• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Raist

Banned
Still no Sony PR?

They haven't done NPD PR in years.

edit: well there's that apparently:

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday. On the network side, November was the biggest month ever in PlayStation Store history with a nearly 50 percent increase in unique visitors compared to last year. We couldn’t have done any of this without the support of our fans. The immediate success of PlayStation Experience and celebration of the 20th Anniversary demonstrates tremendous dedication to the PlayStation platform. We are humbled by the loyalty of our fans and look forward to amazing them in 2015."

beercr8te

Banned
Even so, you're still talking Wii caliber November. At a higher price.

MS did good. They might have been bleeding like crazy to do it, but you have to be a fanboy of epic proportions not to be impressed. Highest first November for any platform.

Also set a new record on the Oct-Nov monthly multiplier too didn't they?

I'm no fanboy I have all consoles, people will buy anything if its practically given away. For instance in the UK, Game were selling xbox ones with 4 AAA games for £299 at one point, MS are effectively dumping the system on the market for £100.

gthobbes

Banned
Well, maybe if they released Battlefield this year...

But that's the point -- EA didn't release Battlefield this year. And while FIFA made the November NPD chart in 2012 and 2013 (look it up), it didn't make it this year. Neither did Dragons Age, NHL or NBA Live, which has been an absolute bomb for them.

Early sales of FIFA and Madden may have been up YoY due to the fact that last years PS4/XBone games were released in Nov. however, by 12/31/14, I suspect we'll see that both Madden and FIFA are down YoY. Like the rest of EA's games this year, they just don't stack up with the other competing games in the market (e.g. NBA 2K15, GTA V, COD, etc.).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Yep. Anyone else notice they've been getting arrogant/complacent again?

Wait until next month when Microsoft is being arrogant and complacent. Or the month after that when Nintendo has its scheduled arrogant and complacent-month.

Wabba

Yep. Anyone else notice they've been getting arrogant/complacent again?

I dont know if this is serious or not, but they just finished a 2 days Playstation event in honour of gamers. They always stay humble in interviews and are only focusing on themselves and how they can give more too the gamers with amazing games coming out next year. 12 days of Christmas with good deals and discounts. But they haven't released a NPD statement yet, so yeah i would say that they are starting to get bloody arrogant.

I do think Sony needs to put their foot down on delivering the features they promised during the PS4's initial reveal though.

Remember the suspend/resume feature they revealed long before the Xbox One reveal?

I also remember Cerny promising that every single game would have a demo, and that PSN would feature an intelligent reading of your game history to map out your preferences and download full games you may like so you would start your console and they would be there for you to try, with nothing else needed than to pay for the full game unlock should you have wanted the game.

What happened to that?

I don't know if it's a resources issue or a complacency issue, but if it's the latter, Sony better not piss about, and realise they are in the fight of their life here and nothing should be left to chance.

Wait until next month when Microsoft is being arrogant and complacent. Or the month after that when Nintendo has its scheduled arrogant and complacent-month.

Any month *insert company here* doesn't release a 9/10 exclusive, they are clearly being arrogant and complacent.

I mean Sony could have rushed the Order to come out this fall just to have a list war bullet point. It probably would have been broken and terrible, but that's better than losing e-cred for a month.

Road

The key to looking at reports like this, is the take away and the indicators. If you look at ********, they are unique as they may be WAY out in a given month, but they correct their results once the related parties report their quarterly earnings. Since NPD doesn't release their reports to the public ever and I get to compare them to the actual numbers.

NPD corrects their numbers if new information becomes available.

I saw someone calculated 790k earlier.

But looking up Road's graph he had 720k but you said that's not close?

In light of the more recent info posted in this thread, the difference I have is now 730k. But Aquamarine will say it's still not close if the difference is 732k or 728k. (=P)

Can the Sony PR be added to the OP:

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday. On the network side, November was the biggest month ever in PlayStation Store history with a nearly 50 percent increase in unique visitors compared to last year. We couldn’t have done any of this without the support of our fans. The immediate success of PlayStation Experience and celebration of the 20th Anniversary demonstrates tremendous dedication to the PlayStation platform. We are humbled by the loyalty of our fans and look forward to amazing them in 2015."

Apparently Amazon sales are important to Sony all of a sudden.

idontbelievyou.gif.

It must have been the hackers who are in control of Sony servers who sent this e-mail.

Sony ps3 PR is back?

No, it's not. This last one is worse than any of their pathetic ps3 PRs. I mean. #1 Amazon Black Friday? What is next? PR Saying Vita was #1 in SmokyDave's neighbourhood?

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;143105263 said:
Ergo, NPD is basically Famitsu.

