• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Furin

Neo Member
Kinda new to the npd data. Are the numbers us only or are they global sales? Can Sony still make up some ground taking into account worldwide sales or is the November race over

NPD only covers the US but it also states X1 is the top seller in the UK. I assume that means PS4 is on top in Europe? The race is far from over, both consoles have only been a year!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The autofellatio in this post is almost palpable, and it disgusts me.

The point is just that there is more to Nintendo and the Wii U than nostalgia. Their games are undeniably amazing and the best or among the best in the industry - which of course drives those few sales that exist for their home console.

"November's PS4 sales of 800k + consoles added to the lead that the console has gained, continuing it's rampage as the fastest selling console of all eternity"

Splinter

Kinda surprised to see CoDAW selling more on Xbox One than on PS4, given the pretty large sales lead for the PS4. I thought players reported higher number in PS4s matchmaking. I'm assuming lots of those sales are presents tho.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I understand. But everyone's talking about US sales, while UK hasn't been mentioned. I haven't followed the sales over there, so I don't know if this is new.

Well people are talking US since this is the NPD. You could make a UK thread, we just do not know numbers for that.

big_z

Didn't Sony lose money on every PS3 for ages and still lower the price?

the company as a whole wasn't life support at that point. they did lose a lot of money for years on the ps3 though.

the design of the ps4 was to avoid having that happen again but now they have the rest of sony corp acting like cement boots.

CBOAT, why?

So Sony's US-lead is down to 800,000 now?

I thought their lead was only 800k before November. I don't follow sales closely though.

stryke

How and when is the global data revealed? Again sorry I'm new to this

You will have to rely on platform holders to release global sell through figures, and that happens when they feel like it. Or if you like you can look at shipment numbers from the company's financial reports.

Instro

Not sure what the PS3 and 360 sold, but I'm sure PS3+360+WiiU woud make up that difference. Either way the PS2 was a phenomenon and you could get an exceptional console for $79-$99 so it had a lot of selling points besides being seen as competition for the new arrivals.

Seems pretty unlikely.

Wii - 981K
Xbox 360 - 770K
PlayStation 2 - 496K
PlayStation 3 - 466K
=2.7m

This month current gen consoles combined for roughly 2.3m. There's no indication that the 360+PS3 sold anywhere close to 400k to make up the difference. Keep in mind that this was a supply constrained Wii as well. The console market is definitely contracting this gen, it will be very apparent next month as there is no way the console hardware is going to get close to 2007 December. Comparisons will probably continue to get worse after that.

Fdkn

Seems pretty unlikely.

Wii - 981K
Xbox 360 - 770K
PlayStation 2 - 496K
PlayStation 3 - 466K
=2.7m

This month current gen consoles combined for roughly 2.3m. There's no indication that the 360+PS3 sold anywhere close to 400k to make up the difference. Keep in mind that this was a supply constrained Wii as well. The console market is definitely contracting this gen, it will be very apparent next month as there is no way the console hardware is going to get close to 2007 December. Comparisons will probably continue to get worse after that.

I think I read earlier 360 > wiiU this month so they may have gotten to 400k indeed. Maybe Im wrong tho. It's been a long thread

RexNovis

Banned
Well if you are still in your return period you could return it. That's what I plan on doing if I can't sell it. It kind of sucks because I bought a bunch of games and controllers without playing it, so now I have a bunch of unopened stuff that I went around to different stores trying to get that I have to return if I don't sell it.

I have a 3 month return window from the second hand store I bought it from 2 weeks ago here in Japan so I still have some time left to think it over. We shall see. It'll all boil down to just how much I end up enjoying Smash me thinks. It's been pretty awesome so far.

