• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

ElFly

DMeisterJ said:
No way a game having to sell 10 million copies to be profitable will be greenlit, also GT5: P subsidized GT5's production, more than likely.

I wonder if GT5 P won't end up damaging the game. I bet there were some people out there that got burned on paying for a demo, and simply won't double dip (I had to convince a friend that GT5 hadn't been released yet when he got his PS3 in september).

szaromir said:
Halo Reach caused a sales spike in September 5 years later.

Halo is huge in NA much more than GT as i said GT 5 might moves systems in EU.
After 4 years in NA where the game is on decline and the PS name it was not going to move any systems.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jtyettis said:
No cash breakdown this time around? Wants to see some SW and accessories.

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone actually requesting the dollar sales figures. I would always take a bunch of time to format it nicely in code tags and it seemed to be completely ignored, so I stopped including it. I can bring it back if there's interest.

ElFly said:
I wonder if GT5 P won't end up damaging the game.

I'm sure it did to some extent. The idea of "Prologue" doesn't make sense. IIRC they didn't release most of the previous prologue versions in the US either?

FrankT

EviLore said:
I think this is the first time I've seen anyone actually requesting the dollar sales figures. I would always take a bunch of time to format it nicely in code tags and it seemed to be completely ignored, so I stopped including it. I can bring it back if there's interest.

Always. Thanks. I mean maybe I'm the only one interested in the dollar figures couldn't say.

corkscrewblow said:
I don't even know how they could drop the price. $200 20GB Slim? yea right.

Thinking at least $250 by next fall. You never know, they likely really want to get to $199 next year. Super slim? Ya never know. With BR players at $60 this fall surely they can do some magic by next.

Boney

Banned
EviLore said:
I'd assume there is interest. Especially in the anemic state of today NPD. Personally, I'm curious, but not enough if it's a bother.

EviLore said:

It's not as fun to comment on, but it's interesting to read.

szaromir

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
Halo is huge in NA much more than GT as i said GT 5 might moves systems in EU.
After 4 years in NA where the game is on decline and the PS name it was not going to move any systems.
We only know it now that it's on decline. It's any publisher's job and goal to make people excited about the release, which obviously Sony failed at, expecially given the franchises potential. Which is being discussed.

I think a big part of the story with previous GT titles was that the user base was bigger and kept growing with the consoles, didn't it? I'm not sure when the games got release, but what I'm saying is that I think GT5 will naturally sell less than the previous entries just because the growth of the Playstation is equivalent to other playstation consoles...

Only time will tell =P I'd love to eat crow on this one, though.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm hungry for more Kinect sales figures. It must be approaching 4 million by now.

ElFly said:
I wonder if GT5 P won't end up damaging the game. I bet there were some people out there that got burned on paying for a demo, and simply won't double dip (I had to convince a friend that GT5 hadn't been released yet when he got his PS3 in september).

That's what they get for sticking "Prologue" at the end of the title and then not releasing a proper game for 2 years.

For Gran Turismo, I expect the terribly botched release (last minute delay, then hurried into stores with minimal marketing) had everything to do with those low figures. The series has long long legs though, so it's too early to declare anything like a 'bomb' just yet. It's also a much more Eurasian-centric seller. The game is already profitable anyway thanks to Prologue, but yes, it could have been so much more if Sony just cracked that whip.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I NEED SCISSORS said:
For Gran Turismo, I expect the terribly botched release (last minute delay, then hurried into stores with minimal marketing) had everything to do with those low figures. The series has long long legs though, so it's too early to declare anything like a 'bomb' just yet. It's also a much more Eurasian-centric seller. The game is already profitable anyway thanks to Prologue, but yes, it could have been so much more if Sony just cracked that whip.

And you know this how? Just curious how you've done the math.

gogogow

MikeE21286 said:
I'm sure it did to some extent. The idea of "Prologue" doesn't make sense. IIRC they didn't release most of the previous prologue versions in the US either?
There were no previous prologue versions , there was only one GT4 Prologue (before GT5P) and yes, it wasn't released in the US.

