• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
My (horrible) prediction for November's top 10:

1. Modern Warfare 2 (360)
2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
3. Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
4. Assassin's Creed 2 (360)
5. Left 4 Dead 2
6. Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3)
7. Wii Fit Plus
8. Dragon Age (360)
9. Wii Sports Resort
10. Tony Hawk Ride Uncharted 2

Oni Jazar

Uncharted 2 should have sold better. Every PS3 owner should have it. Sony has a real problem in matching the blockbusters that Microsoft first party has.

Grecco

yeah any prediction for next months charts has to have Dragon Age on it.

CW DS came out in March this year :p
But I agree that they were nuts with the price. $20 would have been perfect

It still sells for 29.99 on DS. With an updated graphics engine, theres no chance in hell it would sell for cheaper on PSP.

Oni Jazar said:
Uncharted 2 should have sold better. Every PS3 owner should have it. Sony has a real problem in matching the blockbusters that Microsoft first party has.

Isn't Halo the only major selling actual first party MS title though? Rest have been third party games they got exclusivity too.

Shurs

Oni Jazar said:

I agree. I think part of it may be the "connected" feeling that Live (Gold) users speak of. I've heard some people say that the first thing they do is see what people on their Friends List are playing and either join them in game, or in party chat. This could lead to people migrating to and from titles together, whereas it appears that PS3 owners spread their collective dollars around. Again, this is purely conjecture, as I only have a PS3 and look at what people on my Friends List are playing when I start up the system, but rarely do I actually play anything with them.

BattleMonkey said:
Isn't Halo the only major selling actual first party MS title though? Rest have been third party games they got exclusivity too.

Fable 2 sold really well.

Didn't Arthur on Rebel FM think Brutal Legend on Xbox 360 would outsell Uncharted 2? Yeesh.

I kind of saw it comming with Forza 3. A lot of people got a free Forza 2 as a pack in a few months after release, which hurts the value of the game in consumers eyes. If they got it and decided to never play it, what sense does it make to jump into a new $60 version. I think the fanbase is dwindling for driving sims, and for racing games in general. The obsessive and super skilled audience is being serviced by shooters now. I think it would be wise to taper expectations for Gran Turismo as well.

Shurs said:
Fable 2 sold really well.

But nowhere near what people are asking for with multi million copies in a few weeks or to match Gears, Halo, GTA, Modern Warfare levels of success. Last we heard of Fable 2 it had also did over 1 mil worldwide and eventually did 2.6mil ww, and haven't heard much of it since, which KZ2 and Uncharted 2 have done as well in a few weeks. Uncharted 1 according to Sony did 2.6 million as well when all was said and done, though that seems to be a slower burner and involved bundles, course Fable was also bundled remember.

Yoboman

Class_A_Ninja said:
Didn't Arthur on Rebel FM think Brutal Legend on Xbox 360 would outsell Uncharted 2? Yeesh.

I kind of saw it comming with Forza 3. A lot of people got a free Forza 2 as a pack in a few months after release, which hurts the value of the game in consumers eyes. If they got it and decided to never play it, what sense does it make to jump into a new $60 version. I think the fanbase is dwindling for driving sims, and for racing games in general. The obsessive and super skilled audience is being serviced by shooters now. I think it would be wise to taper expectations for Gran Turismo as well.
Prologue sold over 4 million. That fanbase is still there, it could dwindle and still be enormous

JGS

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Over 500k iirc. This is why two other CoD have followed through on the DS :p

CW DS came out in March this year :p
But I agree that they were nuts with the price. $20 would have been perfect.

The list price is still $30 for the DS version.

orion434

Man I'm off on my console predictions this month... I overshot X360 by > 100K and undershot the Wii by around the same. I overshot the PS3 by 30K but I didn't think that the X360 would be down so much year over year. This holiday season will be interesting for all.

Shurs

BattleMonkey said:
But nowhere near what people are asking for with multi million copies in a few weeks or to match Gears, Halo, GTA, Modern Warfare levels of success. Last we heard of Fable 2 it had also did over 1 mil worldwide and haven't heard much of it since, which KZ2 and Uncharted 2 have done as well in a few weeks.

