• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Aeqvitas

From what I gather, it was originally slated for a big marketing push but then Square-Enix broke rank by outing the PS4/PC versions and putting up the pre-orders. When that happened, the relationship 'soured' and the push got downgraded to a whimper.

At least, that's what I understood from Kagari's posts.

That is what I figured happened. I wouldn't be surprised if SE broke the contract by officially confirming multiplat release dates and the result is that MS pulled almost all marketing funds, but kept the exclusivity in return for not suing. I can't imagine a world where MS would have agreed to let SE publicly gut the exclusivity deal before the game would launch.

I really hope the game has legs on the XB and gets solid numbers on PC/PS4, because it is an amazing game.

That is what I figured happened. I wouldn't be surprised if SE broke the contract by officially confirming multiplat release dates and the result is that MS pulled almost all marketing funds, but kept the exclusivity in return for not suing. I can't imagine a world where MS would have agreed to let SE publicly gut the exclusivity deal before the game would launch.

I really hope the game has legs on the XB and gets solid numbers on PC/PS4, because it is an amazing game.

It's not a stretch to imagine both companies are quite sour with each other after this disaster of a business deal.

One thing I don't understand about the Tomb Raider deal. I get why Microsoft wanted it. It's in a genre with an audience that skews heavily Playstation and towards Europe and one where they are lacking a compelling IP of their own. It's where the majority of sales are. They want that audience hence the exclusivity deal. It didn't work out, but I can understand why they'd do it.

But if they're going to do it to atract a certain audience, why not do it properly? The bundle was supposedly exclusive to Best Buy in America? And isn't even present in the region (EU) they're trying to court with said deal? If they weren't going to bother to try everything needed to gain the audience they wanted, why bother with the deal in the first place?

The Tomb Raider official bundle is available in mainland European countries such as France and Germany
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B015XXQ2NM/

UK didn't get the official bundle but it was used in many retailers own bundles and promotions. I think UK could order via MS though.

GnawtyDog

Banned
so i guess we have a regular cod bundle 500gb coming out soon? listed for 349

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110190

maybe this will be part of the 299 price promo after the 19th. reading through the blog post announcing the 299 bundles they didn't necessarily say the 299 price will only last till the 19th but just those bundles will be 299 till the 19th.

Damn. This is going to rake till Drake hits.

That Spring build up until March. My goodness.

Shahed

If that happened shouldn't there be a noticeable decline in marketing effort in a specific time period?

It'd be pretty dumb though and funny MS didn't put it into the contract.

I have no idea. I know I saw a lot of Fallout ads and I mean a lot. They were everywhere but I can only recall a few Tomb Raider ones despite launching the same week.

The Tomb Raider official bundle is available in mainland European countries such as France and Germany
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B015XXQ2NM/

UK didn't get the official bundle but it was used in many retailers own bundles and promotions. I think UK could order via MS though.

I guess I was mistaken. I knew we never received an official bundle here in the UK since I actually looked for it. Hadn't heard of one for mainland Europe either so I assumed they didn't get one incorrectly.

Elandyll

Banned
New Amazon update for December

#2: PS4 BF bundle
#13: PS4 UC bundle
#19: WiiU Mario Kart8 bundle
#36: XB1 Geow bundle
#63: XB1 Holiday bundle

If Sony extends the promo to the 26th, and MS doesn't do any additional sale for the remaining two weeks or so, it could end up being quite lopsided.

If Sony extends the promo to the 26th, and MS doesn't do any additional sale for the remaining two weeks or so, it could end up being quite lopsided.

Wow... Halo bundle out of the top 100?

Elandyll

Banned
Wow... Halo bundle out of the top 100?

Don't see it in either hourly or monthly atm.

edit: This being said, imo, the Holidays are all about price, and $299- $349 is where it's at. With 4 bundles (2 PS4, 2 XB1) at $299, anything priced above will have a tough time imo.

I can't wait to revisit this list once TFA comes out.

DC1

I am sure, Lara will do fine on PC.

But I am scared for the PS4 version, because of it potentially releasing next to big new games like FFXV, Horizon, Mass Effect: Andromeda etc.
The same mistake will not be made twice. Cluster Fu@js of this proportion are rarely repeated.

Tomb Raider bundle is available in Europe since launch, but only on Amazon Europe ( .de, .fr. .co.uk etc. )

amazon co.uk didn't get the bundle and UK didn't get the bundle. Only a third party could list it on amazon uk

Also you're wrong about only on amazon. Gamestop Ireland also sold it.

Just so you know Ireland is not part of the UK

maybe cream will do a 3ds hint when he makes his return.

What was it last year? I'll go out on a limb and assume it's down YOY

Yes, you're right. Down significantly year-over-year, unfortunately.

3DS Software Sales were also very disappointing.

