• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
LosDaddie said:
- The Wii needs a price cut to at least $180. But that's assuming Nintendo wants a higher volume of sales with a smaller profit margin.

Wii sells as much as last year and this is your take from it? Wow ;-)
They need a price cut if sales slow down considerably after the holiday season - but right now they are just fine with their bundles.

Vinci

Danish
LosDaddie said:
- The Wii needs a price cut to at least $180. But that's assuming Nintendo wants a higher volume of sales with a smaller profit margin.

They'll cut its price when 3DS hits.

charlequin said:
At the moment they have a price/value advantage over PS3 in the US and they're profiting on hardware. Better to save that up and just cut to immediately negate whatever advantage Sony gets from their next drop.
if you're currently the best selling console, you have the luxury of waiting to see what the competition do.

i think that's pretty consistantly been the case for the last few generations.

szaromir

Banned
charlequin said:
The software definitely hurt a lot, but I think you can really explain almost all the ups and downs of the PS3 and 360 in the US by looking at relative value. Historically PS3 did well at price parity and 360 did well at $100 off, with the BRD being one of the biggest value differentiators. Now BRD players are cheap and 360 has two better value propositions: the $299 360 bundle with a Kinect is a hell of a lot better expected value than the non-bundled $299 PS3, while the $199 unit is a much cheaper way to buy in if you don't care about motion control (i.e. you want a Blopsbox.)
That's a weird logic here. Atm 360 with HDD costs the same as PS3, but it's been the same for the past 14 months, $199 360 SKU exists since 2008. Microsoft did a fantastic job with 360 rebranding, PS3's current trouble come from the fact they did nothing to counter that, value offering is secondary.

Pooya

BIG UPDATE
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6285170.html

Wilson also expressed disappointment in sales of Kinect games. Despite the hype Microsoft's motion-sensing camera system generated, Wilson said software for the unit totaled sales of $57 million, or about 4 percent of game sales for the month. Wilson didn't weigh in on the peripheral's most highly promoted titles, but he did say that Electronic Arts' third-person shooter Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (the 360 version of which supports Kinect) was another disappointment, as the blockbuster movie tie-in sold fewer than 100,000 copies.

Pachter's estimation: CoD 14m WW

For the new page:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6285163.html

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said that the game [Just Dance 2] had just missed his estimate of 700,000 units sold during the month. Pachter did not offer a sales estimation for Dance Central.

Zoe

LosDaddie said:
- Bomba or not, I don't think anyone can deny GT5's sales were disappointing. Not only did it fail to be the #1 console exclusive, but the game couldn't even lift PS3 sales to (at least) remain flat YoY....and that's with Black Friday sales. I'm also not buying the "Only 3 days of sales" excuse either. For a game hyped endlessly on GAF, proclaimed as a true system-seller, and in development for so long, I would've figured north of 600k sales on launch day alone.

While it was hyped on GAF, the general public had little to no clue that it was going to come out when it did. It missed its chance at the circulars, and I didn't see a single commercial.

Kenka

bigtroyjon said:
To clarify on Dance Central, it was number 11 on the individual sku chart.
Kinect Sports was number 12 on the individual chart.
Link

Thank you much !

The quote itself :

When games are ranked individually by platform, two Kinect titles almost made the top 10. "Dance Central" and "Kinect Sports" were number 11 and 12, according to David Dennis, Xbox group product manager.

"We're very happy with performance across all lines of our business," he said.

More work for you Nirolak :D

Boney

Banned
I think a $20 price cut on Wii would be a horrible strategy. I don't think it's enough to drive enough demand and a second price cut soon enough would diminish it's value by making people wait for constant price drops. I think they'll drop it to $150 first half of next year.

I wonder how Move software did in comparison.

LosDaddie

Banned
plagiarize said:
oh and to jump on the 'get rid of kevin butler' bandwagon, talking about your competitors in your adverts without them responding in kind for any lengthy period of time just makes you look like an also ran.

Agreed.

Like Kusagari said earlier in this thread:

Kusagari said:
The funny thing is that Kevin Butler's popularity among gamers on GAF shows exactly why he isn't a good PR figure.

Hits the nail on the head, IMO. I do find KB kinda funny, but not "OMG...I Need to Make a Thread about this Ad"-level funny. But yeah, no surprise why KB is popular on GAF.

offshore said:
I think the PS3 still represents great value..

