• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
JoJo13 said:
WORLD AT WAR is CALL OF DUTY -- it has brand name recognition.

No one knows wtf the conduit is.

from Sega's forum for The Conduit:

conduitwaw1.jpg

conduitwaw2.jpg

conduitwaw3.jpg

conduitwaw4.jpg

conduitwaw6.jpg

they know. oh, they know.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I don't see why The Conduit can't reach a 500k LTD, it may not have brand recognition but we are talking LTD sales. I think the first month might be lower than most are expecting though, it'll be very lucky to be at 150k.

pakkit

Banned
jakncoke said:
Agreed, It's not like UFC is obscure and it's popularity grows and grows. Lets also not forget that it's quite some time since a new UFC game was released, UFC: Sudden Impact in 2004 being the last so starved people were out there waiting for a fix.
Let's also not forget that Xbox gamers in particular were pretty starved in comparison to the last couple of years. Still, those numbers are insane.

bartris

Neo Member
jj984jj said:
I don't see why The Conduit can't reach a 500k LTD, it may not have brand recognition but we are talking LTD sales. I think the first month might be lower than most are expecting though, it'll be very lucky to be at 150k.

I imagine it will pull similar numbers to PunchOut first month, and probably 750-1000k lifetime in the US.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Firestorm said:
People on the Sega forum know what The Conduit is. More as it develops.

not the point. people who played WaW — which has sold over half a million on the Wii —know what The Conduit is, are excited about it, and plan on playing it online just as full-force as they did with WaW.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wonder what pre-orders for The Conduit are like at the moment, especially with all those LE/CE/Special editions going on around the globe.

pulga

Banned
Danthrax said:
not the point. people who played WaW — which has sold over half a million on the Wii —know what The Conduit is, are excited about it, and plan on playing it online just as full-force as they did with WaW.

50 people, apparently, does not a force make.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
pulga said:
50 people, apparently, does not a force make.

ever heard of random sampling? clearly, the entire base of WaW players interested in Conduit is not posting on Sega's forums. nor am I going to spend all night finding every post on those forums referencing "I'm a WaW player" and "I want Conduit" — I just found some examples and threw them on Photobucket.

but go ahead, make snide comments all you like. it'll make the June NPDs more fun.

THQ's stock has gone up very nicely from it's lows in march 2.23.. it's up almost 300%.. to 8.60..

I think people will start pulling profit soon from it's quick gains.. if it dips back down to 5-6 ish i think i'll drop some money.. i think they'll be profitable with having the UFC License.. that's a big one for em..

DogWelder

Danthrax said:
ever heard of random sampling? clearly, the entire base of WaW players interested in Conduit is not posting on Sega's forums. nor am I going to spend all night finding every post on those forums referencing "I'm a WaW player" and "I want Conduit" — I just found some examples and threw them on Photobucket.

but go ahead, make snide comments all you like. it'll make the June NPDs more fun.
They are posting on the Sega boards; in what way is that a random sample? That is the very opposite of random.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zzoram said:
I never thought Punch Out would sell well. It's just not what the mainstream is drawn to from an artistic stand point. That, plus people would assume it's like Wii Sports Boxing, and not want to buy a whole game of just that.
As for infamous, no well reviewed PS3 exclusive has ever opened big except MGS4. They all have ok legs, moreso in Europe, where they tend to get bundled with consoles, and they all end up doing ok by the end, just not spectacular.

So you are equating casuals with retards?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Rez said:
:lol what does it say under GT5?
Forgot about that (because I had added wands under Obama, and who knows when they're going to come out) ;)

Dre

shykyoichi said:
Thank you for your meaningful contribution.
Oh come on, don't act like a butthurt Ntard.

The HD twins outselling the Wii is truly noteworthy, it doesn't happen all that often, so his contribution wasn't less meaningful than many other replies in this thread.

Cygnus X-1

ICallItFutile said:
LTD:

PS2 - 44,147,818
DS - 30,876,658
PSP - 15,097,336
360 - 15,240,286
PS3 - 7,749,396
Wii - 20,203,081

YTD:

PS2 - 633,200
DS - 3,335,300
PSP - 755,700
360 - 1,380,000
PS3 - 955,200
Wii - 2,662,700

YOY:

PS2 -11%
DS +40%
PSP -45%
360 -6%
PS3 -37%
Wii -57
%

Th entire industry is somehow critical. The X360 is more or less stable and the DS is the only console that keep the industry out of a complete collapse.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Is there any PS3 "wait for..." game scheduled for release before GT5?
I don't want to wait until 2010 before ruling that out, something else in between would be nice.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a PS3 owner, it's currently my most played platform and I have a sense of humour. No trolling/consolewarzbullshit intended, I'm updating the pic just to make fun of crazy fanboys.

