• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Its could be more by now, but that's what is confirmed. Anything else is speculation.

Nothing's confirmed, actually.

Sony didn't tell us what the heck the '14 million' at its PSX montage meant. MS didn't confirm to us when exactly will they ship 10 million XB1s to retailers other than 'soon.'

quetz67

Banned
Can we focus on this a bit?

Are they really selling it at a "huge loss"?

I think from the "worst" bundles not much more than $200 is left for Microsoft. And production price below $250-300 would be a real suprise.

$50 at average would be a good approximation IMO

Valentus

wtf cboat, one of the most respected insiders here, throw all off the board.

Can the ratio WW still be 2:1 or something like 1,9-1,8 : 1 now?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Well, they produced a lot of units that have gone unsold. The storage of them is not cheap. The unbundling of Kinect was not cheap. The price cut wasn't free. The bundling of two Ubisoft games was not free. On top of that it was sold at a loss. By my definition that would constitute a huge loss. I could be wrong, of course.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So did we get numbers? I recall seeing a graph and it seems like the breakdown was the following in terms of sales:

X1: 55% of all console sales
PS4: 35%
WiiU: 15%

Was it something like that? The fact that WiiU got 15% is baffling since they had NO major deals at all.

TomShoe

Banned
So did we get numbers? I recall seeing a graph and it seems like the breakdown was the following in terms of sales:

X1: 55% of all console sales
PS4: 35%
WiiU: 15%

Was it something like that? The fact that WiiU got 15% is baffling since they had NO major deals at all.

It's the console for the kiddiez breh

With Mario and Pokeychu and all that jank

I thought the GTAV bundle would had a higher % of sales.

Only 340/840? I was expecting Sony to ship 500k of those at least for black friday.

same here, i thought they were going to stuff the crap out of it. i wonder if it was too expensive for them or just didnt believe in the megaton bundle

MS should do another batch of white SSO for Jan.

Maybe not Sunset Overdrive but they definitely should release a white console with maybe another game.

Same for Sony, they should release a white console that is not Destiny bundle.

Anyway, this is great for Microsoft. I want both MS and Sony to work their asses off and bring the good for us gamers. MS making Sony work harder is nothing but great. I do wonder if they will keep the low price for January...

Surprised Halo is #10, the game kinda bombed or Halo isn't what is used to be ? Happy Far Cry 4 charted, the game deserves it, it's an amazing game !

FrankT

I do wonder how some of these titles did digitally for the month. NPD software wise really giving just a limited picture at this point. Could have been some big numbers on some of these titles.

Syrus

Banned
Well, they produced a lot of units that have gone unsold. The storage of them is not cheap. The unbundling of Kinect was not cheap. The price cut wasn't free. The bundling of two Ubisoft games was not free. On top of that it was sold at a loss. By my definition that would constitute a huge loss. I could be wrong, of course.

They most likely used their inventory which is good actually. The Kinect im sure hurts but they can just stop production and used unsold ones.

I dont think MS paid ubisoft full price of those games. I bet this loss is alot less then people here think it is.

Castef

Banned
I think from the "worst" bundles not much more than $200 is left for Microsoft. And production price below $250-300 would be a real suprise.

$50 at average would be a good approximation IMO

A year ago it was hinted that producing a Xbox One was costing Microsoft about 470 USD, with 75 of them required by the bundled Kinect.

Now... the most expensive part of Xbox One is its GPU, valued at about 110$. Again, I'm talking about prices from one year ago.

Considering how fast technology develops and how fast prices of this kind of components fall in time I'd be REALLY surprised if a stand-alone Xbox One costs TO MICROSOFT more than 180/200 USD.

Elandyll

Banned

Back in November 2013, it was estimated that the PS4 was pretty much at break even point or near, and that the XB1 was also close at $499.
The Kinect was a big chunk of the extra $99, but it is also estimated that due to the size of the SOC (ESRAM takes a lot of space), the XB1 actually is slightly more costly to produce than the PS4 (you also have to include a more costly dual band Wifi chip).
The PS4 has GDDR5, which is a bit more expensive than DDR3, but not by much by now, and the ESRAM and complex SOC make for a (probable) more costly XB1 overall.

The other factor you have to account for is that for most of the year the XB1 was drawing from existing inventory after MS stuffed the channels back in end of '13.
That means lowering your output in factories, or having to deal with massive storage costs, stockpiling consoles. What that means is that the reduction in production cost that come with large orders might not have been as substantial for the XB1 as they would be for the PS4 all year long (particularly due to how poor the XB1 sold WW apparently).

