• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Rainier

Redbeard said:
It's sold around 5 million, right? Assuming ~ $20 in profit, that's roughly $100 million

GT5's budget was reported to be at around $60 million
I'd say they spent at least 100 million on all the TV advertising. The GT5 ad is on multiple channels in pretty heavy rotation. Be cool if a company did up a list of ad dollars (by companies) spent each month. I'd love to read something like that.

Patriotsbball5460 said:
According to Wikipedia it says they have 140 employees, so it's not as if they are small. With more people, their level of detail and overall consistent mindset of perfection could be deteriorated.

If a game takes 5 years to make and is only 20% done at the end of that, sorry, that means they are too small even with 140 people. Only about 30 or so, by my estimates of the end credits, are car modellers. I highly doubt more people are going to harm the quality of the product (see: Ass Creed 2, a better game all round than AC).

I'll take a stab at an analogy - a penis that is 7 inches is not small, it is quite big actually. But for a woman with a massive 9 inch deep cunt with lips flapping about like a Sarlacc - it isn't going to be big enough.

Polyphony Digital is that penis.

szaromir

Banned
Stoffinator said:
But GT5P was also a Digital Download, could of sold a lot more through there too.
So you are looking at 5M sales, some of that pie is digital downloads (revenue of $40 or whatever the price is), retail copies (revenue of ~60% of RRP) and bundles ($0) The average will be significantly below $30/copy.

starsky

Wow. Incredible month for Microsoft and Nintendo and Activision. Congrats!

GT5 didn't do so bad for a racing game, though I'm surprised a multiplatform NFS game can outsell it. I'm sure it will continue to sell in later months, just like Kinect games.

COD 8.4 millions!!!!!!

That'd be cool if we had Kinect numbers -- at least for the alleged top performers (Kinect Sports, Dance Central, and obviously Kinect Adventures). I am also curious about how much of that 2.5 million came from the US.

Edit: Why isn't Kinect Adventures tracked? Aren't other games tracked if bundled?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
CozMick said:
Woah, I never knew F3 took a dive when compared to F2.

Does this reflect to overall sales?
Probably. Since Forza 2 was bundled with every single console for holiday 2007 (which is how I got it).

Forza 3 is bundled with some 250gb consoles this year though.

Although FM3 seemed to do very well in the UK.

KingDizzi

Banned
imtehman said:
soOoOoOo when exactly was the PS3 going to overtake the x360 worldwide again?

world-according-to-america.png

Rainier said:
I'd say they spent at least 100 million on all the TV advertising. The GT5 ad is on multiple channels in pretty heavy rotation. Be cool if a company did up a list of ad dollars (by companies) spent each month. I'd love to read something like that.

Should have spent that money here in EU.

mj1108 said:
Dear Sony,

Thanks for a great NPD thread.

Love,
GAF

110% agree, their loss is our gain. :lol :lol :lol

Wow the GT5 talk still hasnt ended? =/

Was hoping for more on Goldeneye, Bloodstone, Splatterhouse, NBA Jam PS3/360, Black Ops SKU numbers, and Sonic Colors.

Rainier said:
GT5 was reported to be $60 million dollars budget, but in February Kotaku listed it as $80 million which was the 2nd most expensive game made this gen behind GTAIV.

Who knows how much more it went up since then.

I could see it easily pushing the $100 million mark, and that's not including ads, etc.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
szaromir said:
You are. :p
Between bundles, shipping costs, retail margins etc.Sony's revenues from GT5P were much smaller.

Another thing to factor would be the cost of keeping PD's lights on from GT4 through the shipping of Prologue -- in other words the cost of developing Prologue itself. I doubt all of Prologue's margin went to pay for GT5.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
If a game takes 5 years to make and is only 20% done at the end of that, sorry, that means they are too small even with 140 people. Only about 30 or so, by my estimates of the end credits, are car modellers. I highly doubt more people are going to harm the quality of the product (see: Ass Creed 2, a better game all round than AC).