Jocchan said:
I don't want to wait until 2010 before ruling that out, something else in between would be nice.

I think the next "wait for" game is Uncharted 2. And I don't know that GT5 will release before God of War 3.

deepbrown

jstevenson said:
Infamous was only out for like 6 days. I'm sure the buzz has been keeping sales up... I keep hearing more people on boards outside the industry talking about it and picking it up
Is it true that Infamous had the best selling US launch for a new IP PS3 exclusive?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jocchan said:

DISCLAIMER: I'm a PS3 owner, it's currently my most played platform and I have a sense of humour. No trolling/consolewarzbullshit intended, I'm updating the pic just to make fun of crazy fanboys.

Uncharted 2 comes out this fall.

[edit] damnit, beaten by less than a minute.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
OldJadedGamer said:
I think the next "wait for" game is Uncharted 2. And I don't know that GT5 will release before God of War 3.
AFAIK Gran Turismo 5 is scheduled for 2010, but there's no actual release date known.
We'd better find the translator guy and ask him :/

EDIT: Thanks guys, updating now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AND God of War 3 is likely going to beat GT5 to release

Cygnus X-1

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Good marketing isn't just about ad penetration.
You also have to make people want to buy what you're selling.

I don't think that the performances of Infamous and Punch out are strictly related to the amout of commecials that have been made. The entire industry is down. A LOT DOWN. Why nobody speak about the abysmal sales of the PSP? Simply people are a lot less willingly to spend on videogames and obviously every system is suffering this, games comprised.

The X360 is the more stable console, because its audience is composed mainly by fans, who consider videogaming a priority. Surely, the Wii is the one who is suffering more the crack, for the opposite reason, even if its sales remains way over the other concurrents.

The DSi revelaled to be a paying decision, since it compensated effectively the predictable lowering of the DS Lite. Smart move even considering that it also compensate the lower sales of the Wii.

deepbrown

Danthrax said:
well GoW3 is scheduled for March 2010, right? there's no way GT5 is coming out before then :lol
Well Yamauchi says they can release it whenever they want :) I think they want to release it in

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
PSP's been outclassed by pretty much everything surrounding it. The fact it sells more than 20k a month is pretty remarkable.

Boy, exactly like the growth curve has an asymptotic limit, the decline curve tends to not be linear as well! In other words, if you expected a clear drop of the PSP to 70-90k, you expected the impossible. Remember that it is still a 45% decline YoY. You expected really something even worse?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Perfect. I'm making a list of upcoming saviors :)

Updated pic:
t5153r.png

No more edits coming, after Uncharted 2 comes out we'll start with the second chalkboard
If I'm not too busy playing it
:lol

Motorstorm did 199k in its first NPD month (Mar 2007) although it did track for a lot longer and it was a 5 week month. I'm gonna guess that "best selling new IP" is based on something along the lines of "best opening 6 days" or something.

Can't find Resistance figures, google is throwing up random crap.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jocchan said:

Updated pic:
t5153r.png

No more edits coming, after Uncharted 2 comes out we'll start with the second chalkboard

:lol nicely done.

yeah I'd say Uncharted 2 is next, followed by God of War 3, then The Last Guardian or Gran Turismo 5, whichever comes first.

eventually throw in Heavy Rain, if it ever comes out. =P

szaromir

Banned
Jocchan said:

Updated pic:
t5153r.png

Meh. It's only funny when the board consists of the games that Sony GAF is hyping as future system sellers, adding every AAA game doesn't make sense.

Kogepan

Danthrax said:
:lol nicely done.

yeah I'd say Uncharted 2 is next, followed by God of War 3, then The Last Guardian or Gran Turismo 5, whichever comes first.

eventually throw in Heavy Rain, if it ever comes out. =P

doesn't matter what they have if they keep a 399 price point.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
szaromir said:
Meh. It's only funny when the board consists of the games that Sony GAF is hyping as future system sellers, adding every AAA game doesn't make sense.

yeah. has there even been one sony loon hyping up Uncharted 2 as the next big thing?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jocchan said:

Updated pic:
t5153r.png

Darunia said:
yeah. has there even been one sony loon hyping up Uncharted 2 as the next big thing?

szaromir

Banned
I don't think anyone is hyping Uncharted 2 to be the game to change PS3's sales trend. I think the price cut is the current "wait for..." rather than any game.

Top Bottom