• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

samar11

Jesus fucking Christ Sony, using amazon, really? It's like I been transported to another dimension. Why did they even bother realising a pr statement? Can someone help me out here? They just got ass fucked, a pr release should be a no no lol.

Mory Dunz

Just in time for another Prince of Persia leak! :p

i0pdDE5MrF5Ym.gif

Jesus fucking Christ Sony, using amazon, really? It's like I been transported to another dimension. Why did they even bother realising a pr statement? Can someone help me out here? They just got ass fucked, a pr release should be a no no lol.

Here's a better PR.

Strongest sales month of the year, still hardware leader. Done.

I know right? would that be so hard?

That Amazon BS sounds so desperate to be on #1. Its like some of the MS PR prior to this month.

Like I said, on the bright side, at least we know they're #legitshook.

I mean, we can craft PR statements that better reflect a professional company that's calm, collected and don't need to rely on bullshit stats ( like no.of zombies killed, or Amazon), but half the fun are these blatantly transparent PR on how they feel about that month's NPD.

samar11

Like I said, on the bright side, at least we know they're #legitshook.

I mean, we can craft PR statements that better reflect a professional company that's calm, collected and don't need to rely on bullshit stats ( like no.of zombies killed, or Amazon), but half the fun are these blatantly transparent PR on how they feel about that month's NPD.

They are shocked based on that PR statement. My question now is, will they take NA more seriously ? Their shitty deals in December isn't going to cut it.

At the same time I still think their WW gap will be 2:1.

They are shocked based on that PR statement. My question now is, will they take NA more seriously ? Their shitty deals in December isn't going to cut it.

I would not be surprised if their COG bundle in December was a response to that somewhat. It's somewhat haphazard. It's not going to cut it, I agree, but at the same time, it's clear from the 340k BF bundle of GTAV/TLoU was that they shipped a low amount of 'competitive' bundles compared to the competition.

It won't be 2:1 if MS is aggressive which they seem to be

In us that is, maybe uk too

stryke

This thread is something, so with this info what are we looking at globally total? Thanks

"this info" doesn't really tell us anything about global. You can look at the 14.1 million figure displayed from PSX and draw your own interpretations from that as well as decide what the approaching 10 million shipments means for X1. Last quarter, Wii U was 7.3 million of shipments as well.

MrBenchmark

"this info" doesn't really tell us anything about global. You can look at the 14.1 million figure displayed from PSX and draw your own interpretations from that as well as decide what the approaching 10 million shipments means for X1. Last quarter, Wii U was 7.3 million of shipments as well.

Thanks wasn't sure if I was just not knowing were to look, but its a lot of guesstimating:)

I don't believe those numbers used at PSX were meant to be taken literally, more a visual representation of the high speed that the console is selling at.

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;143098144 said:
Where is the sony PR?

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday. On the network side, November was the biggest month ever in PlayStation Store history with a nearly 50 percent increase in unique visitors compared to last year. We couldn’t have done any of this without the support of our fans. The immediate success of PlayStation Experience and celebration of the 20th Anniversary demonstrates tremendous dedication to the PlayStation platform. We are humbled by the loyalty of our fans and look forward to amazing them in 2015."

http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/11/u-s-hardware-and-software-sales-weaken-in-november/

stryke

I don't believe those numbers used at PSX were meant to be taken literally, more a visual representation of the high speed that the console is selling at.

They're not going to throw a random number up to achieve that. 14m isn't far from where one would expect them to be at either.

Next month's PR.

"We'd like to thank our fans for making the PS4 the cumulative best selling system in the US and the console of choice for BioGamer Girl."

wachie

I guess Microsoft is even more boneheaded for getting "ass fucked" all year and still releasing PR month after month.

Thanks Aqua, at least there's growth overall in the company's performance - but weak 3DS results is worrying.

Pokemon & Smash is what is holding the 3DS from not crashing - I don't know what their strategy is for 2015.

Release New 3DS in March with Majora's Mask + Monster Hunter. Then follow-up launch with Xenoblade in May. What's after that? ;.;

Co-marketing campaign with Namco-Bandai for Youkai Watch in the hopes of achieving respectable numbers?

