• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Baki

FoneBone said:
Yeah, it is way too early to call that one. Especially as Kinect's ability to maintain momentum longer-term is as yet unproven.

Agree with the second sentence, but the first? Seems like (back around E3) most people thought it would bomb outright once we caught wind of the pricing (and I was one of them, so I'll eat crow there).

Lets not forget the the Wii is probably kicking the bollocks out the Kinect (and to a lesser extent the 360) on a worldwide basis.

Lebron

Lion Heart said:
Damn guess I missed a lot of threads because all I heard was how successful its going to be, at least compared to move. I'll go back and look through some old threads.
Trust me, a lot didn't start moving the goal post till Fall. Before that, it was a lot of doom and gloom from a good number of posters. Again, I participated in some of it, mostly on the tech side not actual sales.

Looking through that 2004 NPD thread is so depressing. I figure it was like that since everyone new where everything stood and had accepted it. So civil, but I do enjoy the wackiness of this gen. The reusing of arguments, moving of goal posts, etc. Always brings a good laugh, but it has made a lot of us a bit more touchy. We all should be coming together to stop the Activision/Ubisoft spamming! Kidding aside, Black Ops is actually decent. Surprised me. Haven't given AC:Brotherhood a try yet.

see5harp

Stoffinator said:
I would still take Sports Champions over anything else on Move or Kinect personally.

Yea I have Sports Champions and while I love certain events like Ping Pong and Disc Golf, the complete package is lackluster.

Vinci

Danish
Lebron said:
Trust me, they didn't start moving the goal post till Fall. Before that, it was all doom and gloom for the most part. Again, I participated in some of it, mostly on the tech side not actual sales. GAF once again was wrong and has eaten crow.

It'd be nice if people stopped lumping all of GAF together. Not going to happen, of course, but it would be nice.

Vinci said:
It'd be nice if people stopped lumping all of GAF together. Not going to happen, of course, but it would be nice.

That sounds like something GAF would say.

not sure about that

If the sell through number is 2.5 million, where are the remainder of them if not in Europe?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
tzare said:
considering US is MS biggest market, and this is the best selling month of the season, and it was the month Kinect launched, i really doubt that those 2,5 million sold are real.
I mean, 700k kinect bundles, plus standalone kinect in the country that has aprox half of the 360s sold in the world....

USA is slightly more than 50% of the 360's market. According to Pachter Kinect sold 1.5 million between bundles and stand alone, thats 60% of world wide kinect sales. Seems fine to me.

LM4sure

Banned
evilromero said:
I had a feeling uDraw when do well. It's the perfect hardware device for the Wii crowd. I was almost enticed by the Pictionary title.

I still don't 'get' the Pictionary game. So your clue shows up on screen and everyone else is supposed to look away so they don't see it? Sounds kind of dumb. Why not just play the regular Pictionary in a box?

Lebron

Vinci said:
But where is the fun in that? But yeah, I know I shouldn't do that. Bad habit. I'll edit.

LegoDad

RedStep said:
So, assuming you spent 60 seconds asking every one of them whether they had a 360 (and receiving a response), you wasted 5 hours of your day asking an irrelevant question of every single buyer?

We aren't about shoving the console down someone's throat, I get to know the customer and match the item that best fits their lifestyle along with what they want. You can then add accessories, protection plans, xbox live cards, etc. Takes a $299 -$399 kinect bundle to over $500 easy. A store doesn't make any money off consoles themselves...

PSGames

Lebron said:
Trust me, they didn't start moving the goal post till Fall. Before that, it was all doom and gloom for the most part. Again, I participated in some of it, mostly on the tech side not actual sales. GAF once again was wrong and has eaten crow.

Let me tell you man. I was out of town for E3 and didn't get to check GAF for a few days. Upon my return, after being blown away by Kinect in person, I was literally shocked by the Kinect trolling on this forum. I tried defending it and was flamed non-stop. I was a MS shill. I wasn't a 'real gamer'. I got Juniored. I got banned for "Tiresome Kinect apologism". The main sentiment was that Kinect would bomb straight out of the gate and Microsoft would be forced out of the videogame industry because of it. It was fucking insanity.