And you missed his point entirely.

cw_sasuke said:
Wii sells as much as last year and this is your take from it? Wow ;-)
They need a price cut if sales slow down considerably after the holiday season - but right now they are just fine with their bundles.

Oh yeah, I'd be happy if I were Nintendo to break even on YoY sales. I was just saying that IF they want more sales, then it seems they need to lower the price.

Mrbob

Amir0x this should make you feel a little better!

Wilson also expressed disappointment in sales of Kinect games. Despite the hype Microsoft's motion-sensing camera system generated, Wilson said software for the unit totaled sales of $57 million, or about 4 percent of game sales for the month

Hardware moving but not software for Kinect?

Zoe

Mrbob said:

Wilson also expressed disappointment in sales of Kinect games. Despite the hype Microsoft's motion-sensing camera system generated, Wilson said software for the unit totaled sales of $57 million, or about 4 percent of game sales for the month

But it has potential!

FrankT

szaromir

Banned
Jtyettis said:
With the cash total that is what maybe 1 million units or more of Kinect SW perhaps? It's good thing HP didn't sale after those reviews heh.
Attach rate <1 is pretty bad. People like them some Adventures apparently.

Lebron

Sho_Nuff82 said:
All lulz aside, for those who maintain that Kinect will lose steam in as short as 6 months, do you still hold on to that prediction?
It really depends on how they handle all this new found buzz. I think they will still sell well into 2012 with the initial "wow" factor that people seem to walk away with when they first see or play it. Their initial launch titles should also be enough to keep interest up with potiential buyers (well maybe not as good as they are now) who probably don't care much about the "gamer" games some of us are interested in. I remember people saying similar things about the Wii initially, which sold like hot cakes obviously with their original launch line up. They really didn't really start getting the next wave of good titles, outside of Paper Mario, till like Summer '07(some of which were just ports), but really, for me, that Fall when Metriod 3 came out--could have forgot some, so sorry in advance. I couldn't find comparisons of Wii's software sales from early '07(well I didn't search that hard probably), but the point I'm trying to get at is that a lot of times, early on, their top selling title, and sometimes only one in the Top 10, was still Wii Play(and Sports if they included it). Do you remember some the tired "it only sales hardware not software" knocks thrown around back then? The fact that Wii Play was still their best selling title showed that a lot of people had no problem picking up and playing a launch game well into the following year despite newer titles being released. Granted, it was kind of hard for Wii Play not to sell well due to the controller bundle, but it showed that not everyone had the same mindset and that the game is oddly fun and addicting! Joking aside, my younger cousins, and some other family members and friends, still mostly play Wii Sports and Play more than anything else, so whose to say that can't become common with titles like Adventures or Sports? Of course that is ancendetal evidence, but I just think that claiming people will lose interest and it will die down is kind of silly given that we've heard the same argument before and already seen the result. Not to say it's going to happen the same way with the Kinect, I'm just saying. Whatever the case, It will be interesting to see how it all turns out in the comings months, and I hope to see some well imagined, or at the very least good and fun, titles from developers who have seen the light announced. The hack videos have really made me hopeful. They already have fun games out, but you know what I mean. MS only has to worry about themselves blowing this for them.

I'm also not really convinced about Sony's Move support either. The tech is there, and they can really put out some interesting games if they want to. I hope they don't let the initial monster Kinect effect turn them away from their Move focus, doubt it will. I was impressed with Sorcery, even though I don't think it managed to establish the "has to be played and experienced with Move" purpose. It did however show promise, and that they are taking it seriously. Sports Champions also echoes that mindset. I just keep remembering back when Eye of Judgement came out and being excited since it looked interesting and cool, but we never really got a flood of support after that from them. Unless I'm mistaken? I admit I didn't really follow it that much. I can only really think of the EyePet and Singstar that followed after.

Fuck, I can write all of this, but I can't write my damn History paper. SMH

Edit: I was mistaken, thought Wii Play came out when the Wii was released in November. Sorry

Kinect software should fare better in the upcoming months simply because Kinect Adventures isn't capable of holding your attention for too long. That and there's probably going to be a significant chunk which won't be used before Xmas day.

Owzers

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (the 360 version of which supports Kinect) was another disappointment, as the blockbuster movie tie-in sold fewer than 100,000 copies.

Please buy our crap games! PLEASE! WE MADE THEM SO YOU SHOULD BUY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Mrbob said:

I don't see how 4% is a bad number for a month in which so many new games are released and there is a new peripheral out...

