• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

apana

metareferential said:
This is pure speculation on your part.

We don't know how large the market actually is.

What matters to Microsoft is that they are indeed expanding the audience.

Yeah it is pure speculation on my part but I would probably have to pay a lot of money to know what's going on in more detail and even then I would have to do some educated guessing. Besides the Wi is stable and PS3 is down so it sort of makes sense that the 360 Slim and Kinect is stealing more of the PS3 audience. On the other hand it could just be bringing in people who weren't into gaming previously.

Ingeniero

Damn, what a killer month for the 360, kudos to MS.
I kinda feel sad for the PS3, those numbers are abysmal for this time of the year.

I hope the 360 can surpass 2 million in December that would be epic.

Oh and GO GT5 ! :D

Apath

Baki said:
Kinect adventures is bundled with the system.

Kinect is pretty much selling on pure hype alone*. When I ask people about what excites about Kinect, its not because of Kinect adventures or anything. Its because its cool that you can do stuff without a controller.

*Maybe exaggerating a bit. But I kid you not, the main draw of Kinect is the premise and not its library.

Regardless, the Wii has a much larger install base for the kind of games Kinect is trying to sell.
Sounds like the PS3 launch all over again.

I can't help but be disappointed by this NPD. The year I feel PS3 finally pushed itself head and shoulder above the 360, and Microsoft seemed dead set on alienating gamers like me, 360 goes for a massive lead and completely sweeps the PS3.

And why do people feel that software like LBP2 or Killzone 3 would have helped the PS3? I could understand that it would drive up software sales, but I cannot see how adding a 2 or 3 at the end of a title is going to suddenly make it more appealing to prospective console buyers.

Kenak said:

I can't help but be disappointed by this NPD. The year I feel PS3 finally pushed itself head and shoulder above the 360, and Microsoft seemed dead set on alienating gamers, 360 goes for a massive lead and completely sweeps the PS3.

And why do people feel that software like LBP2 or Killzone 3 would have helped the PS3? I could understand that it would drive up software sales, but I cannot see how adding a 2 or 3 at the end of a title is going to suddenly make it more appealing to prospective console buyers.
second games in a series often spur console sales. people have heard about the first one and wait for the second one to pick up a console.

Killzone 3 may as well be the second game in the series.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kenak said:
The year I feel PS3 finally pushed itself head and shoulder above the 360, and Microsoft seemed dead set on alienating gamers,

:lol How? The X360 had some solid games this year that aren't on PS3: Halo Reach, Alan Wake, and ME2. And then there's the great multi-plats that came out this year too.

All MS did was try to broaden its audience (with Kinect). Claiming they were trying to alienate "gamers" is just bullshit. Now whether or not the PS3 had better games is up to opinion.

dionysus said:
Makes me happy that the biggest release of all time has a day and date PC version. I doubt Activision feels that the PC sku is cannibalizing its console versions. Maybe other publishers will notice this and stop delaying their PC SKUs 6 months. AssCreed being the obvious one on this month's NPD.

Too bad the PC version of that game was (and still is 5 weeks later) an unplayable broken fucking mess.

Rad-

LosDaddie said:
:lol How? The X360 had some solid games this year that aren't on PS3: Halo Reach, Alan Wake, and ME2. And then there's the great multi-plats that came out this year too.

All MS did was try to broaden its audience (with Kinect). Claiming they were trying to alienate "gamers" is just bullshit. Now whether or not the PS3 had better games is up to opinion.

Yep. I'd even say 360 had its best software lineup this year. Or at least up there with 2007.

shinnn said:
I'm expecting Kinect Sports ahead of Dance Central.

People need to buy Sports.. it's awesome :D

I think the thing is that Kinect Sports just seems really close to Kinect Adventures in gameplay style while Dance Central is more of a different experience and getting the most press as the must have title.

LosDaddie said:

He may be holding on to the fact that XBL price increased like it actually had any effect on anything.

Lebron

Kenak said:

I can't help but be disappointed by this NPD. The year I feel PS3 finally pushed itself head and shoulder above the 360, and Microsoft seemed dead set on alienating gamers, 360 goes for a massive lead and completely sweeps the PS3.