RyanDG

EviLore said:

I'm interested in seeing it. Never really commented on it before so I guess I just took it for granted. ;)

szaromir

Banned
EviLore said:
I was wondering why they weren't included.

ElFly

MikeE21286 said:

Nope, but there was a Prologue for 4 everywhere else. Also, there was a real Gran Turismo game out there when GT4P was released, and only one year between GT4P and the real thing.

GT4 also sold worse than GT3.

szaromir said:
We only know it now that it's on decline. It's any publisher's job and goal to make people excited about the release, which obviously Sony failed at, expecially given the franchises potential. Which is being discussed.

This.

If I had posted last month that PS3 was going to massively decline from last year, and GT5 would sell less than DKC, or Fable in the same month - I'd be laughed right out of here (if not being seriously considered for a trolling ban). For the record - I did not think it would perform poorly at all.

Now however, we know that Sony fucked it up royally, and that GT5 (despite inevitable massive LTD figures) is not nearly as strong as some would expect (particularly given how late in the PS3's life it released - I was expecting it to be at least a little front-loaded).

RBH said:
Bullshit. :lol

There's been a ton of PS3/Move/GT5 ads on TV, much more than Wii and 360.

I have to agree with this. I know we've heard some numbers--"hundreds of millions"--but I honestly have seen more PS3 commercials than Wii and 360 combined.

Redbeard

Banned
chespace said:

It's sold around 5 million, right? Assuming ~ $20 in profit, that's roughly $100 million

GT5's budget was reported to be at around $60 million

FrankT

Alright here we go;

Sales of software rose 4 percent to $1.46 billion, while sales of accessories that include Kinect and Sony’s Move motion- controller jumped 69 percent to $413.3 million.

60% that according to the OP is 360 so $248 million. Alright someone try to figure out the Kinect breakdown heh. Then Pachter needs to give us the bundle breakdown for a the real picture heh.

I'm still waiting to see if someone can point where there was a rumor of Ass Creed Bro doing 800k on 360.

Jtyettis said:
60% that according to the OP is 360 so $248 million. Alright someone try to figure out the Kinect breakdown heh. Then if Pachter needs to give us the bundle breakdown for a the real picture heh.

Does that U$248 million include accessories that were bundled with the console or just standalones?

chespace said:

Well it might not cover all of it but GT5 budget was suppose to be 80 million .
GT5P sold 5 million even if some were bundle i would say they cover at least half the budget if i were low ball it .

chespace said:

It's just the general opinion. See above, math is not my strong point. I highly doubt Kaz went over the $60 million budget that people usually quote (then again, maybe he did lol).

Going forward, what I want to see is Polyphony Digital double, or even triple in size. Assassin's Creed has a team of over 400 on it at peak times, and look what that is getting Ubisoft - strong yearly sales, with no quality sacrifices. I can't see why PD can't do the same, because God knows their 30 or so car modellers aren't cutting the mustard.

plufim

This is not meant to be a comment about the sales numbers of GT5, but about something said over and over in this thread by some people erroneously:

GT5 has had FOUR days of sales, not three. The 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th are all included. Mathematics is not hard.

I know most people have this correct, but my god, even one person getting this wrong is worrying.

chris0701

If you really look back those sales figure of good racing titles on this generation,like Forza 3 and Dirt,you wouldn't think the GT5 sales will be unexpected.

chris0701 said:
If you really look back those sales figure of good racing titles on this generation,like Forza 3 and Dirt,you wouldn't think the GT5 sales will be unexpected.

Is there a comparison of Forza 3/Forza 2 vs. GT5 month 1 floating around in here? That'd be interesting...

CozMick

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

By my math and an estimated price of $30 (between price drops and rrp)

GT5:p made in excess of $150,000,000 WW

And wasn't it estimated that GT5 cost $60,000,000 to develop (including Prologue?)

I could be so terribly wrong. :lol

seady said:
To publisher:

If you don't want your games to be portrayed as a failure, don't release it at the end of the month. The first month sale number will dictate the future perception of a product.

Sincerely Yours,
XX:lolx

---
Seriously, I think it is true. GT5 (and many other games that released at the end of month) will forever be remembered as a 'bomba' because of this.

