• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Are there any numbers for GTA Chinatown wars? Can we finally call it a bomb.

No. It sold just as much in its second month as its first month.

Andrex said:
Hoping to see the Conduit and Ghostbusters on the list next month. :)

I wouldn't count on seeing The Conduit, but Tiger Woods and Ghostbusters should do very well.

--------

On another note, poor Boom Blox :(

Drinky Crow said:
what'd sacred 2 wind up selling on consoles

Probably about 3 copies.

EDIT: Beaten

ghst

thanks for the laugh
laserbeam said:
Lets not make stupid comments on sales in a sales thread

just wait until gran turismo, then we'll be seeing some prreetty big changes around here.

Jon

Honestly I am shocked Punch Out sold that well. A seemingly shallow game, with low replay value, for full price...any other game would have sold less than 100K. I am glad consumers picked it up because it turns out that it is a deeper game than initially expected and it is pretty damn fun.

laserbeam

Banned
dammitmattt said:

I wouldn't count on seeing The Conduit, but Tiger Woods and Ghostbusters should do very well.

--------

Boom Blox didnt do so hot initially either but the legs made up for it. I could see it being the same though the box art for Party is horrible :/

laserbeam said:
Microsoft has basically bought mindshare for its key franchises.They have the money to waste and I cannot even begin to imagine how much they have spent to make Halo the thing it is.

You're right when it comes to Halo 2 and 3.

But Halo 1 didn't get the same treatment. At least not down here. Halo 1 became a phenomenon in many countries of it's own bat.

I still feel word of mouth is the best advertising money can't buy. I don't know about America, but Halo 1 had pretty much zero marketing in Australia, and yet became a SMASH thanks to word of mouth.

So much so it created the Xbox brand and caused it to catch up to the PS2 down here in a scary way.

800K consoles in 3 years compared to around 2 million PS2s at the time considering the year and a half head start Sony had, it was amazing.

At one stage the Xbox was outselling the PS2 on a month by month basis, so Sony rang random EB Stores in Melbourne doing fake customer calls, and almost every EB employee was recommending the Xbox over the PS2 and Sony threatened to pull the PS2 from EB Stores Australia wide :lol

Concept17

Not saying its gonna have a huge turn around or anything, but comparing PS3 sales to GC is fair at the same time-span, but I'm fairly certain the GC never costed 599...or 399. PS3 has primarily been hurt by its high price. But its also managed to sell ~22m at 400+ $.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dammitmattt said:

If Punch-Out can make the list at 157k, then the Conduit can because I suspect it'll do similarly. Who knows though, maybe the top ten will be more crammed next month and it'll miss the cut.

dammitmattt said:

Boom Blox will probably do very well over this year year. The first one was considered bomba and it still got a sequel and did very well.

Would Wii's core titles sell any worse if it was built as a Gamecube 2.0? Obviously the install base would be much lower, but its core software titles seem on par with last generations

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
dammitmattt said:

I dunno. It looks like a game only needs to sell about 100k to make it in the top 10, and I think The Conduit has a shot at that.

Andrex said:
If Punch-Out can make the list at 157k, then the Conduit can because I suspect it'll do similarly. Who knows though, maybe the top ten will be more crammed next month and it'll miss the cut.

New IP targeted at core gamers vs. a remake of a well-known IP that appeals to everyone

It's a much different situation

Boom Blox will probably do very well over this year year. The first one was considered bomba and it still got a sequel and did very well.

EA has barely promoted this one. I predict that it does much worse.

botticus

Andrex said:
We'll see what sort of marketing effort it gets.

vesp

Whoa at UFC (havent played it yet).

Big fat sadface at Infamous. It definitely deserves much better and I dont expect legs beyond maybe another 150-200k next month.

Punchout was also a pretty poor showing, but I expect it to have much better legs than most games.

sciplore

Totally forgot about this, been a while since I had npd sneak up on me. Of course my predictions were all over the place so I did terrible on my predictions.