They had stuff like Crackdown 2, Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, Fable 3 and Alan Wake releasing. Not to mention the amount of multi games. I don't understand where the "alienating gamers" bit comes from. Are you referring to their support for Kinect?

100k for Harry Potter? It's amazing how poorly licensed games do nowadays.
Well, that's what happens when you don't learn from the Spider-Man movie games on how to handle it right.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jamesinclair said:
Good sales for Udraw.

It should do nicely in December.

Of coruse, video game "journalists" have done their best to ignore it

1) I really know nothing about you but I've probably noticed a dozen or so posts where you make a one line comment followed by a one line snide remark at a group of people. I'm sorry, but that's lazy, and it's shitty posting. it's just as bad as when someone rolls into a thread and says "of course, gaf defends <x>" when it's a thread of 250 people and 5 of them defended <x> and all five took the time to articulate their position. when the people in question are on gaf, it's disrespectful, and when they're not on gaf, it's silly. if you want to talk about something, make a point. Don't post passive aggressive one-line trolls of groups of people. It's not bannable, but it's shitty posting.

2) THQ very specifically chose to market udraw to mainstream press. They didn't invite ign and say "hey guys, come cover this", they invited mommy blogger types. You're not sitting here saying "of course, video game 'publishers' have done their best to target it elsewhere". Why did THQ target it elsewhere? Because it's not made for the readers of IGN and Gamespot and Eurogamer. If any of those readers enjoy it, great, but the target audience is elsewhere. That's why THQ wasn't doing a big push to send pre-release review copies to every gaming outlet, and that's why there are few reviews. No one blames THQ for this. That's considered a good and successful strategy. They recognized that their product has more play in other markets. So why are you blaming journalists? If game journalists did ignore it, they aren't contemptible for doing so.

3) But even then, the coverage isn't elsewhere:
IGN IGN GameSpot covering the sellouts GameSpot first impressions Joystiq covering sales Gamasutra GamesRadar Kotaku Eurogamer GiantBomb Gameinformer. Edge Magazine. GameTrailers posted all the promotional videos. Engadget gave a detailed hardware review. People that were allowed to preview it by THQ previewed it. They previewed it positively. People covered the announcement PR, the release PR, the post-release sellout PR. There were threads on forums everywhere about Danny Bilson's "They'll want us to rename the company to THQDraw (gamesindustry)" quote. Go Nintendo did tons of coverage on the games, the release, and the success peppered with their usual "Everything is great and we love everything!" editorial slant. It got coverage, anyway, so the point is moot.

Finally, GAF has got you covered (didn't include links to a few duplicate announcement threads).

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
01. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD ** - 8.4 Million
02. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3) UBISOFT ** - 1.14 Million
New! 03. Just Dance 2 (Wii) UBISOFT - <700K
04. Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP) ELECTRONIC ARTS
05. Fable III (360) MICROSOFT**
06. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) NINTENDO - 430.5K
07. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (PS3, 360, Wii, PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS - 417K
08. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) SONY** - 400K
09. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP,PC) TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) NINTENDO**

Maybe this has been pointed out already, but...

Number of exclusive console games in Top 10:

Wii = 3
360 = 1
PS3 = 1

"In November, Nintendo Wii had 300% more exclusive games in the top 10 than both Xbox 360 and Sony PS3."

^^^

That is a one-hundred-percent, true statement.

Apath

LosDaddie said:

I guess I should reword that, but what I meant by that was they are doing absolutely nothing for me. I have yet to see them show anything new that interests me outside of Gears of War 3, but after the clusterfuck that was GoW2's multiplayer (campaign was amazing) I'm not sure if I'll even be buying that right away.

I just feel they are shifting focus onto Kinect with absolutely nothing that interests me. Of course it's very possible they can turn this around, but I still cannot help but feel disappointed when looking at the 360's sales compared to the PS3's.
Lebron said:
They had stuff like Crackdown 2, Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, Fable 3 and Alan Wake releasing. Not to mention the amount of multi games. I don't understand where the "alienating gamers" bit comes from. Are you referring to their support for Kinect?
Again sorry for the wording -- I wasn't trying to group everyone together with myself. I spent some time trying to come up with the right words but I guess I failed in those regards.

