• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

apana said:
Can't believe how everyone turned on Kevin Butler so quickly, goes from being best thing ever to a massive drain on the company. Need to cut immediately. :lol Anyways I know its probably not the same people but its still interesting how a bad month of sales really gets everyone going.

I think it's because the direction of the ads changed. The ones on TV are more about Sony making a family system than about in jokes and funny game ads.

nib95 said:
This is exactly why you can't narrow mindedly just single out NPD numbers when talking about overall success of sales or products. The only way to get a realistic idea of the success or failure of a product is to look globally. NPD just being a very large chunk of that. It's like some people really do think the US is the only territory in the world that counts when it comes to sales.

Do we have WW figures for Kinect, Move, GT5 and NFS yet?

No, we single out NPD numbers cause this is an NPD thread. You'll notice the vast majority of posters who bring up worldwide numbers and PAL numbers in these threads are not from the US. Most of us want to discuss what is going on in the US market and this is the thread to do it. What you call narrow minded, I call focused. If you want to discuss worldwide sales, make a thread about it and discuss it there.

GavinGT said:
Since there's no worldwide sales thread, the NPD thread automatically becomes the most relevant place to include worldwide sales discussion.

If you want to discuss worldwide sales, there is nothing stopping you from making a thread about worldwide sales (unless you lost your thread creating privileges)

GavinGT said:
Since there's no worldwide sales thread, the NPD thread automatically becomes the most relevant place to include worldwide sales discussion.
Including Sony's ww shipment numbers in a thread designed to talk about sell-through to consumers in one region does no one any favors.

WW figures have their place, in that they can show a particular game/series has a future regardless of how it does here, but they offer very little to the discussion of the North American videogame market. For example, one would not walk into the Media Create thread and say "Black Ops 120k first week? Pfft, 5.6 million first day worldwide. Suck on that Monster Hunter."

nib95

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
No, we single out NPD numbers cause this is an NPD thread. You'll notice the vast majority of posters who bring up worldwide numbers and PAL numbers in these threads are not from the US. Most of us want to discuss what is going on in the US market and this is the thread to do it. What you call narrow minded, I call focused. If you want to discuss worldwide sales, make a thread about it and discuss it there.

If you want to discuss worldwide sales, there is nothing stopping you from making a thread about worldwide sales (unless you lost your thread creating privileges)

This is a message board, topics always leak and diversify, as they should. Gives discussions scope and accuracy. For example, this thread caused a lot of people to suggest GT as a franchise was dead, dying, did terribly etc (not limited to just the US) and now we have shipped numbers of 5.5 million for 12 days.

Puts a completely different perspective on things no? And I don't know if you should use your own opinion to instill what "most" people want to discuss. NPD's are currently the best avenue to discuss mainly NPD focused, but also regionally over arching sales. Then again, that happens in PAL and Japan sales threads too.

There is no Draconian rule (with good reason) that regional sales threads should only have posts specifically related to that exact region or topic. In this thread I've seen everything from discussions on specific game development, sales threads from other generations and dates, sales from different regions, specific publishers, specific platform sales sales etc etc.

AniHawk said:
Actually, it came out in February, and it didn't sell 532k, it sold over 600k.

Ya you are right, I apologize.

I figured it out a little while ago but I thought no one was reading my posts :p. Hell I googled "Gran turismo 4 release date" and it told me March 9, I than googled February NPD and couldn't find one friggin source. I tried to research it before hand but google hates me.

So its pretty obvious next month will reveal whether GT5 did ok or not. It was never huge in the U.S> but 2 mil is still great when adding total sales.

AniHawk

Lion Heart said:
Ya you are right, I apologize.

I figured it out a little while ago but I thought no one was reading my posts :p. Hell I googled "Gran turismo 4 release date" and it told me March 9, I than googled February NPD and couldn't find one friggin source. I tried to research it before hand but google hates me.

March 9 was the European launch date. You can't trust the Germans.

nib95 said:
This is a message board, topics always leak and diversify, as they should. Gives discussions scope and accuracy. For example, this thread caused a lot of people to suggest GT as a franchise was dead, dying, did terribly etc (not limited to just the US) and now we have shipped numbers of 5.5 million for 12 days.

