• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

nib95 said:
I get the feeling that this is the real catalyst to why some of you dislike the inclusion of over arching regional sales talk. But it's just a hunch..

Anyway, any Kinect specific numbers? US, and WW.

Or maybe we don't want people to shit up the thread with vague shipped PAL numbers from a variety of questionable regions. Just a hunch too.

Mojojo

I am sad for the PS3 :(
surely someone gave some insights in this humongous thread, but isn't it weird that no kinect title made the top 10 if it boosted the sales of the 360? or all the merit comes mainly from Black Ops?
I want to know Just Dance 2 numbers !

Afrikan

RBH said:

hmm...pretty big difference

PS2 MLB 2004 $20,576 1484
PS2 MLB 2005 $1,506,436 37853

funny but that is the EXACT same time I switched baseball series, from AllStar Baseball 03/04 to MLB The Show 05.

also, this is so surreal o_O

Lukas said:
xbox sales are pathetic, it should be outselling the PS2 at this point in its lifetime

owell, as long as I keep getting good games I dont care

offshore said:
Sony really need to change the SCEA executive team, more like, as they clearly have no solution to the problem of how to tackle and grow the PS3 in the US.

It's time for Kaz Hirai to start wielding the axe at SCEA.

There is no doubt that Jack Tretton needs to go, he is the George Bush of the game industry. Every success that SCEA had in the past is when Kaz was in control.

TTP said:
He should actually do that in Japan. The whole cross game voice chat thing is probably as damaging to the PS3 as the high price.

I'm probably the only one believing a proper cross game voice chat would have done wonders in "converting" people over free online. I do have the impression the lack of such Live-like functionality turns the "free" proposition into a "poor-man" one in the minds many.

I would say more about Party Chat than cross game chat. There have been more than a few times my friends and I have played a Wii or PS3 game online and used the 360's party chat because of how easy it was to get everyone together.

antonz said:
Maybe Kaz needs to take the axe to himself? He is the head honcho of the brand and there is little positive that has come to the brand under his leaderhip.

Kaz is a good guy and don't blame him... he's only working with the huge shit that Kutaragi took on the Playstation brand. For the mess he was left with, I think he's done a decent job. A lot of the PS3's problems aren't his and he was just brought in to clean up the mess. It's like the old saying goes: "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

offshore

antonz said:
Maybe Kaz needs to take the axe to himself? He is the head honcho of the brand and there is little positive that has come to the brand under his leaderhip.
I think Kaz would point to the PS3 significantly closing the gap to the 360 as a big positive.

But, it's the US performance that it holding the PS3 back from overtaking and staying ahead, and Tretton, Dille, et al have to take responsibilty for that. You know you're in trouble when SCEA were touting YoY growth for month after month, yet they were still being outsold by the Wii and 360, even though most of the time both those consoles were in decline.

unomas said:
So at this point Sony is in big trouble sales wise, but is there really anything they can do besides cut the price? Even if they do what's stopping Microsoft from doing the same? Seems to be a lose lose situation at best. I'd like to see Sony turn it around next gen, but it would seem their $600 pricetag arrogance was a little too much to overcome this gen.

I don't see how their in trouble. Yes their last place but they still sold half a million consoles. And I highly doubt their looking to get a jump on next generation when the ps3 hasn't even peaked yet.

Cels

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I don't see how their in trouble. Yes their last place but they still sold half a million consoles. And I highly doubt their looking to get a jump on next generation when the ps3 hasn't even peaked yet.

Well they are not in DEEP trouble but they are definitely in trouble...500K is not bad in, say, April or some slower month but this is November we're talking about, prime end-of-year shopping season. Besides, if Wii and 360 sold 600K/700K then it wouldn't be so bad for PS3, but we are talking about a much larger gap here.

Meier

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
When you're down 20+% in your 2nd best sales month of the year, it's hard to say you haven't peaked.

AniHawk

I looked at November 2005 just for kicks, and it's amazing how much the bar has risen. 272k for the Gamecube's 4th November, 535k for the PS2's 5th, and 200k for the Xbox's last (because the 360 had just launched).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rated-Rsuperstar said:

....or did it already peak? Sounds like wishful thinking to me, unless some magic happens in '11 I doubt that PS3 will ever make a major dent again. I don't think it still has a peak ahead of it. I'm trying to keep negative here.

Averon

Sony's only in trouble in the sense that they'll be a distant third instead of a moderately distant third. At this point, Sony's probably happy to just be hitting their fiscal targets and keeping the game business out of the red for the rest of the generation. Expecting anything more is unrealistic.

edit: In terms of peaking, they have peaked with a $299 PS3. A $199 PS3 with the lineup they have of 2011 may regain them some momentum.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Kinect helped Microsoft sell +550K consoles vs last year, not too bad for this highly promoted peripheral.

I called it that Uncharted 3's reveal yesterday was preemptive damage control from Sony for weak November sales ;-)

Expected yet impressive U Turn for wii sales in the US. To close its 4th year, Wii is still increasing the gap with its competitors on WW level. This news won't make the headlines, so it's worth to say it.

