• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

PSGames said:
Let me tell you man. I was out of town for E3 and didn't get to check GAF for a few days. Upon my return, after being blown away by Kinect in person, I was literally shocked by the Kinect trolling on this forum. I tried defending it and was flamed non-stop. I was a MS shill. I wasn't a 'real gamer'. I got Juniored. I got banned for "Tiresome Kinect apologism". The main sentiment was that Kinect would bomb straight out of the gate and Microsoft would be forced out of the videogame industry because of it. It was fucking insanity.

You can't fight the man. Even if the man is wrong.

Just chill sit back and have a laugh at how out of touch the majority was with that one. I did.

Minsc

Gold Member
Haunted said:
I'm not worried at all about the PS3, to be honest.

PS3 has an amazing software lineup for next year. Sure, it may look like Nintendo has found success with the casuals and that Microsoft is far ahead in the US for now, but surely that's also because they're much cheaper than the "premium" PS3. With games like Killzone, Infamous, Uncharted, Ratchet&Clank, God of War, WKC and Gran Turismo 5, I really don't see how the PS3 could possibly lose next year. Truly,
will be the year of the PS3.

PSP has Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together next year . If that doesn't make it the year of the PSP, I don't know what will.

clashfan

I think sony biggest problem has nothing to do with MS or Nintendo. The biggest problem was blu-ray never caught on big with the general consumer. I feel sony was expecting a huge early push for the ps3 because of blu-ray...

Haunted

Vinci said:
EDIT @ Haunted: Good work, you got at least one with that shot.
It's like he didn't even highlight the spoiler!

Or he very cleverly set me up for a mcbain-thatsthejoke reply, but I doubt it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Haunted said:
I'm not worried at all about the PS3, to be honest.

PS3 has an amazing software lineup for next year. Sure, it may look like Nintendo has found success with the casuals and that Microsoft is far ahead in the US for now, but surely that's also because they're much cheaper than the "premium" PS3. With games like Killzone, Infamous, Uncharted, Ratchet&Clank, God of War, WKC and Gran Turismo 5, I really don't see how the PS3 could possibly lose next year. Truly,
will be the year of the PS3.
Oh you :lol

YoungHav said:
But why does "year of the PS3" have to be about sales? Sony has arguably been putting out better software than MS since 2008.
Because then you are talking about preference. Sony has continually had the most dull line-up. List wars if you want, but it's basically tired franchise or franchise that wasn't very original to begin with getting Sequel X. Of course that is my opinion. I have as much excitement as I have for the next Gears as I do for Uncharted. Not very much.

2nd, it sounds like you are only comparing it to 360. When you have a good 4 or 5 other systems.

Chrange

Banned
YoungHav said:
But why does "year of the PS3" have to be about sales? Sony has arguably been putting out better software than MS since 2008.
Wasn't that Sony's argument for why they were still the industry leader....it wasn't about sales?

The new race is 'first to 10,000,000 excuses'

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
bj00rn_ said:
Not saying either way is good nor bad. But why are these "differences" so obviously positive towards the PS3 that most of them just had to go for the PS3? Would be interesting to hear what you told them?

My guess is Blu-ray had to be the factor.

bj00rn_ said:
Not saying either way is good nor bad. But why are these "differences" so obviously positive towards the PS3 that most of them just had to go for the PS3? Would be interesting to hear what you told them?

I'd like to hear more about what they told him about their "lifestyles" in order to factor into his recommendation. :lol

EDIT: don't mean to pick on the guy but it will be interesting to see how far down the rabbit hole this goes

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Minsc said:
PSP has Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together next year . If that doesn't make it the year of the PSP, I don't know what will.

Certainly Let Us Cling Together will move a significant inventory of PSPs. Nobody is arguing with that logic. It's going to be a joy to watch.

ThatHurt

clashfan said:
I think sony biggest problem has nothing to do with MS or Nintendo. The biggest problem was blu-ray never caught on big with the general consumer. I feel sony was expecting a huge early push for the ps3 because of blu-ray...