Puts a completely different perspective on things no? And I don't know if you should use your own opinion to instill what "most" people want to discuss. NPD's are currently the best avenue to discuss mainly NPD focused, but also regionally over arching sales. Then again, that happens in PAL and Japan sales threads too.

There is no Draconian rule (with good reason) that regional sales threads should only have posts specifically related to that exact region or topic. In this thread I've seen everything from discussions on specific game development, sales threads from other generations and dates, sales from different regions, specific publishers, specific platform sales sales etc etc.

No, it adds no more perspective at all to NPD numbers. It's well known that GT series sells better in Europe just like Monster Hunter sells great in Japan. What the discussion about GT was if it's lost it's hold on the US market since this is an NPD thread, this is the place to discuss that.

And the rule with talking about US sales in these threads is called being on topic. Discussing other regions is off topic plain and simple. Of course you personally have to gain by not discussing NPD numbers since you do not reside in the country being discussed.

And it does not happen in JPN and PAL sales threads. If it does it is very light but the PAL discussion is very, very heavy in every single NPD thread (again, mostly posted on by our EUR posters) and it gets old to be honest.

hatchx

Banned
Sean said:
I think it's time for Sony to phase out the Kevin Butler ads. GAF seems to like them but even then the discussion is always about Butler himself rather than the game/product being promoted. Judging from these PS3 sales the marketing doesn't seem to be working.

Sony would probably be better off with "generic" gameplay commercials imo.

I personally hate the Kevin Butler and Marcus ad campaigns. I don't think they are funny at all, it really looks like Sony is trying to hard.

GavinGT

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

I know that I could make a thread, but there's hardly enough data for that so it's rarely done at all.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
hatchx said:
I personally hate the Kevin Butler and Marcus ad campaigns. I don't think they are funny at all, it really looks like Sony is trying to hard.

I don't think that they tried to hard, it was a good campaign, but ultimately it didn't do much to boost sales.

at this point, what will? Sony is in a seriously tough spot, they have a fantastic line up of games but they can't seem to get anyone interested in it. Call of Duty 8 will probably single-handedly outsell their entire 2011 exclusive line up.

it's cold out there

nib95

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
No, it adds no more perspective at all to NPD numbers. It's well known that GT series sells better in Europe just like Monster Hunter sells great in Japan. What the discussion about GT was if it's lost it's hold on the US market since this is an NPD thread, this is the place to discuss that.

And the rule with talking about US sales in these threads is calling being on topic. Discussing other regions is off topic plain and simple. Of course you personally have to gain by not discussing NPD numbers since you do not reside in the country being discussed.

And it does not happen in JPN and PAL sales threads. If it does it is very light but the PAL discussion is very, very heavy in every single NPD thread (again, mostly posted on by our EUR posters) and it gets old to be honest.

The latter is probably because NPD results come out afterwards and are the larger more popular threads (where a lot more debate takes place). My advice to you would be to deal with it instead of imposing your own personal opinion and censorship esque take on it. It's not as if the majority of the discussion has been elsewhere, the majority has been on topic. The leakages on topics are as expected and in many ways necessary and desired (a lot of ignorance without it).

There's no WW sales thread because there simply ins't enough data. I find it amusing that of all the things discussed in these often shocking and ridiculous threads, you have the biggest protest towards European sales figures. Lol...Anyway, enough about this. Moving on to the discussion at hand.

from the amount of people playing on my friends list, i would swear GT5 and COD7 were neck and neck in sales on PS3.

crazy.

Sony needs to drop to $149.95, dropping to $199.95 wouldn't be low enough.

Snuggler said:
I don't think that they tried to hard, it was a good campaign, but ultimately it didn't do much to boost sales.

at this point, what will? Sony is in a seriously tough spot, they have a fantastic line up of games but they can't seem to get anyone interested in it. Call of Duty 8 will probably single-handedly outsell their entire 2011 exclusive line up.

it's cold out there

This one was awful. Obnoxious and insulting.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
_Alkaline_ said:
This one was awful. Obnoxious and insulting.

Yeah.

I thought the character was fun, but as many others have said, he only served to validate Sony fan's opinions rather than spread the good word.

