• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

It seems like the video game fever of last year is gone again :eek: Has the market reached another saturation point? I think the PS3 numbers are pretty bad as well.

soldat7

EazyB said:
I don't think we'll be seeing many games released outside of the holiday sales window after this year. Can't blame them either.

I think many of those titles would have been creamed around the holidays as well.

Stink

lordoftherink said:
No Split/Second, Blur, or ModNation Racers. Arcade racers ;_;
and yet, as a huge fan of arcade racers, I have yet to see a reason to put any monies into any of these titles, despite trying all demos. They lack a compelling USP.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Where would Sony go if they were going to make a PSP2?

Superior h/w? Tried it.
Dual screen, touch, 3d? Done.

I say go with the PSPhone.

Beth Cyra

BoilersFan23 said:
Honestly, I think a lot has to do with ending production on the older PS3 model and starting production on a newer one probably screwed things up. Sony probably estimated X amount of consoles were needed, but ended up needing more than expected (probably based on the amount of parts ordered). And since their manufacturing was moving over to the updated PS3 model, it was going to take some time to fully get them out in the market. I just think all the timing was bad on Sony's part. Before the PS3 slim came out, it was already manufactured for quite a while.

That would be very shocking, Sony has gone through this situation with every single platform, multiple times with PSP before doing it with PS3. I have a hard time seeing a company who has updated that many times being this out of line with it's own projections.

Akia

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah. I expect the same with Raven and Singularity. But everyone was saying that Bizarre Creations shouldn't have sold their soul to Activision.

But Raven has a back-up plan. All they have to do is say, "We'll make a Call of Duty," and Kotick will forget Singularity just bombed!

Yeah, Bizzare will do Bond games and Raven will do Call of Duty games in order to avoid the wraith of Kotick. They won't survive unscathed though, I mean Kotick canned Neversoft and they were just following orders by making a bunch of Guitar Hero games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just out of curiosity, why would it be a good idea for Sony to launch a new hand held when the current one is failing? Could they really expect it to do any better than the current PSP?

Beth Cyra

reKon said:
there's a demo and the final game is way better than the demo. just saying..

Maybe there is, and my idea on it can be wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first. But after being burnt on LBP so damn bad I ain't letting that happen again. That said I may actually give the demo a try later on.

soldat7

corkscrewblow said:
So glad RDR destroyed SMG2. Game really deserves all the sales.

I love both games and don't see the logic in being excited by either one beating the other. Both games deserve great sales.

Snuggler said:
Just out of curiosity, why would it be a good idea for Sony to launch a new hand held when the current one is failing? Could they really expect it to do any better than the current PSP?

Only if they tried to take the DS market...
So, no, not really.
But I doubt they'll give up just yet.

Boney

Banned
Any chance to see MHTri reach the top 20 with so many games that didn't chart?
20th spot would be alright.

Snuggler said:
Just out of curiosity, why would it be a good idea for Sony to launch a new hand held when the current one is failing?

What would the alternative be, exactly? Wait until the PSP magically starts doing good?

Boney

Banned
Snuggler said:
Think PS3 Slim, only much more pronounced. It could bite them in the ass badl though.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Any chance to see MHTri reach the top 20 with so many games that didn't chart?
20th spot would be alright.

Hasn't Monster Hunter 3 already done about as well if not a little better then 1 and 2? Honestly I think it doing much more then it already has is going into fantasy land. The series just isn't going to break out in America, at least not how it is right now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
charlequin said:
What would the alternative be, exactly? Wait until the PSP magically starts doing good?
Use the money on marketing instead of R&D for another portable and hope for 3DS ports.

Barrett2

Snuggler said:

PSP hardware has sold millions of units worldwide and they make money on each one sold.

I wonder if they have the PSP2 built and ready to roll, but they cant get any / enough developers to commit to make games for it?

Plus, it's not like Sony is not opposed to releasing gizmos that nobody buys. Christ, didn't they just release a $300 web surfing alarm clock? Surely if they can get that out the door, they will get a PSP2 shipped.

duk said:
Can't wait to see June #s for 360, see if slim really helped or not.

From what we've heard the Slim was supply constrained so I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference, but the $50 price cut on existing models and the Walmart $100 arcade with a $50 gift card probably will.

Trurl

Banned
Perhaps Blur would have done better if its commercial didn't suck so much. Maybe if they had hired that Marcus kid instead of making fun of Mario Kart.

Mrbob said:
No Lost Planet 2 in the top 10 either. Skate 3 barely makes it on one platform, bye bye franchise?

3 games in 32 months is definitely a way to kill a franchise that doesn't need annualized

Eteric Rice

TruePrime said:
Hasn't Monster Hunter 3 already done about as well if not a little better then 1 and 2? Honestly I think it doing much more then it already has is going into fantasy land. The series just isn't going to break out in America, at least not how it is right now.

It potentially could if they...

