• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

ghst said:
it's probably worth pointing out that if NPD was still in its original format, GT5 wouldn't have charted.

I pointed this out pages ago and was corrected.

Halo Reach didn't make this chart but apparently snuck into the individual one.

Jonsoncao

Banned
clashfan said:
That is pretty shocking if true...
No, that is not true, GT5 sells better than Halo Reach which is #10 on single SKU chart but uncharted in multiplatform chart

but GT5 probably is gonna be uncharted next month...pretty sad

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
donkey show said:
jeffgordonmeme02.jpg

:lol Jesus Christ zombie Gordon never ceases to creep.

How many days did NPD count for GT5? It sold less than NFS? What bizarro world is this?

FrankT

Captain Tuttle said:
That'll learn 'em!

And if they do there will be some serious issues with those numbers imo. Talking about possibly 2-2.5 million in the US alone for the quarter. Japan shave off 500-700K maybe? No way EMEA would make up for that gap and I don't think they are that far off now there anyway week over week, but hard to say with no real numbers and yea I've seen the chart from last quarter. They already had a larger shipment last quarter and the one before that and last quarter real WW sales were probably not that far off. Bottom line it will be very interesting where the shipments come in at.

DarkPanda

What the Wii and 360 numbers tell me is that the Wii had a great end of the month (900k Black Friday, yo!), while the 360 did better earlier in the month to make up for it (Go Kinect bump!). I believe that the Wii will continue this and be the top seller in December, though the 360 will do better than usual, possibly its best December ever.

I remember a Reggie quote from a few months back about how Nintendo isn't worried about slowing sales because they always have a strong holiday. I didn't quite buy it at the time, but looking at these numbers, they might be on to something. The 360 is definitely going to put up a good fight though, and the decline from the rest of this year doesn't bode too well for 2011. Next year, either in the spring or after E3, we should see Nintendo's new strategy, which will probably include a $50 price cut and possibly some new colors.

As for a Wii redesign, I don't really believe that's possible. The Wii is incredibly small to begin with; the largest internal component is the disk drive itself, and the external case size is dictated by the space required for the Gamecube ports. While they might be able to shave off a few millimeters, you're not going to get the drastic difference in size that happened with the slim versions of the HD twins.

Amir0x

Banned
Kafel said:
While it's untrue, you know what he meant. In fact, I'd bet that GT5 won't be in next month's NPD top 10.

I actually don't know what he meant. Not even CLOSE to everybody who wanted GT5 will have purchased it in this month. So, yeah... I mean, the debut is pretty telling of a.) the health of the PS3 b.) the bungling of GT5's launch but his comment had virtually no value

iammeiam

So we know for a fact the following single-platform titles would make the old-school NPD top 10:

Just Dance 2
Fable III
DKCR
Gran Turismo 5
Wii Fit Plus
Halo: Reach

That's 6/10 there, leaving us 4 open slots. Any guesses on what those 4 would be? CODBLOPS 360/PS3 and AC:Brotherhood 360/PS3?

Edit: Based on Sony/MS PR, it looks like that'd have to be the distribution.

Banned
If the PS3 doesnt do 1.2 Million in December then it will be down for the whole year. That is after spending 8 months of the year $100 cheaper.

CozMick said:
But let's be honest, you are correct.

The software alone should, should shift alot more PS3s than is currently happening.

Not at that price , if i want buy console now i going to get what my friends have.
The Xbox 360 is cheaper , more people in NA have it and PS3 only big game this year was GT 5 which was a big fuck up and not as big in NA compare to EU.
Any hope PS3 doing better in NA was crush this year , they can do few price drops to help until they get PS4 out .

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thread's moving too fast for me. Just for the sake of having complete PR:
Sony said:
NPD: December 2010

Top PlayStation Highlights
- PS3 hardware sales continue to increase month over month (up 112%)
- PS3 had a 5% increase in year-to-date sales in November
- Three PS3 games ranked in the top ten software skus for the month, including Call of Duty: Black Opps, Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood, Gran Turismo 5