I think its the other way around.
If it was not for bluray Sony would be selling less consoles than they already are.
With the attach rate on the ps3 is so low, you have to think a large potion of the consoles sold are fore people that wanted a bluray player. and were sold a ps3 as a media hub.

Baki

Just wanted to say, that yes Kinect had a good debut but 1 month of good sales does not vindicate statements such as "Microsoft just won this generation" or "Kinect is the next Wii".

I mean throw $500M at anything and you should be able to pull off a decent launch.

ThatHurt said:
If it was not for bluray Sony would be selling less consoles than they already are.
With the attach rate on the ps3 is so low, you have to think a large potion of the consoles sold are fore people that wanted a bluray player. and were sold a ps3 as a media hub.

The PS3 has a tie ratio close to 8.0.

szaromir

Banned
YoungHav said:
Because it would be year of PC every year, which in turn would be very boring.

JesseZao

ThatHurt said:

For sure. Blu-ray players are much cheaper than a PS3 now and they are fully featured with internet connectivity for netflix etc. PS3 isn't the best choice for just getting a blu-ray player anymore.

Vinci

Danish
Zachack said:
I don't watch a lot of TV that would likely have the target demographic, but was there a lot (or little) of advertising for Wii Party? Given the dedicated shelf space I witnessed (although obviously other parts of the US may be different for various reasons) I would have expected at least a notable increase over last month.

I probably don't watch as much TV as other people do, but I haven't seen any ads for it, no. Only videos I've seen of it were in Japanese.

YoungHav

Banned
Chrange said:
Wasn't that Sony's argument for why they were still the industry leader....it wasn't about sales?

The new race is 'first to 10,000,000 excuses'
I know that this is a business and money is the goal for these companies but I've never acknowledged the Wii as the winner of this gen. They've done a piss poor job at working with 3rd parties and catering to non-casual gamers.

szaromir said:
Because it would be year of PC every year, which in turn would be very boring.
:lol . I need to get back into PC gaming. The newest PC game I've purchased and played was Guild Wars 1.

Dunlop

Baki said:
Just wanted to say, that yes Kinect had a good debut but 1 month of good sales does not vindicate statements such as "Microsoft just won this generation"

Who thinks MS won the generation? Assuming winning is consoles sold: Compared to previous user base of the last generations it is easily Wii>>>360>>>>>>>>PS3 and will remain that way.

or "Kinect is the next Wii".

It kinda is, not saying it will sell through the roof but every single person I have had play it has been wow'ed to the same extend that WiiSports did a couple of years ago. It is the next novelty and is selling itself through word of mouth, facebook.youtube (plus PC homebrew) on top of the 500 million in advertising.

Time will tell if it has legs

it's good to waste most of Friday reading an NPD thread. it's been way too long.

first of all, lets tackle GT5. i think no one can really deny that it has underperformed, but i also think it's foolish to call it a bomb, or to make long term predictions.

there's a laundry list of reasons why GT5 didn't sell what GT4 sold in february (smaller install base, delay confusion, limited advertising, better reviewed racing game competing for sales etc), but every single one is the fault of Sony or Polyphony.

they fucked up the launch. they failed to establish the same install base. etc.

i mean, it's interesting to discuss why the sales are what they are, but i don't think you can use things which are Sony/PD's fault to try and excuse them.

my prediction of Kinect Sports making it into the top ten... well... yeah i got that wrong. that's why I don't really make predictions that often.

still, if indeed Dance Central is 11th in this NPD chart, and if indeed Halo Reach would be tenth in an old school style chart, that at least WOULD have made top ten.

if...

i find it amusing that people are questioning Pachter's 5:1 math, and not questioning his 1/2 or 1/3 math. it's perfectly plausible that all of those numbers are rounded from the real numbers. taking his 1/2 and 1/3 and then combining them to get to the ratio increases rounding errors to the point where i'm going to presume the ratio of bundles is closer to 5:1 than it is 4:1.

the DS... yeah. okay. you were right to delay the 3DS Nintendo. i hate you for it of course, because goddamn i wanted one by now, but yeah. damn. nintendo yet again make another smart move.

same with Wii. price dropping already would have cost them a lot of money this christmas. $199 sales may have slowed a bit... but seems like all it took was a new colour and a couple of deals to make up the slack rather than a price drop.

