• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Does that include the VitaTV? Or Sold to consumers at that? It is not like the thing is flying off shelves in Japan either

Like Takao already posted yes they include VitaTV to the numbers and yes shipped mean sold to the stores but stores don't order more consoles quarter after quarter if they still have a lot of existing stock. Vita actually outshipped WiiU for both Q1 and Q2 and it's even more dead in west than WiiU. It must have some other markets besides Japan where it does decently.

Miles X

XB1 and PS4 have had incredible first years, anyone that downplays XB1's performance in the US this year are crazy.

Assuming XB1 pulls in another 1m~ (so 6m for 2014) this is how it stacks against the best years last gen

1. Wii 2008 - 10.17m
2. Wii 2009 - 9.59m
3. 360 2011 - 7.27m
4. Wii 2010 - 7.07m
5. 360 2010 - 6.76m
6. PS4 2014 - 6.40m (assuming a 800k Dec)
7. Wii 2008 - 6.29m
8. XB1 2014 - 6m (assuming a 1.1m Dec)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
HOLY SHIT guys. The record for any NPD thread is 7,110 posts. We're about to shatter that record.

jeLjCLN.gif

Guymelef

He really did, though.

Such a stupid idea....maybe someone deliberately sabotaged him?

That's the problem when you rely on others for sources instead of leaking things yourself...it's very, very easy to fake NPD data.

I thought the same... Easy way to catch the rat.

XB1 and PS4 have had incredible first years, anyone that downplays XB1's performance in the US this year are crazy.

Assuming XB1 pulls in another 1m~ (so 6m for 2014) this is how it stacks against the best years last gen

1. Wii 2008 - 10.17m
2. Wii 2009 - 9.59m
3. 360 2011 - 7.27m
4. Wii 2010 - 7.07m
5. 360 2010 - 6.76m
6. PS4 2014 - 6.40m (assuming a 800k Dec)
7. Wii 2008 - 6.29m
8. XB1 2014 - 6m (assuming a 1.1m Dec)

wait what? you're throwing in the two months of 2013 in there, which makes no sense

He really did, though.

That's the problem when you rely on others for sources instead of leaking things yourself...it's very, very easy to fake NPD data.

Considering what sort of information cboat has been privy to in the past, it is really surprising to see him/her post NDP info, and have it be so wrong. Maybe he just doesn't care anymore?

Miles X

wait what? you're throwing in the two months of 2013 in there, which makes no sense

Oh yeah >< I have my LTD's and 2014 numbers alongside each other. #deflated.

I suppose 4m and 4.5m respectively are okay for XB1 and PS4. On par with PS3 years.

I knew it was too good to be true!

Sony PR:

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday. On the network side, November was the biggest month ever in PlayStation Store history with a nearly 50 percent increase in unique visitors compared to last year. We couldn&#8217;t have done any of this without the support of our fans. The immediate success of PlayStation Experience and celebration of the 20th Anniversary demonstrates tremendous dedication to the PlayStation platform. We are humbled by the loyalty of our fans and look forward to amazing them in 2015."

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Oh yeah >< I have my LTD's and 2014 numbers alongside each other. #deflated.

I suppose 4m and 4.5m respectively are okay for XB1 and PS4. On par with PS3 years.

Seems kinda underwhelming to compare the leading console this gen to the last placed console last gen though.

Much better than the PS3's first year I imagine?

Seems kinda underwhelming to compare the leading console this gen to the last placed console last gen though.

I was going to say....having PS4 sell only 4.5 million for 2014 would imply that PS4 sold only ~900,000 in December.

Considering how well PS4 did in November, one can only assume that it will do >1 million at the bare minimum.

Miles X

Yeah, (2.5m) better than 360's 3.9m (hopefully) as well.

I was going to say....having PS4 sell only 4.5 million for 2014 would imply that PS4 sold only ~900,000 in December.

Considering how well PS4 did in November, one can only assume that it will do >1 million at the bare minimum.

Wouldn't exactly say that's the bare minimum, below 1m would really surprise you huh? There seem to be few bundles or any sort of hype over PS4 deals right now.

Hero

I'll help out...in a random, erratic way spread out over a period of time.

To begin with, I'll say a number, and you can try to figure out what it means.

Or just watch closely for some phenomenon on an unspecified later date.

Are you ready?

All right, here we go.

Ouya or Playstation TV numbers?

Wouldn't exactly say that's the bare minimum, below 1m would really surprise you huh? There seem to be few bundles or any sort of hype over PS4 deals right now.

Doesn't mean it's not selling well at the market.

Similar situations:

1) 360 sold 0.8 million in November 2007. In December 2007, it managed 1.3 million.

2) 360 sold 0.8 million in November 2008. In December 2008, it managed 1.4 million.

