV to sell well but lower than XIII.

Still feel like there is an untapped market there, but with the mainline versions of both consoles still being $250 you aren't hitting that. The current market segment has moved on to an extent.

Give me a $150 PS3 or an $130 360 base model and let me see how things go.

Last gen is dead, there is no market. The lack of BC and premium space in people entertainment cabinets has seen to that.

And they were come unto a time called March NPD, that is to say, The time of a final judgement, he gave gamers a shooter to play, mixed with mechs: and when they had tasted it, they would not buy. And when they had crucified him, Sony, Amazon and Valve parted his IP among them, casting lots; and they sat and watched him there. And they set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS XBOX® ONE™ THE ALL-IN-ONE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM. Then are there crucified with him two robbers, EA on the right hand and Zynga on the left. And they that passed by railed on him, waggling their arms in front of his camera, and saying, Thou that createth DirectX, save thyself: if thou are the Son of Microsoft, buy your way down from the cross. He bought exclusive games; his own success he cannot buy. He is the King of the Living Room, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe on him.

Now from the sixth hour there was silence from the XBOX division. And about the ninth hour The One cried with a loud voice, saying USA, USA why hast thou forsaken me? And the One cried again with a loud voice, and yielded up his spirit. And behold, the Gaming Age Forums were rent in two from the top top the bottom; and the ban hammer did fall and many avatars of the followers that had believed in him were forcibly exchanged.
WEmug8n.gif

I'm not saying it's dead it's just not relevant as it was at the beginning of last gen. Type-0 would do nothing for Vita other than slight bump in one month. I expect XV to sell well but lower than XIII.

I agree that it's not the force it once was but I also think that fans are waiting for SE to bring some of that magic back with FFXV. I guess time will tell but if FFXV is as good as we all hope it is then I would assume it could easily surpass FFXIII sales.

PS4 sales essentially break down as at April 6th:
7M WW
2.9M USA (41%)
0.5M Japan (7%)

So just over 50% of the system's sales are in other territories or 3.6M.
It was 2.2M at the end of 2013. So that's an additional 1.4M

Conversely, 2013 sales of the XB1 had US sales at 61% of 3M WW sales. Leaving 1.2M everywhere else.
If that ratio has held through March, then sales outside of the US would amount to 1.7M. An increase of only 0.5M.

So setting aside Japan, that's where the gap is really growing.
I posted this in the "Xbox ships 5 Million Units" thread:

Does it make sense to anyone, and does anyone have the Xbox 360 numbers for the first quarter of 2006?
1.7M shipped.

I don't see how it doesn't make sense. There's some need for a refresh of supply, but the shipment isn't large suggesting there's still quite a lot in the channel.

It's nowhere near the situation for instance of the Wii U where the quarter after launch only 390K units were shipped.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
PS4 sales essentially break down as at April 6th:
7M WW
2.9M USA (41%)
0.5M Japan (7%)

So just over 50% of the system's sales are in other territories or 3.6M.
It was 2.2M at the end of 2013. So that's an additional 1.4M

Conversely, 2013 sales of the XB1 had US sales at 61% of 3M WW sales. Leaving 1.2M everywhere else.
If that ratio has held through March, then sales outside of the US would amount to 1.7M. An increase of only 0.5M.

So setting aside Japan, that's where the gap is really growing.
1.7M shipped.

I don't see how it doesn't make sense. There's some need for a refresh of supply, but the shipment isn't large suggesting there's still quite a lot in the channel.

It's nowhere near the situation for instance of the Wii U where the quarter after launch only 390K units were shipped.

No I meant, is what I'm writing making sense lol

So they shipped 1.7M Xbox 360 consoles in the first 3 months of 2006?

Thanks you two. That's pretty interesting.

Kimppis

Admittedly, I'm looking this from a European perspective, but I'm not surprised at all that the PS4 sold more than the XBO. People very seriously expecting the opposite? Sure, there was Titanfall and it's the US, so what do I know? Nothing.

This is probably the first time I'm reading these NPD threads: WTF is wrong with the Vita? It's selling that badly? Wii U is selling 7x better? Just got mine a few days ago and I'm loving it. I've been reading the Media Create threads, so I somehow expected that it was selling around as much as the Wii U. How is the Vita doing in Europe? Makes me sad in any case.

America really loves Nintendo home consoles, huh? The NES happened and the rest is history. Every single time: N64, Gamecube (2/3 of their sales were from NA, or something like that), even the OG Wii... I'm not saying that the Wii U sales aren't horrible, but it's probably doing better than in anywhere else?

FireCloud

This is my first post in this thread.

Congrats to Sony on the strong NPD showing. I was thinking XB1 had everything going for it last month (except for the known issues with performance disparity). PS4 pulling out a #1 finish against Microsoft's biggest announced title has to have Redmond concerned. I expect Microsoft's E3 will be very interesting this year.

Vita has a new hardware
revision coming out. 10k is most likely a result of the the OLED units drying up before launch.

Was thinking the same myself.

To XB1 owners being concerned with sales, PS Vita owners can lend a sympathetic ear. Vita sales, or the lack thereof, has not lessened our enjoyment of the system (IMHO).

The system is still being supported and my Vita backlog is still growing. Enjoy your games. If there is a multiplat that is better on PS4 and you own one, get it there. Otherwise, enjoy it on your XB1. With all of the talk about how bad the PS3 version of Bayonetta was, I still had a great time playing it.

That said, as a PS4 owner, I can't help but be excited for this generation. Now bring on The Last Guardian Sony! I am ready...

FDC1

I wonder why the PSV isn't getting any sort of bounce from great PS4 sales?

It got one in Europe (well, a small one, but still a bounce). America sales are spectacularly low. 2k a week (!!), I don't have numbers, but I would not be surprised to learn than it sells more than that this days in UK or France with the Football Manager or FFX/X-2 bundles.

You and i have a different definition of great. Homefront sold a million so I don't see your point. In fact, Ea hasn't even announced 1 million sold. Is it a great debut? Nope. It's average at best not by amount of sales but because of the initial investment and the giant expectations. The difference between this game and Cod 4 is the lack of word of mouth advertising. Titanfall's price has been slashed at least once since it's release. I don't know about you but big games don't get their price slashed within a month from release. I don't know any retailer that sold gta V at a reduced price in the first 3 months.

You are ignoring the relatively small install base of the Xbone, in addition to the fact that the NPD numbers do not capture digital sales, aka pretty much the PC landscape in the US.

Micerider

M°°nblade;108620388 said:
You have a point there.
I only know that Belgium and the Netherlands are still waiting for the XOne to release in september...
It's possible to import one from Germany but that's more for the hardcore. Currently, distribution and marketing in Europe is a big mess.

If things continue the way they do, we might be looking at a 2:1 ratio between PS3 and XBone sales.

Where are you shopping in Belgium? XBOX One is in stock at pretty much every Mediamarkt, Fnac or specialized game stores I go to. No import premium either, just regular price. It's not officially released but the availability is such that it would not change much (same for Swiss and Luxembourg, haven't been in the netherlands to check).

Top Bottom