• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Raist

Banned
aaakzluh.jpg

jackdoe

So we can say that the gap is closing non-sarcastically now? :)

This is a landslide victory for Microsoft and it supports the opinion that I have been maintaining for the past few months. It's all about price. The X1 wasn't suffering because of the DRM fallout or the weaker specs or the resolution stuff. It was simply more expensive. As soon as the price dropped and the machine became equal or better value than the PS4 it stopped the Playstation's momentum dead in its tracks.
I disagree with the bolded. At equal value, it was still losing momentum. It wasn't until it was significantly cheaper that it really took off.

Isurus

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Price matters. Elasticity at work here. This was MS's biggest problem out of the gate. Huge difference between 499 and 329 entry price points.

I'm just curious if they have worked the supplier channel to drive down production costs and maintain this price point or if their P&L is getting wrecked by it. Time will tell soon enough. Quarterly earnings calls will be interesting.

Instro

Not surprising, steep discounts and major releases tend to spike hardware. I don't think its hard to see the Xbone winning a month here and there, but it seems pretty unlikely for it to consistently outsell the ps4 in any region.

Amir0x

Banned
So we can say that the gap is closing non-sarcastically now? :)

We require some data. Previously, the gap in the US is reported to be a million or so, around that I can't remember the precise number. With the data we have about what XBO and PS4 sold this month, it means the gap should in theory still be around 800k. So, I'm not sure why the pie chart looks that close.

More investigation is required for final determination.

Additionally, from a worldwide perspective there's still no chance to close the gap. So it's big picture vs. small picture, in terms of overall PS4 vs. XBO performance.

This is a landslide victory for Microsoft and it supports the opinion that I have been maintaining for the past few months. It's all about price. The X1 wasn't suffering because of the DRM fallout or the weaker specs or the resolution stuff. It was simply more expensive. As soon as the price dropped and the machine became equal or better value than the PS4 it stopped the Playstation's momentum dead in its tracks.

But that's not what happened. When XBO was equal to PS4 price, PS4 still decimated it. And it did so additionally during every XBO price drop point.

So no, it wasn't just about price. Consumers had determined there were real value decreasing elements to XBO, and they felt the downsides of the platform would only be acceptable at a price point lower than the competition, $349.99 v. $399.99.

Now the question becomes if they return to 399.99 price point (can't imagine they will), and if not how will the numbers settle in off holiday months?

Cidd

So, Sony to lose the US lead by March it seems. Because we all know MS will make another push for tax return season.

Welfare

So the Xbox One selling about 50% more than the PS4, and MS didn't say anything to allude that?

That's some restraint.

Wait, can I get a thread summary? What happened?
Nintendo is going to be just fine Jimmy, just fine. Ammibos had a big month Jimmy, a big month. I bet sony and microsoft are thinking of copping amiibos like they did with motion control, Just gotta be patient for Nintendo to return to the top of the charts

So I'm confused where are you guys getting the 1.2 million number from?
-Second if the 1.2 is legit is it possible Cboat meant 10k as in that's how small the gap is between both consoles YTD?
-Ha third how is that possible without MS releasing a massive PR statement?

Let it go, Bruce. The 1.2 mil number is official. Maybe next time.

So, Sony to lose the US lead by March it seems. Because we all know MS will make another push for tax return season.

Sony have The Order and Bloodborne in Feb/March. They'll get a boost, not sure how much The Order will give them but should be enough to win if its even close

vin-buc

The gap was only 1 million to begin with. Its a pie chart - create one with 2 values proportionate to the October gap between the two and add a third value for the Wii U. It will look close whether the total is 10 million or 100 million. Make sense?

Toki767

We require some data. Previously, the gap in the US is reported to be a million or so, around that I can't remember the precise number. With the data we have about what XBO and PS4 sold this month, it means the gap should in theory still be around 800k. So, I'm not sure why the pie chart looks that close.

More investigation is required for final determination.

Additionally, from a worldwide perspective there's still no chance to close the gap. So it's big picture vs. small picture, in terms of overall PS4 vs. XBO performance.

But that's not what happened. When XBO was equal to PS4 price, PS4 still decimated it. And it did so additionally during every XBO price drop point.

So no, it wasn't just about price. Consumers had determined there were real value decreasing elements to XBO, and they felt the downsides of the platform would only be acceptable at a price point lower than the competition, $349.99 v. $399.99.

Now the question becomes if they return to 399.99 price point (can't imagine they will), and if not how will the numbers settle in off holiday months?
The pie chart looks close because we're talking in terms of millions of units and not hundreds of thousands.

Top Bottom