• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Glix

butter_stick said:
Because Nintendo's "relaunch" will be releasing a new console, and ultimately now isn't the right time for it?

Let me help pow out here.

He is just saying that you can't say Well, XBOX beat Wii because of the redesign, and Wii didn't do one.

If it was that easy for N to add 1 million to sales (or whatever) by redesigning the system, they would do it.

Internal Analyst - We'll make millions more if we redesign this year

Iwata - Nah, we don't need to we're already #1

Cmon people...

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Corto said:
What will these PS3 numbers mean to Sony 15M projection for 2010?
Shouldn't make much difference.

They (or their fans) just won't be able to use the "supply constrained" excuse early next year.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
You can't have a Playstation console in your collectino and NOT have a Gran Tursimo game on it. So I got 1 and 2 years later for PS1, and got GT4 for PS2.

Might wait for GT6 on PS3 though.
Now I am ashamed. I picked up a PS2 after the PS3 was launched, and I have yet to pick up either GT3 or 4. In my defense, new GT4 copies are pricy around here. :p

Averon

Kevin Butler isn't the problem. The numerous fuck-ups Sony made leading up to the holiday was a far greater issue.

szaromir

Banned
Kitschkraft said:
Does this put to rest the idea that PS3 can catch the 360 worldwide? US it's been over for some time, but as things stand, I can't imagine the gap ever closing with US/UK being so wide as it is.
Edit: whooops, misread.

Guy Legend

Kitschkraft said:
Does this put to rest the idea that PS3 can catch the 360 worldwide? US it's been over for some time, but as things stand, I can't imagine the gap ever closing with US/UK being so wide as it is.

Why would it. PS3 has been catching up every year, it's on track to catch the XB360 within the next couple of years.

Unless Kinect has changed the game.

FirstInHell said:
Anyone who was going to buy GT5 bought it the day it came out.

Guess Sony should pull the game off the shelves since no one else will be buying it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Glix said:

He is just saying that you can't say Well, XBOX beat Wii because of the redesign, and Wii didn't do one.

If it was that easy for N to add 1 million to sales (or whatever) by redesigning the system, they would do it.

Cmon people...
That's mostly true, but lets not forget that MS is also riding the wave of an insane new a peripheral hype with a massive add campaign, along with the redesign and substantial price drops.

goldenpp72 said:
I'm willing to bet the bulk of the 360 sales were the 300 and 400 models rather than the 200 model.

Even if they were the Xbox 360 out sold the PS3 by 840,000 this month.
If they sold let say 250,000 of the 200 model that still half of what Sony sold this month.

Glix said:
First part is right, second part is wrong. If they cut the damn price, the thing will start selling. For real. Like blow it out. Pack it with a game and an awesome Blu-Ray for 250 in Jan when HDTVs have even MORE mass market penetration, and maybe you can get this thing in more US homes and have the lifecycle you wanted for this thing.

I think a 2012 PS4 would be a disaster. The PS3 HAS the tech. The price is too much. All PS4 would do is sell to the people that already have a PS3 and love to be early adopters.

They need to wipe PS3 from people minds it has been one of the biggest fuck ups in gaming history .
A new system could help with that , new marketing , better launch price and more games at the start of the gen .
I love GT 5 and all but 4 years to make allot of stuff in it stupid as fuck .

Mrbob said:
With 1.4 million sold for Xbox 360 I think it is safe to say MS has won in the USA versus PS3. Playstation 3 will have to enjoy its stay in 3rd place.

That battle was over a long time ago in the US. *If* Sony ever catches up worldwide it will be because of other regions, not because of US sales. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Corto said:

Probably nothing. They were saying they were ahead of expectations in October when they knew they were going to be down YoY in the USA this holiday quarter.

Amir0x

Banned
Guy Legend said:
Why would it. PS3 has been catching up every year, it's on track to catch the XB360 within the next couple of years.

Unless Kinect has changed the game.

Well, uhm, have you seen this months numbers? I'd say some game has been changed. It's a shame... 360 starts selling well right when it's at its shittiest (Kinect blows, and future is all Kinect), and PS3 continues its decline right when it's actually worth something.

Of course, where is my "Amir0x trolls Ps3" ymnd? Seems truer every day. Not that I would ever say "I told you so".

Pooya

take it FWIW
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6285129.html

GameSpot: How are the Kinect software attach rates looking?

David Dennis: They're good. I don't have an exact number. Our data guys are still pouring over everything, and attach is one of those ones that's not right there. You need to do some calculating to parse out Kinect games versus others. In general, we've got quite a few of the Kinect games in the top 15-ish overall, so we feel really good about just the general basket attach we saw overall at retail.

I see GT5 and Move commercials ALL the time. I want to say that this year is more than any other year. In contrast, I've only seen that Burger King commercial for Kinect every so often.

I always knew Fable III would sell well, like Fable I and II. GAF just doesn't like it, but outside of GAF, it's successful. My hardcore friends are willing to buy it, and it has an appeal to my casual friends. It's a great game. I know it can be a technical mess, but...most people don't care about that stuff. They want fun. Fable III is fun, even if short, glitch-y fun.

Stumpokapow said:
<Poster> The 360's sales uptick is not notable, because they did a relaunch. Nintendo still has that card.
<Stumpokapow> Like people complaining about Wii Play sales, it doesn't make sense to downplay success by saying anyone could do it. If anyone could do it, why don't they?

This is the only point I'm making. If it's so easy to pull off a relaunch, and if it's so unworthy of kudos that Microsoft did, why hasn't Nintendo?
Because a relaunch when you're selling 1.3 million units in november might be waisted potential, or overkill, or something along those lines?