4% of 20 million is still 800k sales.

Vinci

Danish
MightyHedgehog said:
Kinect software should fare better in the upcoming months simply because Kinect Adventures isn't capable of holding your attention for too long. That and there's probably going to be a significant chunk which won't be used before Xmas day.

According to many folks, people have been playing Wii Sports - and that alone - for the last four years. Why shouldn't Kinect Adventures keep people enthralled for some time to come?

Kinect hardware fared better, with Pachter saying about half of Xbox 360 hardware sales purchased in November were bundles including the camera peripheral, enough to outsell Sony's Move-equipped PS3 hardware bundles by a ratio of 5:1.

Can anyone do the math and figure out approximately how many Kinects were sold?

Baki

OldJadedGamer said:
Why would he be talking about worldwide sales in an NPD thread?

Because the user was referring to the final positions after this gen ends and was indicating that the PS3 would be a distant third. I was assuming he was talking worldwide.

szaromir said:
That's a weird logic here. Atm 360 with HDD costs the same as PS3, but it's been the same for the past 14 months, $199 360 SKU exists since 2008.

I don't think it's that complicated really. $199 360 was a better deal for someone who wanted the lowest price but $299 PS3 was a better deal than the $299 360 with hard drive. Now the $299 Kinect bundle is a better deal than the $299 PS3 and it's helping to elevate 360 sales as a result. The value proposition between the two systems has always been relatively close and fairly minor shifts in either direction have been enough to tip the balance in the past.

FrankT

BenjaminBirdie said:
Kinect hardware fared better, with Pachter saying about half of Xbox 360 hardware sales purchased in November were bundles including the camera peripheral, enough to outsell Sony's Move-equipped PS3 hardware bundles by a ratio of 5:1.

Can anyone do the math and figure out approximately how many Kinects were sold?

If 1.5 million overall is correct then 685k bundled units and 815k stand alone.

AlteredBeast said:
I don't see how 4% is a bad number for a month in which so many new games are released and there is a new peripheral out...

4% of 20 million is still 800k sales.

Based on the Cod numbers there were 33.6 units of software sold. If the 4% is a unit number and not revenue then there would be 1.34 units of Kinect software sold.

That would be pretty close to a 1 attach rate.

PSGames

Jtyettis said:
With the cash total that is what maybe 1 million units or more of Kinect SW perhaps? It's good thing HP didn't sale after those reviews heh.

With 1.5 million total units it would be 1.5 to 1. If the average price was $45 it would be closer to 1.26. There was some discounting not sure if it would be more or less.

Yeah I think it's closer to 1.3. Considering it's bundled with a game and half the owners are new (meaning a $300+ purchase) I can understand why people didn't pick up much software. Software sales will improve after the holidays when people get tired of Kinect Adventures.

Vinci said:
According to many folks, people have been playing Wii Sports - and that alone - for the last four years. Why shouldn't Kinect Adventures keep people enthralled for some time to come?

Sony and Microsoft both went out of their way to get a new breed of shovelware on their systems, people should at least buy some of them out of respect.

Vinci said:
According to many people, people have been playing Wii Sports - and that alone - for the last four years. Why shouldn't Kinect Adventures keep people enthralled for some time to come?
When I typed that, I was actually mentally comparing it to just that pack-in title, man. Wii Sports is far more giving with its activity set, especially if you look at it from a variety standpoint. KA is just too simple and repetitive to hold the attentions of most people...even the non-gamers. Not saying there won't be some out there who could be happy with it. I just don't imagine KA competes well with WS.

FrankT

bigtroyjon said:
Based on the Cod numbers there were 33.6 units of software sold. If the 4% is a unit number and not revenue then there would be 1.34 units of Kinect software sold.

That would be pretty close to a 1 attach rate.

That's sounds a bit closer to my math though I could be off here. ASP at or around $42-43.

Baki

Sho_Nuff82 said:
All lulz aside, for those who maintain that Kinect will lose steam in as short as 6 months, do you still hold on to that prediction?

All lulz aside. Do you think the Kinect will continue to sell without compelling software?

Lets be honest, if 3rd parties were reluctant to put software on the Wii when it has over 70M install base (and was breaking records left right and centre). What makes you think they'll support Kinect (with compelling software) which has an install base of 2.5M? Possibly 5-8M by next year?

Baki said:
Because the user was referring to the final positions after this gen ends and was indicating that the PS3 would be a distant third. I was assuming he was talking worldwide.