Fable 2 sold nearly one million copies in its first two months in America alone. You're right, it's not a cultural phenomenon, but it's a very strong launch.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yoboman said:
Prologue sold over 4 million. That fanbase is still there, it could dwindle and still be enormous

shipped, worldwide, and i'll call bullshit on those numbers anyway, because it's below 600k in the us (note: actually might be over 600k right now, i don't have npd numbers to know) and just above 500k in japan, and europe ain't making up the difference.

Stumpokapow said:
shipped, worldwide, and i'll call bullshit on those numbers anyway, because it's below 600k in the us and just above 500k in japan, and europe ain't making up the difference.

Didn't they announce it sold 1 million in europe alone it's first week?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
BORDERLANDS is a PERFECT example of what happens when a publisher properly Push a game.

the commercials were everywhere, no drama just solid marketing for what seems to be a solid game.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
BORDERLANDS is a PERFECT example of what happens when a publisher properly Push a game.

the commercials were everywhere, no drama just solid marketing for what seems to be a solid game.

Yep the game had very little buzz and what seemed like negative attention for about a year before and suddenly its coming out and boom it's commercial and ads plastered everywhere and everyone talking about it. Borderlands also came out good time early before holiday big hitters and during a somewhat drought of new shooters.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Class_A_Ninja said:

Forza never really sold that well out of the gate no? I don't think you can infer anything about main series GT sales based on that. GT5P alone sold some ridiculous numbers to date.

radjago

bcn-ron said:
This got requested ...
Do you have data for PS2 and DS too? I'd like to see PS2 vs DS vs Wii launch-aligned charts.

TruHero

Banned
Another interesting month. Glad to see Uncharted2 and NBA 2k10 do well. Excellent games.

ODST dropoff was expected. A game like that is a front-loaded game.

And I'd LOVE to be in the MS Xbox offices right now. They know they should just cut the Pro SKU down to $200 and eliminated all other SKUs.

jrricky

Banned
obaidr said:
DS has a higher attachrate with a completely different target group. A huge part of the hardware was sold to hockey (grand)moms and their kids. A group with very low interest and abilities in pirating games. PSP on the other hand sold almost only to boys between 12 and 25. If you look at sales number of games for ONLY that target group on DS you will see they suffer from the same effect. China town wars is only one example. How many copies did modern warfare sold on DS or Fifa and Basketball? Those games sell even better on PSP.
No, sir. There are no basketball games on the DS.

Get your facts straight......or GTFO!

People should get banned for throwing out false/uninformed statements like this.

jay said:
Holy shit, it's like the HD console fanboy on steroids.

I love how the "master race" posturing ignores that the HD consoles help subsidize every game in between Valve/Blizzard PC releases.

Anyway, good month for Wii hardware, atrocious for 360 HW, great for Uncharted and Borderlands.

I can't believe how much GTA PSP bombed, as I said last month the platform is dead in this country, the Assassin's Creed sales will be the equivalent of pissing on its corpse.

November should be interesting. Can Borderlands duplicate Left 4 Dead's breakout success and have legs? I think so, but it will land just outside of the top 10 with >200k sales.

Top 10
MW2 360
MW2 PS3
NSMB Wii
Assassin's Creed 2 360
Wii Fit Plus
Wii Sports Resort
Assassin's Creed 2 PS3
Left 4 Dead 2
Dragon Age 360
GTA Episodes

jrricky said:
No, sir. There are no basketball games on the DS.

Get your facts straight......or GTFO!

People should get banned for throwing out false/uninformed statements like this.

There is that Mario basketball game. GTFO! :lol

kswiston

Uncharted 2 will have a hard time making the top 10 next month.

You have both MW2s, both Assassin's Creeds, NSMB, and LFD2. That's six of your top 10. Dragon Age (360) will likely be in there as well. Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and Fable 2 all sold very well on the 360 in the past, so there is an audience for big budget wrpgs. With black Friday coming up, Wii sales are also going to skyrocket. Increased hardware sales is going to lead to increased software sales of Nintendo's first party games. Wii Sports Resorts and Wii Fit Plus will both break 500k next month, beating Uncharted 2.

As I see it 9 out of the top 10 for November are locked up. Uncharted 2 may slip in at ninth or tenth (depending on how Dragon Age performs). If DA:O (ps3) or the God of War Collection sell well, than Uncharted 2 will be bumped altogether.