In terms of the games listed, you don't feel that Crackdown 2, Fable 3, and Alan Wake disappointed? Halo Reach was of course great, but Mass Effect 2 is going multiplatform. Not saying it being released on the PS3 suddenly means it has never existed on the 360, but it's just less to set the 360 apart from the PS3.

dionysus

Yaldog
FirstInHell said:
Too bad the PC version of that game was (and still is 5 weeks later) an unplayable broken fucking mess.

Haven't played it, just glad that the biggest gaming franchise right now is bucking the trend of delaying PC versions till console sales are done.

The other trend of PC versions being shit I will have to look elsewhere for optimism apparently.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Gahiggidy said:

Wii = 3
360 = 1
PS3 = 1

"In November, Nintendo Wii had 300% more exclusive games in the top 10 than both Xbox 360 and Sony PS3."

^^^

No it's not, when you view the list with single SKUs, without mixing multiplatform games in a single title, Halo Reach gets the 10th spot, so it's 2 exclusives for the 360.

Furthermore, doing the same thing, but using a top 12 instead of a top 10 list, the 360 would have 4 exclusives, Wii 3 and PS3 1.

Kenak said:
I just feel they are shifting focus onto Kinect with absolutely nothing that interests me. Of course it's very possible they can turn this around, but I still cannot help but feel disappointed when looking at the 360's sales compared to the PS3's.

there are several interesting Kinect games being developed by japanese studios that could interest you, but if you have 0 interest in Kinect these games won't mean much to you.

and by the way, are you feeling dissapointed because other people with different tastes made these numbers?

Gahiggidy said:

Wii = 3
360 = 1
PS3 = 1

^^^

It would be true if you wrote it sold 300% as much as the others or 200% more. 300% more isn't correct.

Apath

intheinbetween said:
there are several interesting Kinect games being developed by japanese studios that could interest you, but if you have 0 interest in Kinect these games won't mean much to you.

and by the way, are you feeling dissapointed because other people with different tastes made these numbers?
No, not at all.

And I wouldn't say I have zero interest in Kinect -- there just isn't anything available at the moment that interests me. The Steel Battalion game in the works on the other hand interests me greatly. If it can provide an experience similar to the one on the XBOX, it will probably do a total 180 on my perception of the product.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
bigtroyjon said:
It would be true if you wrote it sold 300% as much as the others or 200% more. 300% more isn't correct.
Good catch! You passed the test.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kenak said:
I guess I should reword that, but what I meant by that was they are doing absolutely nothing for me.

Well that's you. Doesn't, at all, mean MS is purposely trying to alienate "gamers." Kind of odd wording there.

Kenak said:
but Mass Effect 2 is going multiplatform. Not saying it being released on the PS3 suddenly means it has never existed on the 360, but it's just less to set the 360 apart from the PS3.

That's not the case right now.

apana said:
On the other hand it could just be bringing in people who weren't into gaming previously.

Yes, this is what I meant; we don't have enough data to decide whether Ms is "stealing" customers from Nintendo or Sony.

Apath

LosDaddie said:
Well that's you. Doesn't, at all, mean MS is purposely trying to alienate "gamers." Kind of odd wording there.
Yes, hence why a) it's my opinion and b) admitted that it was poor wording and that my comment didn't apply to "all gamers" but more of myself.

Stumpokapow said:
2) THQ very specifically chose to market udraw to mainstream press. They didn't invite ign and say "hey guys, come cover this", they invited mommy blogger types.
This is a really good point. I just caught the end of "Ellen" and her Christmas gift show and the last thing she gave away was a copy of Udraw with a Wii. It's interesting because this thread is the first time I had heard anything about the game.

And no, I don't watch Ellen.

Weird that so many Kinect games sold and so few games. Of course I only asked for one game and the Kinect itself for X-mas so I guess I can understand.

Prine

Banned
Kenak said:

Stop trying to speak for me - you dont represent this gamer.

Edit. :p

Barrage

So just to confirm, if NPD still went by Top 10 SKU, the Top 4 would be:

1. BLOPS 360
2. BLOPS PS3
3. Ass-Creed Bro. 360
4. Just Dance II Wii

Correct?

GavinGT

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Weird that so many Kinect games sold and so few games. Of course I only asked for one game and the Kinect itself for X-mas so I guess I can understand.