They wish they were. Famitsu estimates download and used sales not only at the macro level (which NPD does), but at the micro (game by game) as well. (I won't even go into the accessibility of their data).

And why they will share data with NPD?

For the same reason digital music is shared with Nielsen and Gfk, and digital movie is shared with Rentrak. What is the reason? IDK, ask them.

Obviously they aren't perfect either, Nielsen never got ebook download sales, for instance. Every consumption tracker has to deal with the market coverage problem NPD has, it's up to them not to stay behind the times.

Pretty weak sauce PR and more akin to MS past offerings but to be expected. Sony really should have done more to combat MS' campaign but it really did feel like they sat on their hands and did very little in November. I'm sure they wanted to sell as much as possible at full price and they did offer better value bundles but it really seemed to lack a big push with the GTA bundle (keeping it till BF) and not much else but the BF stuff in the face of a much cheaper competitor also with free games.

Especially as Sony put up a fight in the UK and remained higher competitive with MS, meaning the sales gap was much smaller than the rather big drumming they got in the US. Meaning their sales lead was reduced considerably in one month. And if MS remains ahead in December by quite a margin, the lead will be negligible.

Of course it really will be interesting going forward. Cannot see MS putting the price back up at all. The price it's at now, is the price people think it's worth. Any more and sales are just going to go back to how they were and Sony gains back a good lead on a monthly basis. Of course Sony have yet to reduce the price, so they still have lots of room to change things up. But January is going to be interesting to see how things go.

I don't think sony is in a position to compete on price which is driving xbox one sales. Especially considering their film industry disaster this past month. Price is the driver so hopefully Microsoft keeps their foot on the gas to make this gen competitive.

I don't think sony is in a position to compete on price which is driving xbox one sales. Especially considering their film industry disaster this past month. Price is the driver so hopefully Microsoft keeps their foot on the gas to make this gen competitive.

There is zero chance XB1 will be able to match PS4 in sales WW to make this gen competitive.

If people think Sony is being arrogant/complacent they have to be crazy , they just did PSX.
They also want to make profit so they not going to lower the price unless they really need to.
Even if MS pass them in USA it not going to be as bad as last gen and once they making profit it seem okay to Sony.

Hubble

Suprised Dragon Age didnt do better. I think releasing a title like that at the same time of GTA and AC really hurt it.

To the poster who said he doesn't understand how Xbox does well in the U.S and UK markets, it's because more people are connected online there and play multiplayer. Most people in those territories prefer Xbox Live than PSN.

I assume it depends on the unique terms of the contract between Take-Two and Sony.

My guess is that Take-Two negotiates a flat fee for Sony to have the right to manufacture X amount of consoles containing GTA V.

Sony must pay, at the very minimum, the amount of revenue that Take-Two would have expected from selling the title. So MSRP ($60) or ASP for GTA V software. Take-Two wants upfront profits so Sony bears all the risk in selling the product.

I would imagine that Take-Two also demands extra fees on-top of that, because GTA is such a valued brand and Sony inherently benefits from attaching the GTA V name to Sony. Maybe Take-Two receives a share of the backend as well.

Once the revenue comes in from selling the console to retail channels, the money goes back to SCEA because they're the one publishing the product.

nice, thanks i always wondered this specially with GTA. maybe this is why they didnt flood the market with more Megaton Bundurus?

Suprised Dragon Age didnt do better. I think releasing a title like that at the same time of GTA and AC really hurt it.

To the poster who said he doesn't understand how Xbox does well in the U.S and UK markets, it's because more people are connected online there and play multiplayer. Most people in those territories prefer Xbox Live than PSN.

It has everything to do with price and not Xbox live since Sony still in lead in those places.
If live was really matter that much MS would not have to price drop so much along with giving away games.

Chobel

LOL, right. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the price.

Akainu

I was wondering but hasn't the xbone price drop be around for a couple months? Isn't the boost do to all the added games and stuff?

Xando

That must be it. I heard we'll be soon getting broadband installed in our european caves.

Wouldn't it still be MS?

Introducing 1.2 million people to your ecosystem is a win no matter how you spin it. The only loser this month is Nintendo, a great attach rate but little expansion of the Wii U's base :(

I'm not actually spinning anything. I'm just rationalizing what happened. Is it good to make huge loss or not? Will it provide that much income that it will cover last month's losses? Personally I'd rather make profit than lose money to get people introduced to my platform. Microsoft can afford these kind of stunts, but will it pay off at all? Xbone will lose worldwide, is it wise to dump money into a market or two when there's no promise that you'll make any profit? Decisions, decisions...

Just my 2 coppers.

It over, pack it up

HTExfZs.gif

Top Bottom