• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Ty4on

It was also pissing me off how people were being like "Well, she didn't correct CBOAT, so he must have been correct lol."

It's never appropriate to assume any live data leak is true unless it's from a trusted source.

I feel bad for thinking that :/

It made a lot of sense in hindsight, but I thought at first the issue was how people took it and not that it was made up.
I also really don't know why MS didn't say 'over one million' or even 'over 1.2 million' instead of the vague 'best selling month' and lumping together US and UK as if they needed to be combined. Did they expect more? :p

allan-bh

I feel bad for thinking that :/

It made a lot of sense in hindsight, but I thought at first the issue was how people took it and not that it was made up.
I also really don't know why MS didn't say 'over one million' or even 'over 1.2 million' instead of the vague 'best selling month' and lumping together US and UK as if they needed to be combined. Did they expect more? :p

People loves cboat, even after Titanfall Alpha textures fiasco they still believe

Emedan

They sold likely 1 million XBOs, pleased the fanbase while likely convincing mainstream gamers who look at IGN and nothing else that they're not just a second place console, and recovered sales wise faster than PS3 did (afaik). If the fanbase didn't give a fuck about who was selling faster or just didn't know at all, MS wouldn't care as long as it sold moderately well, which it is.

So its kind of a moot point at this time since it was based on false information but had it been correct it would still be defined as a Pyrrhic victory.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Copy/paste quote because I cannot find the original post lol:

PR say Advanced Warfare is best selling SKU this year so far on PS4, PS3 , XB1 and X360.

Going by the infos we have:

No PS4 game sold more than 1.17m this year.

No XB1 game sold more than 1.26m this year.

No 360 game sold more than 1.31m this year.

No PS3 game more than 765k this year.

Is it me or these numbers looks kinda low?

They do look low, but I'm not sure how that PS4 number aligns with what we have been hearing from Ubisoft. Watch Dogs has supposedly sold 9M worldwide... but the primary platform in the largest market only sold 1.17m? That does not add up at all. Unless the split was a lot more slanted towards 360/PS3 in other markets, it seems implausible.

There's just too many barriers still.
Bad bandwith access, lack of harddrive space, utterly terrible digital merchandising (it's much easier to walk into a store and find content on a shelf, or to hvae a GameStop rep recommend titles to you to pick up) than digital storefronts offer right now. There's less "window shopping" - current behavior tends to have people logging into storefronts when they know a game is out they want, buying that, and not really browsing. You get less product per basket that way.
That is my view on it as well. Enthusiasts tend to have this notion of the general public holding smaller or indie games in contempt, when the reality is they are barely even aware of their existence. You'll get the break outs like Minecraft and Five Nights At Freddie's, but that is a fraction of a fraction of small developer output. Mobile is largely dominated by big companies with hefty app install campaigns (or beyond that, actual Sunday Night Football ads which cost MONEY). Curation is a disaster outside of the digital channels that focus on full fledged PC games. A lot of people have moved to digital for linear entertainment that can be straight up streamed and works identically on mobile (movies and music), or has a bandwith footprint approaching zero (ebooks). Gaming is neither of those.

I'm not seeing this all digital utopia happening anytime soon. Comcast is too entrenched. Companies are still pathetically stingy about storage space (if iOS9 does not take longer to hit 60% of devices than iOS8, I'll be shocked). Fast broadband and the ubiquity of storage should have dragged us a lot further along by now. Hooray for Walmart, I guess.

allan-bh

They do look low, but I'm not sure how that PS4 number aligns with what we have been hearing from Ubisoft. Watch Dogs has supposedly sold 9M worldwide... but the primary platform in the largest market only sold 1.17m? That does not add up at all. Unless the split was a lot more slanted towards 360/PS3 in other markets, it seems implausible.

Watch Dogs is more successful on Europe.

orochi91

It was also pissing me off how people were being like "Well, she didn't correct CBOAT, so he must have been correct lol."

It's never appropriate to assume any live data leak is true unless it's from a trusted source.

Yea, my bad. I'm totally guilty of that.