SCEA Statement
This holiday season PlayStation celebrates, along with the video game industry, as NPD reports a 9% year over year industry increase in overall dollar sales. The early blockbuster success of PlayStation Move has undoubtedly helped to pave the way for us as we head into 2011. The library of hard core and social gamer titles currently on the store shelves (EyePet, Get Fit with Mel B, Gran Turismo 5, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, SingStar Dance) as well those to come (Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, LittleBigPlanet 2, Twisted Metal, Killzone 3) will only continue to solidify our place in the living room. In fact, the strength of Move’s technology infrastructure in allowing our developers to make already released titles Move compatible, will help broaden the net of their existing PS3 titles, bringing them to life even further with PlayStation Move. We’re pleased that consumers continue to look to PlayStation for innovative and unique entertainment experiences. As we head into the new year, with almost every PlayStation Move sku in short supply and on allocation, I think we will continue to see a steady surge of positive growth for our home entertainment offerings simply because customers looking for strong product value, quality entertainment offerings, depth in gaming and content (original programming, NetFlix, Hulu Plus, NHL, MLB), will choose PlayStation.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

Nintendo said:
Nintendo Sells More Than 2.7 Million Wii and Nintendo DS Systems in November

Nintendo is still hot for the holidays. In November alone, eager holiday shoppers in the United States snapped up more than 2.7 million Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ systems. That equates to more than 1.2 million Wii systems and more than 1.5 million units from the Nintendo DS family of systems, according to the NPD Group, which tracks U.S. sales of video games.

“According to our internal numbers, Nintendo sold 600,000 Wii systems during Thanksgiving Week alone, an increase of 50,000 over 2009,” said Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America’s senior director of Corporate Communications. “Holiday shoppers are obviously responding well to the great value Nintendo products offer, from our special bundles to the social fun of our games.”

Nintendo has something for everyone, including hot bundles for the holidays:

Limited-edition red Wii hardware in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros.™ game on the NES™. It includes a new red Wii system, a red Wii Remote™ Plus controller, a red Nunchuk™ controller, and games New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii and Wii Sports™ at a suggested retail price of $199.99.
A limited-edition red Nintendo DSi XL™ bundle in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. game on the NES. It features a red Nintendo DSi XL system with three iconic Super Mario Bros.-themed graphics, the Mario Kart™ DS game and preloaded software, including Brain Age™ Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math and Photo Clock. It is available at a suggested retail price of $179.99.
Orange and green Nintendo DSi™ systems, which are bundled with the Mario Party™ DS game. They are available at a suggested retail price of $149.99.
Some exclusive games for the Wii console include Super Mario Galaxy™ 2, Metroid™: Other M, Wii Party™, Kirby’s Epic Yarn™, PokéPark™ Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure, FlingSmash™ (which comes bundled with the new Wii Remote Plus controller) and Donkey Kong Country™ Returns. On the portable Nintendo DS family of systems, shoppers can choose games like DRAGON QUEST® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future™, Pokémon Ranger™: Guardian Signs, Art Academy™, Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Mini-Land Mayhem! and Golden Sun™: Dark Dawn.

Microsoft said:
Coming off the biggest Black Friday in the history of the Xbox business, Xbox 360 maintains its lead as the top-selling video game console in the U.S. in 2010.

In addition to the great momentum for the Xbox 360 console, last week Microsoft announced it sold 2.5 million Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors to consumers worldwide in just 25 days. Other NPD highlights include:

· November marks the sixth consecutive month Xbox 360 leads video game consoles in sales, with 1.37 million units sold. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

· Xbox 360 is the only console to show double digit year-to-date growth at 42%, making it the fastest-growing console in 2010. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

· 50% of spending at retail this November (for current generation consoles) was on the Xbox 360 platform. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

· During the month of November, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “Call of Duty: Black Ops,” “Fable III,” “Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood,” and “Halo: Reach.” (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

· “Call of Duty: Black Ops” for Xbox 360 was the number one selling console game in November. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

· Strong demand for Kinect games continues with “Kinect Sports” and “Dance Central.”(Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

With a broad third-party games portfolio and strong consumer demand for Kinect, Xbox 360 remains poised to drive strong holiday sales and the biggest year in the history of the Xbox business. Microsoft is confident it will reach 5 million Kinect sensors sold to consumers by the end of this year and is working hard with its retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments of Kinect to keep up with demand.

szaromir said:
100k actually. It's still a big deal, it's 6th month in a row and going into December. Wii might outsell it in December, but probably not by much. If Microsoft has the right software for Kinect throught next year and especially next November and December it might be a strong #1 contender again. We'll see.
HAHA, yeah right. 360 will catch up to Wii and become #1 because of Kinect. Sure. Even if MS came close, Ninty has 3DS and Wii2 in the stables. It's just not going to happen.

jman2050

The Wii's position is basically the same it was last year, chronic hot-ticket holiday item, and selling about the same as last year reflects that. Being beat out by the 360 is an individual success story for them with the Kinect launch, though I guess their success is relatively insignificant when considering the big picture.

