• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

yellowjacket25 said:
Ive probably seen the GT5 tv ad 3 or 4 times. Ive seen the PS3 - Best Buy ad at least 20 times and the Move ads much more then that. I don't think Sony was all that interested in a serious push for GT5. GOW3 for example got much more marketing then GT5 has so far. I wonder if Sony is just stretched a little thin trying to advertise the PS3, Move and GT5.

OR, it could be bad word of mouth too? I know a lot of PS3 fans who were borderline disgusted at the overall standard of GT5 given the development cycle. If they start telling THEIR friends, that shit spreads.

CozMick

Banned
Fredescu said:
That's very easy to say in hindsight. Did anyone on GAF actually predict it? I'd wager if they did, they'd be laughed at.

Had you asked me that before the Nov 2nd delay I would have said it would be the best selling console exclusive of the month

But once the shit hit the fan with the delay and 3 days of sales, well no!

Rhindle

Fredescu said:
That's very easy to say in hindsight. Did anyone on GAF actually predict it? I'd wager if they did, they'd be laughed at.
I think I did, at E3. Or at least, that NFS would be better reviewed. Which it has been.

Lunchbox

Banned
A.R.K said:
does MS fucking go buy their own games in bulk from retailers or what? its disgusting when crap like this sell and quality games struggle...I have to salute the xbox community though, they fucking buy every piece of crap that comes out on the 360 no matter the quality...thats loyalty!

its feels like 07 again !

Glix

gundamkyoukai said:
It's all about the price of the system , people that buying system now have allot of games they can buy for it.
Few exclusive not going to change that. Sony thinking a 299 was going to cut it this year was crazy.
They really need PS4 around 2012.

First part is right, second part is wrong. If they cut the damn price, the thing will start selling. For real. Like blow it out. Pack it with a game and an awesome Blu-Ray for 250 in Jan when HDTVs have even MORE mass market penetration, and maybe you can get this thing in more US homes and have the lifecycle you wanted for this thing.

I think a 2012 PS4 would be a disaster. The PS3 HAS the tech. The price is too much. All PS4 would do is sell to the people that already have a PS3 and love to be early adopters.

Speevy

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
OR, it could be bad word of mouth too? I know a lot of PS3 fans who were borderline disgusted at the overall standard of GT5 given the development cycle. If they start telling THEIR friends, that shit spreads.

People were complaining about Gran Turismo 4 at launch too, really.

fernoca

pharmboy044 said:
Didn't Fable III sell that well because it dropped to $30 around Black Friday?
Yeah, $30. $40 actually, but:
Black Friday: November 26
NPD coverage ended: November 27

Is not like that many people waiting for that sale, plus the game did 500K in less than a week during the October NPD. Prior Fable games did more in more week, so most sales were probably during th rest of the full week of release.

Amir0x

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

I think while the fucked up launch hurt it a lot (the moving release date was a disaster, clearly), there was not enough time for word of mouth to significantly impact these sales. That would reflect in next month numbers.

Stumpokapow said:
which explains the 360

oh wait, right, the 360 had a relaunch

why doesn't the wii have a relaunch

oh wait, that's the last question i asked you

... erm... no. which is why i pointed out that you were arguing for resting on your laurels. but suppose that is your strategy--they've been down yoy consistently until this month, where they tied last year. so... uh...

Why would you pricecut whilst selling better than anything EVER at the price you were at .

so in other words what MS pulled off is a big deal and your initial "what did you expect? ms just pulled off a relaunch, nintendo hasn't used that card yet" point was, as i pointed out, silly.
I'm not entirely sure what you guys are arguing about, but I've had this impression that you try to counter Defenserejects' overly optimistic view on Nintendo's situation by an overly pessimistic one.

Who says they're just resting on their laurels? I mean, the Wii had a rough year but had a gigantic surge (biggest in history) this month. I assume that's thanks to bundles, new colors (for the DS) and new games like DKC. So it's not like Nintendo is doing jack squat to reverse the downward trend. And who knows what they're planning for 2011 with the Wii...

It seems as if you look at the Wii and 360 numbers, and without context conclude that Nintendo is dropping the ball because despite selling 1.3million units this month, it's not the best selling console.

Edit: or at least, you seem to downplay Nintendo's achievement to counter Defencerejects downplaying of Microsofts achievement.

Shinobi

VideoMan said:
jeffgordonmeme04.jpg

Been a loooooooong time since I posted on this forum, but :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Finally! An "epic" NPD!

Gran Turismo 5 - HOLY SHIT! :lol First the PSP bomba now the PS3 bomba. At least it did well in Europe.

PS3 - :lol Maybe Sony didn't push Move enough?

Wii - Great as usual.

