• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

aaakzluh.jpg

MS has to be elated. Job well done

Boogdud

Well I guess whoever has been feeding cboat misinformation is pretty close to finding their mole now...

Grats to MS though, a well played November.

Really do wonder why MS didn't make a bigger deal. It may have cost quite a bit but I'll be damned if that isn't an impressive gap. Quite the turnaround from the first page to now.

MS has a fighting chance in NA after all, so long as they keep being significantly cheaper and offering free games

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would think both Aqua and Queso saying CBOAT was wrong means that there are no numbers on the NPD report that could make CBOAT's post make sense. But we'd need to see CBOAT's explanation, because only s/he knows what s/he meant.

CBOAT's "leaks" just haven't been the same since the Titanfall resolutiongate. It's like it's a completely different person posting, like the account was compromised or s/he has been getting fed misinformation.

edit: Gaddamn this thread moves fast. Guess that was already settled.

That's how I've felt too. Not only the titanfall misfire, but how he specifically posted that wrong info while ntkrnl was leaking stuff to pretty much counteract it. Really weird shit.

Far out... this thread has delivered more than I thought it would, and I was anticipating a crazy month.

Microsoft are back in the game. I was prepared to write them off after the 7-10K but now they can definitely get on top in NA. People thinking a 600K + gap is getting closed next month are crazy though!

Amir0x

Banned
The pie chart looks close because we're talking in terms of millions of units and not hundreds of thousands.

I'm admittedly bad at doing the math on these pie chart puzzles, but if the gap was still 800,000 (LTD in US, right), i would imagine the size would still show a somewhat more dramatic difference. If it is 800k, then obviously PS4 will still be in the lead after December NPD, but the big question mark is what do the numbers settle into in off holiday months for PS4 v. XBO, and at what price does MS return to after holidays?

But I am bad at doing these puzzles, so in this case I've got nothing but deference to more skilled practitioners of the creamsugar arts :p

If they stay at $349 w/ no game pack ins after holidays, I'm thinking Xbox One can potentially catch up by August in US, if Sony doesn't cut the price before that point.

And if you notice I never once acknowledged those number as real. I had doubts and maybe I should have called his bluff but I did not see an NPD report and didn't want to start spouting fake nonsense.

I also called out Abdiel when he was saying Playstation was outselling MS shortly after the price drop. If these insiders are gonna give info they need to message hard numbers to the mods like I typically do if I'm going to make a public statement.

Has CBOAT been banned yet?

So we can say that the gap is closing non-sarcastically now? :)

This is a landslide victory for Microsoft and it supports the opinion that I have been maintaining for the past few months. It's all about price. The X1 wasn't suffering because of the DRM fallout or the weaker specs or the resolution stuff. It was simply more expensive. As soon as the price dropped and the machine became equal or better value than the PS4 it stopped the Playstation's momentum dead in its tracks.

So in your view, 840K hardware units in a single month in a single territory (likely well over 1.2M worldwide) without any pricecuts, compelling deals or major exclusives is “stopped dead in it’s tracks?” Just because one got a huge sales spike due to huge price cut and free games doesn’t mean the other one is stopped dead in its tracks.

My question is how long can MS really price the Xbox One this low. I understand they have ridiculous amounts of money cause Microsoft, but at a certain point how much are they willing to pay to gain share?

Well thanks Aqua and Cream for clearing up the misconceptions. I think it's safe to say MS is a bit more competitive in NA now...if only for the next month or so. Price-raise or not they still got it plenty tough for most of 2015.

CBOAT....what happened, man?

dragonknight337

Neo Member
Wonderful for XB1 :) I contributed with the AC Unity bundle (and got further savings offloading Unity to a friend :D )

After the utter shite Bioware pulled with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 their rep is down the shitter. They could produce a game that god himself proclaims to be the best thing he has played in the 15 billion years that the Universe has existed and it still won't sell with the rep Bioware has now.

I loved Dragon Age, hated Dragon Age 2 it killed my love for the franchise just like Mass Effect 3 killed my love for that franchise. Plus the existence of Origin on the PC made it a very easy decision to not buy Dragon Age 3.

Definitely feel you on ME3 killing the ravenous love for the series (I'm just on Gamefly/used buy tier now), and DA3 does have a lot of issues on PC, and definitely nowhere near Origins or worthy of GOTY against Divinity or Wasteland, but... it's alright for the $40 I paid, and fixed a lot of the grievous issues like the 4 dungeons/enemy spawns from ceilings. Check it out cheap :p

Hawk269

It's LTD.

It means XBO is coming up on PS4's lead in the US quick. They will pass PS4 in December NPD month I think. Although I thought the impression was the gap to date between PS4 and XBO in US was a million or so? I have to check my notepad somewhere for that, I wrote it down before I know it lol

Of course worldwide there's no chance, but at least XBO will be very very close if not win in the US if they maintain trajectory at this price. Microsoft has to keep the price.

They have to keep the price and the included games or some other game. A flat $349.99 wont be enough in my opinion, they will need to stick with packing a game. I honestly think they will eventually do a $349.99 with Forza 5, Minecraft & Something else, basically a 3 pack of games.

With Sony Corp, now seeming to be leaning more on the PS4 side of the buisness, I doubt that they want to match MS on price being that they still will outsell the Xbox One worldwide still.

Bottom line is that these sales stats for both consoles are only going to make the industry stronger and if developers introduce compelling new IP's instead of remake or HD Edition of this or that, it will make the industry even better.

Kayant

Maybe MS Disnt wanna come off as cocky or maybe they are trying to be consistent with the past year? If this happens again this month, then I expect MS to do a big PR about it and also announce the permanent price of $350 as a thank you to the fans.