Not a good month for the platform.

mejin

It spooked sony into competing this holiday lol.

Microsoft: Pre-season is over, understand?

tumblr_inline_nu3vcyw5I81sbxr31_540.gif

Don't see it in either hourly or monthly atm.

edit: This being said, imo, the Holidays are all about price, and $299- $349 is where it's at. With 4 bundles (2 PS4, 2 XB1) at $299, anything priced above will have a tough time imo.
Yep. I didn't get the Halo bundle because the only one I could find was $449, regardless of what was in it. Cant believe they didn't do a $299 Halo bundle with a regular console.

One thing I don't understand about the Tomb Raider deal. I get why Microsoft wanted it. It's in a genre with an audience that skews heavily Playstation and towards Europe and one where they are lacking a compelling IP of their own. It's where the majority of sales are. They want that audience hence the exclusivity deal. It didn't work out, but I can understand why they'd do it.

But if they're going to do it to atract a certain audience, why not do it properly? The bundle was supposedly exclusive to Best Buy in America? And isn't even present in the region (EU) they're trying to court with said deal? If they weren't going to bother to try everything needed to gain the audience they wanted, why bother with the deal in the first place?

On top of other avenues that other people said, it's important to remember this deal was cemented latest by July/August 2013. Last year, before MS's tier-2 launch and MS's 349 AssCreed holiday madness.

I sincerely believe that at that point of time, MS was still confident that they had a small, a very small chance at beating PS4. Use their raw American market muscle to wrestle leadership from Sony, and make a grand push with their exclusives that appeal to European regions, etc.

However, last holiday proves that even with XB1s available in Europe, the large, large majority doesn't care for XB1 and PS4 overwhelms despite strong gain by MS in US.

Sometime from then till now, I think MS has accepted Europe is a lost cause, Tomb Raider or not, and has decided that safeguarding their US/UK bank is more important that divesting resources for whatever scraps they can gain in Europe.

Me too, Fallout was way better back then.

Ain't that the truth.

Fallout 4 numbers ending up being lower then I expected and actually put Battlefront numbers in a much better light.

Also, holy crap the Battlefront bundle did work. Having it at a $299 price point as Force Awakens comes out?

I don't even know if the extra week will help MS in December at this rate.

Yoday

Yep. I didn't get the Halo bundle because the only one I could find was $449, regardless of what was in it. Cant believe they didn't do a $299 Halo bundle with a regular console.
Their bundles still baffle me. The Tomb Raider and Fallout Bundles make sense, but everything else is pretty bad. How they didn't have a 1TB Halo bundle for $349 and a 500GB Minecraft bundle for $299 blows my mind. I mean seriously, how do they buy a kid magnet of a franchise in Minecraft and not make a $299 bundle for the holidays?

All the things that went wrong with Rise of the Tomb Raider:

Announced exclusivity
Confirmed PC and PS4 versions in advance
Releasing in November
Releasing the same day as Fallout 4
Making an Xbox One bundle exclusive to Best Buy
Making said exclusive bundle the 1TB model so it had no shot at $400
No promotion from Microsoft or Square Enix.

What a shit show that turned into.

People keep saying no promotion from Microsoft but in Australia the game was advertised everywhere, and was constantly on TV.
Relatively small market I guess though... :p

I wonder how many people will be buying SW bundles, not knowing that it will require an Internet connection and additional-cost subscription to even play it. Personal anecdote, my mom was about to buy my nephew a $299 SW bundle, but after talking to me and learning about the online and PS+ requirement she went for the NDC bundle.

They will probably actually boot the game up and find the missions mode where you get to play against the AI in Hero Battles, Battles, & Survival mode all with several difficulty modes to select from along with all the weapons being available (unlike multi player where you have to slowly unlock them). Along with having 8 unique maps. Not to mention the training modes. All available offline.

Before giving out misinformed advice to others I would suggest to do more reading/research or the very least, actually play the game yourself.

noshten

Microsoft should bundle Halo 5 a lot better in December otherwise it might not even make it to 2 million by the end of the year. The bundles in November were clearly not trying to push it enough.

Hugstable

Banned
Microsoft should bundle Halo 5 a lot better in December otherwise it might not even make it to 2 million by the end of the year.

Yeah I have no clue what they were thinking with that one bundle. That controller is ugly as hell, especially with that metallic blue randomly on the dpad. I would have been down to get a Halo bundle, but only if it was like a regular black or white box. Plus only comes in 1 gig which raises the price more and I only needed a 500gig since I already had a 2TB mybook waiting. Went with the Gear bundle instead and have been enjoying it, probably think about getting Halo next year if it hits 40$ sometime, or maybe even that Limited Edition that was like 250$, but only if it drops to like 80$ or less (it was already like 99$ on amazon yesterday lol)

Top Bottom