I don't know what happened to Sony but those PS3 numbers are just... well people have covered that ground already, let's just focus on Nintendo and Microsoft's success :p

gogogow

iammeiam said:
So we know for a fact the following single-platform titles would make the old-school NPD top 10:

Just Dance 2
Fable III
DKCR
Gran Turismo 5
Wii Fit Plus

That's 6/10 there, leaving us 4 open slots. Any guesses on what those 4 would be? CODBLOPS 360/PS3 and AC:Brotherhood 360/PS3?
Erm......CODBLOPS sold 8.4 million copies, yeah I think that will make the top 10.......

jkanownik

Vizion28 said:
Just Dance 2 is hit which is surprising because most 'casual' game sequels do much worse on Wii.

Most casual Wii fans don't care about the differences in content between releases. They will almost always buy the cheapest option when given a choice. Just Dance 2 had two things going for it:

1) Pricing similar to the 1st release
2) Content casuals actually cared about (new songs)

Keeping the song count low in Just Dance 1 was in retrospect a brilliant move by Ubisoft. The $39.99 retail allowed then to keep Just Dance 1 at full price all year and made fans of the title hungry for more content.

Guy Legend said:
Why would it. PS3 has been catching up every year, it's on track to catch the XB360 within the next couple of years.

It hasn't been catching up every year. The gap has narrowed after the first two PS3 price drops, then widened after the 360 price drop and finally narrowed again after last year's slim + price drop combo. Whether it's going to keep narrowing or widen again remains to be seen (we'll probably get price drops on both sides next year), but they'll probably remain very close no matter which one takes the 2nd place.

Unless, like you said, Kinect becomes huge.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

a month over month increase from october to november?!?! you don't say!!!

HAL_Laboratory said:
HAHA, yeah right. 360 will catch up to Wii and become #1 because of Kinect. Sure. Even if MS came close, Ninty has 3DS and Wii2 in the stables. It's not going to happen.
Are people unable to read (into) other peoples comments or do they just like antagonism for the sake of an entertaining NPD thread?

The guy clearly meant that the 360 might be contender to be the number 1 selling console for the month of november or december 2011. He didn't say the 360 would become the number 1 selling console LTD/overall.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Stumpokapow said:

The hilarious part will be if one of the PlayStation family doesn't see such an increase. :p

Kolgar

Stumpokapow said:

Those poor PR guys got to work with what they got

Kenka

jvm said:
Thread's moving too fast for me. Just for the sake of having complete PR:

Sony's PR is somehow well written. Shareholders won't spill their coffee on their keyboard, I hope.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Empty said:
gt4 first month us sales - 620k

gt4 ltd shipments in the us - 3.06 millon

okay.
No doubt that it will continue to sell for months (if not years - bundles) to come. It has a good chance of selling more in December than November (3 days + December being a bigger month).

However, it is safe to say that most games have been more front loaded this gen than last.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Stumpokapow said:

I had to re-read that a few times to make sure I read it right. Incredible!

gerg

jkanownik said:
Most casual Wii fans don't care about the differences in content between releases. They will almost always buy the cheapest option when given a choice. Just Dance 2 had two things going for it:

1) Pricing similar to the 1st release
2) Content casuals actually cared about (new songs)

Keeping the song count low in Just Dance 1 was in retrospect a brilliant move by Ubisoft. The $39.99 retail allowed then to keep Just Dance 1 at full price all year and made fans of the title hungry for more content.

There's also the fact that Just Dance 2 has great multiplayer modes. It is an incredibly well-designed social game from that perspective.

szaromir

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
AGAIN i'm not downplaying it.
Purely saying its not a frigging achievement in and of itself to spend $1bn to make a $1bn of sales, and take nothing away from your competitor (unless that competitor is SOny!)

If they maintain these sales and break even on the 360 because of it, then its a success!
Of course they'll break even in the quarter. The revenue stream is just huge for them.

You are looking at it wrong anyway. $500M isn't a relaunch budget for 360, it's a launch budget for Kinect, which is pretty much a new platform. They need as many Kinects in consumer hands as possible, because after Christmas casuals won't be in purchasing mood anymore and the sales will slow down. Having a userbase that will create word of mouth for the next waves of software (Spring?) is absolutely crucial. Without the advertising blitz the thing would be DOA.

Holyshit @ 360 numbers! :eek: Was that cause of Kinect?

chespace said:
:lol Jesus Christ zombie Gordon never ceases to creep.

How many days did NPD count for GT5? It sold less than NFS? What bizarro world is this?