Despite its 6th years old core technology, DS is still selling as if smart phones didn't exist. Bodes well for the next big thing ready to launch in 3 months.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I thought I heard a rumbling

turns out it was just 3DS on the horizon

can't wait for that beautiful bastard to come in and put the rest to shame, I can only hope it does, we could use the excitement

C4Lukins

Mojojo said:
I am sad for the PS3 :(
surely someone gave some insights in this humongous thread, but isn't it weird that no kinect title made the top 10 if it boosted the sales of the 360? or all the merit comes mainly from Black Ops?
I want to know Just Dance 2 numbers !

Well we know Dance Central was 11, and I bet Kinect Sports was not far behind. Where in a best case scenrio Kinect is around 1.5 million in sales and comes with a game, it is hard to compare it to consoles that have a userbase in the tens of millions in the US. Plus this is November. If it was March that would be a different matter.

Meier said:
When you're down 20+% in your 2nd best sales month of the year, it's hard to say you haven't peaked.

They still have the most expensive console on the market.

I want to add I'm talking price and game quality as well when talking about the console reaching it's full potential.

plufim

Majine said:
GT5 has 3 days in NPD chart, doesn't topple Codblops' 18 days, GAF calls bomba.
FOUR. It had FOUR complete days of sales. 24th, 25th, 26th AND 27th. You can't just take 24 away from 27, as it is from the start of the 24th to the end of the 27th.

Pooya

I post this again, it got buried on the previous page.

UPDATE

Source: Gameindustry.biz
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 417,000
uDraw 190,000

YoY Software sales:
Actvision Blizzard +14%
EA -25%
Take-Two +2%
THQ +29%

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
They still have the most expensive console on the market.

I want to add I'm talking price and game quality as well.

They're likely to have the most expensive console on the market for duration of this generation. Those are the consequences of the hardware decisions they made with the PS3.

plufim said:
FOUR. It had FOUR complete days of sales. 24th, 25th, 26th AND 27th. You can't just take 24 away from 27, as it is from the start of the 24th to the end of the 27th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_%28shopping%29

Basileus777 said:
They're likely to have the most expensive console on the market for duration of this generation. Those are the consequences of the hardware decisions they made with the PS3.

Winning the Blu-ray war came at a cost...

Snuggler said:
....or did it already peak? Sounds like wishful thinking to me, unless some magic happens in '11 I doubt that PS3 will ever make a major dent again. I don't think it still has a peak ahead of it. I'm trying to keep negative here.
PS3's lineup seems a hell of a lot better next year, so hopefully hardware sales will reflect that. Of course, the Wii's performance in 2010 suggests that a great lineup isn't always a guarantee on the hardware front. Although, I do think a lot of that was Nintendo's cumulative fumbles over the course of the generation finally catching up with them, even as the Wii got a string of good releases.

offshore

Snuggler said:
Depends how Sony handle the drop to $199. If the drop to $199 comes with a nice sleek redesign and new form factor, then I think it will really maximize the impact of the price drop and help the PS3 have a very nice peak.

Sony would be wise to look at how MS redesigned the 360, and how MS added a couple of features and made the box look a lot look sexier and sleeker. Of course it was understandable that for the PS3 slim, Sony made everything cheaper to help them start making money, but I don't think the PS3 in its current "alien spaceship landing in crater" form factor is going to help them maximize the bump when that price drop happens.

The PS3 Slim MKII needs to look sexier, and have a coulple of features added to it as well, to tempt exisiting owners of the Slim to upgrade. I doubt you'd get someone like me, the owner of the original 60GB to upgrade though :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
OldJadedGamer said:
I would say more about Party Chat than cross game chat. There have been more than a few times my friends and I have played a Wii or PS3 game online and used the 360's party chat because of how easy it was to get everyone together.

Yeah, that's what I meant with "LIVE-Like" functionality. Of course Cross Game Chat is a requisite for party chat. That I think is the "secret PS3 game" Sony is missing more than anything. And I don't know who else to blame rather than the team responsible for the system software (which is SCEJ). It does come as little surprise that the biggest markets for the 360 are US and UK as English speakers are more willing to chat online compared to others which might find it intimidating and hence this stuff matters the most to them. I think. Not sure. Kinda thinking out loud.

Pride

GrotesqueBeauty said:
PS3's lineup seems a hell of a lot better next year, so hopefully hardware sales will reflect that. Of course, the Wii's performance in 2010 suggests that a great lineup isn't always a guarantee on the hardware front. Although, I do think a lot of that was Nintendo's cumulative fumbles over the course of the generation finally catching up with them, even as the Wii got a string of good releases.

Sony has a strong line up next year, but IMHO not better than this year. This year they had their 2 biggest franchises GOW3 & GTV. Uncharted 3 will be the only title that may get close to selling more than 1m units it's launch month but I wouldnt bet money that it actually does.

Pride said:
Sony has a strong line up next year, but IMHO not better than this year. This year they had their 2 biggest franchises GOW3 & GTV. Uncharted 3 will be the only title that may get close to selling more than 1m units it's launch month but I wouldnt bet money that it actually does.

