• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

isn't it a win for gamers who already most likely bought the PS4 and is now buying the cheaper affordable X1 that has had several price drops. 330 for a console barely a year old that launched at 500 is a major steal.

Hoje0308

Banned
So we can say that the gap is closing non-sarcastically now? :)

This is a landslide victory for Microsoft and it supports the opinion that I have been maintaining for the past few months. It's all about price. The X1 wasn't suffering because of the DRM fallout or the weaker specs or the resolution stuff. It was simply more expensive. As soon as the price dropped and the machine became equal or better value than the PS4 it stopped the Playstation's momentum dead in its tracks.

Welp...this is definitely an NPD thread.

JNA

Banned
No, Sony's lead would still be roughly over 700k.

Which Microsoft will pretty much close in to after December. And then January and Febuary Microsoft officially takes back the only place in the world that matters in video games, Murica.

someone is gonna take this post seriously I just know it. XD

FourMyle

So we can say that the gap is closing non-sarcastically now? :)

This is a landslide victory for Microsoft and it supports the opinion that I have been maintaining for the past few months. It's all about price. The X1 wasn't suffering because of the DRM fallout or the weaker specs or the resolution stuff. It was simply more expensive. As soon as the price dropped and the machine became equal or better value than the PS4 it stopped the Playstation's momentum dead in its tracks.

lmao

TomShoe

Banned
We should all be happy.

79930-anderson-cooper-drinking-gif-f-1e831.gif

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Aaron Greenberg is too drunk from celebrating to use Twitter right now

Seriously. It looks like the marketing team took the day off to celebrate. They always, always twist numbers in their favor and this time when the numbers are in their favor they are silent.

TyrantII

Console gaming is dead!

Good job MS, they stopped the bleeding.

How can Sony compete with a competitor that can weather such heavy losses on price and give away a few million free games? Honestly don't know, they're up against a year old console that dropped from $500 to $329.99... Insane.

Nafai1123

Banned
My question is how long can MS really price the Xbox One this low. I understand they have ridiculous amounts of money cause Microsoft, but at a certain point how much are they willing to pay to gain share?

I can imagine that the BOM on the XB1 without Kinect is less than $350 nowadays. Maybe they will remove the bundled games at the beginning of next year and see how it does.

Then again, I have to imagine that the BOM on the PS4 has gone down an equal amount. The real question is when will they counter with a price drop of their own.

Did we get numbers ?

We got pies and CBOAT had to go sit at the kids table.

XB1=~1.24mil
PS4=~840k

And if you notice I never once acknowledged those number as real. I had doubts and maybe I should have called his bluff but I did not see an NPD report and didn't want to start spouting fake nonsense.

I also called out Abdiel when he was saying Playstation was outselling MS shortly after the price drop. If these insiders are gonna give info they need to message hard numbers to the mods like I typically do if I'm going to make a public statement.

Has CBOAT been banned yet?

Is Abdiel Abrael from DualShockers? Because DualShockers has a history of posting false rumors. Like, years of history.

Really hoping MS isn't going to stack everything year end. Wish QB would be like April, but it seems we need to see a lot more. They have said holiday 2015 is so stacked they may have to move things out, and Phil has said they have more exclusives to announce that will come out next year.

If QB needs until later in the year it should get it. Halo MCC is what happens when you launch when its not ready, if it needs the extra time it needs it. MS have a lot announced on the AAA side and they have more to come. Hopefully 2016 will be a lot more spread out

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Console gaming is dead!

Good job MS, they stopped the bleeding.

How can Sony compete with a competitor that can such heavy losses on price and give away a few million free games? Honestly don't know, they're up against a year old console that dropped from $500 to $329.99... Insane.

Well, that depends on what type of bleeding you are talking about.

vin-buc

I'm admittedly bad at doing the math on these pie chart puzzles, but if the gap was still 800,000 (LTD in US, right), i would imagine the size would still show a somewhat more dramatic difference. If it is 800k, then obviously PS4 will still be in the lead after December NPD, but the big question mark is what do the numbers settle into in off holiday months for PS4 v. XBO, and at what price does MS return to after holidays?

But I am bad at doing these puzzles, so in this case I've got nothing but deference to more skilled practitioners of the creamsugar arts :p

If they stay at $349 w/ no game pack ins after holidays, I'm thinking Xbox One can potentially catch up by August in US, if Sony doesn't cut the price before that point.

It would look close (I commented on this in post 3351). I'm not by a laptop to make one.

orochi91

Seriously impressive.

So MS only has a 700k gap to contend with.

Should be gone by the end of February.

Phil Spencer with that whole pre-season commentary was on the mark.

fedexpeon

Banned
Guess my turtle vs rabbit was right for NA.

Sony has been cruising for too long.
They depend on the EU too much to gain a big WW lead. Sony only considers NA as a throwaway sex-friend and only talks about NA to the press like if they were bragging to the world how many girls they have slept with.
Good thing Valentine is coming up, and Sony better gives NA a better deal if they want NA to open up that gap again for Sony to insert more userbase into NA.

Madness

Nooo. That's a kick to the balls to one of the best insiders neogaf has. I'm not eveb sure he will ever return after this.

Kick to the balls what? It ruins NeoGAF credibility to have unverified stuff stated as fact. Do you know how influential this board is? People on reddit and twitter were already talking about CBoaT numbers when they're found to not be true.

Likewise, he did the same for TitanFall and was proven wrong by developers. If he wants to share info cool, but have some perspective. Don't come into the most anticipated NPD thread in a year, drop a vague number on the first page of all places, completely derail discussion and not back it up with facts or why he even stated that number.

And if you notice I never once acknowledged those number as real. I had doubts and maybe I should have called his bluff but I did not see an NPD report and didn't want to start spouting fake nonsense.

I also called out Abdiel when he was saying Playstation was outselling MS shortly after the price drop. If these insiders are gonna give info they need to message hard numbers to the mods like I typically do if I'm going to make a public statement.

Has CBOAT been banned yet?
I don't think Abdiel is at fault really; they were just going by anecdotal evidence, what they observed simply in their area. I don't know what the flip CBOAT was on but it sure as hell made for a fun few early pages of meltdowns and salt reservoirs xD.

Top Bottom