• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

ShogunX

It's bad man.

Here's how.

1. In order to achieve this win, Microsoft had to deeply devalue the product they had been offering all year for higher prices. Consumers jumped in - with a big jump early in November - but according to insiders, Sony may have even won Black Friday and it was those early two weeks that allowed Microsoft to keep the overall win.

2. So, due to this fact, what happens? Will Microsoft have to keep the price at $349? I don't see any viable alternative if they want to stay even remotely competitive now. If they go up to $399, consumers are going to wait it out knowing Microsoft will take drastic price cutting measures if they feel threatened from a marketshare point-of-view. So they'd just as likely wait it out. Consider Xbox division is already under pressure to start making a profit and being a viable pillar, many interal debates between services & devices and the other divisions. In order to just barely win, they had to cut in deep to their profit margin.

3. This means that once the glow of the price change is over, the trajectory indicates it's very likely now PS4 is just going to go back to winning every month. This is the last thing Microsoft wanted. Now they've devalued their platform, their profit margins are diminished, and PS4 is still the marketleader getting their good PR. Microsoft gained almost nothing in the exchange, except perhaps to tell third parties planning to publish games in the West that it's still important to make ports for XBO and engage in marketing deals with MS for some exclusivity and other mutually beneficial deals.

4. With all the game announcements from Sony in December (in fact so many that PS4 is dominating December discussion, in a crucial period of the time when families come together and thus quickly spread their opinions on personal events, TV shows, games, etc), it's not likely Microsoft is going to have room to breathe to make a second month upset. Microsoft Store is selling their system at an astonishing $349 AC Bundle with two free games on top of it, but it will not be enough with numbers that look like this even for November NPD.

None of this means XBO is selling poorly, it probably did quite well if it's that close and edged out PS4. But it does now mean the future is clear: Sony has this generation in the bag in terms of system sales, including in US and UK, and that Microsoft is going to have a very hard fight to even keep their unit sales competitive in their only two remaining viable territories.

Seems strange that you would post all of this despite being highly sceptical of Cboat's numbers. You jumped the gun my man, like a lot of other people.

Mrbob

It's LTD.

It means XBO is coming up on PS4's lead in the US quick. They will pass PS4 in December NPD month I think. Although I thought the impression was the gap to date between PS4 and XBO in US was a million or so? I have to check my notepad somewhere for that, I wrote it down before I know it lol

Of course worldwide there's no chance, but at least XBO will be very very close if not win in the US if they maintain trajectory at this price. Microsoft has to keep the price.

Gap was 1.15 million. If XB1 sold 400K more the gap shrunk to 715K. Of course ps4 also had a lead from 2013 which that blue chart may not have taken into consideration. That blue chart looks like something regarding last gen to me.

It's LTD.

It means XBO is coming up on PS4's lead in the US quick. They will pass PS4 in December NPD month I think. Although I thought the impression was the gap to date between PS4 and XBO in US was a million or so? I have to check my notepad somewhere for that, I wrote it down before I know it lol

Of course worldwide there's no chance, but at least XBO will be very very close if not win in the US if they maintain trajectory at this price. Microsoft has to keep the price.
lol what?
The PS4/Xbox One gap was ~1.2 million after October.

TomShoe

Banned
Stefan™;142920673 said:
Big congrats to MS for turning things around.

Things ain't looking good for Sony.

And the Wii U.. yeah.

No way in hell, white chart has to be last gen LTD.

If black chart was November NPD then the white wouldn't make sense.

I guess people can stop with the "XBO can't come back" because XBO just cut the lead down tremendously in NA. If they repeat the same thing in Dec. Yeesh, Sony holding an L.

-Ha third how is that possible without MS releasing a massive PR statement?

They've been slapped around like a bitch this year by Sony, the time for puffing their chest out may well come but winning 1 month out of 11 (or 2 out of 13) in their home region regardless of the amount and whilst still losing is not the time to do it.

vpance

why hasn't MS made a bigger deal with this win?

They don't need to say anything, the result speaks for itself. It was their last ditch effort to regain their most important territory, and it worked (well, shortly). They can finally take a break from dirty PR work and breathe a sigh of relief.

Doffen

Untitled-2f28ed.gif

second try

FavorableLiveBarnswallow.gif

I'll join in.

Miles X

The gap would still be 600k or so. No way X1 outsells PS4 by that great of a margin.

Baby seals, amazon, blah blah blah. But it's destroing PS4 in Decembers best sellers so far this month. (and looks like last month was indicitive of real sales after all).

XB1 is #1 with PS4 at #40

Mifune

Mehmber
Guys, cboat was saying there's a 300k difference. He left off some zeroes because he never gives it straight.

7-10k = 300k in cboat speak.

Stay your hand, bish!

LuuKyK

I was under the impression that PS4's lead in the US was way bigger based on what people said in the latest NPD threads. But then again I am no sales aficionado like some here, so I just glance over these threads to get an overall idea. Still, I am a bit surprised.

Couldn't probably stand any positive news for MS so he comes in on first page, throws some number and doesn't post again. It's basically repeated verbatim for twenty pages and already making waves on reddit and twitter. And yet, someone has just posted that with the numbers, it means there was a 400k difference this month, not 7-10k

Appears closer to 300k than 400k but it is still a great result for MS

Edit: Isn't it 890k or so for PS4?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I thought I was ready for adventure after captain toad, but nothing could prepare me for this hilarious thread.

Applebite

These threads are always hilarious. "THIS DOESN'T LOOK GOOD FOR X COMPANY!?!?" and "WOW X COMPANY GOT REKT!". They're both doing extremely well. Take a moment to think before you start banging the console war drum.

Top Bottom