The thing is GT5 was supposed to be the PS3's Halo. Halo: Reach sold 2 million in a day.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
MikeE21286 said:
Is there a comparison of Forza 3/Forza 2 vs. GT5 month 1 floating around in here? That'd be interesting...
Forza 3 - 175k
Forza 2 - over 200k I think.. can't be bothered checking.

GT5 - 400k

szaromir

Banned
CozMick said:
By my math and an estimated price of $30 (between price drops and rrp)

GT5:p made in excess of $150,000,000 WW

And wasn't it estimated that GT5 cost $60,000,000 to develop (including Prologue?)

I could be so terribly wrong. :lol
You are. :p
Between bundles, shipping costs, retail margins etc.Sony's revenues from GT5P were much smaller.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's just the general opinion. See above, math is not my strong point. I highly doubt Kaz went over the $60 million budget that people usually quote (then again, maybe he did lol).

Going forward, what I want to see is Polyphony Digital double, or even triple in size. Assassin's Creed has a team of over 400 on it at peak times, and look what that is getting Ubisoft - strong yearly sales, with no quality sacrifices. I can't see why PD can't do the same, because God knows their 30 or so car modellers aren't cutting the mustard.

According to Wikipedia it says they have 140 employees, so it's not as if they are small. With more people, their level of detail and overall consistent mindset of perfection could be deteriorated.

FrankT

AranhaHunter said:
I'm still waiting to see if someone can point where there was a rumor of Ass Creed Bro doing 800k on 360.

Does that U$248 million include accessories that were bundled with the console or just standalones?

Standalones. Well I think that is the case. Someone else with better knowledge may be able to comment further.

chris0701 said:

The difference being that GT is Sony's biggest franchise, and despite not being a front-loaded franchise, always did good numbers. In comparison to their competitors offerings this month, it is lower than what many expected, or at the very least, what I thought it would do (or where it would chart).

plufim said:
This is not meant to be a comment about the sales numbers of GT5, but about something said over and over in this thread by some people erroneously:

GT5 has had FOUR days of sales, not three. The 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th are all included. Mathematics is not hard.

I know most people have this correct, but my god, even one person getting this wrong is worrying.

Well with thanksgiving, in reality it is pretty much 3 days. 90% of stores are not open on thanksgiving to buy it

Ezduo said:
Where's the PSP? So low they didn't bother reporting?

Sony doesn't release their figures, other outlets always reveal their numbers one way or another. Don't assume it to be very good

Owzers

caliblue15 said:
Why are people so surprised it was on sale everywhere on black friday...

A lot of games were on sale for Black Friday...but they aren't all up there on the charts.

GT5 didn't do terrible, it's just the perception because it's so low on the charts and because PS3 hardware did do terrrrrrrrrible. Also because GT5 is a hype juggernaut but not a sales juggernaut.

Sony is outpriced and outfunned. Kinect/Arcade bundle and Wii/Wii Sports/New Super Mario Bros blew them out of the holiday's water.

plufim said:

You don't count Thanksgiving.

The only places that is open is Wal-Mart.

KingDizzi

Banned
TOAO_Cyrus said:
The thing is GT5 was supposed to be the PS3's Halo. Halo: Reach sold 2 million in a day.

It's Sony's Halo.........in Yurop. Of course in this thread I have found out that most of those are actually sales from bundles. http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

:lol :lol GT5, still too many for my liking
until we get leaderboards
:lol :lol PS3, can't really say well deserved because I have really enjoyed the console this year
Just WOW at Black Ops and the 360, Wii but mainly at Black Ops. This month must be a nightmare for Sony, they must be sitting down saying "hey, at least it can't get any worse." :/

HOLY SHIT it was beaten by NFS:HP? Goddamn, maybe the $40 pricetag has something to do with it? It's been $40 since I can recall but that is only online as i'm in the UK, for those in the US is it full price in store? Is so HOLY FUCKING CRAP.

Stoffinator

szaromir said:
You are. :p
Between bundles, shipping costs, retail margins etc.Sony's revenues from GT5P were much smaller.

But GT5P was also a Digital Download, could of sold a lot more through there too.

Top Bottom