Lebron

tzare said:
considering US is MS biggest market, and this is the best selling month of the season, and it was the month Kinect launched, i really doubt that those 2,5 million sold are real.
I mean, 700k kinect bundles, plus standalone kinect in the country that has aprox half of the 360s sold in the world....
You do realize they can track the numbers right? If they say they sold that much to consumers, then they sold that much.

Kafel

Banned
caliblue15 said:
Yes. Extended protection plan was an easy sell alllllll day long, highest % ever. :D

bullshit-detector-1249628303d.gif

clashfan

tzare said:

Fight on!

PSGames said:
Let me tell you man. I was out of town for E3 and didn't get to check GAF for a few days. Upon my return, after being blown away by Kinect in person, I was literally shocked by the Kinect trolling on this forum. I tried defending it and was flamed non-stop. I was a MS shill. I wasn't a 'real gamer'. I got Juniored. I got banned for "Tiresome Kinect apologism". The main sentiment was that Kinect would bomb straight out of the gate and Microsoft would be forced out of the videogame industry because of it. It was fucking insanity.

There are some folks on this board who would come to that conclusion were one of the microsoft entertainment execs to show signs of a cold.

Haunted

I'm not worried at all about the PS3, to be honest.

PS3 has an amazing software lineup for next year. Sure, it may look like Nintendo has found success with the casuals and that Microsoft is far ahead in the US for now, but surely that's also because they're much cheaper than the "premium" PS3. With games like Killzone, Infamous, Uncharted, Ratchet&Clank, God of War, WKC and Gran Turismo 5, I really don't see how the PS3 could possibly lose next year. Truly,
will be the year of the PS3.

Vinci

Danish
Lebron said:
You do realize they can track the numbers right? If they say they sold that much to consumers, then they sold that much.

What's your problem, man? He's talking about 300 out of, what, some huge number right? Who cares. He works in a very special place in the world, don't kill it for him.

EDIT @ Haunted: Good work, you got at least one with that shot.

LegoDad

Haunted said:

PS3 has an amazing software lineup for next year. Sure, it may look like Nintendo has found success with the casuals and that Microsoft is far ahead in the US for now, but surely that's also because they're much cheaper than the "premium" PS3. With games like Killzone, Infamous, Uncharted, Ratchet&Clank, God of War, WKC and Gran Turismo 5, I really don't see how the PS3 could possibly lose next year. Truly,

Don't you get tired of saying the amazing software lineup for the next year, seems like we have been saying that for what 3 years in a row now.

tzare

elrechazao said:
based on what, denial of reality?
lack of Euro sales numbers?

You do realize they can track the numbers right? If they say they sold that much to consumers, then they sold that much
Not sure if they can track those numbers. And i usually don't believe PR. Not saying kinect won't sell , just not believeing those numbers.

caliblue15 said:
Don't you get tired of saying the amazing software lineup for the next year, seems like we have been saying that for what 3 years in a row now.
That's because every year is the year of the PS3. The US consumers didn't get the memo, though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gary Whitta said:
When MS first showed Natal at E3 I said "Microsoft didn't just win this E3, they just won this generation" and got a ton of shit for it in that E3 thread. Now here we are in the first holiday season since it came out and MS has the #1-selling system, the only one showing growth (and massive growth at that), outselling Wii, which has become stagnant, and straight-up BEASTING PS3 and the Move bundle.
You're wrong, 3DS won E3. And surprisingly in the NPD spin you could see David Dennis mention the 3DS: this implies Microsoft acknowledges its "next big thing" status.

It took a gigantic budget and a launch of a structuring technology (time will say if it was a good decision or not for Microsoft) to outsell wii by 100K in x360's most dominant region.

Success it is.
But Kinect just won this generation... it is not.

FrankT

Saiyar said:
USA is slightly more than 50% of the 360's market. According to Pachter Kinect sold 1.5 million between bundles and stand alone, thats 60% of world wide kinect sales. Seems fine to me.

60/40 is probably about right, but is that 800k an estimate on the accessory side? I didn't think he got that data just estimates. Anyhow, if that is correct it means it did $120 million of the $249 million MS did in accessories for the month. Sound about right?