So the commonly accepted fact is that while the PS4 probably makes a (small) profit per console sold, the XB1 is making a much smaller one, if any at all. Probably breaks even all in all.

So right now, what that would mean (if correct), is that each ACU bundle sold costs $50 straight out, and the cost of the software that MS has to buy from Ubisoft is on top of that.
The consumer value of such software is around $80, but of course that's not what Ubi is charging MS. I think (guess, based on the published "cost of software chart") they probably charge somewhere around $10 per Black Flag, and $30 per ACU, so another $40 per console sold.
BF is a special limited promo, so I won't consider the extra $20 and the occasional gift card, but what we have here (potentially) is

1.2m console sold x $90 loss per console = $108.000.000 loss in one month.
But it did manage to get them a 33% reduction in the PS4's lead in the US, this being said.

Obviously, this is all extrapolation and guesswork based on various info sources (which may themselves be correct or not).

TomShoe

Banned
A year ago it was hinted that producing a Xbox One was costing Microsoft about 470 USD, with 75 of them required by the bundled Kinect.

Now... the most expensive part of Xbox One is its GPU, valued at about 110$. Again, I'm talking about prices from one year ago.

Considering how fast technology develops and how fast prices of this kind of components fall in time I'd be REALLY surprised if a stand-alone Xbox One costs TO MICROSOFT more than 180/200 USD.

Technology drops in price quickly, but suggesting Microsoft managed to cut production costs in half in one year (Kinect not included) is hard to swallow.

There's a first time for everything. A $100 drop is unnecessary, although it would really put the hurt on Microsoft.

Cerny built the PS4 specifically to be scalable in tech so the Sony can cut the price at a much faster rate while still being profitable. It was one of the most important issues to Cerny and Sony, after the PS3 disaster.

Syrus

Banned
Technology drops in price quickly, but suggesting Microsoft managed to cut production costs in half in one year (Kinect not included) is hard to swallow.

It seems like they will burn through alotnif that stock and maybe start making more white ones if they were smart

Bluenoser

I'm happy MS did well, I mean, how could you not be happy since them selling the XBO with great prices and usually a lot of bundled software means that Sony did it's best to try and compete.
Really, I can't see anyone (who is worth their salt) who didn't pick up both boxes this season. There were compelling software on both boxes and both could be bought as their was ample stock.

I didn't plan on having both XBO and PS4 yet but with the prices and bundles it was a no-brainer. Now while my wallet weeps I need to figure out how to find time to play all this software.

Not sure how I feel about being labeled like that simply because I chose not to waste my money on something I didn't want. As you said in your last sentence, time is against us and there's not enough of it to play all the games. Last thing I need is another console that plays 95% of the same games I can play now.

If Nintendo were to finally swallow their pride and drop the WiiU price, I would jump on it though. I would make time for Zelda, Xenoblade, etc.

I'm glad MS did well. For a while I was getting worried we weren't going to have competition anymore, but now, I know competition will continue.

Street fighter? Every console maker " moneyhats", its the name of the game to bring more appeal to their platform even if it is a well known game. MS and even Wii U being here trying to get exclusive is a good thing as oppose to competition.

Edit for clarification

Thanks for proving my point I guess?

Maybe not Sunset Overdrive but they definitely should release a white console with maybe another game.

Same for Sony, they should release a white console that is not Destiny bundle.

Anyway, this is great for Microsoft. I want both MS and Sony to work their asses off and bring the good for us gamers. MS making Sony work harder is nothing but great. I do wonder if they will keep the low price for January...

Surprised Halo is #10, the game kinda bombed or Halo isn't what is used to be ? Happy Far Cry 4 charted, the game deserves it, it's an amazing game !

I kept trying to warn people that thinking an HD remake would sell as well as the original was never going to happen. Not with God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, Street Fighter II, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Wii Sports, Resident Evil, Riddick, and now GTA & Halo. For every person who is blown away by the trip down nostalgia lane, there are 3 people who think "I played this 5-10 years ago and have a copy on my shelf, pass."

MCC underperformed even my modest prediction of just over 1 million units, it sold less than half of Halo 3 ODST. Halo 5 will be fine, but 343i really, really need to nail the multiplayer or the franchise is toast as system seller.

quetz67

Banned
It seems like they will burn through alotnif that stock and maybe start making more white ones if they were smart

Probably less than a year as most of them were sitting in warehouses/on shelves for an unknown amount of time.