I'll take a stab at an analogy - a penis that is 7 inches is not small, it is quite big actually. But for a woman with a massive 9 inch deep cunt with lips flapping about like a Sarlacc - it isn't going to be big enough.

I said "wow" out lout. :lol

Tiktaalik

Given the fantastic word of mouth Need for Speed has been getting its place in the list doesn't surprise me. I actually thought there'd be a chance of even higher first month sales.

DKCR did really well. It'll likely do very well next month too.

CozMick

Banned
user_nat said:
Probably. Since Forza 2 was bundled with every single console for holiday 2007 (which is how I got it).

Forza 3 is bundled with some 250gb consoles this year though.

Although FM3 seemed to do very well in the UK.

Forza 3 is bundled with literally every single 4gb slim in the country, seriously :lol

Really surprised by the NPD numbers though, F2 was an incredible game, thought the franchise would be booming.

Ashes

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

For fucks sakes... that's just ridiculous. I didn't think I was going to read that today when I entered the npd thread. Definitely one for the books. :lol

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Lol hell of an analogy, but I agree, PD needs to expand, 140 people working is not enough for them, they also need to create something besides GT, GT6 should be a PS4 game, support GT5 with DLC and let Kaz work on the RPG he has said he wanted to work on.

FrankT

Pachter Kinect estimate;

The company probably sold in November about 1.5 million Kinect peripherals in the U.S., Pachter projected in a research note before the NPD report was released, saying about half were part of an Xbox 360 console package.

Hadn't seen that beforehand. Perhaps he will update.

Takao

Banned
Based on that ranking, I was actually expecting 250k for GT5, so I'm pretty surprised (I don't own the game, but it's just so pretty). Now it's time to find out God of War's bombbuster sales...

Curufinwe

bakemono said:
Wow. Incredible month for Microsoft and Nintendo and Activision. Congrats!

GT5 didn't do so bad for a racing game, though I'm surprised a multiplatform NFS game can outsell it.

I'm not surprised that NFS:HP outsold GT5 given how heavily it was discounted, how well it reviewed, the strength of the NFS brand, the relative smallness of the American PS3 userbase, and the fact that NFS:HP was on sale for 12 days compared to four days for GT5.

GT5's sales number still must be disappointingly low for Sony, though.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
belvedere said:
So what's wrong with all of these fucktards?!

:lol

Every single month a game comes out right at the end. Every single month the excuse "It only had X days!!" is used. 90% of the time that game does not sell more in the second month.
In the UK, GT5 sales dropped 60% in the second week and it only had 3 days in the first week.

All that said, I think GT5 has a good chance of being one of those rare games that do increase second month. Simply because it is a December.

jmdajr

good job MS

I remember when people thought you were doomed without the blu-ray

gt5... guess not enough folks were hyped

chris0701

I think it is time to discuss whether GT5 will have considerably higher sales than GT5:p on first years.The sales of GT5:p,in fact, is based on unreasonable production time for GT5.

"prologue can sell 5m,let alone GT5:lol :lol "

belvedere

Junior Butler
user_nat said:
Every single month a game comes out right at the end. Every single month the excuse "It only had X days!!" is used. 90% of the time that game does not sell more in the second month.
In the UK, GT5 sales dropped 60% in the second week and it only had 3 days in the first week.

All that said, I think GT5 has a good chance of being one of those rare games that do increase second month. Simply because it is a December.

Thank you, and actual answer.

:D

I have no idea what to expect for 6 days of sales, but it seems like a stark contrast between the US and GT5 territory (Europe).

Rainier

belvedere said:
Doesn't answer my question.

Fixed for your feelings sake.

:lol
Ok, to answer:

Biggest Sony game of the year
Sales period included the biggest shopping week of the year
Huge TV ad campaign.

Beaten by Donkey Kong in the same period with little to no advertising.

onipex

EviLore said:
Hardware:

Nintendo DS: 1.5 Million (-11.8%)
Xbox 360: 1.37 Million (+68%)
Wii: 1.27 Million (+0.8%)
PS3: 530k (-25%)

Just looking at the hardware numbers it would seem that the success of the 360 is not hurting the Wii during the holiday shopping period. The Wii actually went up in November yoy after being down for most of the year. The 360 does seem to be taking sales from the PS3 during this period though.

