• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Tideas

Banned
Frillen said:
74k is pretty bad all things considered. Don't try spin it away.

bad for what? Games in general? sure. But bad for a Ratchet game? No it isn't.

Look at how much deadlock sold its first 2 weeks and you'll see similar results

Gamer @ Heart said:
I think the huge growing Wii install base will be good for games like Metroid. It did well, but i expect it to keep selling slowly throughout its lifespan especially after the price drop.

Yeah, the momentum and Chirstmas could make Corruptions' legs longer.
At least I hope that in the long term it will outsell Echoes.

Btw, how much sold Metroid Prime 2 Echoes on Gamecube in NA ?

So this huge November that people are predicting for the PS3, what kind of numbers are we talking.

And what percent of these can be attributed to the actual price cut (rather than the usual holiday jump)?

I guess that would be hard to work out.

OldJadedGamer said:
So where are all the people now that said the that Wii guitar hero would be the best selling version?

Too busy playing their 360 version.

justjohn said:
poor poor uncharted. i see a similar fate for it. i hate ps3 owners right now. why are these mutherfuckers not buying the games. the fuck are doing with the console? humping it every night :lol
Isn't it still the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market? Head over to the AVS forums where it seems half of them own it ONLY for movie watching.

OldJadedGamer said:
So where are all the people now that said the that Wii guitar hero would be the best selling version?

Who said that was crazy. But anyway, it sold quite well. I think that nobody can say that these are bad numbers.

Leonsito

It was PGR4 first month ? :(

I've had PGR3 for two weeks and it's awesome, the continuation should be better and do better sales, buy it people!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
OldJadedGamer said:

I don't know that many people who said that, but it did pretty well compared to 360 and blew PS3 out of the water. I'd say Activision is very pleased with its performance.

Pachael

knitoe said:
Knew PGR4 would have bad numbers:

1) Came out in month with way too many good games.

2) Should have been PGR, next year Forza, next year PGR and repeat. Stupid to release them in same year.

Forza was originally planned for 2006, like you said in 2), and MS were planning for this sequence: PGR3 in 2005, Forza 2 in 2006, PGR4 in 2007 etc.

Much like Viva Pinata, PGR4 is getting railroaded by the big game shooter (Gears, Halo 3).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I object to the low R&C sales! Motherfuckers, buy that game!

Xellos

Any numbers for Zack & Wiki? I assume it bombed, but it would be nice if it managed at least 30k or so.

Also wow at the PS3 and R&C. They've got a lot riding on that $400 unit. And even if HW sales increase, will the software sales follow suit?

Tideas said:
bad for what? Games in general? sure. But bad for a Ratchet game? No it isn't.

Look at how much deadlock sold its first 2 weeks and you'll see similar results

Deadlock? This was advertised and promoted and even REVIEWED as a massively high profile and excellent exclusive PS3 game. Was Deadlocked given the same treatment for PS2??

spwolf

1-D_FTW said:
What are you saying? The NPD period went through Nov. 3rd. 40GB officially launched on Nov. 2nd and some retailers broke that release date early (Like Target.) There are units sold included in that. Sure it's offset by nobody wanting to buy prior to its release, but 40GB figures are not completely absent.

from 29th until 12th, PS3 sold 175k... Obviously some of that went into October, but also obviously not a whole lot, lol.

Poor RC! Hopefully pick up from holiday sales will help it sell decently over holidays, with nudge from marketing.

edit: no wonder Sony issued that PR - to stop their stock going down, lol!

Loudninja

reilo said:
I object to the low R&C sales! Motherfuckers, buy that game!

I know right? sad

I'll say it again- then their PR last night was a lie. They said that for the week of Oct 29th, i.e a week INCLUDED in this NPD, sales were 75K.

So you know more than Sony now?right.... I though so

dyls

OldJadedGamer said:

I'm not sure who said that, but after seeing these numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii ends up being the best-selling version (of course, only if you exclude the versions w/o guitar)

Lightning

Banned
Does anyone have first month data for Ratchet in NA? Because this is depressing. This bomb is uncalled for, there are supposed to be over 2mil PS3 owners in NA. What the fuck are they doing with their PS3's? Watching Bluray movies while all software bombs... great fucking idea Sony.

Ratchet better have legs... *sad panda*

Leonsito

I can totally see Wii going to 900k in November, Xbox360 at 700k and PS3 at 400k.

I have huge expectations for the three.

Haunted

yay Wii

Xisiqomelir said:
HELL YES

HAPPY TIME IS HERE

I derive the most satisfaction from knowing that you "bububu Sales-Age is destroying teh GAFs" whining crybabies are probably devastated by this day week and thread. Too bad, develop some fucking elementary numeracy, then maybe you can join the big-boy party instead of drooling like genetic regressives while finger-painting on cave walls with cockroach ichor. Oh god how I love thee, NPD thread. Props to driley for sticking by us, and here's to hoping we see even more public release for ourselves and Yurop until parity with the JPN tracking agencies is achieved.
:eek: :eek: Fuck yeah! :lol

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Shit. Just I hope that Galaxy will sell gazillions in NA or I'll become furious !

Ratchet, Zack & Wiki, PGR4... lots of good games not getting the sales they deserve this month. :/

And the PS3 numbers are just embarrassing at this point.

dankir

Frankfurter said:
Maths apparently is pretty different in the USA :D

I forgot about the PS2 my math was still correct!

It was the second guy who calculated it wrong, the PSP needs to sell 214k Units so SonyDefenseForce can claim the Playstation Family outsold everybody else.

Talamius

dyls said:
How in the world is it possible that the Wii can sell 519K in October, and still be going for upwards of $400 on Amazon?

People are going make some cash on eBay thanks to the Wii this year.