I know you want to make the point that downplaying Microsofts success is wrong, but I think you're not doing it effectively when you're trying to downplay Nintendo's success, or argue that Nintendo could also do the exact same thing as Microsoft (spend 500million on ads and redesign the console) as if sales can go up infinitely. I doubt the sales surge from the 1.3million we have now would cover the 500million ad costs made to make the surge possible.

Both you and DefenceReject seem to have taken an extreme position, while the truth lies in the middle. Yes, MS has done extraordinarily well, but they've done quite a lot to make it possible as well. Yes, Nintendo has lost its complete dominance over the competition and even lost its first place in a holiday month, but considering the efforts its competitors have put out in comparison to Nintendo to get their results, Nintendo is still doing exceptional.

Glix said:

Cmon people...
lol what?
i said purely, MS had a relaunch and Nintendo did nothing and is keeping pace.
not OMG they could sell millions if they did one!
having a relaunch to catch up with a console is impressive i guess?
Come back in 4 years??

Kusagari

CaptYamato said:
Comparing the reactions not the games.

Well I think a lot of people(including myself) expected DR2 would bomb after the LP2 debacle. So to see it had modest to good sales of over 300k was a relief.

It's not really fair to compare the reactions of a game like that to a game that everyone expected to be the biggest PS3 game ever pretty much not even being able to beat DKC in sales.

CozMick said:
I hope these obvious supply constraints won't affect my purchase of an NTSC PS3 slim.

I can't tell what's happening with this post.

Amir0x said:
Well, uhm, have you seen this months numbers? I'd say some game has been changed. It's a shame... 360 starts selling well right when it's at its shittiest (Kinect blows, and future is all Kinect), and PS3 continues its decline right when it's actually worth something.

Of course, where is my "Amir0x trolls Ps3" ymnd? Seems truer every day. Not that I would ever say "I told you so".

Mentioned you earlier, you missed it ;)

PS3: 530k (-25%)

jeffgordonmeme02.jpg

RyanDG

Corto said:

It's not entirely out the window yet. They would need a monster December, but based on last year's sales it is still *hypothetically* in reach.

CozMick

Banned
Amir0x said:

But let's be honest, you are correct.

The software alone should, should shift alot more PS3s than is currently happening.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lonely1 said:
That's mostly true, but lets not forget that MS is also riding the wave of an insane new a peripheral hype with a massive add campaign, along with the redesign and substantial price drops.

Yes, and all of those things were deliberate actions.

Nintendo is able to "ride the wave of an insane new a peripheral hype".
Nintendo is able to spend on massive ad campaigns.
Nintendo is able to redesign.
Nintendo is able to do substantial price drops (and I'm not sure why that factors in here; Microsoft didn't drop the 360's price and Kinect actually probably raised the ASP).

Just like when people said that Wii Play didn't count, none of these factors make Microsoft's success count less.

If Nintendo is not able/willing to do these things (because the benefit of a massive ad campaign is less than the expense, or a redesign is diminishing returns, or Wii HD is around the corner, or Wii has less room to price drop), that enhances what Microsoft has done, not diminishes it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it's probably worth pointing out that if NPD was still in its original format, GT5 wouldn't have charted.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Of course, where is my "Amir0x trolls Ps3" ymnd? Seems truer every day.
:lol I forgot all about that.

ghst said:
it's probably worth pointing out that if NPD was still in its original format, GT5 wouldn't have charted.
Sony moneyhats buying the NPD format!!!

gofreak said:
Not quite. It's more or less half way between 2008 and 2009 november numbers.

Not very good at all. Sony should really revise their marketing strategy in NA I think.

Coming from a board that think the Kevin Butler ads are funny. I am glad you are in the minority.

Kenka

Empty said:
gt4 first month us sales - 620k

gt4 ltd shipments in the us - 3.06 millon

okay.

If true, then these numbers should be added to the conversations. Not in order to fuel fanboyish nonsense but to underline what has been said several pages back when posters pointed out the fact that GT entries are slowburners.

Please, can you add the source ? I hope for you it doesn't with a "z".

edit : nice edit.

Lonely1 said:

What price drops? It's been a few years since they've done that.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
ghst said:

It would have. According to Microsoft Halo: Reach would have been 10th in the original format.

Amir0x

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
:lol I forgot all about that.

I speak truth in the darkest corners of fanboy nightmares, and then they stand alone at the end of all things, their greatest fears realized.

RiccochetJ said:
Hopefully the AC:B numbers leak soon. I wonder how it did compared to the monster that is COD.

Yeah, I'm really interested to see how well it did. Its crazy to me that a game like AC can do so well.

Stumpokapow said:
Yes, and all of those things were deliberate actions.

Nintendo is able to "ride the wave of an insane new a peripheral hype"
Nintendo is able to spend on massive ad campaigns
Nintendo is able to redesign
Nintendo is able to do substantial price drops (and I'm not sure why that factors in here; Microsoft didn't drop the 360's price and Kinect actually probably raised the ASP)

Just like when people said that Wii Play didn't count, none of these factors make Microsoft's success count less.

AGAIN i'm not downplaying it.
Purely saying its not a frigging achievement in and of itself to spend $1bn to make a $1bn of sales, and take nothing away from your competitor (unless that competitor is SOny!)

If they maintain these sales and break even on the 360 because of it, then its a success!

Kafel

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well, we know that is factually untrue. You must have misspoke.

While it's untrue, you know what he meant. In fact, I'd bet that GT5 won't be in next month's NPD top 10.

Top Bottom