Ohhhh that's what DPE was. What the he'll does DPE stand for? Lol

But yeah cheers!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Kinda surprised to see CoDAW selling more on Xbox One than on PS4, given the pretty large sales lead for the PS4. I thought players reported higher number in PS4s matchmaking. I'm assuming lots of those sales are presents tho.

co-marketing, dlc first, and the brand being associated with xbox last-gen. best version was on 360 last-gen, also people locking into xblg subscriptions, etc.

but yeah. there was evidence that pre-orders were in favor of xbone so it doesn't come as that much of a shock. i think ghosts xbone eventually surpassed ps4?

i expect sales to be pretty close though.

I thought their lead was only 800k before November. I don't follow sales closely though.

It was 1,150k I believe.

It's funny, though. I've been in these threads all year and it's so nice to suddenly see an army of new names in here, and that they all seem to be particularly sanguine about this result and posting stupidity like Sony is on life support, etc.

GamerJM

Banned
Seems pretty unlikely.

Wii - 981K
Xbox 360 - 770K
PlayStation 2 - 496K
PlayStation 3 - 466K
=2.7m

Well, the gap between the 360 and Wii was ~300k before this month and the 360 now has a higher LTD than the Wii. So 360+PS3 certainly could have sold close to 400k.

FourMyle

The point is just that there is more to Nintendo and the Wii U than nostalgia. Their games are undeniably amazing and the best or among the best in the industry - which of course drives those few sales that exist for their home console.

I think you looked into that "nostalgic gamer" thing way more than that poster who actually made the post did, which tells me you're incredibly emotional about this company. Everything else in your post is subjective, and calling yourself the most "quality conscious gamer" is just kind of sad. I would expect that kind of childish emotional attachment to a company from the literal children over at gamefaqs, albeit with more spelling/grammatical errors, not from one of the supposedly older/adult nintendo connoisseurs.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How and when is the global data revealed? Again sorry I'm new to this

well we get japan data every week i think. then npds once a month. i'm not sure about europe or the rest of asia. i think people just estimate the rest based on whenever sony does a world wide announcement or if the different region Sony's make some kind of official announcement? for example I think at PSX they had a counter that seemed to imply that they had sold around 14mil worldwide.

i'd have to defer to someone else though. there are a ton of people who participate in the npd threads who would know much better. i just pop into the threads that have drama in them ;)

RM8

I think you looked into that "nostalgic gamer" thing way more than that poster who actually made the post did, which tells me you're incredibly emotional about this company. Everything else in your post is subjective, and calling yourself the most "quality conscious gamer" is just kind of sad. I would expect that kind of childish emotional attachment to a company from the literal children over at gamefaqs, albeit with more spelling/grammatical errors, not from one of the supposedly older/adult nintendo connoisseurs.
The nostalgia argument is annoying, though, and it's been a thing since the N64 days. Only Nintendo becomes a nostalgic brand after 3 consoles, no one else.

C4Lukins

I want to know too. 400k of difference from xbone and ps4 where coming from? Just to understand.

We hve trustworthy sources who gave us pie charts for current gen consoles. The Nintendo press release gave us the Wii U numbers, and we were able to deduce the rest.

allan-bh

Just realized that on launch apparently Destiny sold more than CoD on PS4.

[PS4] Destiny ~891k + ~300k bundle = ~1191kk

[PS4] CoD: Advanced Warfare < 1170kk

Round numbers, so I'm not 100% sure.

I wake up to find out that CBoaT hijacked the thread and has been banned? I'm assuming we have no solid numbers yet but some good estimates?

Congrats to MS on the win. They really did all they could to try and make it happen.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I am not calling myself "the most quality-conscious gamer", I just wrote that i found the "nostalgic gamer"-expression reductionist, and wrote that quality-conscious "might be" another just as good description, since their games have an undeniable high.quality.I was not saying that I am (or nintendo-fans in general) are the most quality-conscious, that would indeed be ridiculous, and if you read it that way, it just shows that I am not the emotional and gamefaqey of us.

Edit: I am definitely open to the fact that I may have "looked into that way more" than what he meant, and it wasnt really directed at him, but the general sentiment that you often see here and elsehere, that Nintendo is all about nostalgia, when they in reality are so much more.

Top Bottom