Tideas

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
You're comparing Tools of Destruction to Deadlocked? ....

Why not? They're both Ratchet games. Honestly, you ppl really have high expectations.

Anyway, here's the result for NPD when Ratchet deadlocked was released.

Rank Title Publisher
1 XBX STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II LucasArts
2 PS2 STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II LucasArts
3 360 CALL OF DUTY 2 Activision
4 PS2 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts
5 PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2 THQ
6 360 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts
7 PSP GTA: LIBERTY CITY STORIES Take 2 Interactive
8 PS2 TONY HAWK AMERICAN WASTELAND Activision
9 GCN MARIO PARTY 7 Nintendo
10 NDS MARIO KART Nintendo
11 PS2 50 CENT: BULLETPROOF Vivendi
12 PS2 CALL OF DUTY 2: BIG RED ONE Activision
13 360 NEED FOR SPEED: MOST WANTED Electronic Arts
14 PS2 SOUL CALIBUR III Namco
15 PS2 DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENK Atari
16 PS2 NBA LIVE 06 Electronic Arts
17 PS2 BLITZ: THE LEAGUE Midway
18 PS2 NEED FOR SPEED: MOST WANTED Electronic Arts
19 PS2 RATCHET: DEADLOCKED Sony
20 PSP STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II LucasArts
21 360 PERFECT DARK ZERO LTD ED Microsoft
22 PS2 SOCOM 3: US NAVY SEALS Sony
23 PS2 GUN Activision
24 PS2 THE MATRIX: PATH OF NEO Atari
25 XBX CALL OF DUTY 2: BIG RED ONE Activision

Bishman

sonycowboy said:
More SW:

NR Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS3) 105,800

NR Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP) 98,100
NR Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3) 74,500
NR Project Gotham Racing 4 (Xbox 360) 38,300

Poor GH3 & Ratchet. What the hell happened to PGR4

And from our prediction thread.

[360 Ace Combat 6] = 92.5K
[360 Guitar Hero III] = 490.9K
[360 Halo 3] = 394.5K
[360 The Orange Box] = 238.4K
[NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass] = 262.8K
[PS2 Guitar Hero III] = 502.7K
[PS3 Ratchet & Clank Future] = 74.5K
[PS3 Guitar Hero III] = 105.8K
[WII Guitar Hero III] = 286.3K
[WII Metroid Prime 3] = 45.2K

Ouch at PS3's GH and R&C. 74.5k is really low. What are PS3 users buying? It is like everyone has a PS3 but buying games for their Wii or 360.

And ouch at MP3's numbers. November and December will give a good boost though as everyone gets in gear for Christmas shopping. You can add +1 for November NPD as I get my MP3 copy next week with TRU B2G1 deal.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
dyls said:
How in the world is it possible that the Wii can sell 519K in October, and still be going for upwards of $400 on Amazon?

http://www.uploadandgo.com/images/wii.jpg[IMG]

Even GH3, which is also sold out, is in that top three.[/QUOTE]

Why isn't Galaxy sold out? Even if Wii hit's 1 Million in November, without Galaxy it's pointless.

spwolf

schuelma said:
I'll say it again- then their PR last night was a lie. They said that for the week of Oct 29th, i.e a week INCLUDED in this NPD, sales were 75K.

until when did NPD track? 3rd?

Lightning said:
Does anyone have first month data for Ratchet in NA? Because this is depressing. This bomb is uncalled for, there are supposed to be over 2mil PS3 owners in NA. What the fuck are they doing with their PS3's? Watching Bluray movies while all software bombs... great fucking idea Sony.

Ratchet better have legs... *sad panda*

I keep telling you. Except for about 200,000 of them, they all have 360's. It's the same userbase that had no interest in Blue Dragon or Viva Pinata, no matter how good they were or how awesome they looked.

C4Lukins

OldJadedGamer said:

I thought it would have been closer to the 360 version. The amazon charts had it higher for the most part, and it was up there for a really long time. It is also the type of game that is perfect for the Wii player base, it is not competing for players with Rock Band, and it did not have an earlier version like the 360 or an expansion pack like the PS2 that came out less then a year earlier. And lets face it, the Wii has not had a ton of stellar games in recent months for it to compete with for consumer dollars.

GhaleonEB

Opus Angelorum said:
So this huge November that people are predicting for the PS3, what kind of numbers are we talking.
It needs to sell more than the 360 did last year at the same price - 511k. If they can't move that given what they pack into the box, they're still in pretty deep trouble.

dyls

Talamius said:
People are going make some cash on eBay thanks to the Wii this year.

They had a couple at TRU on Monday night when I was trying to pick up SMG. I was very close to grabbing one and putting it up for bid.

No6

Gamer @ Heart said:
I think the huge growing Wii install base will be good for games like Metroid. It did well, but i expect it to keep selling slowly throughout its lifespan especially after the price drop.
40k is not well, it's dead. The wii install base has exploded by a million over the last two months and both months saw over 50% drops for MP3. Trickle sales aren't going to tell Nintendo "make more of this"; most of the money a publisher gets comes from the initial sales when they charge the most to the retailer for the game.
Is this PGR4's first month?
No, it came out when Halo came out. That said, last month wasn't too good, either. PGR is basically dead. Long live Forza.

Shepherd said:
No PS3 software in the top 10. Passing the 360 in Software sales will be near impossible this gen.
wii will be able to, as soon as nintendo figures out the masses want various wii sports titles...im thinking next year we will be hit with a true wii sports sequel as well as various mario sports titles

and this makes me sad

overall impressive numbers, i know ive said it before but wii sales have to be about to bottom out. im thinking around march the us and jpn wii numbers will be very similar

Top Bottom