This in the context of this as well;

The Xbox 360 Kinect was the best-selling accessory item in November. With one month of sales, it's the top-selling accessory item in terms of dollar sales on a year-to-date basis."

Hard to say though as I have no comparison on a dollar figure overall for last year in accessories for MS.

Edit: I do see the overall total accessories number at $256 million last year;

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4214/npd_behind_the_numbers_november_.php

Haunted said:

Well quality wise sure all of those games are awesome and PS3 owners will have loads to play.

But none of those are shown to help sell the console to new buyers. GT5 + black friday deals +holiday shopping should have given PS3 a better showing this month.

And none of those series (other than Uncharted maybe) have shown to have much effect on month to month new PS3 buyers.

Talking purely sales-wise Sony can't be happy with their reduced forward momentum. They're down 1/4th from last year, right? Ugly numbers.

Azih

Sony's problem is simple. They're stuck with a premium price offering in a market that is budget conscious. That's bad in and of itself but it also means that they are price locked out of the mainstream at a point when the mainstream has never been more important and a time when Nintendo has already established itself there and Microsoft has just made a strong push.

LegoDad

Azih said:
Sony's problem is simple. They're stuck with a premium price offering in a market that is budget conscious. That's bad in and of itself but they're also price locked out of the mainstream at a point when the mainstream has never been more important and a time when Nintendo has already established itself there and Microsoft has just made a strong push.

This and the 1 year lead. Don't know how many people say they want a 360 because their friends have one, everyone wants to play with their friends even if they like the PS3 instead..

charsace

Not surprised by GT numbers. Racing games aren't as big as they used to be and its been so long since a GT that other series have stolen their thunder.

Baki

For the North American market, the MOVE has always been too me-too. Couple this with an inferior marketing campaign to Kinect (which looks and feels "different" from the Wii) and we have a good reason why the PS3 and the MOVE failed to push significant hardware this month. (I guess this also establishes that the fate of both consoles (X360 and PS3) are tied to each other.)

So was SCE wrong to go with the MOVE? Well here is my assessment (but in-short no).

Their mistakes were:

(1) Software. It wasn't unique enough. MS were lucky enough to get away with their offerings because the actual hardware seemed different.

(2) MOVE bundle price. Sorry but $399 is too much for a mainstream product. $299 would have been a great price.

(3) No good bundles. They needed to increase the value proposition of their products by offering games. A good start would be old games like inFamous, Uncharted, Motorstorm, Killzone 2 or LBP. Not only are these games going to receive sequels soon but they are also well reviewed. Not to mention unlikely to be bough anymore due to their age.

(4) Allowing MS to gain momentum at the beginning of the year. Their lack of action on the supply issue (when the demand for the PS3 was greater than the Xbox 360) allowed the Xbox 360 become the console of choice for HD crowd at the time. This allowed them to build momentum during the beginning of the year.

(5) No US appealing exclusives for NA market (for FALL).

(6) GT5 delay caused problems with marketing for it and no $299 bundle.

mm04

gregor7777 said:
With anecdotal evidence that strong I think we should allow the "it's only selling well because of RRoD" argument to come off the ban list.

That's insanity. Is your store in an old coal mine of something?

And then, each of them bought every Kinect game in stock to make sure that the software attach rate doesn't go down. It's what happens every month, like clockwork. The only thing we haven't gotten lately is the "Shareholders are going to pull the plug on the Xbox division" even after NPDs come out and Xbox is on top.

caliblue15 said:
This and the 1 year lead. Don't know how many people say they want a 360 because their friends have one, everyone wants to play with their friends even if they like the PS3 instead..

Yeah, this means way more this generation then before because of online gaming. What system establishes itself as the place to play with your friends.

Dunlop

Kafel said:
I had that one too. Good ol' Amirox. :lol

Who ironically owns a Kinect after all his endless rants, helping to fuel the numbers :D

Sony's problem is simple. They're stuck with a premium price offering in a market that is budget conscious. That's bad in and of itself but it also means that they are price locked out of the mainstream at a point when the mainstream has never been more important and a time when Nintendo has already established itself there and Microsoft has just made a strong push.

