• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Loudninja

Dante said:
I think it's fine, Like N'gai said in his blog they would have to cedo 07 after the MGS delay. As great as R&C and Uncharted are they are not system sellers to casuals. Anyways everybody overall did tremendous, and the videogame industry as a whole is looking great.

Agree,also what was PS3 last month numbers?

PhoenixDark said:
LOTR1.jpg

PlayStation 3 466K

LOTR2.jpg

PlayStation 2 496K

LOTR3.jpg

PSP 567K

LOTR4.jpg

Xbox 360 770K

LOTR5.jpg

Wii 981K

LOTR6.jpg

Nintendo DS 1.53 million

Ehm....no.

CrisKre

Ok, I need two things explained to me, mysteries that I don't understand:

1) Why are there no DS games in the Top 10? 1.53 million, MILLION, of these things sold yet nothing cracked the Top 10 software-wise? Is piracy on the DS that rampant among 10 year olds?

I think i have a theory for that first one.... Pack in Nintendogs and zelda deals. maybe. hahaha

slaughterking said:
Software numbers (>#10) we got so far:

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics (Wii) - 330k
Rock Band (360) - 312k
Lego Star Wars (Wii)- 180k
High School Musical (Wii) - 180k
Resident Evil UC (Wii) - 130k
Uncharted (PS3) - 117k
Crysis (PC) - 86,6k
Rock Band (PS3) - 70k
Zack & Wiki (Wii) - 35k
Unreal Tournament 3 (PC) - 34k
Manhunt 2 (Wii) - 18,5k

What am I missing?
Quoting myself with some added figures. Question still stands.

Jokeropia

schuelma said:
It's back in the thread- I think it was something like Galaxy outsold what Sunshine did in Sept, Oct, and Nov combined
August, September, October, November AND December combined.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Wow. How could Sunshine sell more then 3 millions in USA with a such low start ?
Mario has massive legs.

omg rite said:
How did you somehow try to relate CoD4 outselling Galaxy to RE outselling Uncharted?

The two don't fit. At all. You made a horrible comparison.

It means that the best games dont necessarely sell the better ;=)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AdmiralViscen said:
Didn't I say it would sell another 400k, smart ass? What's low about that for month 3?

That's absurdly great for month 3. I wish Uncharted had that for month 1.

I'm kinda disappointed that there aren't any real surprises though. Like...

The DS version of the COD4 selling the best
Mario and Sonic on top
Uncharted doing incredibly fucking well
A major IP selling better on PS3 than 360
A PSP game in the top 10

Practically impossible, but it would make this NPD thread a lot funnier. :D

kbear

I think it's disgusting how the first few pages are littered with "Where's Uncharted??" remarks. I guarantee most of the people asking that never played the game and just wanted to see if it failed or not because it's PS3's best game. People should be genuinely sad about its sales because it's easily one of the best games of the year, if not the best. Absolutely disgusting posts.

Tiktaalik

Look at all the Mature rated games in the top 10. Goes to show that hardcore gamers are still driving sales in NA.

Though Guitar Hero 3 Wii sales show casual sales

GhaleonEB said:
Holy fucking SNAP, Batman!

Yeah, that's not good. Not good at all, especially for such a highly regarded game.

I can understand Ratchet not selling even to the current userbase. The presentation, no matter how ridiculously well done, means that it could be mistaken for token kiddie mascot game. Uncharted however doesn't really suffer from that, although I suppose it lacks the grit and overly calculated cool of other properties. It's just a very good adventure game with great production values, but obviously that's not going to inspire a blind purchase decision.

WinFonda said:
Yeah but globally it's not the case. It's actually a wash. I know people love to cling to Sony's PS3 numbers in North America where it's currently performing the weakest in relation to the others, but to use such broad strokes and make it seem like Sony is doomed is pretty dumb. They need to improve in North America, yes. But Sony isn't doing bad at all when you take into account they have 3 viable platforms pulling in software and hardware sales on a global basis. They're not moving as much as Nintendo at the moment, but they're certainly moving more than Microsoft.

And yet, as I keep reiterating, if you're only just barely beating your competitor worldwide in HARDWARE you have to make ground in SOFTWARE.

That needs to start happening very very soon.

justjohn

kbear said:
I think it's disgusting how the first few pages are littered with "Where's Uncharted??" remarks. I guarantee most of the people asking that never played the game and just wanted to see if it failed or not because it's PS3's best game. People should be genuinely sad about its sales because it's easily one of the best games of the year, if not the best. Absolutely disgusting posts.
i predict avatar quotes :lol

mood

kbear said:

Dunno dude I find your post pretty disgusting. I should feel sad for Sony?

pswii60

ComputerNerd said:
PS3 surpassed my expectations.

Same here. I mean, come on, no one expected it to do massive numbers, or even do as well as the 360, but it's still pretty decent considering, hardly been left out to dry anyway.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dante said:
I think it's fine, Like N'gai said in his blog they would have to cede 07 after the MGS delay. As great as R&C and Uncharted are they are not system sellers to casuals.

