• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Biggest sales time of the year and only 1 EA game made the list -- I love it.

No FIFA, UFC, NHL, NBA Live, PvZ, Dragons Age or Titanfall anywhere to be found. Too bad madden was available dirt cheap or else it probably wouldn't have made the list either. Too bad.

Dragon Age deserves to be on there.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

No FIFA, UFC, NHL, NBA Live, PvZ, Dragons Age or Titanfall anywhere to be found. Too bad madden was available dirt cheap or else it probably wouldn't have made the list either. Too bad.

Is this a serious post? UFC, PvZ, NBA, Fifa, Titanfall? I mean what? Not only those games are old but Titanfall came out like 7 months ago.

elelunicy

Funny that you laugh at a bunch of months-old EA games not being in a monthly chart when the only game in the top 10 that wasn't a new release happens to be an EA game.

You're over-exaggerating...EA actually didn't have all that bad of a November.

For example:

FIFA is up like +38% launch-to-date from last year's iteration. And Madden is up as well. And Dragon Age really didn't do that bad at all...it was on-par with Dragon Age 2's launch...etc.

Sure, EA is -30% for the month compared to last November, but Battlefield launching last year explains the decline.

In fact, EA is only down -2% YTD, so when you take into consideration that digital is growing, they're doing just fine.

HokieJoe

Doesn't mean it's not selling well at the market.

Similar situations:

1) 360 sold 0.8 million in November 2007. In December 2007, it managed 1.3 million.

2) 360 sold 0.8 million in November 2008. In December 2008, it managed 1.4 million.

3) PS3 sold 0.7 million in November 2009. In December 2009, it managed 1.4 million.

4) PS3 sold 0.5 million in November 2010. In December 2010, it managed 1.2 million.

5) Wii sold 0.9 million in November 2011. In December 2011, it managed 1.1 million.

...The PS4 should manage 1 million. Maybe not much more than 1 million...but it's at a good place in the market right now.

But who knows. Maybe the market front-loaded sales to November and December is getting weaker. Maybe market trends are reducing December to the point that PS4 is flat MOM.
We need more retail indications.

I think the PS4/XB1 are still relatively price-constrained compared to the PS360. Once the PS4/XB1 hit the magical $299 price point the numbers will be comparable or maybe even better IMO.

Can the Sony PR be added to the OP:

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday. On the network side, November was the biggest month ever in PlayStation Store history with a nearly 50 percent increase in unique visitors compared to last year. We couldn’t have done any of this without the support of our fans. The immediate success of PlayStation Experience and celebration of the 20th Anniversary demonstrates tremendous dedication to the PlayStation platform. We are humbled by the loyalty of our fans and look forward to amazing them in 2015."

Apparently Amazon sales are important to Sony all of a sudden.

Good to see that Dragon Age didn't bomb that badly. Must have done better on PC too compared to your average multiplat game. Should have also better legs than DAII considering its quality. Game is so good.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
snip - PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday

dead

Amazon rankings triumphs all. Us Canadians love Amazon so much, we've made Ouya the best-selling console of 2014.

They should issue a press release.

gthobbes

Banned
You're over-exaggerating...EA actually didn't have all that bad of a November.

For example:

FIFA is up like +38% launch-to-date from last year's iteration. And Madden is up as well. And Dragon Age really didn't do that bad at all...it was on-par with Dragon Age 2's launch...etc.

Sure, EA is -30% for the month compared to last November, but Battlefield launching last year explains the decline.

In fact, EA is only down -2% YTD, so when you take into consideration that digital is growing, they're doing just fine.

I don't buy it that Madden or FIFA are up, or that EA is only down 2% on the year. I'd also point out that EA sales numbers are meaningless since Madden and FIFA could be had for $25, UFC could be had for $13, etc. EA has to sell 2x copies to make the same $ as 1x GTA V, COD, etc.

dead

Amazon rankings triumphs all. Us Canadians love Amazon so much, we've made Ouya the best-selling console of 2014.

They should issue a press release.

I know, right?

Amazon isn't even all that relevant in the overall retail market...I can't believe Sony would be so desperate that they'd use Amazon of all places for a PR release.