For me it just honestly feels like they are always a step behind, they recovered from the launch distaster but always seem to be on the defensive and just riding this generation out.
Now that I am a LIVE member again, until Infamous 2 comes out my PS3 will go back to being my BluRay player. I keep hoping they will do something "outside of the box"

szaromir

Banned
PSGames said:
Now you can go back to those threads and serve people some crow.

PS3 has an amazing software lineup for next year. Sure, it may look like Nintendo has found success with the casuals and that Microsoft is far ahead in the US for now, but surely that's also because they're much cheaper than the "premium" PS3. With games like Killzone, Infamous, Uncharted, Ratchet&Clank, God of War, WKC and Gran Turismo 5, I really don't see how the PS3 could possibly lose next year. Truly, 2009 will be the year of the PS3.
But 2011 will be the year of the PS3. I'm sure that's what Tretton will tell me at E3 if he manages to say something different than "it's possible only on Playstation 3".

The year-to-year drop in PS3 sales should scare Sony. It's losing steam at a time when it should be, at the very least, treading water. Yikes.

Vinci said:

Most of the crow-posts were already served in the "Kinect pre-orders selling out", "Kinect has sold-through 1 million" and "Kinect has sold through 2.5 million" threads. The threads with reactions to E3 2010, the pricing, the "sitting down" fiasco, the "recognizing dark people" stuff, are easily as embarrassing as any of the pre-launch Wii and DS unveiling threads from 04 and 05.

This thread was merely going to provide the software icing, but we haven't seen any of that mentioned explicitly.

Required reading for anyone looking to browse how "GAF" reacted:

Any gaffers actually EXCITED for Kinect?
Microsoft confirms Kinect currently does not work while seated - thread title edited later
Kinect priced at $149 at Gamestop, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc
GameStop: Kinect Will Outsell Move This Holiday
UK Retailers "Kinect Pre-Orders VERY Low"
UK: Kinect Pre-Orders Booming

Edit:

Forgot this one, it's just over a month old:

If Kinect bombs hard, could MS give up on the VG market?

All lulz aside, for those who maintain that Kinect will lose steam in as short as 6 months, do you still hold on to that prediction? And does anyone still believe that Move will outsell Kinect in the long run in the US, given that Kinect bundles in November were about equal to total PS3 sales in October + November combined?

Even if Move sells more individual controllers than Kinect, will any Move-exclusive software planned for 2011 approach the sales of Dance Central? It's likely between 200 and 300k for the first month, depending on the spread for NFS and whether it's #11 in the individual or combined charts. That will be the greatest determinant as to whether either peripheral is supported, if companies can't make money off of it vs. making a normally controlled game, they won't bother.

Lebron

PSGames said:
Let me tell you man. I was out of town for E3 and didn't get to check GAF for a few days. Upon my return home after being blown away by Kinect in person I was literally shocked by the Kinect trolling on this forum. I tried defending it and was flamed non-stop. I was a MS shill. I wasn't a 'real gamer'. I got Juniored. I got banned for "Tiresome Kinect apologism". The main sentiment was that Kinect would bomb straight out of the gate and Microsoft would be forced out of the videogame industry because of it. It was fucking insanity.
I do remember you, and others, posting some positive impressions but getting kind of lost in the shuffle. I wasn't really impressed from what I saw from them during E3. Thought DC was the star, but still didn't think it was anything special. The early hardware "hick ups" flooding in didn't help either. But I got to hand it to them, it seems they managed to clean a lot of that up and release a responsive product. I wasn't impressed till I actually played DC at my families house. Just walked in front of it after my mom was done and started playing. Really fun and responsive, though some of those moves I KNOW i hit yet it denied me! The new tricks and ideas people are coming up with it after "hacking" it also show it has potential. They have all the momentum in the world right now, so I hope they take advantage of it. I know we'll get the shovelware from a lot trying to capture that casual market, but if they manage to put out a few good ones in there like You Shape, Kinect Sports(Adventures isn't as bad as I thought it would be) and Dance Central I'll be happy. Also, they brought back Steel Battalion. I couldn't hate it after that, well, unless it's a casual'd up game. Then RAGE!