Slow thread tonight might cruise in whenever creamsugar post numbers or the top 20 get posted.

Halvie

Banned
Anyone seen top 20 numbers for PS3 or 360? Wondering if the SFIV sale might have made it pop up again this month...blows my mind that UFC did that much better then SF in its first month....

Thought inFamous was going to do a good deal better than 175k. Most of my local stores were out or only had a copy or two left in stock(checked before it was June). Guess they didn't order that many.

Shurs

botticus said:

One is a Nintendo published property with nostalgia in its corner, one is a new IP published by Sega that doesn't feature Sonic. Let's keep it real.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Not next month. It will be a lot bigger than May.
Isn't summer the slow period?

Anyways, Conduit comes out the 26th, but I still see it doing well. I could maybe crack the bottom of the top 10.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
botticus said:

IGN Wii GAME OF E3 2007

IGN BEST GRAPHIC TECHNOLOGY

IGN EDITOR'S CHOICE

GAMESPOT "OK for a Wii game I guess" AWARD

laserbeam

Banned
AniHawk said:
The Conduit aint doin' shit.
sy0z7m.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
AniHawk said:
I think Uncharted bombed harder than that.

Oh! Or Banjo-Kazooie. It fell in on itself like a dying star. It may have even killed Rare.
Banjo wasn't a bomb, It was brought out back and shot even before it released.

Andrex said:
IGN Wii GAME OF E3 2007

IGN BEST GRAPHIC TECHNOLOGY

IGN EDITOR'S CHOICE

GAMESPOT "OK for a Wii game I guess" AWARD

You know what marketing is, right? It's not random online awards. I guess you were joking? :)

ggnoobIGN said:
Isn't summer the slow period?

Anyways, Conduit comes out the 26th, but I still see it doing well. I could maybe crack the bottom of the top 10.

Not as slow as late spring because the sports games start coming out. Prototype will be big across two platforms, Tiger will be big across 2-3 platforms, Ghostbusters will be big, and you'll see some holdover from titles in this month's top ten.

devilhawk

Concept17 said:
Not saying its gonna have a huge turn around or anything, but comparing PS3 sales to GC is fair at the same time-span, but I'm fairly certain the GC never costed 599...or 399. PS3 has primarily been hurt by its high price. But its also managed to sell ~22m at 400+ $.
Interesting. Thank you for this novel insight.

devilhawk

Opiate said:
I think it's very unlikely that The Conduit will do well.
I hope it does. In this case lets be realistic. It isn't going to light up the sales charts. It might slowly accumulate some decent sales as the year goes on, though, but that may be optimistic.

Revelations said:
360 will be going into its 4th year in November 2009. It needs to be at $150 or $175 at that time.

It will have completed its fourth year (when Xbox completed its fourth year, 360 launched) and will be starting its fifth year.

Xbox was actually 1.5 years old when it dropped to $179, and 2.5 years old when it dropped to $149. That's what you need to do when you get your ass kicked. Of course, that's also a big part of why Xbox was killed after it completed its fourth year; it was a money pit.

boiled goose

good with gravy
drakesfortune said:
I wish the wii fit, ea active, and wii play weren't included in the top 10. It's not that I'm dissing them or anything, but 2 aren't really games, and 1 is a controller. It's not very instructive to me as a gamer. I'm not dissing them either, I'm probably buying a wii and ea active for the wife and I, but I'm buying it as an exercise tool, not a game.

havent played sports active yet,

but wii fit is very clearly a game...

Evlar

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Did it really? Good! I was one of those lucky purchasers. It's a polished, fun game and welcome addition for fleshing out the DS library.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Opiate said:
I think it's very unlikely that The Conduit will do well.
I hope the match making is good, because I was playing against some skilled player at E3 (I think it was one of the devs) and it was like walking into a rape room.

Top Bottom