PS3... yeah. it's doing well considering...

considering all the misteps Sony have made.

i like move. I hope it keeps doing well and i hope Sony keep supporting it. it doesn't need to do Kinect numbers to get good support because of it's similarity to the Wii controls and it's negligable cpu/gpu overhead. cost of developement to add move support is very small. control concepts for all the main genres are already laid out.

move will do just fine.

GT5's numbers next month are going to be really interesting. has the fucked up launch hurt and poor (for the series) reviews hurt them in the long term?

i'm guessing no.

but then i'm not too good at that :)

Jtyettis said:
Just noticed right at near 70 million for current gen hardware in 4/5 years. Any comparison to last gen with this.

Don't have the numbers in front of me, but this gen is definitely well ahead of last gen in the same time frame. Wii is still trending above ps2 during the same time frame. 360 is trending well above xbox in the same time frame. PS3 is trending above gamecube during the same time frame. So, in terms of units sold, it's well ahead of last gen.

donny2112

iammeiam said:
So we know for a fact the following single-platform titles would make the old-school NPD top 10:

Just Dance 2
Fable III
DKCR
Gran Turismo 5
Wii Fit Plus
Halo: Reach

It's worth pointing out that Microsoft's PR consistently refers to a console Top 10 and excludes handheld titles. Therefore if any handheld title sold more than Halo: Reach in November, it probably pushed Halo out of the Top 10 in the regular SKU chart that used to be released.

Considering that 80 billion pages have happened since this quote, hopefully that's been brought up and/or clairified before now. :lol

Edit:
Oh, wait. Anita Frazier said the same thing, and she wouldn't have excluded handheld games. Nevermind, then. :)

Baki

Dunlop said:
Who thinks MS won the generation? Assuming winning is consoles sold: Compared to previous user base of the last generations it is easily Wii>>>360>>>>>>>>PS3 and will remain that way.

It kinda is, not saying it will sell through the roof but every single person I have had play it has been wow'ed to the same extend that WiiSports did a couple of years ago. It is the next novelty and is selling itself through word of mouth, facebook.youtube (plus PC homebrew) on top of the 500 million in advertising.

Time will tell if it has legs

Gary Whitta said that.

Regarding the status quo, I highly doubt it'll end as you suggest. Especially considering that the PS3 is only 2.9M units behind the Xbox 360.

Proc

I am super glad to see brotherhood doing as well as it is.

I can't be bother to buy it right now, since I'm enjoying the hell out of a $20 version of assassin's creed 2, but its comforting to know that when I'm all caught up, there will be more of these games.

Dunlop

Baki said:
Gary Whitta said that.

Regarding the status quo, I highly doubt it'll end as you suggest. Especially considering that the PS3 is only 2.9M units behind the Xbox 360.

I said related to last gen, GC vs Wii, xbox vs 360, PS2 vs PS3

excluding that I still think it is the same just not as extreme between the PS3 and 360

I can't be bother to buy it right now, since I'm enjoying the hell out of a $20 version of assassin's creed 2, but its comforting to know that when I'm all caught up, there will be more of these games.

