• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Ignoring worldwide numbers of course since this is an NPD thread... what is the current install base in the US for the big three home systems? Donny?

Shurs

KingDizzi said:
Should have paid attention during maths class son, 3.64 million copies shipped if it's bang on 60 million. http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Impressive either way, it's still a monster franchise in EU. Silly numbers like 550k shipped in franchise and the like, it's not very big in the UK however once you go to the other European countries it's a biggie.

They're claiming 61.41 million.

KingDizzi said:
Impressive either way, it's still a monster franchise in EU. Silly numbers like 550k shipped in franchise and the like, it's not very big in the UK however once you go to the other European countries it's a biggie.

Again, this is an NPD thread so who cares? Harping on numbers from other regions in an effort to try to ignore NPD numbers gets old super fast. This is an NPD thread. Not a PAL thread.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
zero_suit said:
Original Gameboy? No clue, but I know the GBA was below both the DS and PS2.
Advanced.

For some reason I thought it was ahead of the PS2. Guess not.

edit: Wiki says 41.6m in "Americas". So yep.. less.

zero_suit

OldJadedGamer said:
Ignoring worldwide numbers of course since this is an NPD thread... what is the current install base in the US for the big three home systems? Donny?

Not Donny, but here's up to the Oct. NPD:

Wii – 30,292,231
Xbox 360 – 21,840,075
PlayStation 3 – 13,472,196

nib95

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Again, this is an NPD thread so who cares? Harping on numbers from other regions in an effort to try to ignore NPD numbers gets old super fast. This is an NPD thread. Not a PAL thread.

It's not about ignoring NPD numbers, but trying to be less narrow minded to get an overall more accurate idea of sales. Just because it's an NPD thread, doesn't mean other aspects of sales can't be discussed. In the same way that other regions are often discussed in PAL or Japan sales threads.

KingDizzi

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

I'm trying to make sense of the numbers, calm down oldjaded, he said 60 million was the number and then I made sense of where most have been shipped, in this case the EU. Calm yourself, it's the first time EU has been brought up since WW numbers were mentioned. Deep breath

Shurs said:
They're claiming 61.41 million.

Already shipped more than GT5:p then or at least there abouts, have they broken down the regions then? The majority will have been shipped in this place outside America, at least 400k shipped in Americas.

Truespeed

EmCeeGramr said:
truespeed you do realize a former turn 10 employee responded to your post right

Wait, what? He's not the community manager at T10 anymore? Were there reductions at T10? Damn, those calculations.

Cipherr

zero_suit said:
As of the October 2010 NPD:

Lifetime-to-date

DS – 42,942,258

With November numbers, that puts it at ~44.5 million. The PS2 wasn't much higher than 45 million before it got delisted, and the DS is looking like it'll do 3+ million in December so.....

Damn that was the DS's last hurdle wasnt it? To outsell the PS2 and become the highest selling gaming platform of all time. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Shurs

KingDizzi said:
I'm trying to make sense of the numbers, calm down oldjaded, he said 60 million was the number and then I made sense of where most have been shipped, in this case the EU. Calm yourself, it's the first time EU has been brought up since WW numbers were mentioned. Deep breath

Already shipped more than GT5:p then, have they broken down the regions then? The majority will have been shipped in this place outside America, at least 400k shipped in Americas.

Yes, they've already shipped more than Prologue. It's all broken down in the press release. It's in a graph so it doesn't copy and paste well.

GavinGT

Banned
Redbeard said:
I'm well aware that Microsoft has succeeded more with Kinect in the US and Move has succeeded more in Europe. But at the end of the day, Sony hasn't spent anywhere near as much as Microsoft when it comes to marketing the device overall.

Kinect's short term success in the US is all about marketing. I don't see how it's any 'braver' than when Sony tried their first shot at controllerless gaming with the EyeToy. What's 'brave' about it is the push it got, not the fact that the tech is somehow nebulously more appealing or new.

Props to Microsoft for giving it a good push. We'll see how long it lasts. But ultimately there is an opportunity cost here, and Microsoft has spent a hefty amount of money promoting Kinect, and by extension, the Xbox brand.

Please, commercials are not the mechanism driving Kinect sales. It's seeing it in person, whether at a demo kiosk or a friend's house, that's getting people to plunk down $150 on this unproven tech.

Shurs said:
Yes, they've already shipped more than Prologue. It's all broken down in the press release. It's in a graph so it doesn't copy and paste well.