I doubt we are getting a new Pokemon game for 3DS next year... hmmmm

Wii U is covered from head-to-toe - they really have a strong line-up for Wii U moving forward with amiibo, Zelda, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Kirby, Star Fox, inevitable Super Mario Galaxy HD, Yoshi & Mario Party. There's growth opportunities in terms of software revenue, hw revenue to remain mediocre if not decline by 20%.

They'll just have to weather the storm and hope the yen remains as is because I don't know if they will be able to achieve another 1-2 punch (Smash & Pokemon) next year with 3DS.

The 3DS has a ton of third party games that need to be localize so nintendo could probably publish quite a few of them over here besides majora, Code name steam, Xenoblade and whatever else they have. The 3DS's library is huge so they could try to push some new things as well.

Eh... I don't really know why things like Xenoblade, Splatoon etc. are mentioned in terms of driving Nintendo revenue. I'd imagine Zelda will struggle to bring in what Smash is doing. My impression is that the brand has weakened over time, although I could be wrong on that (anyone have past Zelda's handy?)

RE: hardware I expect Wii U will be back to 2013 numbers or thereabouts next year. While (despite being a year later in the life cycle) PSP 2010 numbers are probably in stall for the 3DS; although that depends on reception to n3DS I suppose.

But it's failure thus far to really reignite interest in the Japanese market (depending upon the tracker it's holding flat or down Y/Y) doesn't lend confidence to western markets.

But then I'd probably agree, other than Amiibo bringing in new accessories dollars, I don't really know what else they can do but grin and bear it.

Huh? The New 3DS as a whole has done well in japan, more successful than the DSi. But its not enough to stop the YOY decline of the 16 million selling system .

In the US well its at 10 million. 3DS needs to get an injection over here. Price drop + software

It won't be 2:1 if MS is aggressive which they seem to be

Dude, I am talking about worldwide. They can be as aggressive as they want but that won't change the fact Xbox one is unpopular outside of the US

thats not going to change as long as microsoft itself as a whole stays unpopular outside the US. Lots of people hate MS yet use Windows XD.

Congratulations, fellow denizens of the infamous NeoGAF.

Because of the antics of a certain GAFfer who shall not be named, this thread is now officially the most popular NPD thread EVER!

Top 10 NPD Threads:

1) November 2014 (7231+ posts)

2) March 2014 (7110 posts)

3) September 2014 (5649 posts)

4) November 2013 (5350 posts)

5) October 2014 (4881 posts)

6) June 2014 (4782 posts)

7) January 2013 (4593 posts)

8) May 2014 (4145 posts)

9) April 2014 (3897 posts)

10) November 2010 (3564 posts)

10) April 2008 (3518 posts)

NolbertoS

Because of the antics of a certain GAFfer who shall not be named, this thread is now officially the most popular NPD thread EVER!

Top 10 NPD Threads:

8) May 2014 (4145 posts)

Time to breakout the champagne. Openchampagnebottle.gif

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;143101759 said:
will be a 710k difference for life

Imagine if poor cboat got banned for a mistype lmao

A 710K LTD difference isn't accurate.

Neither is a really close number to 710K, like 705K or 715K.

Mory Dunz

Eh, you sure? What are your sources?
I'm doubtful. My people have different numbers. Just sayin'.

;)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
December 2014 NPD will be interesting (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

FZZ

Banned

Top 10 NPD Threads:

8) May 2014 (4145 posts)

What about the view count?

So, when Rockstar ship GTA V games to Sony to bundle the game in PS4 SKUs, how does that work in terms of revenue?

Is it the same revenue per title as shipping games to, say, a retailer? Is the amount or how the revenue made different in any way?

I'm curious in terms of revenue how many games GTA V has sold, and obviously in that context bundles and digital would count.

So, when Rockstar ship GTA V games to Sony to bundle the game in PS4 SKUs, how does that work in terms of revenue?

Is it the same revenue per title as shipping games to, say, a retailer? Is the amount or how the revenue made different in any way?

I'm curious in terms of revenue how many games GTA V has sold, and obviously in that context bundles and digital would count.

I assume it depends on the unique terms of the contract between Take-Two and Sony.

My guess is that Take-Two negotiates a flat fee for Sony to have the right to manufacture X amount of consoles containing GTA V.