Xbox 360 - Congrats Microsoft. We may hate it, but Kinect is probably a success. Let's just see if it will hold in the coming months.

DKR - I thought this would either blow up or bomb, it seems that it is right in the middle.

DS - Another month another domination.

Kafel

Banned
The Wii already had a kind of early relaunch with the Balance Board and Wii Fit. The other games made for this accessory didn't seem to sell though.

Stumpokapow said:
which explains the 360

oh wait, right, the 360 had a relaunch

why doesn't the wii have a relaunch

oh wait, that's the last question i asked you

... erm... no. which is why i pointed out that you were arguing for resting on your laurels. but suppose that is your strategy--they've been down yoy consistently until this month, where they tied last year. so... uh...

Why would you pricecut whilst selling better than anything EVER at the price you were at .

who argued for a price cut? the 360's relaunch didn't have a price cut.

so in other words what MS pulled off is a big deal and your initial "what did you expect? ms just pulled off a relaunch, nintendo hasn't used that card yet" point was, as i pointed out, silly.[/QUOTE]lol what
Why are you arguing with me?

Microsoft spent $500m and released a new designed more reliable console

their numbers were poor, of late they have been good.
Nintendo spent nothing more than usual and are keeping pace.
I couldn't give a stuff who sells what, just don't see how people see it as such a success JUST YET. sell at these levels and above for a few years then get excited

I love the response in here. GT5 bomba...three days of sales. One platform.

A couple of months ago Dead Rising 2 on the three platforms same amount of days."HOLY SHIT IT DID AMAZING"

Kevin Butler is the biggest problem for PS3 in America.

They need to kill him off right now.

CaptYamato said:

A couple of months ago Dead Rising 2 on the three platforms same amount of days."HOLY SHIT IT DID AMAZING"

Yeah, it's like people have different expectations of multiplatform sequels and massive first party titles with a proven history of selling consoles and huge quantities of software.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Souldriver said:
Who says they're just resting on their laurels? I mean, the Wii had a rough year but had a gigantic surge (biggest in history) this month. I assume that's thanks to bundles, new colors (for the DS) and new games like DKC. So it's not like Nintendo is doing jack squat to reverse the downward trend. And who knows what they're planning for 2011 with the Wii...

<Poster> The 360's sales uptick is not notable, because they did a relaunch. Nintendo still has that card.
<Stumpokapow> Like people complaining about Wii Play sales, it doesn't make sense to downplay success by saying anyone could do it. If anyone could do it, why don't they?

This is the only point I'm making. If it's so easy to pull off a relaunch, and if it's so unworthy of kudos that Microsoft did, why hasn't Nintendo?

seady

Sony had horrible thanksgiving deal this year for the PS3. Last year when the Slim was new and hot, it was bundled with then-freshly-released titles like God of War Collection, inFamous, Batman AC and LBP GOTY Edition. This year? They bundled the not-new-anymore Slim with old games like Ratchet, Downloadable token for Pixel Junk, ModNation Racers, or some BluRay movies like James Bond/Karate Kid etc.

No price drop, the hardware no longer new (not even a new paint job on the hardware!), and a worse bundle than a year before? Consumers will see that.

Other the other hand, the Wii and 360 had $30-50 giftcard at every stores (on top of the bundled games). The Wii has the red limited edition, the 360 has the Slim model and Kinect-effect.

Fredescu

CozMick said:
Had you asked me that before the Nov 2nd delay I would have said it would be the best selling console exclusive of the month

But once the shit hit the fan with the delay and 3 days of sales, well no!
It was beaten by another console exclusive that also only had three days of sales.

Rhindle said:
I think I did, at E3. Or at least, that NFS would be better reviewed. Which it has been.
Nice. How did people react to that prediction?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
CaptYamato said:

It did? Capcom revised expectations one million down.

A.R.K said:
does MS fucking go buy their own games in bulk from retailers or what? its disgusting when crap like this sell and quality games struggle...I have to salute the xbox community though, they fucking buy every piece of crap that comes out on the 360 no matter the quality...thats loyalty!
:lol

Classic stuff. Finally an honest to God angry fanboy rant. This is just to real to be fake.

And people blaming PS3 sales on Kevin Butler is a little strange. It's quirky, quick, and funny. Albeit it is a little too directed at the competition for the most part. But the commercials fit in with half the PC and Apple commercials I see.

I honestly think it's the games. There was nothing to buy on my PS3 this xmas except GT5 and a couple months ago the Move ... but with no MUST HAVE software.

It's games, not advertising that caused that horrible month for the PS3 (and yes, it is HORRIBLE when your competition sells at least double.