It was expected all along. It costs $150, and it already comes with a game. I'm just glad that the two that deserved to sell, Dance Central and Kinect Sports, had reasonable spots on the individual SKU list.

Lebron

Kenak said:
Again sorry for the wording -- I wasn't trying to group everyone together with myself. I spent some time trying to come up with the right words but I guess I failed in those regards.

In terms of the games listed, you don't feel that Crackdown 2, Fable 3, and Alan Wake disappointed? Halo Reach was of course great, but Mass Effect 2 is going multiplatform. Not saying it being released on the PS3 suddenly means it has never existed on the 360, but it's just less to set the 360 apart from the PS3.
No worries. I was just addressing the notion of them turning their back on gamers. They were never alienating anyone. Rather one enjoyed them or not isn't the point, the games were there. If I understand that list bit correctly, they were already setting themselves apart from the PS3 when they expanded their focus with Kinect. The PS3 getting ME2 has no impact at all on that.

Though I understand, you enjoyed the software the PS3 offered this year more and wanted to see them do well for their efforts. No problem with that.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kenak said:
Yes, hence why a) it's my opinion and b) admitted that it was poor wording and that my comment didn't apply to "all gamers" but more of myself.

Yeah, no prob.

It just irks me when people claim (and this is not uncommon on GAF) that MS is abandoning gamers. It's just ridiculous nonsense with no basis in reality. Same goes for Sony and PSMove

Sean

Banned
JaxJag said:
The PS3's lineup ended up being pretty poor this year.

I think that has a lot to do with it.

Eh, the PS3's lineup is not all that different from 360's - Black Ops, Brotherhood, Madden, NFS Hot Pursuit, NBA 2k11 these are mostly all multiplatform games in the top 10.

Barrage said:
So just to confirm, if NPD still went by Top 10 SKU, the Top 4 would be:

1. BLOPS 360
2. BLOPS PS3
3. Ass-Creed Bro. 360
4. Just Dance II Wii

Correct?

I don't think we know the splits so it's hard to say the order.

With Halo at 10, there is space for 4 multi platform units above it, with at least 1 each for BLOPS and ASS.

I'm thinking that at +8 Million, BLOPS could have got 3 platforms into the top 10, meaning the PS3 ASS would be below the Kinect games at 300k+

Vinci

Danish
LosDaddie said:
Yeah, no prob.

It just irks me when people claim (and this is not uncommon on GAF) that MS is abandoning gamers. It's just ridiculous nonsense with no basis in reality. Same goes for Sony and PSMove

Or Nintendo and the Wii.

goldenpp72

Kenak said:

This irks me, as someone who is an avid gamer (my favorites consist of stuff like gears, dead rising, halo, viva pinata, etc on xbox) I found MS had quite a nice selection for their console. Bayonetta was stunning and it's practically a turd on ps3 (i've played both), mass effect 2 was exclusive and still is for now, so that's not a big deal, alan wake most consider great, crackdown 2 was good fun if not a bit dissapointing, fable 3 is seemingly fine, halo reach is amazing (as someone who was disappointed by the last 3 halos) and yeah, as a kinect owner, stuff like dance central and especially kinect sports are just as AAA as any other game, on top of that a very VERY strong 3rd party year (and in the case of dead rising 2, you'd be foolish to get it on ps3 if you're an avid fan) and you have a great year. Xbla was also fantastic, if you're in any way an open minded gamer the 360 had a great year that largely was not playable anywhere else.

I really hate this divide people create with kinect vs other 360 stuff, what makes kinect so neat is it adds a sense of depth into these 'casual' games that allows them to have depth equal to any other game, there is a reason i'm struggling to get achievements in kinect sports, its HARD in a good way.

For those without kinect, it might be a bit worse, but really, by next year you can probably score a kinect and play stuff like project draco, that rumored gears kinect game, or that grasshopper project, on top of stuff like gears 3 and whatever else MS will be announcing.

Vinci

Danish
clashfan said:
Actually Nintendo has abandoned the core gamers... :D

I don't feel abandoned. They gave me tons of shit to play. 3rd parties just didn't, though they made up for it on other platforms. So I bought those.