I hope to be proven wrong, but it seems that Sony's PS3 is destined to be the girl that no one wants to dance with. They could have the best ads ever, and it wouldn't change the fact. They're doomed to be awkward and hang out by the punch bowl and watch the prettier girls dance until the next round of consoles.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
The-Warning said:
GT5 should have been released at the end of 2009 anyway. It took way too long to develop, to then only get review scores that were less than expected. In the meantime people were playing all sorts of quality racing games. Then when it's finally about to be released, it's botched and delayed again. The amount of times Sony has shot themselves in the foot this gen is ridiculous. Their feet look like swiss cheese.

I think the same way that Sony thought that PS3 will sell no matter what the price, their first and third party exclusive developers thought their software will sell well no matter when it is released.

I find it really strange that KZ2, GT5, FF13 (not an exclusive anymore but nevertheless a reason to buy a PS3) and MGS4 took so long to get released and got delayed months after month and year after year. I remember back in 2006/07, in every damn list war thread Sony fans (Wollan, et.al) would claim all these big franchises will be out by the next holiday season or sooner.

What happened was that just about all of them were delayed and were late big time. When they were eventually released, they didn't sell anywhere close to what Sony GAF thought they would and did not affect the HW sales as much as they expected and in most cases their release was met by a sort of anti-climax of a "fatigued" fan base. Well, except GAF that always hypes everything Sony.

GT5, MGS4 and FF could do wonders for Sony if they were released in the first year.

Cipherr

nib95 said:
This is a message board, topics always leak and diversify, as they should. Gives discussions scope and accuracy.

No, nibs is does NOT add scope and accuracy in this case. Worldwide numbers discussion does absolutely nothing but add a bunch of random estimates, BS sources, the random Junior with chart zz, and Shipped vs Sold to retailers nonsense that inflates over time into a clusterfuck of nonsense.

The way it works now is best. Noone is saying you cant at all mention other regions, but keeping it to a minimum is absolutely the best way. And noone but someone looking to squirm and spin prefers it any other way. Once we start talking worldwide the number of variables inflate and it becomes more difficult to remain accurate.

GavinGT said:
I know that I could make a thread, but there's hardly enough data for that

Funny that.

nib95 said:
The latter is probably because NPD results come out afterwards and are the larger more popular threads (where a lot more debate takes place). My advice to you would be to deal with it instead of imposing your own personal opinion and censorship esque take on it. It's not as if the majority of the discussion has been elsewhere, the majority has been on topic. The leakages on topics are as expected and in many ways necessary and desired (a lot of ignorance without it).

There's no WW sales thread because there simply ins't enough data. I find it amusing that of all the things discussed in these often shocking and ridiculous threads, you have the biggest protest towards European sales figures. Lol...Anyway, enough about this. Moving on to the discussion at hand.

I think you need to deal with the fact that nobody gives a shit about European sales in a NPD thread. People have already admitted that there is no relevant sales data so everything ends up being speculation. Damage controlling the abysmal PS3 sales month after month with European sales based on conjecture got old in 2008.

unomas

Banned
So at this point Sony is in big trouble sales wise, but is there really anything they can do besides cut the price? Even if they do what's stopping Microsoft from doing the same? Seems to be a lose lose situation at best. I'd like to see Sony turn it around next gen, but it would seem their $600 pricetag arrogance was a little too much to overcome this gen.

nib95

Banned
FirstInHell said:
I think you need to deal with the fact that nobody gives a shit about European sales in a NPD thread. People have already admitted that there is no relevant sales data so everything ends up being speculation. Damage controlling the abysmal PS3 sales month after month with European sales based on conjecture got old in 2008.

I get the feeling that this is the real catalyst to why some of you dislike the inclusion of over arching regional sales talk. But it's just a hunch..

Anyway, any Kinect specific numbers? US, and WW.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
unomas said:
So at this point Sony is in big trouble sales wise, but is there really anything they can do besides cut the price? Even if they do what's stopping Microsoft from doing the same? Seems to be a lose lose situation at best. I'd like to see Sony turn it around next gen, but it would seem their $600 pricetag arrogance was a little too much to overcome this gen.

IOjSf.jpg

OT, but I made you a less blurry avatar

C4Lukins

seady said:
To publisher:

If you don't want your games to be portrayed as a failure, don't release it at the end of the month. The first month sale number will dictate the future perception of a product.