Sony must pay, at the very minimum, the amount of revenue that Take-Two would have expected from selling the title. So MSRP ($60) or ASP for GTA V software. Take-Two wants upfront profits so Sony bears all the risk in selling the product.

I would imagine that Take-Two also demands extra fees on-top of that, because GTA is such a valued brand and Sony inherently benefits from attaching the GTA V name to Sony. Maybe Take-Two receives a share of the backend as well.

Once the revenue comes in from selling the console to retail channels, the money goes back to SCEA because they're the one publishing the product.

GamerJM

Banned
I didn't look at this topic all day but I just caught up and saw the Sony PR.

LMAO at using Amazon. Couldn't they at least mention LTD or YTD or something to soften the blow from Microsoft instead?

I assume it depends on the unique terms of the contract between Take-Two and Sony.

My guess is that Take-Two negotiates a flat fee for Sony to have the right to manufacture X amount of consoles containing GTA V.

Sony must pay, at the very minimum, the amount of profit that Take-Two would have expected from selling the title. So MSRP ($60) or ASP for GTA V software. Take-Two wants upfront profits so Sony bears all the risk in selling the product.

I would imagine that Take-Two also demands extra fees on-top of that, because GTA is such a valued brand and Sony inherently benefits from attaching the GTA V name to Sony. Maybe Take-Two receives a share of the backend as well.

Once the revenue comes in from selling the console to retail channels, the money goes back to SCEA because they're the one publishing the product.
Thanks, great reply.

TheKevinDent

Neo Member

My view of NPD hasn't changed. I still hold their results at arms length.

I believe that their results are at varying degrees inaccurate -they state this in their terms of service- mostly because their partners SAP integration is a bit all over the place. That is just s case that the integration of SAP is never the same for each firm. In some firms it equates to several integrations.I am fortunate in that a publisher sends me their results real time.

What does real time mean? It means dollars in the bank.

The key to looking at reports like this, is the take away and the indicators. If you look at ********, they are unique as they may be WAY out in a given month, but they correct their results once the related parties report their quarterly earnings. Since NPD doesn't release their reports to the public ever and I get to compare them to the actual numbers.

Sometimes, they are right and sometimes they are wrong within and outside of a margin of error.

They generally take their numbers from the retailers at face value and as I have mentioned, these can be a bit inaccurate, but they are still indicators and that is important.

In terms of what is real? I look at quarterly reports of the publicly traded firms in the industry. I fold that into a formula with a +/- margin of error of 7%. Yes this is high, but I need to look at the broader picture.

With all that said, my focus is on the GAAP/Non-GAAP performance of the firms in which I have an interest, the rest is basically BS.

The other element here is digital, which is growing faster than any of us imagined. Digital this year alone from a quarterly perspective has grown Q over Q from 12% of gross sales to a tiny bit over 18% in Q3 across the three console platforms.Indicators are that Q4 will equate to 23%.

The bottom line here is that the only thing that matters for these firms and their investors is what is in the bank.However in terms of sales banked, I think the only thing that matters for gamers is, are ya getting value for your dime and the rest is BS?

What is the most incredible ?

Sony win 11 months in US ?

Or MS win 1 month with their best selling IP and a console + 2 games for 349$ ? ( 329 during Black Friday ) ?

Overall video game sales at U.S. retail stores were $2.41 billion, down 11 percent from a year earlier, according to market researcher NPD Group.

Overall hardware sales were $1.10 billion, down 23 percent from $1.31 billion a year ago.

Video game software sales were $1.06 billion, down 2 percent from $1.08 billion a year ago. Game accessories sold $331.2 million, up 2 percent from $326.2 million a year earlier. Total software sales (including consoles, portables, and PC) were $1.09 billion, down 1 percent from $1.1 billion a year earlier.

Hardware + software + accessories don't give $2.41B. Venture Beat made a mistake or I'm missing something?

The other element here is digital, which is growing faster than any of us imagined. Digital this year alone from a quarterly perspective has grown Q over Q from 12% of gross sales to a tiny bit over 18% in Q3 across the three console platforms.Indicators are that Q4 will equate to 23%.

I'm not going to comment on the other stuff you wrote, but I'll agree with this.

Digital is certainly becoming increasingly important, and assuming digital sold ~20% of the total for many major titles that released is a good rule of thumb.

Top Bottom