Apologies :3

joecanada

Thanks aqua,

Interesting difference, Ms has bit more work to do it appears than just two good months....
350k difference is substantial but so is that Gap

How is it even possible? Do ppl just care about which one is cheaper? It doesn't make sense to me.

Well since most households only get one console (and most households can be fairly strapped for cash towards the holidays), I'd say it makes perfect sense.

Hell, back in the 16-bit days, people only had either SNES or Genesis - not both. Which is partly why the divide of fanboys was so great back in the day.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Watch Dogs is more successful on Europe.
I guess that explains it. If you take those numbers as "here as is what Advanced Warfare sold on each platform" it still seems a bit low. There were articles out after it launched about how it did not see a sales decline. Maybe the drop the off after Modern Warfare 3 was more severe than I realized and it has simply stabilized at this point.

Everything he leaked about MS and the Xbone turned out to be true though, good and bad, with the exception of the titanfall fiasco.
In a year where stuff got pushed out the door in "release candidate" status (or notably worse), I would not find it hard to believe that the display resolution was a moving target and he simply had slightly outdated information. What he said in this thread had no basis in reality though. Sad times. He was the best of the best before everything turned into Turing level cryptography.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The ultimate soothsayer.

Weird for MS not to hammer this. They even used some larger MS rep rather than MN or Phil. A very different approach compared to normal.

Beating a dead horse (i.e. Wii U) is maybe not too attrictive for them. You also don't see Nintendo boasting the advantage 3DS has over PSV ;).

Aeqvitas

I think the first 30 or so pages of this thread could be a case study in confirmation bias. People latched onto something from a clearly biased source, and the evidence itself was nonsensical (I tried to point out that the fact alone that the "leak" was a range of numbers made no sense). People just gobbled it up like it was a fact without any critical discussion.

What is scariest is that within minutes, people on other forums like reddit and twitter were parroting the statement as if it was an early source, but without mentioning who the source was. It shows why FUD spreads so fast in the gaming community.

Hopefully this whole thing will be a reminder to people to think before they repost information, even if that information fulfills their hopes and dreams.

Opiate

Overall hardware sales decreased significantly, even as Xbone/PS4 had very good months.

This is compatible with market contraction. For people who are either not well versed in Economics/Market studies or who are not well versed in games in particular (or both), this may seem superficially confusing.

A clearer example of this can be seen with software; people will point out that GTA and Elder Scrolls are selling better than ever, and wonder why anyone could suggest that the software market (in this case I mean the console retail market) is contracting.

Generally speaking, the only time we literally see everything in an entire market start selling worse is when a market collapses entirely, not when it contracts. A complete, uniform reduction in sales would spell imminent doom, and we don't see that. Contraction is not so disastrous, and tends to present with the winners winning more and the losers exiting the market, until only a few companies / franchises can still be classified as "winners." We can see that quite clearly in the console software market.

In the hardware market contraction, we'd expect to see casual consumers exit first, and that's what we're seeing in two ways; first, Nintendo had a disproportionate share of casual users, and is clearly being hit the hardest. Second, Sony/MS's last generation machines are selling unexpectedly poorly, which indicates there are fewer late buyers than people anticipated, and these buyers are disproportionately casual too. Further, if contraction is happening, we'd expect to see the remaining consumers spend more -- that's how markets tend to compensate for the loss of a broader consumer base -- and again, I believe we're seeing that.

Prine

Banned
Everything he leaked about MS and the Xbone turned out to be true though, good and bad, with the exception of the titanfall fiasco.
No, he has been wrong many times. Don't care to list them, someone else can. But main one being snap was broken (retail) and chat was being released broken (rather than being different fro 360)

allan-bh

I think he said something about 3GB RAM limit for indie games on Xbox One.

He also said that a storm was coming, implying a big problem for Xbox One close to launch.

Overall hardware sales decreased significantly, even as Xbone/PS4 had very good months.

This is compatible with market contraction. For people who are either not well versed in Economics/Market studies or who are not well versed in games in particular (or both), this may seem superficially confusing.

A clearer example of this can be seen with software; people will point out that GTA and Elder Scrolls are selling better than ever, and wonder why anyone could suggest that the software market (in this case I mean the console retail market) is contracting.