Hot Pursuit - 16 November 2010 - 360/PS3/PC/Wii
GT5 - November 24, 2010 - PS3

Some perspective is always nice.

itxaka

Defeatist
NPD: December 2010

Top PlayStation Highlights
- PS3 had a 5% increase in year-to-date sales in November
- Three PS3 games ranked in the top ten software skus for the month, including Call of Duty: Black Opps, Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood, Gran Turismo 5

SCEA Statement
This holiday season PlayStation celebrates, along with the video game industry, as NPD reports a 9% year over year industry increase in overall dollar sales. The early blockbuster success of PlayStation Move has undoubtedly helped to pave the way for us as we head into 2011. The library of hard core and social gamer titles currently on the store shelves (EyePet, Get Fit with Mel B, Gran Turismo 5, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, SingStar Dance) as well those to come (Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, LittleBigPlanet 2, Twisted Metal, Killzone 3) will only continue to solidify our place in the living room. In fact, the strength of Move’s technology infrastructure in allowing our developers to make already released titles Move compatible, will help broaden the net of their existing PS3 titles, bringing them to life even further with PlayStation Move. We’re pleased that consumers continue to look to PlayStation for innovative and unique entertainment experiences. As we head into the new year, with almost every PlayStation Move sku in short supply and on allocation, I think we will continue to see a steady surge of positive growth for our home entertainment offerings simply because customers looking for strong product value, quality entertainment offerings, depth in gaming and content (original programming, NetFlix, Hulu Plus, NHL, MLB), will choose PlayStation.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

No momentum or playstation family? wtf Sony, for shame.

Pooya

Stumpokapow said:

They used Month over Month increase in software sales for PR last month, this is an improvement I guess...

Dabanton

A.R.K said:
does MS fucking go buy their own games in bulk from retailers or what? its disgusting when crap like this sell and quality games struggle...I have to salute the xbox community though, they fucking buy every piece of crap that comes out on the 360 no matter the quality...thats loyalty!

I've missed these kind of meltdowns.

Stumpokapow said:

Well, they're half-full glass people. :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

They didn't have much to work with this month :lol

Kenka

Metalmurphy said:
Hot Pursuit - 16 November 2010 - 360/PS3/PC/Wii
GT5 - November 24, 2010 - PS3

Some perspective is always nice.

We've stressed that many times but... c'mon you can't deny it feels off somehow :-(

szaromir said:
Of course they'll break even in the quarter. The revenue stream is just huge for them.

You are looking at it wrong anyway. $500M isn't a relaunch budget for 360, it's a launch budget for Kinect, which is pretty much a new platform. They need as many Kinects in consumer hands as possible, because after Christmas casuals won't be in purchasing mood anymore and the sales will slow down. Having a userbase that will create word of mouth for the next waves of software (Spring?) is absolutely crucial. Without the advertising blitz the thing would be DOA.

500 million isn't even a launch budget for Kinect, not going to be anywhere near that high this year alone.

iammeiam said:

Just Dance 2
Fable III
DKCR
Gran Turismo 5
Wii Fit Plus

I'm guessing :

1) CODBLOPS 360
2) CODBLOPS PS3
3) Just Dance 2
4) AC:B 360
5) Fable 3
6) DKCR
7) AC:B PS3
8) Need 4 Speed 360
9) Madden 360
10) either n4s ps3 or gt5

Kenka said:
If true, then these numbers should be added to the conversations. Not in order to fuel fanboyish nonsense but to underline what has been said several pages back when posters pointed out the fact that GT entries are slowburners.

Please, can you add the source ? I hope for you it doesn't with a "z".

edit : nice edit.

GT entries are slowbundles, I agree.

None of the games, PS2-on, would have achieved those shipments in the states without bundles.

szaromir

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
HAHA, yeah right. 360 will catch up to Wii and become #1 because of Kinect. Sure. Even if MS came close, Ninty has 3DS and Wii2 in the stables. It's just not going to happen.
I said it could be #1 next year, the same way it has a shot at being #1 this year (it is at the moment, but still could go either way). Why it's so unthinkable that it can't compete with Wii next year?

Road

iammeiam said:

Just Dance 2
Fable III
DKCR
Gran Turismo 5
Wii Fit Plus

My guess:

[360] Black Ops
[PS3] Black Ops
[360] Brotherhood
[WII] Just Dance 2
[360] Fable III
[PS3] Brotherhood
[WII] DKC Returns
[PS3] Gran Turismo 5
[WII] Wii Fit Plus
[360] Halo Reach

In no particular order.