True but it's incredibly confusing I mean they have done it for much less in the past and not basically near slient. Just doesn't seem like MS which thrown me off a lot because I equalled the slient to the gap not being that big loooool. Yh you could be right december PR should be good.

Verendus

Banned
Really do wonder why MS didn't make a bigger deal. It may have cost quite a bit but I'll be damned if that isn't an impressive gap. Quite the turnaround from the first page to now.

MS has a fighting chance in NA after all, so long as they keep being significantly cheaper and offering free games
First, I'd like to thank myself. Whilst everyone gave up hope, I continued to believe in the Age of One, and I spent every last ounce of energy I had in helping it grow across the world, and especially online. Through my efforts alone, and against all odds, it slowly built momentum. And with all that momentum, I threw it into the United States of America, in God's favourite country, with the force of a thousand suns.

Of course, no doubt that some of this credit is earned by the rest of the Xbox team at Microsoft, but their efforts were almost insignificant compared to mine. I'll be taking a break in this month of December with my promotional activities, so I can't guarantee the results when the report arrives next month, but I hope people will believe in what I say when I return. I have now shown what happens when you truly believe in the Age of One. Anything is possible. Xbox is Rocky.

There's no longer any reason to doubt. The Age of One is truly beginning. Some will try to claim otherwise, because we're still behind in the grand scheme of things or because we didn't outsell the competition by hundreds of thousands of units. But they're wrong. It means something. It means Xbox One is number one. And that's what really matters.

Number one, in the Age of One, is the All-in-One, Xbox One.

Doesn't get bigger than GAF, and I am the official representative of the Age of One.

Sean

Banned
Lol you mean right in time for E3 leaks? Coincidence? :p

CBOAT's "leaks" are worthless now anyways. He was flat out wrong about the Titanfall stuff and somehow escaped the banhammer and now he came back just to troll. No longer trustworthy at this point.

FrankT

Sony have The Order and Bloodborne in Feb/March. They'll get a boost, not sure how much The Order will give them but should be enough to win if its even close

Really hoping MS isn't going to stack everything year end. Wish QB would be like April, but it seems we need to see a lot more. They have said holiday 2015 is so stacked they may have to move things out, and Phil has said they have more exclusives to announce that will come out next year.

So we can say that the gap is closing non-sarcastically now? :)

This is a landslide victory for Microsoft and it supports the opinion that I have been maintaining for the past few months. It's all about price. The X1 wasn't suffering because of the DRM fallout or the weaker specs or the resolution stuff. It was simply more expensive. As soon as the price dropped and the machine became equal or better value than the PS4 it stopped the Playstation's momentum dead in its tracks.

840k (if accurate) would still make it one of the best November's of all time.

And if you notice I never once acknowledged those number as real. I had doubts and maybe I should have called his bluff but I did not see an NPD report and didn't want to start spouting fake nonsense.

I also called out Abdiel when he was saying Playstation was outselling MS shortly after the price drop. If these insiders are gonna give info they need to message hard numbers to the mods like I typically do if I'm going to make a public statement.

Has CBOAT been banned yet?

You going after Abdiel is disgusting.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Who needs all these so-called insiders when one groovy dude called all this way back in May '13 in a thread titled "Xbox One will be Number One in Sales"... *whistles*

As much as you hate the One right now, chances are you're going to buy one sometime during its lifespan because you are a gamer and it will be tough to resist when all is said and done. Here's five reasons why the One will top the charts:

Kinect 2.0
Kinect 2.0 will be the next Wiimote. The new Dance Central and Kinect Sports will be just the tip of the iceberg. MS knows they need a few more killer apps to start the avalanche effect and that's exactly what they have been working on in the hopes of having the next "Wii Sports" phenomenon on their hands. No other system can provide this type of mass market offering for grandma and little tommy alike.

Power of Dudebro
The biggest franchises out there will be on One. Some of them will be on the PS4, sure, but there's nowhere else where you'll find Halo, COD, Gears, Madden, etc. all on one console. Don't underestimate the dudebros who continue to fuel the yearly installments of COD, etc. and play it on the 360/PS3 instead of playing superior graphical versions on PC. The hardcore may care about FPS and res and such, but dudebro's don't.

Marketing
Wii U already has a flat tire so only the PS4 is in the way from topping the charts. Wii U will rebound a bit, no doubt, and PS4 is formidable, but Microsoft already proved it can maneuver around Sony whenever it needs to to maintain sales momentum whether that comes in the form of advertisements, aggressive price cuts and promos, or marketing deals with publishers. Microsoft has the deeper pockets and it's looking like they may have a price advantage all gen long.

Exclusives
There will be a bunch of One exclusives, moneyhat variety or otherwise. A handful of those will be hard to resist for even the biggest Sony or Nintendo fan so gamers will give in whether they like it or not. There's already been talk of Microsoft opening the wallet for Respawn's game and possibly Dead Rising 3. We know Ryse is coming and sounds like Insomniac and others may have exclusive stuff in the works.

Innovation
Microsoft were big innovators with the 360, whether people want to admit it or not and it's looking like they will keep that trend going. Gamers who think that Sony won't follow suit with the used games restrictions are fooling themselves. The future is here. You will either support it or not (see Steam). Dedicated servers, dynamic achievements, in-game skype and internet feeds, video sharing, cloud enhancements, clean and snappy interface, real-time multitasking/switching, smart TV, etc., etc. Few companies will be able to match the One's online gaming experience, but it will come at a cost, of course.

Top Bottom