Did they not win at Wal-Mart / GameStop or something?

Honestly, it makes them sound a bit like Microsoft back when MS loved crafting silly PR.

RBK

Banned
If that's true, then why not lower the price of Xbox One to $250 or $300? Why aren't they making tons of 1st party studios with their money?

It's a business, the main objective is to make money.

As far as 1st party development, can only say falls into business strategy.

Massa

What Microsoft may have lost on these bundles is nothing compared to the first three years of the PS3. Was that unfair then? How soon some people forget.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Do we have PES 2015 numbers?

if it don't sell well like (NBA live 15) then maybe the market just don't want more than one game for each sport now.

I don't buy it that Madden or FIFA are up, or that EA is only down 2% on the year. I'd also point out that EA sales numbers are meaningless since Madden and FIFA could be had for $25, UFC could be had for $13, etc. EA has to sell 2x copies to make the same $ as 1x GTA V, COD, etc.

Well then, why don't you go to The NPD Group, negotiate a deal where you give them many thousands of dollars every month, look up the data, and get back to me?

Because I can assure you....what I said there is correct.

And you can't even make a "But FIFA / Madden were cheaper this year" excuse, either...because we see demonstrable gains in both units AND revenue:

FIFA 15:

+38% LTD from last year (Units)

+37% LTD from last year (Revenue)

Madden NFL 15:

+12% LTD from last year (Units)

+7% LTD from last year (Revenue)

Bgamer90

Banned

So you pretty much want to hate then.

Your comparison also doesn't make much sense considering you are comparing games that released at different times/months.

vinnygambini

I know, right?

Amazon isn't even all that relevant in the overall retail market...I can't believe Sony would be so desperate that they'd use Amazon of all places for a PR release.

Did they not win at Wal-Mart / GameStop or something?

Honestly, it makes them sound a bit like Microsoft back when MS loved crafting silly PR.

Ridiculous, but hey corporate spin is present among all 3! Remember Nintendo with the 3DS performance: powerhouse wut lol

It's the Best-Selling on Amazon on Black Friday that kills me, what happened after that? You dead.

On a side note Aqua, would you know Ninty's overall performance in terms of $ comparatively to last year, are they up or down?

If that were the case, why would he say "7-10K diff"?

"K" always means 1000 without fail.

Now if he said "700-1000K diff," or even "7-10," I would understand...but that's just straight-up misleading.

Zero idea, but you make a good point regarding use of the 'k'.

It was funny for when it lasted but yeah, that was some mega-trolling this side of the SE PSX bit (can't get over that actually happening).

Perhaps things got better over there and his post was intended as a parting gift to Xbox fans!

That has to be one of the worst gifts ever lol. Like getting someone an itchy Christmas sweater and then stuffing a card in there saying the sweater is actually a $1000 pair of normal leather pants.

Ridiculous, but hey corporate spin is present among all 3! Remember Nintendo with the 3DS performance: powerhouse wut lol

It's the Best-Selling on Amazing on Black Friday that kills me, what happened after that? You dead.

On a side note Aqua, would you know Ninty's overall performance in terms of $ comparatively to last year, are they up or down?

Software:

Approx. +90% from last November

Approx. +5% year-to-date

A stronger Wii U is offsetting a weaker 3DS.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Can the Sony PR be added to the OT:

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday. On the network side, November was the biggest month ever in PlayStation Store history with a nearly 50 percent increase in unique visitors compared to last year. We couldn’t have done any of this without the support of our fans. The immediate success of PlayStation Experience and celebration of the 20th Anniversary demonstrates tremendous dedication to the PlayStation platform. We are humbled by the loyalty of our fans and look forward to amazing them in 2015."

dat spin. Microsoft's fastest selling console speech redeemed.

rokkerkory

This is pretty bad lol

You stumbled across a brilliant point - this is the FIRST year ever that older games have been discounted months after launch. And it's definitely the first year that companies have discounted games around Christmas. What a novel concept!

ProTip - EVERY game goes on sale eventually. Even COD. Even a few weeks after it comes out.

arevin01

MS goes balls out just to win Nov. At least we know they are trying to stay competitive. Can't say the same for Nintendo who are just leaving the Wii U out there to die.