However, not making the top 10 in November or December is not and indicator of bad legs on Uncharted 2. I think the releases this year are a lot closer to the 2007 release schedule than the 2008 release schedule (Nov 2007 also had Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, a big Mario title, and a Bioware rpg). The cut off point for the top 10 in Nov 2007 was 377k in sales. The cut off point for December 2007 was 613k with no major releases for the month. If this year's top 10 cut off points are similar, Uncharted 2 could easily coast by 1M on the NPD charts and never hit the Top 10 in November or December.

donny2112

user_nat said:
Can't really see MW2 pushing hardware. If you didn't buy the console for CoD2/3/4/5, why now for 6?

Because your system was banned. Maybe Microsoft intentionally started the ban wave before releasing the MW2 bundle for that purpose. :lol

Stumpokapow said:
I'm kinda blown away that it's possible that Europe would make up the difference. *shakes head*.

Hasn't Europe always been the biggest selling territory for the GT games?

Game bundled also obviously also helped.

Taurus said:
Segata Sanshiro got banned?

What the hell happened here when I was sleeping?! :eek:

This is an injustice. We demand the culprit be brought before the people and punished, and the people's hero exonerated.

jmdajr

Danthrax said:
UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (PS3) 537,000
WII FIT PLUS (WII) 441,000
BORDERLANDS (360) 418,000
WII SPORTS RESORT (WII) 314,000
NBA 2K10 (360) 311,000
HALO 3: ODST (360) 271,000
NBA 2K10 (PS3) 213,000
FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360) 175,000
KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS (NDS) 169,000
FIFA SOCCER 10 (360) 156,000
BRUTAL LEGEND (360) 150,000
BORDERLANDS (PS3) 113,000
DEMONS SOULS (PS3) >100k
TEKKEN 6 (PS3) >100k
RATCHET AND CLANK (PS3) ~100k
TEKKEN 6 (360) <100k
BRUTAL LEGEND (PS3) 66,000
DJ HERO (360) 62,000
DJ HERO (PS3) 39,000
DJ HERO (WII) 19,000
BORDERLANDS (PC) 15,000
GTA CHINATOWN WARS (PSP) <10k
A BOY AND HIS BLOB (WII) <10k (less than GTA)
DJ HERO (PS2) 3,300

tekken3 sold better on ps3. Yup, that d-makes makes all the difference in my opinion.
Same result for street fighter 4.

man borderland pc sales are kinda poopy.

demon souls did good for being super niche.

psp game sales are pathetic

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
jmdajr said:
man borderland pc sales are kinda poopy.
Because US retail, for all intents and purposes, is dead. Most of the Borderlands sales probably occurred at digital distribution sites. It was topping the Steam charts for about two weeks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DarkMehm said:
which you called bullshit on.

Oh, sorry, that was a misunderstanding.

I was saying I knew those numbers to be worldwide and shipped, but even if I didn't, I'd call bullshit on them being sales numbers because of the known US/JPN sales. I didn't mean to call bullshit on the shipment numbers, since clearly no one is going to waltz in here and just invent numbers whole cloth :p

Tekken 6 2.5 million shipped, holy shit theres a ton of copies sitting on shelves :lol

I can believe it, our local Best Buy has an entire cage of Tekken 6 and it's been there for like 2 weeks now and has not gotten smaller. Mountain of the stick bundles as well and it's not shrunken at all either. Retailers got stuffed with this turkey.

jett

D-Member
I gotta feel sorry for EA. For the last 12 months of so they've been putting out quality, ORIGINAL content for the first time since god knows when, and none has truly succeeded.

Are they just in denial about fighting games being a fading genre or something? They really should be dialing back the budgets on these games.

BattleMonkey said:
Tekken 6 2.5 million shipped, holy shit theres a ton of copies sitting on shelves :lol

I can believe it, our local Best Buy has an entire cage of Tekken 6 and it's been there for like 2 weeks now and has not gotten smaller. Mountain of the stick bundles as well and it's not shrunken at all either. Retailers got stuffed with this turkey.

Well, there is Street Fighter 4 to compete with, which sold pretty good

While Wii sales are down YTY, it still got over half a million for October which is great coming into November(NSMBWii)

None of the games last month sold spectacularly though. That will change for November. The question is whether MW2 or NSMBWii will sell better

jmdajr

Archie said:
Because US retail, for all intents and purposes, is dead. Most of the Borderlands sales probably occurred at digital distribution sites. It was topping the Steam charts for about two weeks.

I see. So there isn't a chart for digital downloads?

Top Bottom