Why would you assume that in an NPD thread? Wouldn't the assumption be US sales since the entire thread is discussing US sales? Oh, and yes... staying on topic, the PS3 will be a distant third for the rest of this generation.

PSGames

Vinci said:

To put it quite simply Kinect Adventures is not as good as Wii Sports. Now if Kinect Sports had been bundled than your statement might have held some weight.

Vinci

Danish
Baki said:
All lulz aside. Do you think the Kinect will continue to sell without compelling software?

Lets be honest, if 3rd parties were reluctant to put software on the Wii when it has over 70M install base (and was breaking records left right and centre). What makes you think they'll support Kinect (with compelling software) which has an install base of 2.5M? Possibly 5-8M by next year?

You know what? I'm actually waiting to see what 3rd parties do. Could prove very revealing.

PSGames said:
To put it quite simply Kinect Adventures is not as good as Wii Sports. Now if Kinect Sports had been bundled than your statement might have held some weight.

My statement was just a bit of fun for years of utter nonsense being spewed out on a regular basis about the Wii and its audience. That's all. I didn't expect such a response; I thought it was clear I was simply having fun.

That said, I think the software Kinect has to work with is going to heavily influence how closely it follows the Wii's playbook.

szaromir

Banned
charlequin said:
I don't think it's that complicated really. $199 360 was a better deal for someone who wanted the lowest price but $299 PS3 was a better deal than the $299 360 with hard drive. Now the $299 Kinect bundle is a better deal than the $299 PS3 and it's helping to elevate 360 sales as a result. The value proposition between the two systems has always been relatively close and fairly minor shifts in either direction have been enough to tip the balance in the past.
$299 Kinect bundle is a great value only for someone who really wants Kinect, in which case PS3 is probably not even considered a purchase. I just don't see the comparison. Currently $299 360 HDD is pretty much the same value proposition as PS3 now that MS added Wifi, I doubt Blu-Ray playback is a big deal for many people.

I think it's the flexibility of MS's pricing that's the advantage; their main 4 SKUs target different consumers which is brilliant. PS3 has only two 360's equivalents.

Baki

Vinci said:
You know what? I'm actually waiting to see what 3rd parties do. Could prove very revealing.

A $500M marketing campaign can give a platform the much needed push for a great debut. But without great software support, the platform will fizzle out.

I guess MS can continue giving companies financial incentives to develop for Kinect. But will that yield their A-Class or C-Class efforts?

Baki said:

competing with MS is going to be a lot easier than competing with Nintendo, plus MS have the leverage of great 360 software sales to lean on people a bit. Nintendo don't have anything equivalent to that.

but in answering your first question. no, i don't think kinect will sell without compelling software.

right now it has compelling software and right now it is selling.

it'll have a software drought that will last into the spring, shortages may smooth the sales over and keep them looking okay. it's going to be that second wave of software that makes or breaks it imho.

PSGames

Baki said:

For one Nintendo consoles have a stigma that only 1st party titles sell. For 2 developers weren't excited to develop for the Wii given the last gen graphics. Microsoft should have none of these problems with Kinect and I'm sure they're already funding 3rd party games themselves to get the ball rolling.

Kafel

Banned
Well Dance Central is #11 and Kinect Sports #12 of the individual SKU charts, with Your Shape and JoyRide not too far from them I'd guess, it's ok if the crap surrounding these games didn't sell well.

How much software sales did analyst expect for the first month of an accessory sold $150 with a game and demos included ?

Lebron

sillymonkey321 said:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (the 360 version of which supports Kinect) was another disappointment, as the blockbuster movie tie-in sold fewer than 100,000 copies.

Please buy our crap games! PLEASE! WE MADE THEM SO YOU SHOULD BUY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol
Not surprised. The game was terrible without the Kinect support and that same Kinect support was pretty piss poor in comparison to other titles. When I tried it out the damn thing couldn't recognize shit. I want a light-gun shooter style game, but not that shit.

Chrange

Banned
Mrbob said:

What's the install base percentage of Kinect, anyone know?

LosDaddie

Banned
Zoe said:
While it was hyped on GAF, the general public had little to no clue that it was going to come out when it did. It missed its chance at the circulars, and I didn't see a single commercial.

Even with a bungled launch, I still would've figured more than 400k sales for Sony's unquestioned #1 IP. Heck, I would've figured at least 400k pre-orders.

Top Bottom