3) PS3 sold 0.7 million in November 2009. In December 2009, it managed 1.4 million.

4) PS3 sold 0.5 million in November 2010. In December 2010, it managed 1.2 million.

5) Wii sold 0.9 million in November 2011. In December 2011, it managed 1.1 million.

...The PS4 should manage 1 million. Maybe not much more than 1 million...but it's at a good place in the market right now.

But who knows. Maybe the market front-loaded sales to November and December is getting weaker. Maybe market trends are reducing December to the point that PS4 is flat MOM.

We need more retail indications.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Guess I'll keep the auto refresh on this page in hopes of 360, PS3, Wii, Vita and a more precise Wii U number.

I wish Aqua did pie charts. Pie charts are awesome. That or Professor Layton-esque puzzles. ;)
But who knows. Maybe the market front-loaded sales to November and December is getting weaker. Maybe market trends are reducing December to the point that PS4 is flat MOM.
I posted this earlier in the thread. December historically has on average been 21% to 31% of yearly sales more recently toward the lower end.

He really did, though.

This is what I think about cboat. He probably never had direct access to his leaks, but he knows people who have them. He probably got info by having "genuine" conversations with those people. It's really not that hard to pinpoint who he really is if you are one of the sources cboat has been using.

I don't get it, are people really that concerned about how much money MS lost/made with their bundle deals? Isn't MS like the second largest company in the whole world? Who cares if they lose some money to push console units.

Feels like it's just a subtle way of trying to diminish their victory in Nov NPD.
I'm not concerned but I do think it's an interesting tactic and worth discussing. Assuming they're going into the red at that price, one wonders a) how long they can keep it up and b) whether it was a smart move in the long run.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Someone with access to the data should tell us how much the ASP changed for each of the current-gen systems (Xbox One, PS4) from November 2013 to November 2014. I think that would be pretty telling.

He really did, though.

Amirox was saying that might've been a code-way to mention the LTD difference btwn the two, but I don't know.

Want to believe it. Really want to believe it, but I don't think that's something worth phrasing like that (or maybe it is, dunno).

Also want to believe it because CBOAT was a very enjoyable poster throughout last year before the systems came out; would hate if they got out the game because of a few bad plays.

This is what I think about cboat. He probably never had direct access to his leaks, but he knows people who have them. He probably got info by having "genuine" conversations with those people. It's really not that hard to pinpoint who he really is if you are one of the sources cboat has been using.
He used to work at MS iirc; maybe he talked w/ MS employees :[

I'm not concerned but I do think it's an interesting tactic and worth discussing. Assuming they're going into the red at that price, one wonders a) how long they can keep it up and b) whether it was a smart move in the long run.

If they're going to spend a lot of money to get the user base, now is the best time to do it. Good sales, good word of mouth etc, it won't harm them.

The long game for them will be to try and get a lead in the US which... well I didn't really think a sizeable lead was really that possible but after this month, if they can win December (on the basis of closing the gap further, not actually "winning") and then keeping the price at $349, then maybe it is a possibility for showing demand and interest in the system.

I would be very interested to see how going to $349 and bundling FH2 with SO or Halo MCC would do for them in the "quieter months" of the year which I think they should definitely do. A bundle of their own games would presumably reduces their losses (not paying a third party publisher for the games) and is very competitive whatever Sony offer up for The Order and Bloodborne which will be good months for them [Sony] to win.

MS have to be below PS4 in US and offer good deals, if they do that then they can get the user base there to sell big numbers on their exclusives and 3rd party titles, which will help reduce losses and as the systems costs come down can help them to eventually not be leaking so much in bundles etc.

If MS go hard in the US, I don't think Sony will go out of their way to match them on price if they're actually making money on the PS4 and the offers they have

AmFreak

Why mention the lead? Do you think it was a 400,000 unit lead after 2 weeks? Because that seems unlikely. They most likely built on that lead and made it even larger after that, so having a lead is irrelevant. If the Seahawks have a 10 point lead going into half time and then win by 20, would you say: yeah, they won by 20 but they had a decent lead?

I was talking about them winning November.
"They won Nov with a decent lead."
= them winning November by a decent amount.
Nothing else.

Aeqvitas

I don't see why this sort of conspiracy theory gains so much traction. The dude was already demonstrably show to be flat out wrong in march. If it was really not his fault and bad sources, he would have known then.

The evidence at hand strongly suggests he has an ax to grind with MS and is more concerned about stirring up FUD.

Maybe in the past the guy was legit. But things change, and maybe the guy is just trying to dig for attention by trolling because people with the mindset that he is not at fault keep believing in him.

Ok, I gave up at page ten, why did CBOAT get banned?

He implied that PS4 and XB1 sales this month were only 7-10K apart which created a lot of chaos.