And ramping down production after launch period doesn't really help getting the lowest prices.

Halo MCC probably sold a lot of digital copies. Seems like the type of game people would say 'I wanna always have it on my hard drive cause I'll be playing it forever!'

This was of course when people thought it was gonna work consistently

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nah wasn't fed wrong info. Just did it to troll

I don't know about you, but knowing it was written in CBOATese (ha! "tease"!) I read it as possibly being 710K difference. That seems in line with LTD reality.

He SHOULD have used something other than -, like "7*% 10 diffK", or at least followed up with another cryptic deflection when people thought 7K to 10K.

His silence when he knew people took it the wrong way is probably why he deserves the ban.

FrankT

Halo MCC probably sold a lot of digital copies. Seems like the type of game people would say 'I wanna always have it on my hard drive cause I'll be playing it forever!'

This was of course when people thought it was gonna work consistently

Yea, definitely believe so. Got it myself that way. Too bad we will likely never get the full picture. Screwing up launches suck.

Biker19

Banned
Why can't they? Sony have what for the holiday? Uncharted 4? They spread thier titles all over the year, when it come to holiday,
it will be forza6, halo 5, tomb raider maybe QB vs uncharted 4 and...weather patch for Bloodborne?
Not to mention MS have another COD and AC marketing deal, Sony don't have destiny to save them this time around.

You serious with this post?

I think they can slash it to a point that Sony can't aford to follow and stop there.

You really think companies like MS & Sony care about beating someone just to be #1 in a certain territory over profitability? C'mon.

Miles X

X1: 53.5% of all console sales
PS4: 36%
WiiU: 10.5%

Fixed

What's really scary is that the ps4 sold really well without any significant price drop. Congrats to all three I must say.

This is what I'm taking out of it too. X1 taking the month was expected, but what's surprising to me is the PS4 keeping up strong momentum without any change in the price since launch.

Total WW will probably approaching 20M by January. In other words, nearly 1/4th of the total of the PS3 and 360 installed bases over 8 years of sales in one single year (and a bit). And without any change in the price since launch. If we're going to use the "it's a marathon, not a sprint" analogy, a price drop to $299 in 2015 and another to $199 a couple more years should yield a huge LTD number.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

We can all pull numbers out of nowhere, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if MS is making money on each console sold.

I keep thinking how bad business XBO is. They're selling it at a huge loss. They aren't making money from this win. But! Right now it's not about being profitable. They just need to unload stock. What really must sting is having to split the money with Ubisoft.

If Sony and Microsoft both agreed to produce 1 million units per month for 12 months, which is logical since they both believed in their products and is how things are done, would mean that Microsoft has a huge warehouse full of Xboxes. They need to unload that. Their reasoning must be that they need to create a product that people want while still being able to produce more units.

Before November there was little reason to produce a single more unit of XBO. The stock they've already built would last them another year before it sold out. They were desperate and the money was already spent. They needed to make some of that back.

Are they happy it turned out that way? Probably not, but it was the best they could do with what they had. It was impossible to turn a profit out of the situation. If it hadn't succeeded they'd more or less had to leave the industry. This wasn't about profits; it was about maintaining status quo. And they sold a ton of units but the hard part is being able to turn one month into a habit.

Sony, on the other hand, turned a profit from this and are probably happy. They'd be happier if they had outsold Microsoft, of course or just straight out sold more units. They have little choice but to continue to make money.

So they both did what they could. Let's see what this leads to long-term.

NPD is back, baby!!

NPD combines the Wii U/3DS version of Smash, but separates the Pokemon games? WTF?

13z38+

Wait am I supposed to believe Kaz or the info from the OP?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Lego Batman 3 didn't even make top 10... I wonder how the game did.

pr0cs

Not sure how I feel about being labeled like that simply because I chose not to waste my money on something I didn't want. .
I feel sorry for you then, you'll miss out on a lot of really great games because 'you didn't want the box'.
Gaming is my hobby, and I'd rather be able to play all the games that interest me than watch from the sidelines because I couldn't afford to buy a console even for it's exclusives.

TomShoe

Banned
Still waiting for Digimon All-Star Rumble numbers.

Then the forthcoming excuse by Bamco on why they won't bring Digimon Cyber Sleuth to the West.

Top Bottom