Well, they have a lot more games out than this year for starters. They can release a AAA title in almost any month next year.

So do people think PS3 will remain third globally?

Pride said:
I personally find Little Big Planet 2, Infamous 2, Uncharted 3, Last Guardian, and Twisted Metal more compelling than this year's offerings, especially taken cumulatively. Also, it seemed like GOW3 suffered from poor word of mouth (even some bar raising graphics and large scale sequences couldn't cover up weak pacing and a ending that was more fizzle than bang), and I'm not sure the franchise was ever a system seller to begin with, in spite of a warm critical reception. Only time will tell how relevant GTV is.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Magic Mushroom said:
Well, they have a lot more games out than this year for starters. They can release a AAA title in almost any month next year.

who cares?

they are not in danger of losing third party support but they are not the king they once were so developers are not going to drop other platforms.

And no matter how it goes from here, this will not change.

Magic Mushroom said:

I highly doubt they will release half their so called 2011 lineup in 2011. Remember how LBP2 and Socom were supposed to carry 2010 along with gt5? Even gt very nearly missed the cut.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Magic Mushroom said:

I thought it was second globally? Well, before this NPD at least. :lol

offshore

Gadfly said:
who cares?
Erm...Sony?

I don't think Sony want it to go down in history that they finished in last place. Nor will Sony want MS gloating that the 360 managed to finish ahead of the PS3, especially when the outcome was meant to be vastly different...

Gadfly

TTP said:
I thought it was second globally? Well, before this NPD at least. :lol
Wouldn't they release a PR saying they are now the best-selling HD console?

offshore said:
Erm...Sony?

I don't think Sony want it to go down in history that they finished in last place. Nor will Sony want MS gloating that the 360 managed to finish ahead of the PS3, especially when the outcome was meant to be vastly different...
What do you mean the "outcome was meant to be vastly different"? The Playstation 3's fate was sealed (in the USA) the minute Sony announced that it would retail for $599.99.

Kenka said:
Unexpected.

Why?

It looks like a really solid peripheral, it should resonate with a decent chunk of the Wii audience, the games look fun (if not quite aimed at GAF) and the marketing appears to have been decent and targetted well. THQ deserve to sell plenty of these.

Kenka said:
He he he. Creamsugar is nowhere to be found.

Mm. Wonder if he was warned off posting numbers? If not, playing cocktease like that is a bit of a shitty move.

Averon

offshore said:
Erm...Sony?

I seriously doubt Kaz or Stringer cares about that. Their only concern is keeping the game business profitable. Would it be nice? No doubt. But if the cost is bleeding money again, they'll gladly take third place.

What will Sony achieve by reaching a slim second place over MS? Third parties aren't going to abandon the PS3 now or make the PS3 their lead development platform for multi-plat titles whether Sony achieve 2nd place or not. It's a fool's errand to chase for the silver medal at the cost of profitability.

Gadfly

offshore said:
Erm...Sony?

At the end of the day, it is all about money, mindshare, and third party support so they can sell even more, etc.

Everything else is relevant only if it helps to sell more and to be honest I don't see a close third or close second makes that much of a difference.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
isn't the uDraw just like a glorified Ipad? It looks interesting but I can't see it being applied to many games at this point.

Didn't Mattrick promise that the 360 would remain ahead of the PS3 worldwide throughout this generation, or something like that? At E3 one year.

Snuggler said:
isn't the uDraw just like a glorified Ipad? It looks interesting but I can't see it being applied to many games at this point.

More like a cut-down, kid/novice-friendly drawing tablet. It will obviously have limited application, but it's a neat peripheral for certain things and I believe it was rumoured that Nintendo were developing something for it as well as THQ.

Kenka

Cosmonaut X said:
Why?

It looks like a really solid peripheral, it should resonate with a decent chunk of the Wii audience, the games look fun (if not quite aimed at GAF) and the marketing appears to have been decent and targetted well. THQ deserve to sell plenty of these.

Marketing was effective ? OK. The thing is that this game is a new IP and a new concept. And as such, could have tanked too. Sales close to 200k are really really good. It probably did outsell a handful of higher-profile launches such as Goldeneye, or GoW PSP or Kinect titles.

Gadfly

timetokill said:
Didn't Mattrick promise that the 360 would remain ahead of the PS3 worldwide throughout this generation, or something like that? At E3 one year.
Really? I have never heard of this.

offshore

Averon said:
I seriously doubt Kaz or Stringer cares about that. Their only concern is keeping the game business profitable. Would it be nice? No doubt. But if the cost is bleeding money again, they'll gladly take third place.
But given they're profitable right now, it behooves Sony to be even more succesful to make even more money.
Gadfly said:
Really? I have never heard of this.
Yeah, he said it at E3 '08.

Prine

Banned
skyfinch said:
molyneux_1104927594.jpg

Peter wishes everyone a Merry Christmas.

:lol :lol

Guilford represent!!!! (Lionhead are right next to me)

I played GT5 and it did nothing for me - glad Fable is doing ok, secures #4

Top Bottom