This, picked up the same deal. I had completely discareded AC2 after the horrible shit that AC1 was...man was I wrong this game is awesome

Baki

Dunlop said:
I said related to last gen, GC vs Wii, xbox vs 360, PS2 vs PS3

excluding that I still think it is the same just not as extreme between the PS3 and 360

This, picked up the same deal. I had completely discareded AC2 after the horrible shit that AC1 was...man was I wrong this game is awesome

Hmm...Not quite sure what you are getting at?

oh, and one other thing.

about whether or not Sony care about NPD ranking of software sales.

they patently don't. if they did, they wouldn't consistantly put out their first party titles right at the end of the month.

Speevy

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Don't have the numbers in front of me, but this gen is definitely well ahead of last gen in the same time frame. Wii is still trending above ps2 during the same time frame. 360 is trending well above xbox in the same time frame. PS3 is trending above gamecube during the same time frame. So, in terms of units sold, it's well ahead of last gen.

It may be ahead, but it's going to fall off a cliff well before the Wii can hit 145 million.

offshore

YoungHav said:
why are people so hard on GT5? Wasn't it out for only a few days this NPD period?
I don't know what people were expecting from GT5 to be honest in the US. 400k seems fair given GT4 did 600k on a larger install base and with a couple more days on the market.

Talk about GT5 doing a million in a month - some were even suggesting a day - was absolutely crazy talk, and was never going to happen.

Dunlop

Baki said:
Hmm...Not quite sure what you are getting at?

I quoted your post of what I was referring to, not vindicating statements about MS winning this gen, ect..

How do you measure who won and by what measuring stick is the Wii not the winner at this current time? Keep in mind as I say this that the Wii is my least favorite console by a long shot but Nintendo has kicked ass and changed the rules to the console war game

Vinci said:
I think Kinect will lose steam within 6 months, yes. I still do. These figures don't change that.

And since I've never felt Move would outsell Kinect, no, I'm still pretty sure that Kinect will be far more successful than Move in the long run.

Well, I based my predictions for the success of Kinect based on the success of the Wii. I will admit that like many people, I underestimated the appeal of the Wii at launch in North America (even though I thought it would do well in Japan), but after having played it for the first time, and seeing the reactions of people who didn't normally play games, I knew that it was going to be a breakout hit. Not because of Nintendo's traditional stable (Zelda was pretty big at launch, but it sold nearly as well on Gamecube), but because of games like Wii Sports and Wii Play.

Kinect (which I still haven't played) has had that same buzz about it ever since MS has let people go hands on with it. They spent the entire summer touring the country and putting beta versions of the software directly in consumers' hands. So while much of the press turned up their noses (as they did to the Wii) citing the lack of FPS/action games, and much of the tech crowd grumbled about hundredths of a second of lag, and internet forums posted every video of a single glitch or lengthy calibration as signs that MS was trying to sell us shit in a box, hundreds of thousands of normal people were building up anticipation and word of mouth on Kinect.

And then, the product placement. Oprah, Ellen, Bieber concerts, Entourage cameo. All aimed at the same demographic. All driving sales before there was ever a 360 commercial with it on TV. The current ad campaign is peanuts. I doubt MS has even scratched the surface of that 500 million compared to what we'll see next year. If MS wants to maintain their current momentum, they're going to have to try to avoid software droughts. They'll need games at LEAST as good as Dance Central, Kinect Sports, and Your Shape to start showing up several times a month starting around February/March. I just don't see that being that huge of an obstacle. There isn't some magic pixie dust sprayed onto the products of Nintendo, Sega, Ubisoft, THQ, and Neversoft that made their Wii games multi-million sellers over the last few years.

YoungHav said:

In a sales thread, if you run off a list war, you'd best be talking about sales.