MGS no longer is either.

dude

dude
Big Nate said:

1) Why are there no DS games in the Top 10? 1.53 million, MILLION, of these things sold yet nothing cracked the Top 10 software-wise? Is piracy on the DS that rampant among 10 year olds?
A lot of titles with no blockbuster releases this month means sales are more spread out.

Kusagari

Spawn99 said:
I'm glad PS3 owners didn't buy Ratchet & Clank. It brings nothing new to the series except HD graphics.

Insomnia and Naughty Dog need to learn that sequels aren't needed every year. Give is new game play types with each installment. Take a page from the Mario book.

Thats because 360 has a lot of casual owners now though. Back when 360 was toiling around PS3 numbers in America, it still had a lot of successful games compared to PS3.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Barnolde said:
Why didn't you fuckers buy Uncharted?!

Because I got it as a gift?

But yeah, holy shit at Uncharted numbers. I expected somewhere around Mass Effect numbers... but Uncharted did beat out Ratchet's first month, I guess. :p

I just want to say that of all games I played this year, I'm just really happy that Mario will be ending up in a lot of hands at christmas. It's the one game that I hope everybody gets the chance to play, regardless of sales numbers.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hardware sales matter a lot more to some people.
BB, the reason hardware matters is because they lead to those software numbers, right there.

Top 10 PS3 software / Top 10 360 Software = 24%
PS3 installed base / 360 installed base = 31%

Software is by and large a function of hardware.

BobLoblaw

Banned
WinFonda said:
Yeah but globally it's not the case. It's actually a wash. I know people love to cling to Sony's PS3 numbers in North America where it's currently performing the weakest in relation to the others, but to use such broad strokes and make it seem like Sony is doomed is pretty dumb. They need to improve in North America, yes. But Sony isn't doing bad at all when you take into account they have 3 viable platforms pulling in software and hardware sales on a global basis. They're not moving as much as Nintendo at the moment, but they're certainly moving more than Microsoft.

Still, it's becoming less and less of an incentive for American developers to support the platform in the states. That in itself is huge.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
slaughterking said:
Quoting myself with some added figures. Question still stands.

Oh dear for UT3, total bomb, and somehow I dont think the PS3 version will help matters worse, trust me to jump in day one to a sinking ship (I got the PC version) :(

Loudninja

pswii60 said:
Same here. I mean, come on, no one expected it to do massive numbers, or even do as well as the 360, but it's still pretty decent considering, hardly been left out to dry anyway.

Agreed, also they surpass gaf expectations

Jammy

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
It just occured to me. To those who are still impressed that Wii Play has "legs". Do you think it's ever going to slow down? I don't expect it to ever sell less than half of what that months Wii hardware sales are for the rest of the Wii's lifetime. It could conceiveably sell 30-40 million over that timeframe. A better question would be what kind of importance will those sales mean when all is said and done? People want extra controllers for what is essentially a party system? Seriously.

We'll be able to say something outsold Super Mario Bros. on NES now! :lol

Mario will take the top spot in December, and holy cow at CoD4. Also :( at Zak and Wiki, more people need to buy uncharted and Rock Band did some solid numbers.

schuelma said:
Total..so not so good.
After hearing about how they didn't ship a lot, and no marketing, and basically no one buying it....it's not so bad. Of course I wanted it to do better, but compared to what I was expecting, it's not so bad.

:(

Lefty42o

Banned
Big Nate said:

2) Why do people buy 360's like hotcakes when the thing breaks continually? Has the Falcon version finally fixed RROD's, or does the general public just not care?

Games and live

next the rrod is overblown. I had a launch 360 for a year traded it in for a elite and have not had one issue. same as my friends.

don't get me wrong. i know there was issues but some people act like they last a month or 2 when the fact is the majority have no problems.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
pswii60 said:

It dropped to 400 dollars at the very beginning of the reporting period, and Sony unleashed a massive ad campaign. It benefited from an extra week of holiday sales.

I really don't understand how 466K, especially in comparison to its competitors is anything but very bad.

Barnolde

Banned
chespace said:
Because I got it as a gift?

But yeah, holy shit at Uncharted numbers. I expected somewhere around Mass Effect numbers... but Uncharted did beat out Ratchet's first month, I guess. :p
Now buy a copy for each member of the Forza team.

GhaleonEB said:
BB, the reason hardware matters is because they lead to those software numbers, right there.

Top 10 PS3 software / Top 10 360 Software = 24%
PS3 installed base / 360 installed base = 31%

Software is by and large a function of hardware.

Absolutely, but even if and when Sony starts eking past 360 performance world wide, the software revenue numbers of the 360 most likely won't change. In terms of driving the industry it will still be Wii > 360 > PS3.

The Innocent X said:
hideo's sphincter just tightened a little seeing that uncharted number

I'm certainly not going to make any bets for sales here given the utter suckshit quality of the PS3 userbase, but I also don't think there's a valid comparison there.

Uncle

Eh, isn't that 3x the user base = 3x times the software sales a bit lame excuse considering you have to ignore Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Rock Band numbers?

kbear said:

sackcry2.gif

Top Bottom