Speaking of games, Sonic FreeRider has to be one of the worst games I've ever played. Fuck you, Sega. I don't understand some of the decent reviews and don't understand why I played it so much with my younger cousin. I kept playing on my own will. I DON'T UNDERSTAND! Why was I laughing and smiling?!?!?! What kind of black magic were they sending through that camera?

Vinci

Danish
Sho_Nuff82 said:
All lulz aside, for those who maintain that Kinect will lose steam in as short as 6 months, do you still hold on to that prediction? And does anyone still believe that Move will outsell Kinect in the long run in the US, given that Kinect bundles in November were about equal to total PS3 sales in October + November combined?

I think Kinect will lose steam within 6 months, yes. I still do. These figures don't change that.

And since I've never felt Move would outsell Kinect, no, I'm still pretty sure that Kinect will be far more successful than Move in the long run.

Baki

Kolgar said:
What an amazingly awesome NPD thread. Welcome back! :lol

And wow, it's finally happening. The competitive landscape in many industries often settles down into a duopoly, with two main market leaders followed by a distant third. It's taken a while for that to happen with this round of consoles, but now it seems that both Wii and 360 are beginning to leave a flagging PS3 behind.

In the beginning, Wii captured the imagination of the mass market while the two other consoles waged HD-peen battles to win a smaller hardcore audience.

Now, Microsoft has differentiated its platform with Kinect, a device that doesn't simply try to out-Wii the Wii, but imbues the 360 with its own kind of magic that's new and different and desirable. The result is, 360 is separating itself from the Special-Olympics slap-fest it had been fighting with Sony, and I expect it to enter a new phase of unprecedented growth for a Microsoft console (provided MS maintains a compelling stream of software, both for Kinect and core games).

PS3 appears to be in serious trouble now in America. As Steve Race, one-time president of Sony America, said of Trip Hawkins' 3DO platform just prior to the launch of the original PlayStation, "If it smells like dead fish, it's probably dead fish."

I've noticed a faint odor about the platform for a while, but with this NPD, I think I've got my first real whiff of something seriously bad.

That's the thing. Wii is the original "motion" machine. It owns that position in people's minds, so it's not going anywhere for a while. That's in part where Move fails and Kinect succeeds. Move is an expensive copycat while Kinect, like Wii before it, captures the imagination with something new. It's different enough to carve out its own space without cutting much into Nintendo's--something that's very hard to do to a market leader.

Quote of the year. :lol :lol

Say what you want, but the PS3 is anything but dead fish. Regardless, I want to see if you can say the same this time next year. I highly doubt it. Kinect in my opinion still has not proven that it is a product that can sustain these kind of sales past six months.

PS: Supply issues for X360 in NA will definitely let the PS3 take the first three months.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
see5harp said:
Yea I have Sports Champions and while I love certain events like Ping Pong and Disc Golf, the complete package is lackluster.

I was torn apart in the SC thread for stating this.

YoungHav

Banned
szaromir said:
But 2011 will be the year of the PS3. I'm sure that's what Tretton will tell me at E3 if he manages to say something different than "it's possible only on Playstation 3".
But why does "year of the PS3" have to be about sales? Sony has arguably been putting out better software than MS since 2008.

bj00rn_

Banned
caliblue15 said:
We had 300 Kinect Bundles, all gone by 5pm. Then the 250gb/4gb started going with the free games on the stance they could replace their old console now and wait for kinect until it came back into stock. I noticed later in the day that a few were new console looker, but most went for the ps3 after told the differences between the two consoles and two motion controllers.

Not saying either way is good nor bad. But why are these "differences" so obviously positive towards the PS3 that most of them just had to go for the PS3? Would be interesting to hear what you told them?

Zachack

I don't watch a lot of TV that would likely have the target demographic, but was there a lot (or little) of advertising for Wii Party? Given the dedicated shelf space I witnessed (although obviously other parts of the US may be different for various reasons) I would have expected at least a notable increase over last month.

offshore

Dunlop said:
For me it just honestly feels like they are always a step behind, they recovered from the launch distaster but always seem to be on the defensive and just riding this generation out.
I think they're riding this $299 price point out. I can only think the big move to $199 is when we'll see something like the Sony of old. But they'll probably need to have a redesigned box that adds a couple of features to get people to upgrade, and a machine that looks a lot better than the current slim.

Top Bottom