The problem I have with the constant "future prognostication" that people throw at the PS3 vs the other consoles is that

a) Lots of Sony's exclusive titles get delayed from their originally intended launch window
b) Not all of Sony's exclusive titles are flawless masterpieces worthy of being included on list of things to come in EVERY DAMN THREAD
c) Not all of Sony's exclusive titles are sales juggernauts, no matter how many thread views they get here
d) Nintendo and MS, this generation anyway, have a much more noted history of launching their AAA software within 9 months of announcement. Notably Left 4 Dead 2, Wii Fit & +, NSMB Wii, Forza 3, Gears 2, Fable 2, Fable 3, Banjo Nuts & Bolts, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid: Other M, among others, were all launched the same year they were first shown playable. Comparing their upcoming software H2H in December of each year, as GAF is wont to do, disproportionately favors Sony year in and year out because they announce so much. How many years was GT5 on lists? MGS4? Killzone 2? Agent? LA Noire?

I mean throw $500M at anything and you should be able to pull off a decent launch.

As was so often pointed out, Microsoft Kin cost them well over $500M, and it is dead.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PSGames said:
Let me tell you man. I was out of town for E3 and didn't get to check GAF for a few days. Upon my return, after being blown away by Kinect in person, I was literally shocked by the Kinect trolling on this forum. I tried defending it and was flamed non-stop. I was a MS shill. I wasn't a 'real gamer'. I got Juniored. I got banned for "Tiresome Kinect apologism". The main sentiment was that Kinect would bomb straight out of the gate and Microsoft would be forced out of the videogame industry because of it. It was fucking insanity.

Just as many people were banned for trolling Kinect as were banned for defending Kinect. Without talking about your specific ban or the specific post you were banned for (it wasn't me and I have no desire to comment on another moderator's actions), it is possible to go overboard either trolling for or trolling against something.

There was hardly an institutional moderator tilt against Kinect. I can think of at least three moderators who own Kinect currently.

Penguin

offshore said:
I don't know what people were expecting from GT5 to be honest in the US. 400k seems fair given GT4 did 600k on a larger install base and with a couple more days on the market.

Talk about GT5 doing a million in a month - some were even suggesting a day - was absolutely crazy talk, and was never going to happen.

I think its a combination really, if Halo or Mario came out and neither the 360 nor Wii got a sales bump (in this case it was the opposite) nor did they chart that high, it would look pretty grim since sales wise tis is Sony's biggest exclusive franchise.

offshore said:
$1.26 billion. that's how many dollars americans spent on games last february.

$2.7 billion. that's how many dollars americans spent on games last november.

there are 'days' and 'days'

i mean, that's not even looking at the distribution of sales in november, though admittedly BlOPS would possibly throw that out of whack this year.

Bizzyb

Banned
Kafel said:
I had that one too. :lol

Good ol' Amirox ...

Not a good mod imo. I give Nintendo TONS of shit when it's deserved yet I get banned for "consistent nintendo fantardism" for saying PSP2 will need more than just good graphics to impress me.

Like I said, not a good mod.

Speaking of which, is it asking too much to get some PSP numbers??

LosDaddie

Banned
NPD is BACK, baby!! :D Took me a little while, but I read the entire thread.

I thought this thread had potential when I first read this:

EviLore said:
03. Just Dance 2 (Wii) UBISOFT
05. Fable III (360) MICROSOFT**
06. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) NINTENDO -
07. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (PS3, 360, Wii, PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS -
08. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) SONY** - -

:lol Not quite the showing Sony and SonyGAF were hoping for.

But I knew this thread was going to be special when I read this:

EviLore said:
Hardware:

Xbox 360: 1.37 Million (+68%)
Wii: 1.27 Million (+0.8%)
PS3: 530k (-25%)

DAMN!! Good showing, MS. Good showing. I guess Kinect really does have a good chance of being a success.

While I'd love for there to be more classic sales-age GIFs, there's been no shortage of classic sales-age trolling:

A.R.K said:
does MS fucking go buy their own games in bulk from retailers or what? its disgusting when crap like this sell and quality games struggle...I have to salute the xbox community though, they fucking buy every piece of crap that comes out on the 360 no matter the quality...thats loyalty!

:lol :lol That right there is an honest to goodness angry fanboy rant. Keep up the good fight, bud.

Top Bottom