Generally speaking, the only time we literally see everything in an entire market start selling worse is when a market collapses entirely, not when it contracts. A complete, uniform reduction in sales would spell imminent doom, and we don't see that. Contraction is not so disastrous, and tends to present with the winners winning more and the losers exiting the market, until only a few companies / franchises can still be classified as "winners." We can see that quite clearly in the console software market.

In the hardware market contraction, we'd expect to see casual consumers exit first, and that's what we're seeing in two ways; first, Nintendo had a disproportionate share of casual users, and is clearly being hit the hardest. Second, Sony/MS's last generation machines are selling unexpectedly poorly, which indicates there are fewer late buyers than people anticipated, and these buyers are disproportionately casual too. Further, if contraction is happening, we'd expect to see the remaining consumers spend more -- that's how markets tend to compensate for the loss of a broader consumer base -- and again, I believe we're seeing that.

Your last point isn't completely fair. The onus is on console manufacturers to get down to that $100 pricepoint for previous gen consoles, as they've done in generations prior.

We're also grasping at straws for digital share each month.

Purest 78

After reading Activisions' comments, digital sales on the PS4 and Xone must be flourishing. That's great to know and I'm happy with that. Retail might be down a bit, but digital must be making up some of the difference.

1st time I've bought cod digitally, I assume lots of people enjoy the convenience Of buying digital.

allan-bh

I guess that explains it. If you take those numbers as "here as is what Advanced Warfare sold on each platform" it still seems a bit low. There were articles out after it launched about how it did not see a sales decline. Maybe the drop the off after Modern Warfare 3 was more severe than I realized and it has simply stabilized at this point.

Advanced Warfare had about 25% drop compared to Ghosts last year.

RedAssedApe

Banned
anyone know what UK numbers were seeing as how MS included a mention of them being the best selling in Nov in UK.

Any word on PS4s final numbers yet? Looks like xbox did 1.2m in US alone if I read this thread right? Thats insane...

umm just look a few posts above :\

Second, Sony/MS's last generation machines are selling unexpectedly poorly, which indicates there are fewer late buyers than people anticipated, and these buyers are disproportionately casual too.

Not disagreeing with your points overall but how much does this one have to do with both ps3 and 360 being priced way higher than their predecessors at this period in time relative to the generation? By this time the ps2 was $99.

Good numbers all around. MS did good in November. However, December might go to MS as well. Don't they have a 12 days of Christmas sale still going on. I don't see the Xbox returning to the $400 vantage point come 2015. Will Sony drop $50 or will they try to ride out the wave and see how the market reacts?

Elandyll

Banned
They haven't said anything? They should say something imo.

What do you expect them to say in regard to the November BPD?

"We are not number 1 this month, see you in January?"

I think they are probably waiting for a nice round number WW before making any sort of announcement, which they might not have hit yet.

Maybe waiting for 15m sold through? Or 20 if they are beyond that?

No, he has been wrong many times. Don't care to list them, someone else can. But main one being snap was broken (retail) and chat was being released broken (rather than being different fro 360)

Prince of Persia also. I really think that people like his gimick with the weird posting style, so they were willing to ignore the times that he was wrong.

Opiate

Your last point isn't completely fair. The onus is on console manufacturers to get down to that $100 pricepoint for previous gen consoles, as they've done in generations prior.

We're also grasping at straws for digital share each month.

I think it shows how difficult and messy this data is to work with. I definitely agree there are other possible explanations for the data we're seeing.

I try to be careful with my wording -- so, for instance, I said that the data is "compatible" with contraction rather than that it proves contraction.

Paracelsus

Good numbers all around. MS did good in November. However, December might go to MS as well. Don't they have a 12 days of Christmas sale still going on. I don't see the Xbox returning to the $400 vantage point come 2015. Will Sony drop $50 or will they try to ride out the wave and see how the market reacts?

Worldwide is near locked, we're past the point exclusive KA make an impact or change a generation, and their support will never go away. Sony might as well just shrug and keep going their way. Cut and make a loss? Keep going and build that chest for as long as you can? Splitting hairs really.

Top Bottom