Stumpokapow said:
<Poster> The 360's sales uptick is not notable, because they did a relaunch. Nintendo still has that card.
<Stumpokapow> Like people complaining about Wii Play sales, it doesn't make sense to downplay success by saying anyone could do it. If anyone could do it, why don't they?

This is the only point I'm making. If it's so easy to pull off a relaunch, and if it's so unworthy of kudos that Microsoft did, why hasn't Nintendo?

Because Nintendo's "relaunch" will be releasing a new console, and ultimately now isn't the right time for it?

Amir0x said:
I think while the fucked up launch hurt it a lot (the moving release date was a disaster, clearly), there was not enough time for word of mouth to significantly impact these sales. That would reflect in next month numbers.

Fair enough.

@speevy - Really? I actually bought GT4 :lol More for the collection though. You can't have a Playstation console in your collectino and NOT have a Gran Tursimo game on it. So I got 1 and 2 years later for PS1, and got GT4 for PS2.

Might wait for GT6 on PS3 though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:

Because they don't want to spend half a billion bucks!? ;)

Stumpokapow said:
if you don't care to read the conversation you're responding to, don't respond.

A poster argued that the 360's revival is not noteworthy (or impressive or notable or whatever word you want to use) because they had a re-launch, while Nintendo's hold is noteworthy because they haven't.

I pointed out, by defending Nintendo, that trying to dismiss success by saying "meh, that's EASY" is silly and challenged that if it's so easy, why wouldn't Nintendo have done a relaunch?

The poster responded by arguing that being the hare is better than being the tortoise. You quoted by response to that argument.
I'm defending no one nor sticking it to ms.
Purely saying put it into perspective.
If my company spent $1bn to achieve $1bn of sales we'd be shot, I mean seriously what have you gained.
I reiterate I said only put it in perspective.
Not OMG MS IS SHIT .

Speevy

Banned
butter_stick said:
Because Nintendo's "relaunch" will be releasing a new console, and ultimately now isn't the right time for it?

Fall 2011, otherwise you're coming out as fast as the 360 succeeded the Xbox.

CaptYamato said:

If people are now comparing the Grand Turismo franchise to the Dead Rising franchise then Sony's in more trouble than I would have guessed.

Kusagari

CaptYamato said:

I love the response of someone who has the delusional attitude to compare Dead Rising 2 to GT5.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Fair enough.

@speevy - Really? I actually bought GT4 :lol More for the collection though. You can't have a Playstation console in your collectino and NOT have a Gran Tursimo game on it. So I got 1 and 2 years later for PS1, and got GT4 for PS2.

Might wait for GT6 on PS3 though.

I do, although i did bought GT2 and GTP. I'm not fan of driving.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does the BLOPS number include PC sales? Did MW2s number also include PC sales? I ask cause that is where some of the gain could be picked up if PC numbers got thrown in.

PS: My nephews don't know it, but they are getting a Wii for X-mas. My sis in law didn't buy the console till late last week though so that wouldn't be in this number. They are extremely young, but becoming Mario Kart whores.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
butter_stick said:
Kevin Butler is the biggest problem for PS3 in America.

They need to kill him off right now.
I wouldn't go that far...They do need to use him MUCH less though.

On the plus side I noticed Marcus isn't popping up anymore.

Speevy said:
Fall 2011, otherwise you're coming out as fast as the 360 succeeded the Xbox.

Next year still seems slightly too early, but yeah. For Nintendo they've got a great chance to go "next gen" and completely leave the other consoles playing catch up again in terms of mindshare, and relaunching the Wii in it's current form makes no sense.

Jive Turkey said:
I wouldn't go that far...They do need to use him MUCH less though.

On the plus side I noticed Marcus isn't popping up anymore.

Well it's hyperbole, but when you have Move (supposed to push casuals) and GT5 (graphics heavy game that should be shown as much as possible on screen), Butler is pretty bad.

szaromir

Banned
CaptYamato said:
That's a poor excuse, Halo 3 sold 3.3M in its first week. If a game is truely desirable, launching in the last week of the month is not all that detrimental to the position on the charts. Being outsold by Fable 3 in its second month is not a great sign.

Kenka

Stumpokapow said:

Stumpokapow, many of us who read through your posts know what you're talking about.

Just a bunch of us did not understand at first glance what you meant.

Does this put to rest the idea that PS3 can catch the 360 worldwide? US it's been over for some time, but as things stand, I can't imagine the gap ever closing with US/UK being so wide as it is.

Fredescu

Brettison said:
Does the BLOPS number include PC sales? Did MW2s number also include PC sales? I ask cause that is where some of the gain could be picked up if PC numbers got thrown in.
BLOPS adds both PC and Wii numbers to the mix.

Top Bottom