Sincerely Yours,
XX:lolx

---
Seriously, I think it is true. GT5 (and many other games that released at the end of month) will forever be remembered as a 'bomba' because of this.

The otherside of that, is that you get the entire next month to show some legs just as Fable 3 did. And Fable 3 did it going into November where you get the highest profile releases of the year, (multiplatform COD, Need For Speed, Assassins Creed, and big single platform launches like GT5, Donkey Kong, and Just Dance 2). GT5 will get an entire month of sales with zero big releases to show its legs. I think it will do well. Certainly top 10 again.

As for my monthly analysis. Very impressive for MS. Nintendo also great sales, but I think last December was really the first month that the Wii was not supply constrained, and despite their increase over last November, I do think that they would have done better last November if the Wii was readily available. Those December numbers were just off the chart insane, and while I doubt they can repeat that success, even with all of the MS excitement I doubt they can beat the Wii in December. Even if they could, I think they may be supply constrained for the first time in a long time. I cannot find a single available 360 hardware SKU on Amazon at this moment. Of course that is Amazon, but assuming the 360 is short in supply right now, I doubt they can just throw a couple of million units out there into retail which is what they would need to defeat the Wii.

For Sony, not so good. On the Hardware side we are looking at pre 2009 levels of interest. I do not think the GT5 doom and gloom is as bad as people are making it out to be. It was a surprise launch of a giant franchise, and was marketed poorly. Butler works well for "It only does everything" but when you look at individual games like GT5 they need to me marketed in the way that a Halo or Gears have been marketed in the past. You need to focus the marketing of those games in a very specific and individual way, and not make them an offshoot of a repetitive ad campaign.

Also props to Ubisoft. They started out strong this generation on the 360, and then virtually disappeared. This Holiday they have two of the biggest games out there while EA and Take Two are mostly absent from the discussion. And fuck wow at those COD numbers. I am burned out on the franchise and hate Activision but that 8 plus million number is just freaken crazy. Fable 3 is the biggest surprise for me, because it beat off that November onslaught in its second month to chart quite well again.

seady

Sony really need to redo their line of ads. The "PS3 only does Everything" is getting very very old, so is the unfunny Kevin Butler.
Sony is going for the Ferrari or Prada of high-end video game console, yet Kevin Butler's ad is so childish and fanboyish.

Imagine if Nintendo is still doing the boring Japanese Men "Do you want to play?" ad? I would be vomiting already.

seady said:
Sony really need to redo their line of ads. The "PS3 only does Everything" is getting very very old, so is the unfunny Kevin Butler.

Imagine if Nintendo is still doing the boring Japanese Men "Do you want to play?" ad? I would be vomiting already.

Agreed. It doesn't bring in new customers and only appeals to the folks who already own the system and would be buying the advertised games anyway.

seady said:
Sony is going for the Ferrari or Prada of high-end video game console, yet Kevin Butler's ad is so childish and fanboyish.

how long has the KB campaign lasted? 2 years? thats not THAT long. It's definitely time for Sony to start considering new campaign ideas.

BTW is Marcus PSP done? I haven't seen a Marcus commercial in a month or so.

offshore

seady said:
Sony really need to redo their line of ads..
Sony really need to change the SCEA executive team, more like, as they clearly have no solution to the problem of how to tackle and grow the PS3 in the US.

It's time for Kaz Hirai to start wielding the axe at SCEA.

antonz

offshore said:
Sony really need to change the SCEA executive team, more like, as they clearly have no solution to the problem of how to tackle and grow the PS3 in the US.

Maybe Kaz needs to take the axe to himself? He is the head honcho of the brand and there is little positive that has come to the brand under his leaderhip.

PSP even with all the super sales etc apparently wasnt good enough to even have a pr hype of mega sales increase etc. PS3 is down 25% in the US during the biggest shopping season of the year.

If anything its time for Sony to evaluate everyone in the Playstation Department.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
offshore said:

He should actually do that in Japan. The whole cross game voice chat thing is probably as damaging to the PS3 as the high price.

I'm probably the only one believing a proper cross game voice chat would have done wonders in "converting" people over free online. I do have the impression the lack of such Live-like functionality turns the "free" proposition into a "poor-man" one in the minds many.

Top Bottom