I think I've really loosened up over time.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
clashfan said:
Actually Nintendo has abandoned the core gamers... :D
Core gamers is a stupid definition; if you refer to the COD/Halo/GTA/Madden crowd, then they didn't abandon them, they just never owned that market.

GavinGT

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
I don't think we know the splits so it's hard to say the order.

With Halo at 10, there is space for 4 multi platform units above it, with at least 1 each for BLOPS and ASS.

I'm thinking that at +8 Million, BLOPS could have got 3 platforms into the top 10, meaning the PS3 ASS would be below the Kinect games at 300k+

We know AC:B for 360 sold like 800k. Black Ops most likely did multiple millions of sales on 360 and PS3, but likely didn't crack 200,000 for other systems (MW2 did 170,000 on PC last November). There's no doubt, then, that Just Dance 2 is #4.

Basically, yes, single SKU chart would have to go:

1) Black Ops 360
2) Black Ops PS3
3) AC: B 360
4) Just Dance 2

FrankT

GavinGT said:
We know AC:B for 360 sold like 800k. Black Ops most likely did multiple millions of sales on 360 and PS3, but likely didn't crack 200,000 for other systems (MW2 did 170,000 on PC last November). There's no doubt, then, that Just Dance 2 is #4.

1) Black Ops 360
2) Black Ops PS3
4) Just Dance 2

I think Pachter mentioned JD2 was just shy of his estimate of 700k. That would likely put AC:B around 800k.

EagleEyes

goldenpp72 said:
This irks me, as someone who is an avid gamer (my favorites consist of stuff like gears, dead rising, halo, viva pinata, etc on xbox) I found MS had quite a nice selection for their console. Bayonetta was stunning and it's practically a turd on ps3 (i've played both), mass effect 2 was exclusive and still is for now, so that's not a big deal, alan wake most consider great, crackdown 2 was good fun if not a bit dissapointing, fable 3 is seemingly fine, halo reach is amazing (as someone who was disappointed by the last 3 halos) and yeah, as a kinect owner, stuff like dance central and especially kinect sports are just as AAA as any other game, on top of that a very VERY strong 3rd party year (and in the case of dead rising 2, you'd be foolish to get it on ps3 if you're an avid fan) and you have a great year. Xbla was also fantastic, if you're in any way an open minded gamer the 360 had a great year that largely was not playable anywhere else.

I really hate this divide people create with kinect vs other 360 stuff, what makes kinect so neat is it adds a sense of depth into these 'casual' games that allows them to have depth equal to any other game, there is a reason i'm struggling to get achievements in kinect sports, its HARD in a good way.

For those without kinect, it might be a bit worse, but really, by next year you can probably score a kinect and play stuff like project draco, that rumored gears kinect game, or that grasshopper project, on top of stuff like gears 3 and whatever else MS will be announcing.
I don't know why so many people on this forum always seem to forget the amazing selection of XBLA software. It's like it doesn't count toward the 360's library of exclusive games. I love it that I can play something like Reach then play something smaller and different like Limbo or Hydro Thunder Hurricane.

ahoyle77

I havent read through the entire thread or anything, so forgive if this has been stated, but regarding the analyst concerned with the game attach rate to the Kinect...

Isn't the obvious answer to that that a ton, if not most of Kinects sold are being bought for Christmas gifts? I know two people in the past week that tracked down Kinect for their kids, and then asked me about what games to get. Games will be bought later on...the concern is finding the unit.

Barrage

If we can confirm that ACB 360 sold roughly 800K, we can begin to flesh out a Top 10 SKU CHart.

1.BLOPS 360
2.BLOPS PS3
3.Ass.Creed Bro. 360-800K
4.Just Dance II Wii-700K
5.Fable 3 360
6.DKCR Wii-430 K
7.Gran Turismo 4 PS3-400K
8.Wii Fit Plus Wii
9.Ass. Creed Bro. PS3-314K
10.Halo Reach 360

is my best guess.

GavinGT said:

1) Black Ops 360
2) Black Ops PS3
4) Just Dance 2

Yes after looking at the PC and Wii sales of the old games I agree, that should leave room for the PS3 AC version in the bottom of the top 10 at 400kish. Where did the 800k number come from though?

Top Bottom