I'm so glad Sony delayed the launch until they had like 5 million units in stores. Wouldn't want to turn anyone away.

kswiston

GavinGT said:
Please, commercials are not the mechanism driving Kinect sales. It's seeing it in person, whether at a demo kiosk or a friend's house, that's getting people to plunk down $150 on this unproven tech.

I actually thought kinect would bomb at $150 (before the announcement of their ad campaign), so kudos to Microsoft for pulling off a successful product launch for such a pricey peripheral.

PhatSaqs said:
Wow so Fable III has done at least a million in the US? Thats a shock to me.

Fable 2 was over 1M in its first two months as well.

markom58

Neo Member
Redbeard said:
It speaks more to the effectiveness of $500,000,000

Nope. Spin all you want but MS went the right direction with Kinect and Sony didnt with the Move. 840,000 smack down difference in 1 month.

GavinGT

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
It's tracking almost identically to Fallout 3.

I also don't see a situation where bad worth of mouth hurts New Vegas but elevates Fable 3.

At first glance Fable III is a lot more polished
as long as you don't try to hold someone's hand oh my god!

Redbeard

Banned
markom58 said:
Nope. Spin all you want but MS went the right direction with Kinect and Sony didnt with the Move. 840,000 smack down difference in 1 month.

It's comments like these that blur the line between what we're really talking about in this thread. US sales? Worldwide sales? What? How can you make a definitive statement about the direction of an entire peripheral based on one territory and one month's sales of the console. And in terms of peripheral sales, all we know is that Kinect stands at 2.5 million sold to consumers and Move stands at 4.1 million sold to retailers with Kinect having an allotted 500 million marketing budget and Sony's marketing budget unknown but admittedly much less according to Peter Dille. Furthermore, is the 'direction' of a console right or wrong on the sole basis of sales? Kinect can have all the success in the world this holiday season in the US, but there's realistically no way it will allow the 360 to outsell the PS3 for the fiscal year in terms of world wide sales.

Regardless, Kinect more than likely had some effect this month, but let's not forget Call of Duty's biggest opening ever, and as was seen last year, the CoD effect on the 360 can be gigantic. 360 did better than the PS3 in November thanks to CoD and ended up getting outsold in December of last year. Outside of CoD, Microsoft also had some very good black friday promotions. There are other factors that contributed to Microsoft's impressive numbers this month.

Lebron said:
I need something to do over break. I want to be king.

It's a fun game. I don't understand the hate. Yeah, sure, the battle system isn't as complex as Dragon Age, and it's not as long as Final Fantasy XIII, but the game is damn charming and, for reasons unknown, simply fun. I say give it a go.

Lebron

RBH said:
I don't believe it. Everything seems so.......civil? I guess all that came to an end come Fall 2005 :p

It's a fun game. I don't understand the hate. Yeah, sure, the battle system isn't as complex as Dragon Age, and it's not as long as Final Fantasy XIII, but the game is damn charming and, for reasons unknown, simply fun. I say give it a go.
Oh, I plan to. Don't know if I'll finish it all, since the king/queen parts looked kind of boring from what I saw. But we'll see.

Speevy

Banned
Creating a perception of some gaming lifestyle that doesn't exist is this generation's get out of jail free card.

Unfortunately Sony drew last.

nib95

Banned
Redbeard said:
It's comments like these that blur the line between what we're really talking about in this thread. US sales? Worldwide sales? What? How can you make a definitive statement about the direction of an entire peripheral based on one territory and one month's sales of the console. And in terms of peripheral sales, all we know is that Kinect stands at 2.5 million sold to consumers and Move stands at 4.1 million sold to retailers with Kinect having an allotted 500 million marketing budget and Sony's marketing budget unknown but admittedly much less according to Peter Dille. Furthermore, is the 'direction' of a console right or wrong on the sole basis of sales? Kinect can have all the success in the world this holiday season in the US, but there's realistically no way it will allow the 360 to outsell the PS3 for the fiscal year in terms of world wide sales.

Regardless, Kinect more than likely had some effect this month, but let's not forget Call of Duty's biggest opening ever, and as was seen last year, the CoD effect on the 360 can be gigantic. 360 did better than the PS3 in November thanks to CoD and ended up getting outsold in December of last year. Outside of CoD, Microsoft also had some very good black friday promotions. There are other factors that contributed to Microsoft's impressive numbers this month.