1. Released a version on the 3DS during the launch year to catch the hype that's usually around in that time period.

2. Make the online easy to get into. The Wii version is just a pain all around.

3. Advertise it with ads that show off the gameplay, and show four kids playing together taking down beasties.

4. For God's sake make item management and what not easier.

The key would be advertising that actually SHOWS four kids/teens playing and cooperating to take down a beastie.

lawblob said:
PSP hardware has sold millions of units worldwide and they make money on each one sold.

I wonder if they have the PSP2 built and ready to roll, but they cant get any / enough developers to commit to make games for it?

Certainly a possibility.
We've already seen a couple of PSP games jump ship to the 3DS (RE and SR).

Beth Cyra

Eteric Rice said:
It potentially could if they...

1. Released a version on the 3DS during the launch year to catch the hype that's usually around in that time period.

2. Make the online easy to get into. The Wii version is just a pain all around.

3. Advertise it with ads that show off the gameplay, and show four kids playing together taking down beasties.

4. For God's sake make item management and what not easier.

The key would be advertising that actually SHOWS four kids/teens playing and cooperating to take down a beastie.

Hey I am more then happy to be proven wrong, I like to see games do well. But I think it is much more likely to see Monster Hunter 3rd P go to 3DS then Monster Hunter Tri really.

Dear Alan Wake if you bombed world wide it's ok, i know you were meant for big tv comfy couches but like a good battered wife I will welcome you back to PC. Where we will be subjected to your out landish system requirements and DRM, it's ok we are used to it.

spwolf

Vizion28 said:
Am I the only who had a hunch Sony was going to announce a PSP 2 but opted out - had a change of plans - once they found about the 3DS?

Yes... because Sony and other people in business knew about 3DS... you think all those developers keep whisper quiet about it? Things are not that secretive inside industry circles. People have friends and they talk.

Empty said:
yeah, but that would be like if the english army under henry v turned up to agincourt with just a couple of exhausted knights who could hardly swing a blade anymore.

Could you please use a car analogy instead?

Eteric Rice

TruePrime said:
Hey I am more then happy to be proven wrong, I like to see games do well. But I think it is much more likely to see Monster Hunter 3rd P go to 3DS then Monster Hunter Tri really.

Doesn't really matter which one. They simply really need to get the (Play with friends, get new gear, slay bigger monsters) idea out there in a big way.

I mean, I liked the Scottish guy, but it just told me I could play with friends and kill things. Didn't really say anything else.

M_A_C

Technosteve said:
Dear Alan Wake if you bombed world wide it's ok, i know you were meant for big tv comfy couches but like a good battered wife I will welcome you back to PC. Where we will be subjected to your out landish system requirements and DRM, it's ok we are used to it.

It's almost a given now, right?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
charlequin said:

I don't know about you, but I've got a great UMD collection of movies that I dip into every night. I think people just need to experience the screen.

Snuggler said:

"Hey, Nintendo, why release another console when the Gamecube sucked so bad?"

Mafro

TruePrime said:
Wouldn't surprise me at all if Capcom are already on that.

Beth Cyra

Eteric Rice said:
Doesn't really matter which one. They simply really need to get the (Play with friends, get new gear, slay bigger monsters) idea out there in a big way.

I mean, I liked the Scottish guy, but it just told me I could play with friends and kill things. Didn't really say anything else.

True, but I don't know if that would work, I mean it does in Japan, but that is because of how people communicate. I really don't think 4 friends playing together will do much. Unless I am missunderstanding and you are saying 4 friends online?

If that is the case, I don't know. Good luck is all I can say.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
AniHawk said:
I think they're probably tearing their hair out at the utter frustration that this current gen wound up being for them.

That was two years ago, its now about cool resignation and indifference, not to mention baldness.

DR2K

Banned
Why is Sony not dropping the price on the PSP? Especially now that they're making money off of the PS3.

Rainier

Glad to see RDR get the love it deserves. SMG2 looking good, I'm sure will end up outselling RDR. I feel bad for Alan Wake, it needed more out of the gate... I doubt it will get a sequel now. As someone pointed out, it sold less than Heavy Rain, which is something I never would have guessed six months ago.

lawblob said:
Plus, it's not like Sony is not opposed to releasing gizmos that nobody buys. Christ, didn't they just release a $300 web surfing alarm clock? Surely if they can get that out the door, they will get a PSP2 shipped.

wat? :lol

Chozo

DR2K said:
Why is Sony not dropping the price on the PSP? Especially now that they're making money off of the PS3.

IMO because the PSP has pretty much hit the point of no return where nothing they do will really change the PSP's fortunes in the west, so they might as well pump it for all it's worth.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
truly101 said:
That was two years ago, its now about cool resignation and indifference, not to mention baldness.

I find it curious that they are investing marketing dollars to energize their core with Kevin Butler but not coming up with marketing strategies that specifically reach out to the unconverted. I dunno, maybe that's what Marcus is supposed to do.

Top Bottom