Wow, that's pretty bad. Add me to the list of people that thought the earlier post of this was a joke

"Hey guys! We were the best selling product at one store for one day... until we sold out... then we had nothin'." The only thing missing would be a "PlayStation 4 players drove 4 million miles in Driveclub and created 25,000 levels in Little Big Planet! this November"

They should have just said "PlayStation continued it's worldwide lead with XX million consoles sold since launch" and left it be.

Forkball

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. Wii U is the cumulative leader in consoles utilizing Marth NFC figures and was #1 on 13-year-old Tommy Baker's Amazon Wishlist."

They should have just said "PlayStation continued it's worldwide lead with XX million consoles sold since launch" and left it be.

At least we know in proper that they're #legitshook by November's results.

Nothing screams concern than a terrible PR release. It's like they're not even trying.

aaronwt

That was real?!?! I thought it was a joke?

"PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday"

WTF?

Also, anyone that's finished SSOD knows
that it sets up a possible sequel.
I'd be shocked if MS didn't green light another one. I personally would love another. So far it's my GOTY.

That has to be one of the worst gifts ever lol. Like getting someone an itchy Christmas sweater and then stuffing a card in there saying the sweater is actually a $1000 pair of normal leather pants.

Worst gift ever to who? It was fantastic entertainment, from some of the "pyrrhic victory" comments then others with more info came in and literally turned it on its head.

It will go down in Gaf history.

Edit: Wait, that Sony PR is legit?

vinnygambini

Software:

Approx. +90% from last November

Approx. +5% year-to-date

A stronger Wii U is offsetting a weaker 3DS.

Thanks Aqua, at least there's growth overall in the company's performance - but weak 3DS results is worrying.

Pokemon & Smash is what is holding the 3DS from not crashing - I don't know what their strategy is for 2015.

Release New 3DS in March with Majora's Mask + Monster Hunter. Then follow-up launch with Xenoblade in May. What's after that? ;.;

Co-marketing campaign with Namco-Bandai for Youkai Watch in the hopes of achieving respectable numbers?

I doubt we are getting a new Pokemon game for 3DS next year... hmmmm

Wii U is covered from head-to-toe - they really have a strong line-up for Wii U moving forward with amiibo, Zelda, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Kirby, Star Fox, inevitable Super Mario Galaxy HD, Yoshi & Mario Party. There's growth opportunities in terms of software revenue, hw revenue to remain mediocre if not decline by 20%.

They'll just have to weather the storm and hope the yen remains as is because I don't know if they will be able to achieve another 1-2 punch (Smash & Pokemon) next year with 3DS.

Mory Dunz

It was posted a little while back. The Amazon quote made me think it was parody.

Wait, this isn't parody? wat.
Amazon? Playstation Store?
No numbers whatsoever?

Why hasn't anyone posted spin GIFs or whatever lol

That was real?!?! I thought it was a joke?

WTF?

Worst gift ever to who? It was fantastic entertainment, from some of the "pyrrhic victory" comments then others with more info came in and literally turned it on its head.

It will go down in Gaf history.

Edit: Wait, that Sony PR is legit?

Wait, this isn't parody? wat.
Amazon? Playstation Store?
No numbers whatsoever?

Why hasn't anyone posted spin GIFs or whatever lol

It's 100% legit.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/11/u-s-hardware-and-software-sales-weaken-in-november/

Eh... I don't really know why things like Xenoblade, Splatoon etc. are mentioned in terms of driving Nintendo revenue. I'd imagine Zelda will struggle to bring in what Smash is doing. My impression is that the brand has weakened over time, although I could be wrong on that (anyone have past Zelda's handy?)

RE: hardware I expect Wii U will be back to 2013 numbers or thereabouts next year. While (despite being a year later in the life cycle) PSP 2010 numbers are probably in stall for the 3DS; although that depends on reception to n3DS I suppose.

But it's failure thus far to really reignite interest in the Japanese market (depending upon the tracker it's holding flat or down Y/Y) doesn't lend confidence to western markets.

But then I'd probably agree, other than Amiibo bringing in new accessories dollars, I don't really know what else they can do but grin and bear it.

Top Bottom