In reality, they were more than 350K apart.

GAF management has no tolerance for fake leaks, especially for fake NPD leaks.

Amirox was saying that might've been a code-way to mention the LTD difference btwn the two, but I don't know.

Want to believe it. Really want to believe it, but I don't think that's something worth phrasing like that (or maybe it is, dunno).

Also want to believe it because CBOAT was a very enjoyable poster throughout last year before the systems came out; would hate if they got out the game because of a few bad plays.

If that were the case, why would he say "7-10K diff"?

"K" always means 1000 without fail.

Now if he said "700-1000K diff," or even "7-10," I would understand...but that's just straight-up misleading.

According to my numbers 710k (7-10k) is not the difference, and even if it is, cboat had a chance to address the situation after the meltdown.

710K is indeed an incorrect number of PS4 and XB1 LTD difference. It's not even all that close, either (the real LTD difference isn't like 705K or 715K).

JaggedSac

cboat made a statement in the past along the lines of "if I haven't convinced you to not buy a bone yet, there's nothing else I can do". He certainly has an ax to grind. If he works at MS and had to sit and watch the implosion from the inside out, I'd have probably had an ax to grind too.

Prine

Banned
Getting the hardware in and ramping up subscriptions is probably their strategy, remember they have big plans for services , sure it opens up lots of strategic opportunities, essentially push Windows 10 into living rooms with ease whichnmay validate their investment. Regardless, seems as if they want to use a different business model. But of all things to worry about, MS deep pockets isn't one of them. Their share prices have risen sharply since Nadella came on board, lots of confidence all round for MS atm.

cboat made a statement in the past along the lines of "if I haven't convinced you to not buy a bone yet, there's nothing else I can do". He certainly has an ax to grind. If he works at MS and had to sit and watch the implosion from the inside out, I'd have probably had an ax to grind too.

He leaked info about the 360 before its announcement too though. If he hated working for MS (if he worked there) would he really have stayed for 10 years~?

Also, he has barely said anything this year (post TF), which leaves me to think that he had much less to complain about and leak. Perhaps things got better over there and his post was intended as a parting gift to Xbox fans!

Oh well, I look forward to his E3 post.

Welfare

He leaked info about the 360 before its announcement too though. If he hated working for MS (if he worked there) would he really have stayed for 10 years~?

Also, he has barely said anything this year (post TF), which leaves me to think that he had much less to complain about and leak. Perhaps things got better over there and his post was intended as a parting gift to Xbox fans!

Oh well, I look forward to his E3 post.

He probably had nothing much to say this year thanks to ntkrnl.

I await his second coming.

Has anyone or can anyone post the top ten November NPDs for hardware? How does this one stack up to past years on record? What about the past top ten December numbers to look forward to 2014 results?

He implied that PS4 and XB1 sales this month were only 7-10K apart which created a lot of chaos.

In reality, they were more than 350K apart.

GAF management has no tolerance for fake leaks, especially for fake NPD leaks.

Okay... isn't this the second consecutive time CBOAT leaked what seems to be deliberately wrong information? What is going on?

In happier news, I didn't know you were back, welcome!

IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW?

Chobel

Do you have its numbers for November?
I asked earlier, sorry for asking again if you saw it but don't have them etc

~110k, not including bundle or digital sales of course.

Oops, that number is for October, not November. My bad, I have no idea about its November sales.

Prine

Banned
He probably had nothing much to say this year thanks to ntkrnl.

I await his second coming.

ntkrnl took control away from 3 dedicated Xbox one FUD spreaders that were insiders (or assumed to be), Mort, thuway and cboat, those 3 caused a lot of misinformation about the console and ms plans. It was unbearable to read Xbox threads during that time, as the misinformation would be used as facts and chaos would ensue. Since ntkrl dropped bombs the atmosphere regarding x1 did change, and so did the discussions, as we now used reliable info to have more accurate conversations. I do hope we see him again, he's probably the most senior insider I've had the pleasure to read...hope he chimes in soon. He essentisll delivered e3 4 months early.

gthobbes

Banned
Biggest sales time of the year and only 1 EA game made the list -- I love it.

No FIFA, UFC, NHL, NBA Live, PvZ, Dragons Age or Titanfall anywhere to be found. Too bad madden was available dirt cheap or else it probably wouldn't have made the list either. Too bad.

I almost want to email them about prices...

I love how they advertise about weekly sales*.
*Not for video games or makeup.
LOL
Biggest sales time of the year and only 1 EA game made the list -- I love it.

No FIFA, UFC, NHL, NBA Live, PvZ, Dragons Age or Titanfall anywhere to be found. Too bad madden was available dirt cheap or else it probably wouldn't have made the list either. Too bad.

let me introduce you to the PAL charts

Top Bottom