There is no way that GT5 will have legs like GT4. PS3 games are much more frontloaded than PS2 games in general (in fact i think that is true for the HD consoles in general).

I think the max range GT5 will reach in the US is between 1-1.5 million. So significantly down on it's predecessors. It will also be way down in Japan.

The only market where it is performing well is Europe. It has started as well as the former games but i think it will end up slightly behind LTD (due to smaller legs).

Considering this is by far the most expensive installment in the series and there has been such a long gap between releases sony really can't be to happy with that.

Also i can't believe how much the goalposts have moved yet again. GT5 has went from being this ultimate system seller to a 400K opening month, in November no less, being pretty good. Not to mention it looks like it has had trouble moving any HW.

Hell we have people in here acting like it was expected that it would be outsold by NFS. No one was predicting that before this month.

I can also guarantee that if i suggested that fable 3 would outsell GT5's lanuch month in it's second month i would have been laughed off.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Rainier said:
Ok, to answer:

Biggest Sony game of the year
Sales period included the biggest shopping week of the year
Huge TV ad campaign.

Beaten by Donkey Kong in the same period with little to no advertising.

According to who, you?

And FWIW, it's marketing pales to previous entries in the series.

chespace said:
Another thing to factor would be the cost of keeping PD's lights on from GT4 through the shipping of Prologue -- in other words the cost of developing Prologue itself. I doubt all of Prologue's margin went to pay for GT5.

PD also had TT in that time and sure GT psp made them some profit .
So they had some other stuff to cover cost .

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
chris0701 said:
I think it is time to discuss whether GT5 will have considerably higher sales than GT5:p on first years again.

"prologue can sell 5m,let alone GT5:lol :lol "

Prologue was at a different time in the PS3's lifecycle and at a different (cheaper) price point. You could argue that these factors could actually keep Prologue at a higher LTD than GT5.

Tiktaalik said:
Given the fantastic word of mouth Need for Speed has been getting its place in the list doesn't surprise me. I actually thought there'd be a chance of even higher first month sales.

DKCR did really well. It'll likely do very well next month too.

NFS is absolutely amazing - I had no intention of buying it, and then a mate brought it around to play... and I was hooked. It is Burnout + NFS + lots of content + fun + autolog + good online multiplayer. It has me excited for the NFS franchise again, and I'm looking forward to the next Criterion entry, and Shift 2.

Ashes1396 said:
For fucks sakes... that's just ridiculous. I didn't think I was going to read that today when I entered the npd thread. Definitely one for the books. :lol

To be fair, they only managed to make 20% of the cars premiums, next to no cars can be 'racing modified', you cannot change wheels on 80% of the car roster (and when you can, the choices are limited at best), there is no livery editor (despite many racers this gen including at least some for of it - it does not need to be on the same level as Forza), the modifications are still stage kits give or take a few exceptions, and the online system borders on shit until they can patch it.

Also, the 7"/9" analogy was legendary... and graphic.

:lol Penis analogy.

All in all, I truly believe GT5 should have been treated with a lot more respect. For fuck's sakes, if car modeling is taking forever, hire more people to do grunt work. Come up with a proper development schedule. Respect deadlines (if there ever were) and release dates.

I am enjoying the hell out of the game, but I feel it should have been much more than what it currently is. Fortunately, there is a lot of room for improvement via patches and updates, but that's hardly the ideal approach.

AdventureRacing said:
Also i can't believe how much the goalposts have moved yet again. GT5 has went from being this ultimate system seller to a 400K opening month, in November no less, being pretty good. Not to mention it looks like it has had trouble moving any HW.

Hell we have people in here acting like it was expected that it would be outsold by NFS. No one was predicting that before this month.

I can also guarantee that if i suggested that fable 3 would outsell GT5's lanuch month in it's second month i would have been laughed off.

You should have gotten used to it by now, this is the generation of goalpost moving.

Top Bottom