This is exactly why you can't narrow mindedly just single out NPD numbers when talking about overall success of sales or products. The only way to get a realistic idea of the success or failure of a product is to look globally. NPD just being a very large chunk of that. It's like some people really do think the US is the only territory in the world that counts when it comes to sales.

Do we have WW figures for Kinect, Move, GT5 and NFS yet?

seady

miladesn said:
EA

EA games that we have NPD numbers for them, all I could find.

Jan
Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360) / Electronic Arts / 572,100
Feb
# Mass Effect 2 (360) / Electronic Arts / 246,500
# Dante's Inferno: Divine Edition (PS3) / Electronic Arts / 242,500
# Dante's Inferno (360) / Electronic Arts / 224,700
March
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360) – 825.5K
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3) – 451.2K
April
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360) - 166K
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3) - <100K
May
Skate 3 (360) - 133K
June
------
July
# NCAA Football 2011 (360) – 368K
# NCAA Football 2011 (PS3) – 298.8K

August
# Madden NFL 11 (360) – 920.8K
# Madden NFL 11 (PS3) – 893.6K
NCAA Football 11 (360) - 87K

Sep
NHL 11
FIFA Soccer 11 >225k

Oct
Medal of Honor **(360, PS3, PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS - Over 1 Million
FIFA Soccer 11 (PS3, 360, WII, PS2, PSP, NDS, PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS
Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, WII, PS2, PSP) ELECTRONIC ARTS >225k

Nov
NFS >400k
Madden 11 >430k

--------------------------
Total: > ~8259.6k

[/B]
Activision

Nov
Call of Duty Black Ops 8.4m

I feel bad for EA now, they deserve much better sales :| .

That is very very very sad. EA games are much better...

Pride

lawblob said:
Black Friday is the highest three days of sales in the entire year.

Not true. It's a myth that Black Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year. The biggest shopping day of the year in the US is right around 12/16 (usually the Saturday closest to that day).

FateBreaker said:

Yeah the game is ace... Just the ending is a bit weak. And it isn't short... 27 hours for me.

Cipherr

Redbeard said:
It's comments like these that blur the line between what we're really talking about in this thread. US sales?

There is no blur. On GAF we have, and have always had, EU sales threads Japanese Sales threads and North American sales threads.

In the NPD thread we discuss the US sales. The only blur that there can be is the blur you apply to the discussion yourself.

Pride

Amir0x said:
Really, I think it's fair to say GT5 underperformed, both based on franchise history and expectations, but that it is NOT fair to say that it is a 'bomba.'

It is a symptom of its bungled launch, a belated launched advertising campaign which had to compensate for the last-minute release date announcement and a decline PlayStation brand. It will take next month's numbers to really have suitable context for these numbers.

For now, the only objective assessment is "Sony bungled the launch of GT5."

You seem to be disregarding GT5's lower than expected review scores.

Cipherr said:
There is no blur. On GAF we have, and have always had, EU sales threads Japanese Sales threads and North American sales threads.

In the NPD thread we discuss the US sales. The only blur that there can be is the blur you apply to the discussion yourself.

Agree its a usa sales thread i dont see what bringing in eu or japan sales numbers has to do with a USA sales thread.

Redbeard

Banned
Cipherr said:

Okay, so if we're strictly discussing US sales, it makes absolutely no sense to make a blanket statement about the state of an entire platform or peripheral like many are doing.

NPD is a discussion about US sales, but that doesn't mean discussion excludes how the US sales are relevant to a greater whole.

This is definitely a disastrous month for Sony. The price of XB360 seems to have met the "trigger point" as the sales growth continues even months after the price cut, and this is definitely hurting PS3 sales as they are directly competing against each other. I wonder if there is still anything Sony can do to change the situation, at least in the US?

GavinGT

Banned
Cipherr said:

Since there's no worldwide sales thread, the NPD thread automatically becomes the most relevant place to include worldwide sales discussion.

AniHawk

Lion Heart said:
Actually it came out in March and it didn't sell 600k it sold 532k

March 2005
2) Top-selling games by platform (Retail sales $)

PS2 Title Publisher Projected $'s Projected Units
1 GRAN TURISMO 4 Sony $ 26,165,740 532,219
2 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 2 Electronic Arts $ 12,891,970 261,974
3 DEVIL MAY CRY 3 Capcom $ 12,467,640 252,006
4 GOD OF WAR Sony $ 10,612,730 214,028
5 MVP BASEBALL 2005 Electronic Arts $ 9,917,162 337,736

Actually, it came out in February, and it didn't sell 532k, it sold over 600k.

Top Bottom